PDA

View Full Version : Province Newspaper says sockeye open on saturday for anglers

ultramafic
08-10-2011, 08:06 PM
Not sure where they are getting their info from I could not find any confirmation on this news but they seem to feel that it will open on saturday

"Anglers can head to the Fraser beginning Saturday, when a three-day recreational opening begins."

http://www.theprovince.com/Fraser+River+sockeye+salmon+opens+Thursday/5237693/story.html

NaStY
08-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Hmm not sure about the 3 day thing, but pretty sure we will see the river open this weekend....

Johnnybear
08-10-2011, 11:39 PM
I always get a kick out of the numbers "between 1.5 million to 7 million sockeye". Pretty big spread IMO:confused:.

stanway
08-11-2011, 08:14 AM
Didn't the Province announce a sockeye opening a couple of years ago that the DFO had no announcement notice for? I remember that one caused massive confusion.

ultramafic
08-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Well not sure if they are right but actually read it in the hard print paper today Thursday 11 Aug. same article. The Province is well known to be more like a tabloid in my opinion but hey you never know they may be right for once. As a side note saw a whole lot of Gill Net boats in the Fraser under the Port Mann Bridge today so there is definitly something afoot.

mike

stanway
08-12-2011, 08:16 AM
Well, they got it right this time. It's just kind of funny how they can make an announcement before the official DFO posting. Anyway...

It is going to be 'interesting', to say the least, tomorrow. There are already people camped out on the Rosedale bar - probably set up last night. I'm going to try and find a spot tomorrow morning and give it a try, but I have a feeling it is going to be a zoo.

Good luck to everyone heading out this weekend!

James

Well not sure if they are right but actually read it in the hard print paper today Thursday 11 Aug. same article. The Province is well known to be more like a tabloid in my opinion but hey you never know they may be right for once. As a side note saw a whole lot of Gill Net boats in the Fraser under the Port Mann Bridge today so there is definitly something afoot.

mike