PDA

View Full Version : Gang Ranch/Big Creek

Getbent
08-17-2011, 08:34 PM
Got a mid september hunt coming up and the nearest town will be Big Creek.
Just wondering if anyone knows if there is diesel available there, or even at the gang ranch...kinda doubt it but thought I'd ask.

Should end up down by Taseko Lakes. Haven't been into this area before and we are looking forward to an adventure for sure. Anybody hunted this area (5-04) in the last couple of years?

Any info would be great!

cheers,

Getbent

pathfinder55
08-17-2011, 09:06 PM
Nearest fuel will be at Hanceville[Lee's Corner]...Peter

Whonnock Boy
08-17-2011, 09:10 PM
When I used to hunt around Chilko Lake the last place I would fuel up was Hanceville. I am pretty sure that they had diesel. I cannot remember if the last time I was there I had my gas pot or my diesel. They do not have fuel in the Gang. You have to go out to Dog Creek. If your draw is 5-4 B, and your destination is Taseko, your probably better off going in out of Hanceville. Can you even get to Taseko from Big Creek? Looking on Google Earth, there does not seem to be a connecting road to the road that I have taken out to Chilko.

Big Lew
08-17-2011, 09:20 PM
No fuel at the Gang, closest would be Hanceville (Lee's Corner). Fletcher Lake Resort used to sell gas (don't know if they have diesel) but I would be careful about getting any fuel from an elevated tank, which they had, in case they haven't been bleeding off the accumulated water from condensation, which they often don't, as I was unfortunate to find out. (They used to sell the best homemade sourdough bread you'll likely to find)

Ike
08-17-2011, 10:18 PM
Getbent,
5-04B is a big area and there are lots of great spots depending on which part of the area you want to focus on. One thing to keep in mind is that there will most certainly be a lot of other hunters and local pressure, you might want to get off the main roads and away from the beaten path.

Good luck and leave a couple of moose for me please ;)

XPEIer
08-18-2011, 06:32 AM
there is nothing at Riske Creek. Closest outlet at all is Hanceville.

Getbent
08-18-2011, 06:59 AM
The draw is for zone C actually, got great info from a guy that use to work at the gang ranch about the area but didnt talk to him about fuel yet.
No worries about getting off the beaten path, we don't mind grinding the leather.
We will be coming in from Clinton, we will pack some jerry's to be sure.
Pretty sure we can drop down into our area from Big Creek.
Been doing as much research as I can but really value all the info.

Thanks Guy's

Getbent
Spanking the Springs for now at the QA

Gateholio
08-18-2011, 07:26 AM
I've found that driving the backroads around there it is best to have a full tank and a few jerry cans of fuel too.

pg83
08-18-2011, 08:42 AM
You can deffinately get through from big creek to taseko. You pop onto the taseko lake road about 50-60km in from hanceville, but if it were me I would drive highway 20 to hanceville and then head down to taseko. You can fill up in Williams lake and then top up your tank in hanceville.

Ike
08-18-2011, 08:47 AM
5-4C is a nice looking area too. A couple of friends have had draws in 5-4B the last four or five years and have done really well, seem to be lots of moose around.

good luck and have fun

ElectricDyck
08-18-2011, 10:34 AM
You can deffinately get through from big creek to taseko. You pop onto the taseko lake road about 50-60km in from hanceville, but if it were me I would drive highway 20 to hanceville and then head down to taseko. You can fill up in Williams lake and then top up your tank in hanceville.

X2 Hancville diesel was quite expensive, best to just top up there rather than filling up.

Whonnock Boy
08-19-2011, 09:55 PM
The draw is for zone C actually

Am I missing something? I am assuming that by the time frame you quoted and the area you are hunting, you have been drawn for Moose in are 5-04 B. Area B also includes area C. There is not a draw for Moose in 5-04 C. I am guessing though that your target area is in area C. Just to clarify things.

pg83
08-20-2011, 08:01 AM
You are correct Whonnock Boy. You can apply for either zone A or B in 5-04. If you draw Zone B you can hunt Zone C as well. Doesn't really make sense, but that's the way it is.