PDA

View Full Version : 7-24 moose - Vandalism?

Philcott
08-11-2011, 08:46 AM
We are going into 7-24 at the end of September for a couple of weeks for moose. I was chatting with my hunting partner earlier in the week and he said another friend of his told him that there is a pretty high risk of vandalism and theft in there.

Does anyone know if that area has a high rate of incidents of people coming in and thrashing your camp?

I know stuff can happen anywhere but so far we have not been touched. I hope that continues.

Thanks.

jml11
08-11-2011, 12:32 PM
I don't think it would be any worse than anywhere else really.

I've never heard of anyone having issues out there but I suppose if the wrong individual happens upon your camp and you are away hunting then it could happen. It's a known fact that some 'road hunters' are not hunting for wildlife....unfortunaltey...

dropshot
08-11-2011, 12:39 PM
We have been in there without any problems but it only takes one person to ruin your day

Philcott
08-11-2011, 12:55 PM
I think my buddies friend might be thinking about the area where road blocks and tolls have been put up in years past.

bear buster
08-11-2011, 11:08 PM
never could figure out who has the balls to steal or vandalise a hunting camp or trucks that are parked in the bush during hunting season, I sure the hell wouldnt....maybe he or she is not far from there camp or truck, watching through crosshairs..I mean binos.

Jelvis
08-11-2011, 11:25 PM
Then what bear it could escalate?

Darksith
08-12-2011, 06:26 AM
this kind of thing could happen anywhere to anyone. Its best to just make sure anything valuable is locked up, theres not much else you can do. Lets not get into the firebreathing of catching someone in your camp.

wsm
08-12-2011, 08:23 AM
WELL jel i might turn the rifle into a baseball bat , or put the dog on em , but others in that position ? who knows.

Philcott
08-12-2011, 11:22 AM
this kind of thing could happen anywhere to anyone. Its best to just make sure anything valuable is locked up, theres not much else you can do. Lets not get into the firebreathing of catching someone in your camp.

Oh I know it can happen anywhere. I was mostly just concerned if there was a higher concentration in that area due to not being welcome or if it was similar to most of BC where you need to just take normal precautions.

08-12-2011, 11:34 AM
Phill,
I've been to 7-24 3 times with no problem. I think, like Darksith you just need to lock up the valuables and dont think about it happening when you are out hunting. I tell my friends that all the time. You cant be worried about it, otherwise you will be worried all the time.
7-24 is a good area.

Philcott
08-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Phill,
you just need to lock up the valuables
7-24 is a good area.

So the whiskey comes in the truck each morning then.?

I've never worried about it in the past and doubt I'll worry about it this trip either since no one has said it has a higher incident rate.

Looking forward to checking out the new area.

08-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Yup, The "Bait" Goes in the truck! :)
I love checking out new ground. And 7-24 is big so you dont need to spend so much time thinking about where you are in relation to the boundaries.
You should pick up a Migratory liscense if your bringing a boat. There were a couple awesome sloughs there to plug mallards. Its a great way to spend an afternoon. There only 17 bucks so if you dont wind up using it your not out a bunch of money.

nap
08-12-2011, 05:38 PM
7-24 is a very huge area, hunted it for the last 15 years, and never had any problems at all. Talked to alot of hunters over that time and is the first of every hearing anything of the sort and the road blocks and tolls, where would those of been? What part of 7-24 does your bud hang out in?

moosinaround
08-12-2011, 05:50 PM
Philcott, it is a very good spot to hunt in. There is lots of traffic, both hunting and industrial. There are tons of spots to get away from the traffic though. PM me if you would like a few spots to check out. I have done a fair amount of both hunting and industrial work out that way, and have harvested moose in not so difficult spots. I have never been vandalized out there, but just use normal precautions and you should be ok. Good hunting, Moosin

Vader
08-13-2011, 12:29 AM
I think the reference to blockades and such is likely 7-38 7-39 7-40 area.. Since the roads been pushed through instead of the barge.. Traffic has definitely increased. Was stopped once about 10 pm by truckload asking "if i knew how far to da next gash shtashun wuz"!.. 240 kms from the highway.. little late to be asking that... didnt answer and didnt answer any other questions either..

Ride Red
08-13-2011, 05:51 AM
Nice area to hunt with lots of small lakes/water holes/creeks around. We never had any issues back in there either, but as usual, don't leave any bait out for the rats to come in for. We had some friends lose a moose quarter to a grizzly one year though. It was in camp hanging up on the pole and a grizz came in the middle of the night and stole a quarter. If you have a small boat it will be a bonus to float the lakes. Good luck.

Philcott
08-13-2011, 09:33 AM
7-24 is a very huge area, hunted it for the last 15 years, and never had any problems at all. Talked to alot of hunters over that time and is the first of every hearing anything of the sort and the road blocks and tolls, where would those of been? What part of 7-24 does your bud hang out in?

Hi Nap,

I'm beginning to think my hunting partner's friend had the area mixed up with another part of BC.

papaken
08-13-2011, 11:41 AM
Don't know about 7-24 but I have hunted 7-25 + 7-26 a number of times and never had a problem. Left truck parked and hiked for hours. Actually in all my years hunting, fishing, and camping I have been lucky not to have had any problems. But like others have said it only takes one &*^*% to ruin your day.

Peter Pepper
08-13-2011, 03:28 PM
Then what bear it could escalate?

Or de-escalate really fast...SSS

kodimack
08-14-2011, 08:40 AM
For 8 years we hunted 7-24 & 7-16 with no isues ,just lock up your gear ,gas ,ect. you could put a trail cam in view of your camp for that extra insurance .I know the resort owner at Mcloud Lk. has had Vandalism problems over the years for the most part in the off season.
Have a good hunt.

walks with deer
08-16-2011, 01:54 PM
Someone stole my dads bow out of camp.