PDA

View Full Version : Vortex Vulture vs Nikon Monarch in 10 X 56

gameslayer
08-10-2011, 12:48 AM
Hello guys,

Been a while since I have been on the site, been busy. So what are your opinions on the Nikon Monarch PC 10x56 ATB Binocular vs the Vortex Vulture 10x56 Binocular VR-1056 .
I need a new pair and have read a bunch of other bino threads, seems the vortex are liked I never heard of the Vulture before. They both seem to be just under $400 the nikon slightly cheaper. Vortex seems to have a good rep for the warrenty Nikon has a $10 replacment warrenty if it is your fault. I was as well looking at the Leupold Green Ring Olympic 10X50mm Wind River Roof Prism Black Binoculars 54205 at Cabellas in Lacey goes for the same cost as the other 2 I have mentioned, I like the idea of the larger objective lens. I am not worried about the size but if one was more ergonomic not compromizing quality I would likley favour it.

Like most guys looking for good optics in low light conditions that do not break the bank (too many mouths to feed) .

thanks

Steeleco
08-10-2011, 12:52 AM
They're all good but that size is not anything I'd ever buy. Man those are big. I've packed a pair of Monarch's for near 10 years in 10x42. Don't think I've missed that much with them. That extra 14 mm may just be a pita on long walks?

gameslayer
08-11-2011, 10:47 PM
I hear you Steeleco, I have always liked the idea of the most visibility I can get, I may regret it but I am not 100% commited yet. I used to pack around a cheap pair of 12 X 50 that fogged up all the time and they were big and never bothered me at all as for size for size, I did a lot of hiking with them. I see Nikon has a Rebate going on the 10 X 42 Monarch ATB until September I still may consider those.

Steeleco
08-11-2011, 11:09 PM
Where's home? I'll let you try the ones I have if you like? I bought mine at bincularscanada originally. Spring bear 2010 I broke the eye piece for the right eye. One trip to the Richmond warranty depot and a month later (out of stock on the replacement) I had a new set of Monarch 3's Much brighter than the old ones.

I hear lots of guys like the Vortex bino's. I looked at the Leupold line when I was shopping, but the deal of the day was my Nikon's.

luckofthedraw
08-12-2011, 02:05 AM
I see Nikon has a Rebate going on the 10 X 42 Monarch ATB until September I still may consider those.

Could you post the link where you heard about the rebate? I have done my homework and for the price of the Monarch series and the reviews they seem to get....I'm sold.

longstonec
08-12-2011, 04:56 AM
I have a pair of Vortex Fury's 10x42 and I quite like them. Not as bright I bet.

Hunting guy
08-12-2011, 12:58 PM
Good luck on the $10 your fault warranty, my 10x42 Nikon atb Had sticky eyepeices that eventaully broke, (6 months after purchase) I recently sent them back and was sent an email from nikon of an estimate to repair for only $295!!! They were less than that new. Good luck calling a nikon office in Canada that acctually answers the phone, I have tried a half dozen times and left messages. I still think they are super clear binoculars for the price but they are made very cheap out of plastic threads that do crack on the eyepieces the first time they get gummed up. The warranty doesn't exist. Had a problem with Leupold binos that I ruined because of hard use, sent them to the Alberta repair branch to see if there was anything they could do about them and they sent me a brand new pair, they even paid the shipping. If I purchase Nikon again I will base their price on 3 or 4 pairs VS the cost of one pair from a company with a good warranty program.I have heard Vortex has a very good warranty.

gameslayer
08-12-2011, 07:13 PM
Here you go luckofthedraw,
through opticsplanet.com

Nikon 10x42mm Monarch ATB High Reflective Prism Binoculars (http://www.opticsplanet.net/nikon-10x42mm-monarch-atb-binoculars-high-reflective-prism-binoculars.html)

List Price$450.95Our Price$299.95Available Rebate-$50.00(details (http://images1.opticsplanet.com/pdf/opplanet-nikon-monarch-madness-50-mailin-rebate.pdf))Price After Rebate$249.95Total Savings$201.00 (44.57%)

Steeleco
08-12-2011, 07:31 PM
The one thing with buying in the US, your warranty up here good or bad is void in Canada.

Look here http://www.binocularscanada.com/eNet-cart/product.asp?pid=35513&cat=10

gameslayer
08-12-2011, 07:59 PM
Hello,

Just live the other side of the bridge from you in M.R. reading your recent bear thread. Thanks for the offer, I may call Wholesale to see what they stock to look at any larger objectives in the models mentioned.

gameslayer
08-12-2011, 08:08 PM
Good Point Steeleco

The Price in the US is tempting but I sure do break a lot of stuff. I see the ones in the the USA are called ATB and the Canadian ones seem to show as DCF look like the same unit but different description. Need to look to see if the other brands void the warrenty as well.

dave_83golf
08-12-2011, 11:37 PM
Regardless of which you choose, pair them with a bino caddy. For anyone who hikes, you will not regret this purchase, I promise!!!