PDA

View Full Version : Doe season in 8-4

cumminsforever
08-17-2011, 12:35 AM
What do you guys think of the doe season in region 8 I was so POD with the guys who came to this region n shot anything that moved. I saw so many fawns dead last year me n dad finely said F-it and I have been hunting with him for over 15 years now and never once did we stop hunting till we either filled our tags or season ended till last fall.

doubled
08-17-2011, 05:31 AM
IMO, it was needed. Whiteys are everywhere and need to be culled.

yukon john
08-17-2011, 05:54 AM
Whiteys are vermin, there is a billion of them all over NA better to leave the feed for the mulies

longwalk
08-17-2011, 06:27 AM
Hunters must be much better in that part of region 8. Where I hunted in 8-12 it was not the slaughter that the doom and gloomers predicted. The White Tailed does adapted pretty quickly.

cumminsforever
08-17-2011, 09:36 AM
Yeah there is lots of white tails but there was so many fricken hunters here from I dunno where that everyone I know here barely filled any tags at all when year before we coulda filled our tags three times over.

bearhunter338-06
08-17-2011, 09:41 AM
I'm looking forward to the doe season this year, hopping I'll be able to hunt by then.

Stone Sheep Steve
08-17-2011, 09:43 AM
It's good for the mulies.

SSS

walks with deer
08-17-2011, 11:49 AM
whiteys

hide in thick shit when under pressure get out of the truck were you know they live and they will be in there.

the doe hunt appeared to have little effect in region 3

Fisher-Dude
08-17-2011, 12:28 PM
Yeah there is lots of white tails but there was so many fricken hunters here from I dunno where that everyone I know here barely filled any tags at all when year before we coulda filled our tags three times over.

So really you're just all poopy-pants because some other guys had success while you sucked hind tit. Hilarious!

GoatGuy
08-17-2011, 02:28 PM
I saw so many fawns dead last year

Hunter harvested?

How many is so many?

Gateholio
08-17-2011, 02:33 PM
We are organizing a road trip to 8-4 for the doe season. Should be about 20 guys and their families. It's going to be great! :)

Ozone
08-17-2011, 02:48 PM
Fawns fit better on the BBQ

cumminsforever
08-17-2011, 03:21 PM
Hunter harvested?

How many is so many?

To many to count.

Fisher-dude no I'm not I just think it was a bad idea on the fish n wildlifes part to bring it in. Fields where you used to see hundreds of white tail for years last fall you would see maybe 10 I heard stories of people shooting deer in town limits, at night etc etc people didn't give a damn where they shot something. Every deer trail there was quad tracks going up and down. I did a lot of walking last year n still only filled one tag same with dad n a lot of people.

cumminsforever
08-17-2011, 03:22 PM
We are organizing a road trip to 8-4 for the doe season. Should be about 20 guys and their families. It's going to be great! :)

seems I made a slight mistake meant to put 8-1 in the title not 8-4

but stay away from rock creek it's mine:P

cumminsforever
08-17-2011, 03:26 PM

Lmao okay I like that reply lol

Gateholio
08-17-2011, 03:28 PM
seems I made a slight mistake meant to put 8-1 in the title not 8-4

but stay away from rock creek it's mine:P

No worries,we will go to 8-1, too! :)

cumminsforever
08-17-2011, 04:00 PM
No worries,we will go to 8-1, too! :)

lol sounds good lol.

coach
08-17-2011, 05:18 PM

Exceptional in fawn-do as well!

.300WSMImpact!
08-17-2011, 05:50 PM
IMO, it was needed. Whiteys are everywhere and need to be culled.

bull****, whitetail don't need to be culled,

.300WSMImpact!
08-17-2011, 06:00 PM
Whiteys are vermin, there is a billion of them all over NA better to leave the feed for the mulies

vermin no, good eating and fun tough hunting yes,

Stone Sheep Steve
08-17-2011, 07:24 PM
bull****, whitetail don't need to be culled,

Previous to last yr, I believe BC was the only area in NA not to have some kind of GOS on antlerless whities. Finally moving towards modern wildlife management...at least in some aspects

SSS

.300WSMImpact!
08-17-2011, 07:30 PM
Previous to last yr, I believe BC was the only area in NA not to have some kind of GOS on antlerless whities. Finally moving towards modern wildlife management...at least in some aspects

SSS

I do agree that the whitetail deer can sustain a doe season no problem

Fisher-Dude
08-17-2011, 09:16 PM
To many to count.

Fisher-dude no I'm not I just think it was a bad idea on the fish n wildlifes part to bring it in. Fields where you used to see hundreds of white tail for years last fall you would see maybe 10 I heard stories of people shooting deer in town limits, at night etc etc people didn't give a damn where they shot something. Every deer trail there was quad tracks going up and down. I did a lot of walking last year n still only filled one tag same with dad n a lot of people.

From all reports, harvest of WT does was very low last year. Butchers and biologists were surprised that more weren't taken.

You're just not that good a hunter if you couldn't find them. :wink: They aren't so stupid as to stand around after the first few shots come their way. All the does were still there, you just didn't see them. You need to adapt your methods, because the deer adapted theirs.

And, your biggest bitch seems to be with hunter numbers (a social issue) and not deer numbers (a wildlife issue). Game management is not designed to manage social issues, it's designed to manage wildlife properly.

WT deer need to have harvest across both sexes and through the age classes in order to produce more deer and healthier deer. Harvesting bucks only is not sound scientific management of WT deer.

doubled
08-17-2011, 09:22 PM
Does were everywhere all year long where I hunted and that was awfully close to big towns.

300WSMImpact - every been up Hatheume way recently??? If you have, you will know that the whiteys need to be culled around there as they are starting to push the muleys out. This summer I have seen more 3x more whiteys after Sunset Main than muleys and that is a fact.

Moosehunter64
08-17-2011, 10:40 PM
Anytime you see hundreds of deer in the fields its time to thin them out.If the hunters don`t do it the farmers will.

aliagha
08-17-2011, 11:53 PM
last year i was there on the opening day of antlerless season in 8-1, we hunted there for 2 days prior to the opening day and hunting was slow shot a few grouse, saw a couple of does and our hopes for scoring on the opening day were low till it was the morning, hunted till 2 pm in the afternoon and did not see anything, then went for another popular area (lots of hunters) as we were going in we passed about 8 to 9 trucks coming back and i believe 5 of them had a nice whitey doe. well we ended up walking some pretty thick stuff but got 2 beautiful topless whiteys from the same fsr. it was a great day, saw lots of happy hunters, filled the freeze and now cant wait for the upcoming season..!!!!!

Fisher-Dude
08-18-2011, 05:50 AM
From Dr Ian Hatter, WT deer harvest models:

%Male.......%Female....Buck/doe.....Fawn/doe....Stable Herd.....Sustained
harvest.......harvest.......ratio.............rati o.............size............harvest

0%...........0%...........50/100...........24/100.............10,000.............0
25%..........0%..........19/100...........24/100.............10,000..........333
50%..........0%...........9/100............24/100.............10,000..........322
25%.........13%.........43/100............56/100..............8,160........1,242
50%.........25%.........32/100............97/100..............5,875........1,674

GoatGuy
08-18-2011, 07:33 AM
Hunter harvested?

How many is so many?

Guess I'll ask again.

.300WSMImpact!
08-18-2011, 07:58 AM
I do like the doe season, it ups the buck percentage and makes the deer more callable, but my only issues is the mule deer fans kill whitetail does because they think they will bring back the mule deer population, maybe the rising elk numbers across the province is pushing out the mule deer as well we should kill off all the elk to protect the mule deer as well. Its not the whitetail pushing out the mule deer its the fact that mule deer are easy for the predators to hunt.

doubled
08-18-2011, 08:36 AM
I do like the doe season, it ups the buck percentage and makes the deer more callable, but my only issues is the mule deer fans kill whitetail does because they think they will bring back the mule deer population, maybe the rising elk numbers across the province is pushing out the mule deer as well we should kill off all the elk to protect the mule deer as well. Its not the whitetail pushing out the mule deer its the fact that mule deer are easy for the predators to hunt.

While you have some valid points here, this is not the case in some spots.

happyhunter
08-18-2011, 09:21 AM
To many to count.

People shooting deer in town limits and at night is illegal. So your saying a doe GOS increased poaching in your area? An increased opportunity to harvest a WT caused people to take up illegal methods at getting a deer, even though with the doe GOS it would have been easier then ever to get a deer? This doesn't make sense to me.

cumminsforever
08-18-2011, 10:35 AM
vermin no, good eating and fun tough hunting yes,

Agreed 100 percent.

cumminsforever
08-18-2011, 10:38 AM
From all reports, harvest of WT does was very low last year. Butchers and biologists were surprised that more weren't taken.

You're just not that good a hunter if you couldn't find them. :wink: They aren't so stupid as to stand around after the first few shots come their way. All the does were still there, you just didn't see them. You need to adapt your methods, because the deer adapted theirs.

And, your biggest bitch seems to be with hunter numbers (a social issue) and not deer numbers (a wildlife issue). Game management is not designed to manage social issues, it's designed to manage wildlife properly.

WT deer need to have harvest across both sexes and through the age classes in order to produce more deer and healthier deer. Harvesting bucks only is not sound scientific management of WT deer.

I was adopting my methods and am going to even more this year n maybe your right maybe there is to many white tail.

cumminsforever
08-18-2011, 10:42 AM
I'm just gonna shut up the matter.

Onesock
08-18-2011, 10:59 AM
FD it is pretty easy to see this is a young hunter you are ragging on. What is your theory recruit them and then shit on em? Give the kid a break. Why don't you take a couple of minutes and tell the young guy all you know about hunting whitetails!

cumminsforever
08-18-2011, 03:23 PM
I'm not new to hunting white tail but I don't mind new tips :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

wsm
08-18-2011, 03:42 PM
funny ... i get anoyed when i see a doe with yearlings and a hunter shoots the doe.

Fisher-Dude
08-18-2011, 05:57 PM
FD it is pretty easy to see this is a young hunter you are ragging on. What is your theory recruit them and then shit on em? Give the kid a break. Why don't you take a couple of minutes and tell the young guy all you know about hunting whitetails!

The young fella knows how to read a :wink: wink :wink: in a thread. I guess you don't.

Of course, if the BCWF hadn't worked hard to get the doe season, and the MoE had listened to you instead, we wouldn't even have a doe season to talk about.

I think the OP should get involved in his local club, and get in on the discussion about opportunity seasons. Lots of good info at the club level for a young hunter to learn the hows and whys of game management, and contribute his enthusiam and energy to positive programs. :D

cumminsforever
08-19-2011, 10:37 AM
The young fella knows how to read a :wink: wink :wink: in a thread. I guess you don't.

Of course, if the BCWF hadn't worked hard to get the doe season, and the MoE had listened to you instead, we wouldn't even have a doe season to talk about.

I think the OP should get involved in his local club, and get in on the discussion about opportunity seasons. Lots of good info at the club level for a young hunter to learn the hows and whys of game management, and contribute his enthusiam and energy to positive programs. :D

Actually sounds like a good idea to me.

aggiehunter
08-20-2011, 01:34 PM
Cummins, Find a trail....sit on a stump.....or behind one....you'll get your deer....patience my man. If you want to see lots of whities try and accompany someone (a biologist) on a spring count when they are all yarded up....I agree with you though...this GOS doe season has had an impact...just ask locals not some guy on here spouting off someone elses deer managment strategy.

cumminsforever
08-20-2011, 03:08 PM
True enough

Jelvis
08-20-2011, 04:23 PM
It's an antlerless draw not a doe draw lol, you got enuff trouble with recognizing a calf moose lol.
Jel .. Antlerless draw lol .. goofy doofy wholly cow lol.

Crimson Viking
08-20-2011, 07:03 PM
Ill throw my bit in .. The doe opening is not an issue as i see it .. I personally only take dry does my hunting buddy is on the same page and that is what I have taught my son as well. Many ppl will say the fawns will survive but id prefer to give em the best chance possible.

Jelvis
08-20-2011, 08:29 PM
button buck with no bone showing is an antlerless deer.
Jel .. Read it and weep .. your like sheep with no sheep herder. Ant Ler Less ...lol

M.Dean
08-20-2011, 08:37 PM
If you cook up a real good White Tail roast, even David Suzuki would lick his plate and ask for more! White Tail's are one of the finest eating game animals out there! I always though Elk or Moose ranked way up there, but now a days I make sure I've got a WT in the freezer before the Mule Deer rut! But, last fall my Grand Son and I seen lots of WT does with there fawns, we took lots of pic's and dam near petted a couple! Then, when the Does season opened up we didn't have the heart to shoot one because we knew they had little ones running around some where's! I agree with the open season for Does, go ask any Rancher up here trying to get a second crop of hay in before this weather turn's, like it did in July and the Ranchers baled a lot of wet hay!

Jelvis
08-20-2011, 08:42 PM
Dry doe meat makes the best meat loaf hands down, tender, tasty, mouth watering goodness.
Jel .. Right from the Chefs mouth .. bing bing bang!
This years fawn will be joined by another herd of doe's and fawns and will fit in, not like a moose calf that will certainly perish from the wolves and deep snows with out a mommy to help in the first winter of the lil mooses life, it's reality totality mortality.

cumminsforever
08-20-2011, 11:04 PM
Ill throw my bit in .. The doe opening is not an issue as i see it .. I personally only take dry does my hunting buddy is on the same page and that is what I have taught my son as well. Many ppl will say the fawns will survive but id prefer to give em the best chance possible.

Same here I like to watch the doe for a while before I will shoot her I wanna know how she acts n if she's alone n dry before pulling the trigger.

Fisher-Dude
08-21-2011, 08:08 AM
I agree with you though...this GOS doe season has had an impact...just ask locals not some guy on here spouting off someone elses deer managment strategy.

What evidence do you have to suggest that there has been an appreciable impact on the whitetails? Do you have a scientific 2011 comparative study of WT populations that indicates the impact year over year?

aggiehunter
08-21-2011, 01:34 PM
FD...nobody has those stats and you know it....I just talk to local ranchers in Region 8 and Region 4...some of whom were and still are opposed to the GOS for WT does...go figure hey! You must have the figures on the recruitment of new hunters with the GOS...I know for a fact that some old time hunters were re-recruited due to the WT GOS....they just wanted a quality piece of venison...and they got it.

Fisher-Dude
08-21-2011, 03:10 PM
So you talked to people opposed to the season, like yourself, and have all decided the season is bad and has had an "impact" on WT populations. Makes sense.

fireguy
08-21-2011, 03:20 PM
the thing about "antlerless" seasons is that the out of town hunters will have no issue with shooting an antlerless deer while the locals will probably not want to cut their tag on an antlerless deer and hope for a chance at a buck later on in the season. If away from your local hunting location, it makes sense to take a doe, it gives you some meat and justifies the trip to a point.

cumminsforever
08-22-2011, 12:37 AM
the thing about "antlerless" seasons is that the out of town hunters will have no issue with shooting an antlerless deer while the locals will probably not want to cut their tag on an antlerless deer and hope for a chance at a buck later on in the season. If away from your local hunting location, it makes sense to take a doe, it gives you some meat and justifies the trip to a point.

Hey if I saw a doe or buck lastyear whitey it was getting dropped in it's tracks they where so scares during the season I woulda took a mule n I normally like to get a whitey buck in rifle season then a doe in the bow season. I'm not a mule fan.

cumminsforever
08-22-2011, 12:39 AM
What evidence do you have to suggest that there has been an appreciable impact on the whitetails? Do you have a scientific 2011 comparative study of WT populations that indicates the impact year over year?

Okay show us proof you have a scientific 2011 comparative study of WT populations that indicates the impact year over year.

fireguy
08-22-2011, 12:46 AM
Each to their own, I passed on lots of does because I wasn't looking for a meat deer and took a nice 4 point whitey later on. I have no issues with people taking does at all and have taken them in the past, even put in for LEH for a reason to go to region 3 for late season mulies the thing is I don't like cutting my whitey tag on a doe localy when I can get a nice buck either in the regular GOS or in archery season. The hunt isn't about killing an animal so much to me as the hunt itself.

.300WSMImpact!
08-22-2011, 05:26 AM
Each to their own, I passed on lots of does because I wasn't looking for a meat deer and took a nice 4 point whitey later on. I have no issues with people taking does at all and have taken them in the past, even put in for LEH for a reason to go to region 3 for late season mulies the thing is I don't like cutting my whitey tag on a doe localy when I can get a nice buck either in the regular GOS or in archery season. The hunt isn't about killing an animal so much to me as the hunt itself.

maybe I am wrong but cant you shoot both whitetail doe and whitetail buck in one region?

doubled
08-22-2011, 05:44 AM
maybe I am wrong but cant you shoot both whitetail doe and whitetail buck in one region?

Yep - that is what I did last year. Dropped a doe with a newbie and gave it to him and then tried to get a biggie later that fall.

fireguy
08-22-2011, 09:29 AM

You are right, and if you are only going to be hunting whiteys, why not, I like hunting mulies so my personal preference is to only shoot a doe if I need the meat and only in the last few days of bow season. When taking somebody out that is new to hunting, I will encourage them to take a doe in the antlerless season.
As always each to their own.