PDA

View Full Version : DFO maps are confusing as $hit, please help

Mike26
08-10-2011, 09:04 PM
Okay so I am going to Black Creek / Oyster River next week and want to do some fishing. I have no boat so I am fishing from shore. I understand that pinks are running into Oyster river but I am wondering if I am allowed to fish at the mouth. I have attached a google map link. The area i am thinking is where you can see the sand bars and clearly where the river meets the ocean. any and all tips and clarification on this area would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.
http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=49.872222,-125.113227&spn=0.006763,0.01929&t=h&z=16&vpsrc=6

Whonnock Boy
08-10-2011, 09:22 PM
Found this in a search. Hope it helps for you. Keep in mind this is dated June of last year. It helps with the boundaries though.

Recreational Fish Harvesters are advised that the following closure remains in effect:

The current non-retention, non-possession regulation for ANY species of Salmon in the NON-TIDAL portions of the Oyster River and Tributaries, remains in effect year round.

(Closed to fishing for Salmon in the non-tidal portions of the Oyster River)

Yellow Triangle signs posted: one on the Pac. Playgrounds side and one on the tree on the North side of the Oyster River, indicate the tidal/non-tidal boundary for the Oyster River. These signs are located at the estuary.

Salmon fishing is open in the tidal portions of the Oyster River as per the 2009-2011 BC Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Guide.

Non-retention of Wild Trout and Char. Retention of hatchery marked fish only. Daily Limit 2. 30cm Min. Size.

Mike26
08-10-2011, 09:39 PM
Thank you, that is exactly where we are staying (pac playground) and I want to keep the fish so I gather I have to make sure I stay in the tidal area of what is posted

longstonec
08-10-2011, 10:17 PM
On some rivers there are signs posted that say "Tidal Boundary"

BradB
08-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Was just there yesterday. There are large, triangular signs on trees on either side of the river marking the border between tidal and non-tidal areas. Hope you had more luck than we did. :D

Mike26
08-12-2011, 08:12 PM
BradB, were you tidal side or non tidal side? what were you going for? what where you using? You know, just so I don't do the same. lol sorry you had bad luck, I leave tuesday so I will keep you posted.