PDA

View Full Version : Tramontina machetes

Black Lab
08-12-2011, 10:52 PM
I have heard Tramontina machetes are a pretty good tool. Where in Canada, or better yet the Fraser Valley BC. can I buy one ???

martyonthewater
08-13-2011, 07:34 AM
I got mine at home hardware but that was some time ago. Definately a sturdy tool and it keeps an edge ok too

new hunter
08-13-2011, 08:50 AM
tramontinas great for the $20 dollar range {got a 20 inch latin in my truck } , but if you can't find one try cabellas , I believe the carry cold steel for only a few bucks more . I know cold steel sells there machetes in the 30 to 50 dollar range , and they carry a lot more variations . Also I am not a big fan of the cheap tramontina handles {I will be replacing mine } , I find it gets real uncofortable after a couple cuts {loose fit }, though the blade steel is quite good {holds edge well , easy to sharpen }. I keep my machete knife sharp not axe sharp , so the blades are real good .
Ive seen several in chainsaw shops here in the sea to sky , perhaps look at stores that deal with landscaping tools { but on the manly end like chainsaws , not shovels and manure }.

Black Lab
08-13-2011, 04:04 PM
I believe "Cold Steel" had a good reputation at one time, but I think they are made in China now. Quite high priced but lower in quality I suspect. Seems a trend with industry now. :icon_frow

new hunter
08-14-2011, 09:08 AM
Cold steels not bad , they don't compare to bench made or kabar by any means though . I bought a cold steel tilite two years ago and its held up pretty well . The only problem Ive found was that I thought stabbing through 1/2inch drywall was a good idea and now the blade has a very slight wiggle {about a c hair movement } , the knife is a tactical folder. Check out the tilite online if you don't know what I mean , it is a ridiculously fast folder that ressembles a butterfly knife . Its the sort of knife you sit there and and flick when youre bored , just to hear the mechanical click noise . In other words it has been opened several thousand times without wearing out , other than damage caused by my own ignorange .
I would not hesitate to buy a cold steel machete for the fifty bucks they cost over twenty dollar tramontina any day , especially for the choice in blades . I would love to buy one of there bowie machetes just for raising eyebrows , and I really want a parang for heavy bush cutting { a parang is heavier at the end , resembles wedge and is like a hatchet machete hybrid , very versatile and more appropriate for the heavy cutting one encounters inB.C. }. And they sell tomohawks for about thirty bucks through cabelas , which is one more blade I'd like to buy .
Cold steel is basde out of south africa by the way , and even if they do manufacture in china , benchmade is made in tiawan and they are some of the best blades on the market {far better than buck }

Black Lab
08-17-2011, 03:16 PM
I picked up a Tramontina on Ebay for a bit over $27 delivered. The Machete is Brand New with a top quality black belt sheath, 27 1/2" Overall, 22" High Carbon Steel blade, 2 3/8" wide blade at widest part, 1/16" thick at spine of blade, Full tang, Black composite handle with Lanyard Hole, Top quality black curdura belt sheath. I'm Happy !!! http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

bighornbob
08-17-2011, 03:49 PM
My brother in-law bought me one of these for X-mas. I have only used it for little bit and it seemed to get the job done quite well. You can definately feel the quality when you hold it compared to a $20 machete I had as a kid. Pricey though.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=65248&cat=2,45794

BHB