PDA

View Full Version : Arrow Weight

Skull Hunter
08-11-2011, 12:26 PM
So I just bought my first bow, I gota 70lb Hoyt Turbo Hawk, right now it's set at 60lbs. I was reading in the owners manual that Hoyt will not warranty the bow if you shoot arrows with less than 5 grains per peak bow draw weight. When I bought the bow I also picked up a few cheap arrows to practice with, I relied on the fella at the store to set it all up and didn't think anything of it until I got home.

The arrows themselves Easton Power flights 340's and 9.3 gpi they are cut to 27 13/16ths or so (28 1/4 to the groove in the nock). I'm not sure the weights of the field tips inserts, vanes or nocks, but they're just run of the mill stuff.

Do you experts think these arrows would be fine to shoot without running the risk of voiding my warranty? I know it's hard to say without knowing everything, but I don't want to take any chances.

Thanks!

Bowzone_Mikey
08-11-2011, 01:09 PM
at 9.3 gpi your shafts are about 260 grains ... I suspect you are running 100 grain points .... inserts are at least 10 grains ... nocks are at least 6 grains .... vanes are probally 10 grain each ..... I suspect your total arrow weight is somewhere in the range of 400 grains ..... with your bow maxed out at probally 72 pounds peak draw .... the lightest arrow you would be able to shoot safely is 360 grains total weight ....

right now at 60 pounds you can safely shoot a 300 grain arrow ....(60 pounds draw..x 5 grains = 300 grains lightest permissible arrow)

I suspect at 60 pounds your arrows wont fly as great as they could be ... simply because they would be too stiff ... but at 70 pounds they should come off you bow and fly beautifully ...

Bow Walker
08-12-2011, 09:49 AM
'nuff said........

Skull Hunter
08-15-2011, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the info guys... I went out shooting this morning and it went fairly well. I think I need to adjust my peep sight as I think it's a little too low and because I have to compensate for that I'm pulling my shots to the left. (not that I would be shooting all that great anyways, but I could get set up a lot more comfortably I think).

Bow Walker
08-16-2011, 10:38 AM
Test your peep location by coming to full draw with your eyes closed (and an arrow on the bow) pointed in a safe direction of course.

Settle into your comfortable shooting stance - body straight, head up (not tilted into the string) and then open your aiming eye.

Are you looking right through your peep, and can you clearly see your sight housing glo-ring?

If not - adjust the peep upward or downward until you can see your sight housing within the peep aperture.

Now you're good to go. You can begin to tune your bow.

NovemberBravo
12-10-2012, 09:37 PM
i shoot a PSE stinger 3g at around 50 pound of draw weight (probably max at 52). So if I do the math that means the lighest arrow i can shoot is 260 grains. My arrows are 269 grains with everything on them except for a broad head which is 100grain. Would this mean that my arrows are too stiff as totaled up with the broad head they are 110 grains more than they should be? I would assume so except any lighter of an arrow would be pretty flimsy
Thanks
NB