PDA

View Full Version : fly in how much?

cavebear
08-11-2011, 10:10 AM
I really want a sheep, and am curious about the cost of fly in s, I grew up on the island and am still on on it so my knowledge of the mainland is very limited, any help or advice would be great thanks :)

longstonec
08-11-2011, 10:42 AM
Where do you want to fly into? and where from. On floats im guessing. there are many small charter company's through the province and it would be best to talk to one of them and get them to give you a quote. if its only acouple people and under hours flight return it will prolly be under 800$ cost will depend on number of people and amount of gear. light weight = smaller cheaper plane. more weight = bigger more expensive. good luck.

Jagermeister
08-11-2011, 10:46 AM
Start saving now. When you have the money, book your flight a year in advance. If you have the loot now, book now for next year.

Weatherby Fan
08-11-2011, 10:47 AM
I checked yesterday with BC Yukon Air and he told me $3000.00 out of Dease lake to Moodie Lakes and return,1200lb weight max in and out.

ryanb
08-11-2011, 10:47 AM
Figure on anywhere from roughly $0.60 to $0.80 a mile flown for a Cessna or Beaver depending on operator/location. Remember you pay for the whole flight time, the flight to the lake and back to the base. Then again the flight to the lake and back to the base when they pick you up. This should give you a good ballpark for the price. Best way to find out for sure, figure out where you want to fly and call and get a quote from an operator in the area.'

bighornbob
08-11-2011, 11:52 AM
Figure on anywhere from roughly $0.60 to $0.80 a mile flown for a Cessna or Beaver depending on operator/location. Remember you pay for the whole flight time, the flight to the lake and back to the base. Then again the flight to the lake and back to the base when they pick you up. This should give you a good ballpark for the price. Best way to find out for sure, figure out where you want to fly and call and get a quote from an operator in the area.'

I beleive your cost are way out to lunch. For a Beaver I hear its about $7.50 a mile.

BHB

bcyukonair
08-11-2011, 01:08 PM

sounds like you have been sleeping since the '60's

tetachuck
08-11-2011, 01:19 PM
About $450.00 an hour for a Cessna 185 and $600.00 for a Beaver

cavebear
08-11-2011, 02:02 PM
thanks for the info now just need to figure out where to go so that i find sheep but do not step on any toes :) will start with topos of bc.

jml11
08-11-2011, 03:26 PM
Best to contact some of the charter companies, they can usualy provide you with a price list of air strips and lakes.

Depending on where you fly you could pay anywhere from 1500 to 3000 per group of two round trip...flying from their bases is always cheaper as you don't have to pay repositioning fees.

as an example from northern Rockies lodge (fishing trips, hunts may be more $ due to demand):

Return floatplane flight from Muncho Lake to S. Gataga lakes outpost cabin:

Party of 2 pers. $1160/pers.
Party of 3 pers. $1380/pers.
Party of 4 pers. $1040/pers.
Party of 5 pers. $1280/pers.
Party of 6 pers. $1060/pers.

Return floatplane flight from Muncho Lake to Netson Lake outpost cabin:

Party of 2 pers. $820/pers.
Party of 3 pers. $850/pers.
Party of 4 pers. $640/pers.
Party of 5 pers. $820/pers.
Party of 6 pers. $680/pers.

ryanb
08-11-2011, 04:14 PM
LOL, too early this morning, carried the decimal wrong there. 6 to 8 bucks a mile.

GoatGuy
08-11-2011, 04:17 PM
sounds like you have been sleeping since the '60's

No, just that he works pretty close to transport!;-)

Different part of reality. :twisted:

GoatGuy
08-11-2011, 04:21 PM
About $450.00 an hour for a Cessna 185 and $600.00 for a Beaver

That's a heck of a deal! Charing out @ $550/hr 10 years ago for a 185.

bcyukonair
08-12-2011, 08:52 AM
Best to contact some of the charter companies, they can usualy provide you with a price list of air strips and lakes.

Depending on where you fly you could pay anywhere from 1500 to 3000 per group of two round trip...flying from their bases is always cheaper as you don't have to pay repositioning fees.

as an example from northern Rockies lodge (fishing trips, hunts may be more $ due to demand):
Return floatplane flight from Muncho Lake to S. Gataga lakes outpost cabin:

Party of 2 pers. $1160/pers.
Party of 3 pers. $1380/pers.
Party of 4 pers. $1040/pers.
Party of 5 pers. $1280/pers.
Party of 6 pers. $1060/pers.

Return floatplane flight from Muncho Lake to Netson Lake outpost cabin:

Party of 2 pers. $820/pers.
Party of 3 pers. $850/pers.
Party of 4 pers. $640/pers.
Party of 5 pers. $820/pers.
Party of 6 pers. $680/pers.

sounds like a bit of a rip off.

kennyj
08-12-2011, 01:11 PM
Don't forget that you don't have to fly in to hunt sheep.
kenny

dutchie
08-12-2011, 01:53 PM

I think that this guy has some knowledge of the industry!!!

Dutchie

wsquared
08-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Urst (owner/pilot of NRLodge) excels at charging too much for almost everything related to his lodge.
I'd avoid him and look into a Yukon or Fort Nelson based charter company, depending on where you want to go.

GoatGuy
08-12-2011, 03:01 PM

should see how much the folks from across the atlantic pay!

gungirl
08-12-2011, 03:15 PM
I wana come this time!

ryanb
08-12-2011, 08:26 PM
Wow, seems like the prices from Northern Rockies are a bit out of line, but he's free to charge what he wants if people will pay it.

blackbart
08-12-2011, 11:07 PM
Might just be me and my way of thinking, but it seems odd that if the prices are so high with one outfit that another has not set up shop in the same area and provided an alternative??? Seems even odder that a charter outfit operating in northern B.C. feels free to rip into the pricing offered by another outfit. If the pricing is really that out of line why not expand the bus. and give us an alternative. What gives?

In my world the question of pricing is rather simple. Supply and demand!

I would like to hear what "bcyukonair" has to say about this. Perhaps there is some regulatory rule in effect that I do not know of that prevents them from setting up a base at Muncho??

All of us resident hunters (the demand part of the equation) would surely benefit if there were more choices.

btw - I highly encourage a fly in hunt for those that are thinking about it. You won't regret it.

moose2
08-24-2011, 11:54 PM
I have heard there is a fee to bring out trophy antlers on the outside of the plane. Other wise they have to be split to fit inside and then can't be scored for the record books. Does anyone know if this is true and if so what is the extra charge on average.
Thanks Mike

Stone Sheep Steve
08-25-2011, 06:34 AM
Might just be me and my way of thinking, but it seems odd that if the prices are so high with one outfit that another has not set up shop in the same area and provided an alternative??? Seems even odder that a charter outfit operating in northern B.C. feels free to rip into the pricing offered by another outfit. If the pricing is really that out of line why not expand the bus. and give us an alternative. What gives?

I would like to hear what "bcyukonair" has to say about this. Perhaps there is some regulatory rule in effect that I do not know of that prevents them from setting up a base at Muncho??

All of us resident hunters (the demand part of the equation) would surely benefit if there were more choices.

btw - I highly encourage a fly in hunt for those that are thinking about it. You won't regret it.

It's all about having a base to operate out of....and Urs isn't about to let competition use his facilities:neutral:. Northern Rockies Air Charters (Scoop Lake) used to fly out of the base/campground just up the hwy from Urs but it closed down a few yrs back(I think it's still for sale). Scoop now only flies out of Watson where the costs can be much higher due to increased distances.Now with no competition at Muncho rates have gone up....considerably.:icon_frow

SSS

Steve Works
01-07-2014, 03:41 AM

I agree. It's not really all that much about objective price but about symbols and context. As far as alternatives go, however, I think there's still quite a lot to be resolved till we have REAL alternatives.

Cordillera
01-07-2014, 04:06 PM
Any external load such as a canoe is an extra 50 or 100. I would love to see the rack that can't fit in a beaver!

Caribou_lou
01-07-2014, 07:18 PM
Has there been much change in costs since this thread started?

eric
01-07-2014, 08:13 PM
^^^^^ not much,I checked on prices after this yrs hunting season, was qouted 8.00/per mile from Northern Rockies Air

snareman1234
01-07-2014, 08:32 PM
So, who are the other companies that can fly BC residents into the Northern Rockies?

RMAC
01-07-2014, 11:41 PM
I've flown in twice over the last 2 years with Urs at Northern Rockies Lodge and have nothing but good experiences both of those times. Might be a bit expensive but I don't think its that big of a factor when I am already spending a lot of money just to get up there. It's nice talking to all of the other hunters at the lodge and hearing about where they went and other places they have gone before.

WKCotts
01-09-2014, 08:47 PM
2 of us flew in 2012 just over $2000 return