PDA

View Full Version : freshness of bedding areas

elkeater
08-13-2011, 06:14 PM
i found what i believe to be a bedding area for elk. i was wondering if there are signs to tell how old they are. like how long would it take for the grass to stand back up.

TheProvider
08-13-2011, 06:30 PM
Depends on the weather and or type of vegetation. Think of it as how fast your lawn grows. If theres moisture and its hot and sunny the grass can stand up pretty quick but no moisture cold and cloudy it'll take a few days to stand up. Most beds should have crap near it and that can help judge.

Some beds may look like thier a week old when there only a day old and vice versa. To help judge beds just think of how you judge tracks and scat. When you see a fresh bed you'll definately know

Shooter
08-13-2011, 06:50 PM
How much did it stink?

elkeater
08-13-2011, 07:09 PM
first its been hot and dry, and i dont know if it stunk much, i didnt want to go walking all through it and get my stink in there. i try to leave my hot spot alone till opening day, oh i cant wait!!!!!

coquitlam
08-14-2011, 11:23 AM
I usually try to see if any hair is left in the bed as the mice will take it pretty quick

Fisher-Dude
08-14-2011, 12:01 PM
Use your nose. The place will smell like a barnyard if it's fresh.

They will probably move to a different spot by the season opener. They don't like to stink out an area and have predators find them. They may only go a few hundred yards though.

Vader
08-14-2011, 01:03 PM
There's elk laying in the freshest ones! Scat is a better indicator.. same as smell.
I prefer to look at beds as the elk were here. I then move to the other indicators after that.
They will pretty much remain in one or several areas on a circuit provided the essentials of food and water are there and they aren't pushed hard.
Elk you see on a slide in august most likely will be on the same slide or one close to it. The lowland elk that frequent meadows and farmers fields may hit the same field or several fields over a course of 3 or four days. They will often use the same trails and bed in relatively the same areas. Some of the bedding areas may only be a couple of hundred yards apart but may be many miles from the feeding area. Some beds may be within a couple of hundred yards of the feeding area.

elkeater
08-14-2011, 02:55 PM
i did look for dropings but ive heard the the cows dont poop where they sleep

Fisher-Dude
08-14-2011, 03:00 PM
i did look for dropings but ive heard the the cows dont poop where they sleep

Elk stink. They don't have to shit for you to smell them if they're in the area.