PDA

View Full Version : Fishing the North Island....

Sitkaspruce
08-15-2011, 09:36 PM
Had a buddy out from Alberta fishing a week ago. He had 4 days to get the lines wet and head back home with some salmon.

First day we got out to Winter Harbour, great weather and even though the reports were spotty fishing, we had a great time. Dropped the lines at around 7 and finished chasing salmon around 10:30. Picked up 4 springs to 24 lbs, 3 med coho and a good size humpy at 7 lbs, then we switched over to bottom bouncing for white fish...one nice snapper and two good eating ling finished of the day.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Sitkaspruce/Fishing/P8040035.jpg

Next day, we headed north to the top of the island. We ran into lumpy weather, but still managed to put a couple springs to 22 lbs and a couple coho in the box before mother nature chased PUTT PUTT II off the water.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Sitkaspruce/Fishing/IMG_31801.jpg

We headed back out to Winter Harbour the next day, but could not get outside as it was just too lumpy for PUTT PUTT, so we fished around Cliffe and put a coho in the box....slow day, but it was also a day to catch up on our future hunting and fishing plans.

last day we decided to sleep in and fish right out in front of our home. Hit the water and put in a couple pinks and a 20 lbs spring before we headed out to chase white fish. Bounced bottom for a while and picked up a beauty snapper.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Sitkaspruce/Fishing/IMG_3189.jpg

He went home with a few boxes of fish and we both shared some great memories and plans for hunting out there and fishing next year.

Now it was my turn to sneak out for a quick morning bite before work, so on Tuesday, I hit the water around 6:30 and soon was into double headers of both socks and pinks...damn that socks were closed (Open the next morning....). By 9 I was back at the dock with a 23 lbs spring and 3 nice humpies.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Sitkaspruce/Fishing/P8090037.jpg

Went out the next day and put a few socks and humpies in the freezer.

This past weekend, spent the morning fishing with the wife and loading up on socks and humpies....we already have enough springs, so I left the spring gear in the box. Man are some of the humpies nice this year, 7-8 lbs...which make for nice eaters on the BBQ. Most of the humpies went into cans while the rest will go in the smoker.....go to love the humpies when there is lots around!!!

Will be out this weekend if I do not have to leave for the Charlottes until Monday.

Cheers

SS

Marc
08-15-2011, 09:58 PM
Looks like you had a great weekend as well! That is one huge snapper.

Johnnybear
08-15-2011, 11:50 PM
Wow you sure gave your buddy the full meal deal with all that fishing Ken. Way to go. Nice mixed bag there for sure. That snapper is HUGE!

Keep up the reports. I love seeing and reading what is happening up North Island way. Still have to drag the boat up there sometime and give it a whirl. I've been talking about it for a while now just have to do it. Maybe next year.

Cheers,
John

5 spike
08-16-2011, 06:29 AM
always nice to see your pics. good times good laughs and good friends, oh ya and making hunting plans dont get much better than that.

pescado
08-16-2011, 01:41 PM
Just got back from Winter Harbour myself. Thought the fishing was good. Only fish that hasn't shown yet is the bigger Northern Coho's; seems a bit late. I hope they show soon or..... The Northern end of the Island is definitely a fishy spot. Looks like you had a good trip.

Tight Lines.

bigshooter
08-17-2011, 06:44 AM
Great fish, my family had a great time 3 weeks ago in McNeill, thanks for the help. I have some pictures but need to get them posted. I think that we might make it back up for the long weekend.

bigshooter
08-26-2011, 01:20 PM
What fish will be left around McNeill this late in the season? I think that bottom fish will be a major target, but will any large runs of salmon be available? Hunting season is on hold for the long weekend, more fish needed.

Sitkaspruce
08-26-2011, 02:06 PM
Bigshooter

Lots of pinks still around, although it is thinning out, some springs still around and the bottom fish are still here, although you only have until Sept 05 for hali.

Might get out this weekend for one more kick at the cat!!

Cheers

SS

Barracuda
08-26-2011, 02:09 PM
Looks like you had a great weekend as well! That is one huge snapper.

way to easy

:lol::lol::lol:

bigshooter
08-26-2011, 04:02 PM
Bigshooter

Lots of pinks still around, although it is thinning out, some springs still around and the bottom fish are still here, although you only have until Sept 05 for hali.

Might get out this weekend for one more kick at the cat!!

Cheers

SS

Thank you once again. I only hope that we can have as much fun and as good of weather that we had the first time this year. After this next trip I will post some piuctures.