PDA

View Full Version : Black bears around PG?

emerson
08-11-2011, 09:13 AM
My BILs are brand new hunters up to visit next week. I would like to find a bear or two for them, and to feed the dog her favorite meals. I've been gone at work, is anyone seeing any bears around? Thanks.

08-11-2011, 10:10 AM
Wholly crap! I just looked in the regs to wonder why it seemed like you were going to kill one,,,,,,, Yer season is AUGUST 15 !!!!
Lucky Bugger!!! Your 4 days away

sorry i know jack about them up there though!

mjmbc
08-11-2011, 11:14 AM
the ones ive been seeing are still fairly low down asthe berries havent matured yet but theres still lots around

emerson
08-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Wholly crap! I just looked in the regs to wonder why it seemed like you were going to kill one,,,,,,, Yer season is AUGUST 15 !!!!
Lucky Bugger!!! Your 4 days away

I know, it's great.

emerson
08-13-2011, 10:39 PM
He's here now with a 303 to fill the freezer. We will start Monday, probably out the Salmon in the mornings and few evenings when the girls are in a good mood.

Tenacious Billy
08-14-2011, 01:21 AM
Drive down a logging road during first light or last light, you'll see bears - lots of them.

Amphibious
08-14-2011, 01:17 PM
head east, and take the first left after the Bowron Bridge (or the right at that intersection. used to be lots of dink blacks in there. good place to take a new hunter.

buzz720
08-14-2011, 05:52 PM
Go down the blackwater and try mt mckenzie

walks with deer
08-15-2011, 09:56 AM
anywhere there there like rats there are so many

emerson
08-16-2011, 12:36 PM
My BIL got his first bear last night off the Salmon FSR. A half a klick follow/stalk in fading light, staying cool and waiting for the right shot, then a 25 yard lung hit and a couple more to anchor a 5' bruin that was very fat from all the berries in an open cut block. Then a gutting and half a klick drag back to the truck in the dark, to build character. His first skinning/butchering today went well with lots of good practice for island deer later in the fall. We'll be out over the next week for the other BIL to do his thing.

ALPINE
08-16-2011, 01:40 PM
LOL. Good job. The blackies are everywhere around here. Just go for a drive down an FSR (like you lads did).

Ghillie
08-16-2011, 01:45 PM
Any pics of the bear your brother in law got?

fester
08-16-2011, 02:13 PM
Right on emerson, your nailing them. i saw one up chuchinka the other day.

emerson
08-17-2011, 03:11 PM
Pics exist in some form, but with the family reunion ongoing and limited IT skills they probably won't make in on here. It was right at 5' with 2 1/2" of fat on the butt hump. Lots of raspberry bushes covered with berries where the bear was living; we took a walk back there this morning but nothing doing. We did see what looked like a juvenile cinnamon grizz yesterday when we were getting rid of butchering left overs, and a cow moose in a cut block this morning. Fester, are you still looking for a muzzle loader bear? Or only a spring one with a nice hide?

fester
08-17-2011, 03:37 PM
I would love to get out and get one but it will have to wait until the spring, too much going on before I leave for up north hunting.
I have that frame pack for you to try out if you are interested.

emerson
08-18-2011, 10:31 AM
I would love to get out and get one but it will have to wait until the spring, too much going on before I leave for up north hunting.
I have that frame pack for you to try out if you are interested.
I ended up getting a Mystery Ranch NICE frame and load sling. It seems like a good set up that adjusts to my height and still carries the weight on the hips and close to the back. Hopefully I'll have a couple of big quarters to test it with in the next few months.

emerson
08-21-2011, 05:20 PM
BIL #2 got his first black bear on Saturday morning on the east side of the Hominka River. He spotted it jumping a log in the bush, but because of trees in the way and high brush, he didn't have a shot with clear back up from BIL #1 (I think the gut and drag in the dark on Monday had him being careful about making sure the bear dropped quick). We walked down the FSR paralleling the bear until the road crossed a small creek with a bridge giving us a bit of a higher vantage point. Other than occasional glimpses, all we could see was the bush moving as the bear walked directly toward us where the creek came out from under the bridge. We didn't have eyes on until about 10 yds, and then only a head on one. BIL #2 showed the same patience as BIL #1 had on Monday and waited until the bear turned to our right to climb up to the road at about 8 yds. One lung shot with the 30-06, then a back up spine shot by BIL#1 so no dragging out required, and a then a finisher. The 15 min gutting wasn't bad for some one who hadn't butchered anything for 12 years and we were on our way. We skinned and quartered it on the tailgate before home and the last of it is cooling down in the BBQ pot as I type. This finishes a great week of success and learning for 2 new hunters. We are already planning a spring black bear and depending on the draws, trying for a grizz too. They are tight for time so we will try to day a "long weekend" camp in the spring.