PDA

View Full Version : Cache Creek Area

FlyingHigh
09-02-2006, 09:30 PM
I've been given permission to bow hunt some private land near Loon Lake over the thanksgiving weekend. If my memory serves me correctly both Blacktail and Whitetail are open in "any buck" season. This will be my first real hunting trip ever, so I'm pretty stoked. :grin: Unfortunately, I am unable to go with an experienced hunter. I am a fair shot out to about 30-40 yards and feel confident in my skills. Getting lots of practice shooting and even some calling practice in. I'm looking for info as to what sort of camo would be best in that area (would Mossy Oak work fine?), whether i should set up a blind or walk and stalk etc. thanks in advance.

Jelvis
09-02-2006, 10:13 PM
I know of one fella on huntig Bc.ca that has done what your asking and hunts private ranches up north. He used a ground blind and a decoy deer, add a little doe in heat scent, one thing to look for is what way is the wind blowing, ask rancher where the deer come down to his fields and go from there, I think any camo would work and camo your face. Set up where the deer frequent so the wind comes from the deer towards you, don't panic, aim properly, let fly. You'll be FlyingHigh Jelly Roll

huntwriter
09-02-2006, 10:57 PM
Lucky you to hunt on private property, that way you will not have to put up with other hunters. The camouflage should be okay. My personal choice would be ASAT or Predator, which I consider the best bow hunting camouflage.

Spot and stalk in the early season can be a very trying affair even for the most experienced hunter. I reserve this tactic for the late winter season when I can see for a long way. You best choice is to do some scouting and then build a ground blind with material you find on the location such as branches, twigs and grass, or just sit behind a deadfall tree. Your best choice would be to hunt from a tree stand, for bow hunting this devices are hard to beat.