PDA

View Full Version : Forest Fires

shapaz
08-17-2011, 04:00 PM
I am looking to hunt some areas in the Muska Kechika where i know there were forest fires a few years ago. Has anyone had any experience hunting areas after a fire. I am wondering how many years it takes for the new growth to really start coming in and the game to return.

Thank you

.300WSMImpact!
08-17-2011, 04:09 PM
down south it seems like 3 years, 2 seems a bit early

shapaz
08-17-2011, 04:14 PM
I've heard that there is a spike in ungulate populations in the years following a fire due to all the new growth. Is there any truth to that

.300WSMImpact!
08-17-2011, 04:21 PM
oh ya I can agree with that, and 6 to 7 years out you start to see big racks due to great vegetation,

rocksteady
08-17-2011, 04:29 PM
Depends.....

On the intensity of the fire that went through...Too intense will knock back the browse(willow) big time...Less intensity will rejuvenate it...

Depends on the species there to start with....Not much willow, will not get too much regrowth soon...

Depends on the time of the year....Early season fires have time/rain to regow faster...Late season fires tend to have a greater impact due to the drought conditions present that consume more stuff, at a higher intensity...

Depends if it was a ground fire or running crown fire....Hot ground fires tend to give off more heat to teh soils impacting the browse etc....Crown fires do not impact soil/roots as much....

Depends on teh sites productiivty to start with....Poor areas grow back slow after a burn, wet nutritional sites grow back quicker...

From my experience, fist year of regrowth after a fire is fire weed, next year you start to see willows/alders come back...Usually in the 3rd and 4th you see regeneration of the pines etc and the willows/alder really take off....By year 6 or 7 its thick as hair on a dogs back and great habitat...You can't see bugger all, but the critters feel safe on that environment (hiding cover and food)...

Not sure if that helps or just muddies the waters....

Crimson Viking
08-17-2011, 07:24 PM
3 years till u really get a good comeback of the deer, that is second hand info from a CO. That is why i'm not heading to my favorite Mule deer spot for a while , was a big fire there last year , and it was slim pickings.