PDA

View Full Version : Paraffin wax to keep rod together/loose?

Shooter Jr.
08-12-2011, 10:03 PM
So once or twice the other half of my fly rod has launched off in mid-cast and scared the crap out of me, and once or twice, my rod has been almost impossible to separate to fit into the vehicle, i read online somewhere that paraffin wax is good to stop this problem, just rub a candle on the end on the first half, it keeps it firm and allows for easy separation and the excess just scrapes off when you put the rod together, anyone ever heard of or tried this?

wrenchhead
08-12-2011, 10:36 PM
What always worked for me is to rub the end that goes inside in the greasy crease on the side of my nose.

Salty
08-12-2011, 10:54 PM
So once or twice the other half of my fly rod has launched off in mid-cast and scared the crap out of me, and once or twice, my rod has been almost impossible to separate to fit into the vehicle, i read online somewhere that paraffin wax is good to stop this problem, just rub a candle on the end on the first half, it keeps it firm and allows for easy separation and the excess just scrapes off when you put the rod together, anyone ever heard of or tried this?

You're on it bud. Kind of weird to think how wax would hold your rod together better but it does. Maybe because you can compress the sections good and deep and still be able to get them out. I keep part of an old candle in my reel bag i'm sure there's better ways to go.

Glenny
08-12-2011, 10:55 PM
What always worked for me is to rub the end that goes inside in the greasy crease on the side of my nose.

x2 My dad showed me this trick when I was a littlen.

Fisher-Dude
08-12-2011, 11:46 PM
x2 My dad showed me this trick when I was a littlen.

Me too! The ol' timers knew lots of tricks, like when my dad used pitch as ferrule cement to repair a loose ferrule.

Paraffin works great too - I've used it on my Fenwicks (I'm a classic fibreglass purist) with good success.

Shooter Jr.
08-13-2011, 12:05 AM
I have a fenwick eagle gt5 (i believe), its a graphite rod.

gmcgilli66
08-20-2011, 09:52 PM
Remember to put sections together with a half twist and take them apart with a twist in the opposite direction. Paraffin works well ... as does a rub on your scalp or alongside your nose.
If your sections are really tight, use the 'old" behind the knees" trick where you put the stuck sections behind your knees and grasp each one on the outside of your knees and apply the pressure pushing outward with your legs. Very effective and much more controlled than pulling with your arms.
Last unasked for tip is from my dad: "always assemble your rods last thing before getting in the boat and put them away first when returning to shore. It really does save a lot of "Bill Dance" moments!!
cheers,
George

lovemywinchester
08-20-2011, 10:29 PM
They make a rod wax specifically for this problem. The name escapes me but its not hard to find. The other option is to retire that rod to full sink troll rod only. I have an old Shakespeare 6 wt that does just that. Had it out today trolling a leech from my pontoon. Just strip the line out an no casting, otherwise it flies apart. Its 98% graphite!!! Says right on the rod. That gives you an idea of how old this rod is.