PDA

View Full Version : tunkwa lake

308 win
08-13-2011, 02:51 PM
hey guys me and some work buddys are headin to tunkwa lake hunting resort in late nov for a 4 day hunt, anybody no that area around kamloops ? . 4 point or better at that time . not sure of the success rate around there , any help would be great.! thanks.

lovemywinchester
08-13-2011, 04:39 PM
Lots of hunting pressure there. You should go in Oct as WT doe are open and any buck as well.

Darksith
08-13-2011, 04:43 PM
Ive never seen a WT up tunkwa, but I guess that don't mean they aren't there. Lots of deer in there, same as always, get outta the truck and off the roads. It gets real thick up top, you'll know what Im talking about when you see the forest, but there is lots of good hunting. You guys will enjoy yourselves. Personally I would rather hunt the treeline that runs the edge of the sage/grasslands, but the resort is a good place to lay down at night.

lovemywinchester
08-13-2011, 04:51 PM
Tunkwa WT!
http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/whiteydoe2.jpg

LYKTOHUNT
08-13-2011, 05:07 PM
The whitetail are there, I saw three close to the lake near the power lines, we hunted there just when the 4 point season started, more people than what i am used to but there are deer there and I think you just need to get off the roads.

coquitlam
08-13-2011, 06:41 PM
if you check there web site under hunting , it will give you all you want with pictures.

johnk
08-13-2011, 07:43 PM
I lived at the resort for nine years and I could attest to the presence of whitetails. My dog used to sniff up sheds every spring in the thick bush just outside the gate. As for hunting pressure in November it is very minimal for the most part. I've advised several members of HBC where to find rutting bucks and have heard back on their success. If there is early snow then you'll have to drop down 1500' to the ranches near Savona. Feel free to PM me for as much info as you can ingest.

cameron0518
08-13-2011, 08:14 PM
Don't let anyone fool you. Tunkwa is amazing and full of deer. Never found very much pressure there ever no matter what time of year. Have always came back with meat for the freezer.

Cyrus
08-13-2011, 08:27 PM
my experience is that you will see a lot more with four wheels as opposed to 4 points...get off the main drags way from the endless quads and truck hunters for a start....area is hunted very hard..

250 sav
08-13-2011, 10:33 PM
Really hit and miss. I have a friend with a cabin at Tunkwa and my son And I stay there and hunt but have much more sucess in other areas. If no snow, lots of dirt bikes roaring around. I had good sucess in the area till about five years ago, then it got to the point I saw more people than game. That said if your timing is right you could have a great hunt in the area. Also some of that area seems to have the genetics for huge bucks that ARE NOT 4 POINTS. I've got a 26'' spread 3x3 one holloween and have 2 buddies that have got 2 points 28" + spread, so be sure before you shot!

yukon john
08-14-2011, 08:37 AM
hunted the for the last 5 years or so, used to be not to much pressure but more every year, last year was the last year I will hunt it because there was just to many guys, some big bucks have come out of there and the hunting was great but I dont like seeing 10 trucks in a morning

308 win
08-14-2011, 08:54 AM
thanks for the help everyone , i no what you mean when you say to many trucks and quads , i am in region 1-5 , you will see 10 trucks any where you go around here, so i am used to hunting area with lots of pressure. should be a fun trip. maybe get some wt meat at least , thanks

Twig-Chaser
08-14-2011, 11:38 AM
We head up there every year for Thanksgiving . Great resort for the family and decent hunting for Mule (Big ones, like everywhere are tough to find). There is allot of traffic in some areas but if you hike a bit you will find them, most hunters in that area I find are road warriors. Towards Logan Lake Mine I find is the best for least amount of people and there has been some Spruce logging on that side over the last couple of years to open it up on that side...