PDA

View Full Version : Pack Choice...

Skull Hunter
08-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Well, I'm looking into buying myself a new pack and I just can't decide what to go with. Right now I'm debating between the badlands OX and the Eberlestock V69 or V90... I have found lots of info about the badlands but not much about these particular models of Eberlestock. If anyone has anything that can help me make my decision that'd be great.

I'm looking to use the pack for backpack/mountain hunting and hauling meat, at most my trips would be probably 7 days or so.

springpin
08-11-2011, 12:52 PM
I bought a Redhead Spike camp bag. 116liters, loaded it up with about 70ish lbs and was very comfortable. And at a good price, seems to be of good quality. quite happy with it so far. Should take a look at it..

RoverHound
08-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Badlands OX is way overpriced for what you're getting. Cabela's external frames aren't bad and a Tatonka is solid for a little more cost. Internal frame, sky's the limit.

sheepaholic
08-11-2011, 01:43 PM
have a look at mystery ranch also i luv mine

dave_83golf
08-11-2011, 03:05 PM
Friend of mine has the eberlestock and he absolutely loves it. I just bought the new Sitka pack, and I can't wait to use it in the field! This years pack by sitka blows last years model out of the water!!! Check them out

stoneguide
08-11-2011, 05:39 PM
I just picked up an Ebelestock J107. I love the size versatility. Its a great day pack size whne closed up and then opened up its a nice size for hauling meat or extra gear. I also picked up their spike duffle which zips on and expands the pack even more. Been trying it a bit and its working well for me.
SG

LeverActionJunkie
08-11-2011, 06:08 PM
I just picked up an Ebelestock J107. I love the size versatility. Its a great day pack size whne closed up and then opened up its a nice size for hauling meat or extra gear. I also picked up their spike duffle which zips on and expands the pack even more. Been trying it a bit and its working well for me.
SG

This is what draws me to the j107 as well. Stoneguide, do you mind me asking where you picked yours up at? I can't find any around where I live.

stoneguide
08-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Got mine in the Sportsmans Den in Red Deer.

longstonec
08-11-2011, 07:41 PM
I have my fingers crossed for a Eberlestock J107 for myself. Its my Christmas present to me! ( in October )

longstonec
08-11-2011, 07:42 PM
You can get the Eberlestock stuff off ebay and from Wholesale Sports.

Iron Sighted
08-11-2011, 08:13 PM
I managed to find an Eberlestock J107 that was used once for two days, in mint condition on E-Bay. Paid I think $330 shipped.

stoneguide
08-11-2011, 08:16 PM
Mine was $392.70 including GST.

stoneguide
08-11-2011, 08:20 PM
The J107 is a very populoar pack. Most stores were out of stock when I was looking and all were waiting on shipments. Only found 2 stores in Alberta that had them at the time I was looking. Found a couple in FSJ and was gunna get one shipped until I found the one I bought closer to home.
SG

Jagermeister
08-11-2011, 09:33 PM
You can get the Eberlestock stuff off ebay and from Wholesale Sports.Or directly from Eberlestock. I would opt for the J107, currently use a Halftrack.

"have a look at mystery ranch also i luv mine"
Although "nice", I think MRs are overpriced.

beni
08-11-2011, 09:42 PM
I bought a j107 last summer, I like everything about it!! Have zero complaints

fireguy
08-11-2011, 10:12 PM
Picked up a V-90 love it so far, will give it a workout this fall

Coming_out_heavy.
08-12-2011, 01:39 PM
have a look at mystery ranch also i luv mine

^This. 6500 with the load sling, you will not regret it.

ElectricDyck
08-12-2011, 02:04 PM
I've never tried a Mystery Ranch although everybody seems to love it. I'd like to try one out one day. I've had a j107 for 3 years and been very happy with it, nothings ever failed, I've carried 60 lbs in it comfortably, fit a weeks worth of food and gear into it easily. I haven't packed large loads long distances, but I've carried 120lbs in it around the neighborhood, it wasn't terribly comfortable, but I'm not sure what comfortable is with 120lbs on your back? I have complete faith it won't break. I love the scabbard, I've shot a couple deer that broke cover in front of us after reaching back and drawing my rifle. I ordered mine from Cabelas.com back when it was $299.

stoneguide
08-12-2011, 10:02 PM
Just finished packing my J107 for my 11- 12day goat hunt. Comes in at 75lbs with the gun and have plenty of room for some more gear if I needed. It fits and balances well and will be a dream to carry by the testing ive done. I drew the rifle with pack on and fully loaded and its fast and easy so deffinatly cant complain there, quickest system ive seen that has that much protection for your gun.
SG

Skull Hunter
08-13-2011, 08:22 AM
Thanks for all of the info guys... I've been searching the internet trying to get a good idea of what I want for a while now... I think I am leaning towards the Eberlestock just not sure which model yet. I was a bit concerned about the construction of the J107's. Having never seen them before I wonder how durable the mesh is when fully loaded, and also how much weight the stitching along the zippers can hold if you have the duffle pack attached with a heavy load in it. Sounds like a few of you guys have done this and really put the packs to the limits so maybe I shouldn't be concerned, but any comments on this aspect would also be appreciated.

ElectricDyck
08-13-2011, 08:44 AM
I don't use the spike duffel, so can't speak for that. With the 2 horizontal straps and 1 vertical you can strap just about anything onto it pretty easily without the additional weight of the duffel bag. It comes with a fanny pack that clips on top which I don't use as it weighs an extra pound and tends to flap around and doesn't have a way to compress it without using additional straps. The zippers, straps and mesh are heavy duty. My friend has broken his hip buckle on his and I now carry a spare, but am still using the original.

swampthing
08-14-2011, 08:40 AM
Dont worry about the quality. They are tough. There is a zip in panel to cover the mesh if you are worried about it. I bought this panel but never used it yet.

fuzzy
08-14-2011, 09:38 AM
I will gladly tell you that i am certainly not the most experienced guy on this board by anymeans whatsoever. From the research that i did including going into many stores and trying on differnent packs of different makes i came down to the Tatonka external frame or a Mystery Ranch NICE system with the Crewcab. I chose the Mystery Ranch. I have hurt my back and hips a few times and found that the NICE system has allowed my to carry 65lbs walking around the neighborhood and short 3 hr hikes in relative comfort where many packs were hurtin with minimal weight in the store.I also like the versatility of this pack and feel that it will be able to carry more that i can. I cant wait to use this pack more extensively come the fall but this is my experience so far.

fuzzy

troutseeker
08-14-2011, 11:22 AM
I used an Eberlestock a few seasons ago, I packed a deer and a goat in it. It did the job, but let me tell you that once I had a load nearing 100lbs in the pack it sat on my back like a sack of potatoes. The pack would twist itself, the load would shift and get lumpy and just slide to the sides and bottom. I was a thoroughly uncomfortable experience and by the end of the season I was using my old Camp Trails Moose pack, lol.

I now own a Mystery Ranch Nice 6500 and it fits and holds a load way better. It is a more expensive pack for sure, but I believe you get what you pay for. If I was buyig a pack today, I'd make sure I try several different ones to see which suits my frame best and put a load in them to see how well they carry weight.

Good luck in you search.

Skull Hunter
08-15-2011, 03:40 PM
Thanks again for the info... I went ahead and ordered the J107 with the super spike duffel from Grouse River. Hopefully it gets here soon so I can get some good use out of it before the end of the season.

ianwuzhere
08-15-2011, 06:10 PM
the badland products have a great warranty-abuse it, or it breaks in any way and they fix or replace no questions... i have an ox and its prolly good for up to 7 days from what i think anyhow.. very strong, and am very happy with it.

ElectricDyck
08-15-2011, 07:30 PM
My bro in law has a badlands 2200 which he loads up like a bigger pack. It's been back for repairs twice in 4 years. The sewing where the zipper attaches to the pack material comes apart. He sends it in and they sew it back up but he has to flip the bill for shipping.