PDA

View Full Version : what's in your pack

dave_83golf
08-10-2011, 11:55 AM
I have recently purchased a new hunting pack, and I'd like to stock it with all of the essentials. I generally put 5-10km on my feet each day, unless I'm still hunting... I know what I like to have in my pack... What are some of the things you guys/gals consider to be essentials???

rocksteady
08-10-2011, 11:58 AM
Toilet paper (good for wiping your ass and marking blood trails or trails period in the dark)
couple knives
water
GPS/batteries
Camera/batteries
Toque/gloves
Lighter
Cell phone...

Elk calls...

Binos...Small spotting scope/ small tripod....

Elk calls...

Paper towels (in case you run out of ass wipe)

More elk calls....

I like to pack light so that I can hustle and move quickly to get around the elk....

08-10-2011, 12:03 PM
these threads are always good.

for me it depends on the hunt, some things are added some are taken out but the constants are

Compass
gps
range finder
knives
small first aid kit
space blanket
couple of granola bars from last hunt
dragging rope
head lamp
spare batteries
surveyers tape
string
fire maker
couple big ziplocks
grocery bag
water/lunch

Some things that go in and out are warm gear like touque gloves and a spare sweater in a water tight bag.
game care stuff like game bags small tarp.

Bad lands Diablo is this years new pack.

Right, Thanks Rock Steady i almost forgot! Bung wipe

Salty
08-10-2011, 12:10 PM
in my day pack-

water
granola and energy bars
space blanket
rubber rain pants
touques gloves
extra sweater
knives sharpening gear
folding bone/wood saw
tp paper towel
camera
rangefinder
*new this yr - SPOT
survey flagging
duct tape
50 ft light but very strong rope
deer calls
first aid kit

binocs around neck main knife on belt licences in wallet compas around neck + in pocket

edit - forgot lighters and wp matches

buckhunter
08-10-2011, 12:18 PM
extra batteries,gps,backroads map book, rope, windproof lighter/waterproof matches,compass,knife,gatorade,candy or trailmix,first aid kit,bullets,fishing supplies,snare wire,duct tape,poncho/giant garbage bag,extra socks,toque,gloves,toilet paper,trail marking tape,flashlight or cap light,dental floss and sewing needle, i put mostly everything in ziplock bags to keep them as dry as possible.

08-10-2011, 12:25 PM
Ya ever wonder why your pack is so heavy??? We have enough stuff to survive for a week in them!

todbartell
08-10-2011, 12:50 PM
shit tickets
gps
hunting license
headlamp
few extra shells
food/water
rain jacket

1 shot 1 kill
08-10-2011, 01:09 PM
for me i usuall carry more than needed.:
good knives with stone x2
gps/betteries
flint strickers x2
survival blankets x3
75 foot roll of good rope
folding saw
survival candles 24hr kind x4
glow sticks x4
first aid kit
TP with towlettes
water proof matches
spot messanger
multi-tool
snare wire 20 feet
gloves, socks, toque
spare laces good quality ones
energy bars, or power i can mix up
xtra rounds
bug juice usually wipes
assorted calls depending what i am chasing
and it will depend on weather etc as well, i tend to strap my rain gear onto the sides of my pack as well

hellojello74
08-10-2011, 01:26 PM
It would be cool too if you guys had an approximate total weight listed as well. Just trying to have some great info

walks with deer
08-10-2011, 01:37 PM
All seem like similair pack as me i like to be prepared to stay as long as i may need and stay light all the items listed by above seem bang on.

And when in doubt in case the hunting is slow hard alchoal and dirty mags.

1 shot 1 kill
08-10-2011, 01:38 PM
mine with the above listed contents runs around 12lbs...more if it is dead of winter as i would have more clothes in there and emergency heater with fuel sticks
sounds like alot of gear but most of it is small non bulky stuff, heaviest stuff being the knives and rope.
and i forgot to mention my small mag light with batteries.

buck nash
08-10-2011, 03:31 PM
My day pack

licence + tags
knife
20' of 3/8"rope
2 game bags
keytag sized compass
gps
I print a map and sat image of the area I intend to hunt before leaving
space blanket
head lamp
spare socks
lightweight poncho
light weight hatchet
cliff bar
lighter
spare magazine loaded
binos
camera
stainless steel water bottle
tp
spot device
coughlans survival bag
wallet sized 1st aid kit
2 "revolver" carabiners (have built in pulley) can be used as block+tackle for hoisting game to skin and gut

Some of the stuff actually goes in my pockets or around my neck. I've never weighed this but it all fits in a fanny pack and is the smallest and lightest I can find. I would guess it comes in at about 5-6 pounds. I don't carry spare batteries cause I always start with fresh lithium batteries and every thing runs on AA so I can move then from camera to spot to gps etc. if needed.

Salty
08-10-2011, 03:42 PM
It would be cool too if you guys had an approximate total weight listed as well. Just trying to have some great info

in my day pack-

water
granola and energy bars
space blanket
rubber rain pants
touques gloves
extra sweater
knives sharpening gear
folding bone/wood saw
tp paper towel
camera
rangefinder
*new this yr - SPOT
survey flagging
duct tape
50 ft light but very strong rope
deer calls
first aid kit

binocs around neck main knife on belt licences in wallet compas around neck + in pocket

edit - forgot lighters and wp matches and head lamp+spare batteries

I'd say 25lbs no more than 30 for sure. A little too much stuff for a day pack but with this much as a buddy timber cruiser used to say it could be the difference between a shitty night in the bush and a really, really, really shitty night in the bush; or worse.

wicket
08-10-2011, 03:57 PM
everything mentioned in the above posts except one extra thing a copy of my brothers permit to accompany me .....ah jeesh just couldnt resist...love posting when my back is buggered and my pain pills have been refilled :p oh yah i find a small stuff sac really handy

Jelvis
08-10-2011, 04:22 PM
Don't use a pack and never will for day hunts, I use pants with cargo pockets and a hunting belt, I travel light and I'm not scared of the bush. My buddy brings one for day hunts in Barriere and it drives me nutz, like he scared of something in the bush lol.
A day hunt and you need a pack? C'mon man.
Jel . don't make sense at all where I hunt there's bushes and windfalls ..
The deer would hear you coming a mile away I told him. lol. Road hunter deep down lol. Time to leave mommy at home.

showtimebc
08-10-2011, 05:15 PM
I have alot of the same things that you guys have in your packs, but one differnce that I find to be very effective is instead of rope I have 200lb briaded fishing line. Not only is it very strong, its practical for many things. Plus I can get 100 yards of it compared to 20ft of normal rope.

moose2
08-10-2011, 05:42 PM
I have alot of the same things that you guys have in your packs, but one differnce that I find to be very effective is instead of rope I have 200lb briaded fishing line. Not only is it very strong, its practical for many things. Plus I can get 100 yards of it compared to 20ft of normal rope.

I like the fishing line idea I never thought of that before. I hunt august moose near beaver dams and have had to swim to a couple and pull them back with rope by hand to where I could deal with them. 100 yards would be handy for this, I am sure it would be strong enough to pull a floating moose as well.
Mike

sakofinnlight
08-10-2011, 07:42 PM
x2 on the fishing line Buddy. great idea we had, other than when dragging out travis buck we had it doubled up and it still broke going over all the logs and stumps. This year I will be adding about 15 feet of stronger rope as well!
As for the rest of my pack I have a Eberlestock J34 and I love it for day hikes far from the truck as it packs down very small and it has ample space to open up and put a deboned deer in it (havent done this yet but im hoping by a alpine mulie will be in it by the 12th of sept :)
-spare socks
-rain gear
-lighter, matches, flint and cotton in ziplocks
-tp
-flagging tape
-150 yrds of 200lb tuff line
-gps
-Headlamp
-minimumum 2 hunting knifes, 1 swiss army and olfa knife
-gerber collapsable bone/wood saw
-Game bags
-toque, gloves
-calls
-camera

Hmm I think thats about it, as the winter moves in I will always have a extra thermal pair of clothes for the unexpected storm.
Cant wait to get out there, 29 days until departure for a mulie!

dutchie
08-10-2011, 08:37 PM
Right now I have Beer and fishing gear... going to catch a few trout tomorrow!

In my hunting pack I have all the essentials incase of a "HOLY SH*T" situation arises...

Jet boil, tent, sleeping mat, sleeping bag, water purifier, rain gear, and 10 Mountain house meals, my emergency pack with the fire starter, striker, and toilet paper...

I feel that if I get in trouble in the bush I can always get myself away with that stuff.

Ohh... that stays in my truck, because I tend to do things spiratically after work and in the mornings... I never have to worry about the essentials!

Dutchie

Weatherby Fan
08-10-2011, 09:20 PM
In my daypack-
Licence
TP
Wyoming saw
Wyoming Knife
Victorinox serated knife
100ft of spectra twine
Camera
Compass