PDA

View Full Version : Late September/ Early October Elk

Brambles
09-04-2006, 11:57 AM
Who has had luck hunting elk during this time? I will be hunting for myself earlier than this but my buddy took some time off for hunting and I'll be taking him out, he wants to try his hand at primarily elk but will take any legal deer we see as well.

From my experiance they may or may not be bugling during this time. However its cooler so the elk might be moving more than the early season. Some feedback on strategies would be great.
Anyone have luck glassing cutblocks in the early A.M. and late P.M. I have never hunted elk like that but with the lack of open country its the next best thing...

Normally I just get them bugling and stalk them in the bush.

Brambles

mainland hunter
09-04-2006, 02:37 PM
ive only hunted elk either in early oct-late october. would like to do a sept. hunt sometime but it always works out that way. they dont come to calls from what ive experienced. they will answer the odd time but to get a bull you gotta work. ive seen some bulls that time of year but have had to get way away from the roads although some guys in my group have seen them right close to main roads. this is just what ive experienced, ive only hunted them a few times so there's probably others on here with more info

bwhnter
09-04-2006, 03:26 PM
Got a 5x6 on the first day of the season this year, a 6x6 on the 3rd day last year and a 6x7 on the first day the year before. The bull this year was pushed to us by some other hunters and my buddy shot him @ 115 yards on the move. The bull last year we called in a couple of times but we were trying to get him with a bow and things didn't work out so we took my Dad in on the third day and just waited on the edge of the meadow he nailed him with a 250 yrd shot. The 6x7 I shot a couple of years ago came in from a couple of km and I arrowed him @ 50yrds. He screamed the whole way in and still tried to bugle after I put my arrow through his boiler room. I have noticed that a lot of early season bulls will come in if you can get close enough to them but alot of them will come in silently.
Good Luck

Schmaus
09-04-2006, 04:35 PM
I got calls up until around the 25 of september last year and then they didn't respond to me any more.

BCrams
09-04-2006, 09:21 PM
We played 2 different bulls at the same time last year on October 8th but the problem was that both had cows with them.

Husky7mm
09-05-2006, 11:27 AM
Last year during the end of elk season, the bulls would answer a cow call but not come in. It was a lot of fun.