PDA

View Full Version : A sporting first grouse hunt

Morel
08-09-2011, 10:30 PM
Ok folks, here is a rather long grouse hunting question. I am new to hunting and for a first hunt in the fall I am planning on walking logging roads and adjacent clearcuts for grouse. I will stick to grouse and am not considering the possibility of deer at this point. Yes, I have completed the requisite paperwork, spent some quality range time with a .22 and 12 ga (trap) and researched the area.

My question is not weather a .22 or a 12 gauge will kill a grouse but what, in your opinion, makes for a “sporting”, “ethical” or enjoyable hunt? My first plan was to use the .22 but have recently been considering the 12 ga (having a gun that will also shoot slugs for bear defense has also been a consideration). My understanding is that if you find grouse on the roads they don’t flush or don’t fly very far. In this case, it seems reasonable to use a .22. Even though the bird is capable of flying away or flies to a nearby tree and perches, it does not seem particularly sporting to use a 12 gauge on a bird sitting in the road or in a tree. I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks - Morel

KB90
08-09-2011, 10:35 PM
My girlfriend started hunting this year and she was having a hard time with the 22 missing all the birds. So we tried the 20 gauge.

With the switch she went from missing all her attempts to killing 5 in a row. I'm not sure how good of a shot you are but you can increase your success rate with a shotgun.

Once you get a few under your belt and feel confident you could switch to the 22, I enjoy trying to hit them just in the head.

Shooter
08-09-2011, 10:38 PM
Be aware of what is behind the target when shooting Grouse with a .22. This is especially true if shooting at them while they are raised up on a stump or in a tree, where a missed shot has the potential of travelling a long ways. Also I would recommend taking head shots on grouse with a .22. I have seen many breast shot grouse fly away after being hit with a .22. I have seen them flop over flapping all around and then still fly off into the bush never to be recovered yet you know they died.

Glenny
08-09-2011, 10:43 PM
A blast with the first grouse on the ground will usually make em flush and you can take second or third one on the wing. Lotsa fun.

Morel
08-09-2011, 10:58 PM
It seems that the 12 ga is the most sensible option for me.

KB90, I am not as good a shot as I would like to be - group sizes, distance to bull and number of bullseyes don't lie. I will likely be more successful with the 12ga.

Shooter, the distance a .22 bullet will travel has always worried me a little. I have seen lots of videos of people shooting squirrels in trees with only the sky as a backstop. This seems plain unsafe and the same rules would apply to grouse.

Thanks!

Bucks&Ducks
08-09-2011, 11:06 PM
depends where you are hunting, if you are on a road with trees on each side I would use the .22 as they will flush onto higher branches and be easy pickings, if you are on a logging road that has been clearcut and there is sky on all sides they will commonly run off the road and hide in the rubble, when they do this I load up the shot gun and walk off the road towards where I saw it go off and it will flush into the air so you can wing shoot it. its fun and exciting case you never know when its gonna jump

Buckmeister
08-09-2011, 11:14 PM
Even though you said your not considering the possibility of a deer at this time, what you will be doing to find grouse (walking the roads and such) is also a perfect way to find deer. So I would not be surprised if you came across a nice buck or two. I would also suggest walking as quietly as possible and listening hard. Often I have been deer hunting and nearly stepped on a grouse, so when they flush right next to you if almost gives you a heart attack if your not expecting it, but looking back I can recall the small noises a grouse will make that will alert you to it's presense if your close enough but you don't see it, almost like the sound of rustling leaves and sometimes a very faint clucking noise.

fowlweather
08-09-2011, 11:31 PM
if you see a lot of them in a tree shoot the bottom ones first and the others shouldn't flush. while if you see them on the ground shoot the ones in the front first and work your way back

FirePower
08-10-2011, 09:04 AM
Ok folks, here is a rather long grouse hunting question. I am new to hunting and for a first hunt in the fall I am planning on walking logging roads and adjacent clearcuts for grouse. I will stick to grouse and am not considering the possibility of deer at this point. Yes, I have completed the requisite paperwork, spent some quality range time with a .22 and 12 ga (trap) and researched the area.

My question is not weather a .22 or a 12 gauge will kill a grouse but what, in your opinion, makes for a “sporting”, “ethical” or enjoyable hunt? My first plan was to use the .22 but have recently been considering the 12 ga (having a gun that will also shoot slugs for bear defense has also been a consideration). My understanding is that if you find grouse on the roads they don’t flush or don’t fly very far. In this case, it seems reasonable to use a .22. Even though the bird is capable of flying away or flies to a nearby tree and perches, it does not seem particularly sporting to use a 12 gauge on a bird sitting in the road or in a tree. I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks - Morel

Sporting I would say is a head shot with a 22 OR on the wing with a shotgun. Personally I only shoot grouse over my spaniel with my 20 or 28 Ga.but thats a matter of choice, that being said if you are out for a bit of meat for dinner while camping and have only a scatter gun and want to take 1 or 2 sitting, thats fine I think, shoot high for the head or you may be sending your dentist to Hawaii lol.

MillBay
08-10-2011, 09:36 AM
"Personally I only shoot grouse over my spaniel with my 20 or 28 Ga.but thats a matter of choice"

What firepower said is the true sporting end of it, that being said, shooting a tasty legal grouse on a logging road and not blowing the crap out of it is not unsporting or unethical. I prefer it like firepower does but again that's my choice.

Foxton Gundogs
08-10-2011, 09:48 AM
"Personally I only shoot grouse over my spaniel with my 20 or 28 Ga.but thats a matter of choice"

What firepower said is the true sporting end of it, that being said, shooting a tasty legal grouse on a logging road and not blowing the crap out of it is not unsporting or unethical. I prefer it like firepower does but again that's my choice.

3 "dog men" can't be wrong LOL what they said

MillBay
08-10-2011, 10:06 AM
"3 "dog men" can't be wrong LOL what they said"

All spaniel men to boot.

08-10-2011, 10:33 AM
Id go with the shot gun. As has been said, as you sneek down the road and see a Fork standing right there you might want to shoot it!

new hunter
08-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Either gun would be considered sporting , each has its own advantages and challenges . If using a shotgun you will have to be within 20 yrds , that means you may have to stock up on the bird .
Grouse do flush , but not unless youre right on top of them , usually that means you'll be totally unaware of it until it flushes in your face , you'll be more likely to crap yourself than get a shot off . That said a long barreled shot gun will be a handicap for flushed birds , but a short barrel will suck for popping the ones you see . Almost all the grouse I have taken have been at 20 to 40 yrds with a remmy 870 express mag {long barrel } improved cyllinder choke , with #4 shot .
If you hunting on foot it is unlikely you'll see anything at all until you're fairly seasoned , so I really wouldn't worry about having an unfair advantage.
I wouldn't totally right off road hunting with a vehicle for the first season or 2 , I've road hunted for my first couple seasons out of necessity , and covering so much ground in a day has been very educational , it has taught me what type of landscape to look for when hunting grouse , and what sections of my local fsrs they are likely to hang out in .
There are very long sections of road that you won't see anything in , then you'll find a short section where an entire brood hangs out , 4 or 5 birds living in a hundred yrds.
piece of advise , look for areas that look orange in the fall not green , and if you see rabbits you won't see grouse .

Foxton Gundogs
08-10-2011, 02:58 PM
"3 "dog men" can't be wrong LOL what they said"

All spaniel men to boot.

SHHHHH don't want my Goldens to bite me at feeding time lol.

FirePower
08-10-2011, 03:13 PM
Either gun would be considered sporting , each has its own advantages and challenges . If using a shotgun you will have to be within 20 yrds , that means you may have to stock up on the bird .
Grouse do flush , but not unless youre right on top of them , usually that means you'll be totally unaware of it until it flushes in your face , you'll be more likely to crap yourself than get a shot off . That said a long barreled shot gun will be a handicap for flushed birds , but a short barrel will suck for popping the ones you see . Almost all the grouse I have taken have been at 20 to 40 yrds with a remmy 870 express mag {long barrel } improved cyllinder choke , with #4 shot .
If you hunting on foot it is unlikely you'll see anything at all until you're fairly seasoned , so I really wouldn't worry about having an unfair advantage.
I wouldn't totally right off road hunting with a vehicle for the first season or 2 , I've road hunted for my first couple seasons out of necessity , and covering so much ground in a day has been very educational , it has taught me what type of landscape to look for when hunting grouse , and what sections of my local fsrs they are likely to hang out in .
There are very long sections of road that you won't see anything in , then you'll find a short section where an entire brood hangs out , 4 or 5 birds living in a hundred yrds.
piece of advise , look for areas that look orange in the fall not green , and if you see rabbits you won't see grouse .

Like NH says a shorter barrel makes for a way faster swing and you need it at times but my 2 guns of choice have 24 andd 26" barrels respectively and I'm good out to about 30 yds. so you dont have to be right on top of them and speaking from over 55 years as an upland shooter #4s?? way over kill IMO. I use a good field grade 6 or 7.5 and have used 8s and believe me they are more than adiquite and do a lot less damage. If for some un benounced reason you were using steel then maybe 5s but no bigger. Before the advent of the steel law we shot ducks with 5s and 6s and if there was a goose op at our blind 4s. so we wern't fumbeling to change shells at the criticle moment.
Not sre about the rabbit thing I have flushed grouse and bolted dabbits within a few hundred yards of each other, guess no one told THEM lol.:-?

MillBay
08-10-2011, 06:02 PM
Just to add to FirePower's thing on shot size, it also depends on the type of grouse you are hunting. A big full grown blue at about 3 1/2 pounds don't get knocked down easily with 7 1/2 and 8 shot, where as for a ruff that works fine. Flying and standing also make a difference. I use 5's and 6's for blues.

Foxton Gundogs
08-10-2011, 06:15 PM
Just to add to FirePower's thing on shot size, it also depends on the type of grouse you are hunting. A big full grown blue at about 3 1/2 pounds don't get knocked down easily with 7 1/2 and 8 shot, where as for a ruff that works fine. Flying and standing also make a difference. I use 5's and 6's for blues.

I agree I use a good grade "high brass" #6 for blues and phesant. Works good in my Model 12 or Red Label I shoot the M12 Modified and the Red Label Mod/IC

Mike26
08-10-2011, 10:13 PM
Well this is very enlightening to me too, but as I don't own a rifle I am going for head shots with my bow. Gonna miss a few, gonna get a few. 10 days to go!

Morel
08-11-2011, 09:23 AM
I greatly appreciate all of the opinions and advice. I will likely end up trying both during the season as I get more familiar with the terrain and habits of the birds.
Will let you know how things go.
Cheers

dutchie
08-11-2011, 09:58 AM
To add, the time you hunt is just like any big game.

You have to know what times they are the most active.

I have always found that early in the morning and from about 2 o'clock pm to about 5 o'clock pm to be the best time. Same with Rabbits!

I would not discount rabbit hunting because they are actually really fun to hunt and it is pretty easy. I use a .22 for both. Rabbits are great eating too.

Dutchie

Jedcote50
08-11-2011, 03:18 PM
I started hunting 'chickens' with a O/U 12 ga. many years ago because that's all I had, I graduated to a 20 ga pump but now I use a 410. My hunting buddies have used 22's because they felt it was more sporting, but I've seen a lot of birds fly away after being hit. If you use a 22 you have to be a GOOD shot, and I suggest aiming only for their head.
Knowing which type of grouse you are likely to come across will also determine the best choice of fire power to use.Grouse are very approachable early in the season, before they get spooked by people shooting them. Each species has their preferred habitat in which they thrive and this will also factor into your gun choice. I have found that Spruce grouse sit the longest , that's why they're known as fool hens. You'll hear stories of people killing them with a stick or rock but a 22 on these guys works well. Ruffies are often the most common bird found here in the interior and are generally quicker to fly then Spruces, but early in the season they can be easy pickin' off the roadside, you can use either your 22 or 12 ga. for these guys. My favorite are the Blues, they are generally bigger and more skidish than their cousins and you generally find these guys up higher in dryer locations. These birds are quick off the draw and your shot gun works the best on them. I'll shoot any of them off the roadside if given a shot, but they are the most fun if you can get them on the wing. When I had a retriever dog I would only wing shoot but now I'm not as die hard because I can't scamper thru the brush to find the downed quarry. Shooting birds out of a tree is no different them taking them off the road (ethically ) but remember that the trajectory of your shot is very different and the likelyhood of ' peppering ' the meat is greater.
I only use size 6 or 7 1/2 shot, anything else just rips the meat up too much. When I was younger I would keep a few slugs ( for the 12 or 20 ga. ) handy just in case I stumbled on a deer, but that didn't happen very often. Now I find that I hunt for deer early in the morning and look for chickens later when it warms up. The afternoon is good for both but by then I've figured out which game I want to concentrate on on that particular day. I've nailed a few birds with the 30:06 but the novelty for that wears out when all you are left with is half a breast and a bunch of feathers.
Last but not least, here's a tip for cleaning your grouse. Usually most people use the old ' stand on the wings and pull the feet ' method, which works wonderfully as long as you remove the head first and do it while the bird is still WARM ( and remember to keep at least one wing attached for ID ).
I found grouse hunting an ideal way to start my hunting experience and gain valuable bush sense. Have fun.

NorthShoreX
08-11-2011, 03:48 PM

I have always found that early in the morning and from about 2 o'clock pm to about 5 o'clock pm to be the best time. Same with Rabbits!

I would not discount rabbit hunting because they are actually really fun to hunt and it is pretty easy. I use a .22 for both. Rabbits are great eating too.

Dutchie

I went on my first ever hunt on Monday-Tuesday for Snowshoe Hares. You're right, it is really fun. It was very hot where we were, so they didn't come out until 5:30pm and they stayed out until 10:30am. I got two in a half-hour on Tuesday morning, my buddy got one. We used .22's on them. The only thing we had a problem with was trying to close the gap with out getting spotted, those hares have good sight and hearing.

Morel
08-12-2011, 09:52 AM
If you use a 22 you have to be a GOOD shot, and I suggest aiming only for their head.

Jedcote50, I was planning on going for blue/sooty grouse. What, is your criteria for being a good shot with a .22?

I have been practicing basic skills like trigger control from a bench at 25 and 50m aiming at a 3/4" spot using my .22 (Savage Mark II bolt). I have been shooting groups of 6-10 shots and measuring group size, average distance from the centre of the target spot and number of hits on the target. I feel the only measures that really matters for hunting is the number of times I hit the 3/4" target - everything else would be a miss when aiming for the head. The measures of average distance and group size are ways of measuring improvement (right now my average distance from the bull at 50m for 371 individual shots over 4 trips to the range is 2.5cm (1"). I am now working on shooting from a standing position and will also work on kneeling (prone seems unreasonable for grouse but will be useful in the future for deer).

Is this a reasonable choice of practice target for blue grouse (3/4" circles)? I could not find measurements for a grouse head so used the head size of a domestic chicken (1") as a starting point.

In shooting 10 shot groups, what would be a reasonable objective for practicing (5/10, 10/10)? Out of 10, ten shot groups (100 shots in total) what would be a reasonable objective for practicing (i.e. what would qualify as a good shot)? I guy I was talking with at a gun shop basically indicated that he shot 1/2" groups with a Ruger 10/22 at 50m. When I asked if this was 3 shots or 10 he replied that you should be able to shoot as many shots as you want and keep them within 1/2" if you were good. I don't have enough experience to determine if he is being a salesperson or is really a very good shot (my inclination is to take his advice with a grain of salt).

Cheers,

new hunter
08-13-2011, 09:21 AM
When it comes to rifle accuracy I have found that it is all dependent on you position and your rest . I shot some subsonics out of my norinco the other day and yes I could group consistintly in under an inch , but I was shooting prone off a sand bag . If i were shooting standing or kneeling I would be challenged to hit a pop can at that range {not really , but close } . I have also found that your choice of ammo affects youre accuracy , my small groups at fifty were with cci sub sonics , then I shot some cans at 125 with american eagle hv hollowpoinst and saw my groups open right up { kneeling and off the bag } . After I shot up the A.E. I found some remington thunder bolts and some winchester super x in my truck , both shot better than the A.E. , and both shot different than each other {remigtons were best } but niether shot as well as the subsonics .
I have two suggestions for you , one is to make a set of shooting sticks out of some thick dowel {improvised bipod , but taller , more suitable for kneeling shots instead of prone } , they have helped my long range accuracy alot . The other is to buy a whole bunch of small bricks of ammo {.22 is cheap } . Take youre 10-22 , youre cleaning kit and some sight in targets to your range and shoot for groups . Take some sand bags with you , it will take the guess work out of youre results .
I just re read youre last post , and it sound like you have a pretty good idea of what youre doing already , with practice and the right ammo I'm sure you'll be a regular grouse sniper . Be patient and shoot those one inch groups like youre shooting a grand , and have fun this season.

barry6.5x55
08-13-2011, 12:16 PM
When you are grouse only hunting that is when you will see tons of deer thats just it way it
goes !!! as for your question I say go with a shotgun over .22 for grouse initially.

Morel
08-14-2011, 11:07 PM

Ahhhh, harsh reality intrudes. I expect the first couple of seasons to be a bit of a bust in terms of actually catching a grouse so will take every opportunity to learn about their behaviour, habitat etc. I will not discount a bit of driving but am looking forward to walking, if not for the grouse then just for the walking - thinking and observing time. I expect the learning curve to be a bit steep. Grouse are mostly able to avoid far better predators than me.

Spirit's Master
08-16-2011, 12:17 PM
Don't be discouraged Morel, I'm entering my third year of hunting and have already taken a few grouse. My lab is 2 1/2 yrs old and has been a great help in scaring up birds. We have found a few spots that have produced birds consistently. Some grouse is better than no grouse.

Put in the miles on foot. Go slow, listen and keep searching. Here on the Island we've seen grouse in all sorts of spots, on stumps, 20' up trees, in ditches, in/under bushes and on the road.

And all of our birds have been taken with a 12g, usually 7.5 shot. No problems with pellets.

sapper
08-16-2011, 02:48 PM
Ahhhh, harsh reality intrudes. I expect the first couple of seasons to be a bit of a bust in terms of actually catching a grouse so will take every opportunity to learn about their behaviour, habitat etc. I will not discount a bit of driving but am looking forward to walking, if not for the grouse then just for the walking - thinking and observing time. I expect the learning curve to be a bit steep. Grouse are mostly able to avoid far better predators than me.
I've never had any success in "catching" them. You will likely run into all kinds of game though as you try to hunt and shoot grouse. ;-)

Backcountry archer
08-16-2011, 03:11 PM
I try to pass on to all new hunters that when hunting Grouse, try not to "clean up" on the entire covey.
If it is a large group with full size young, take one or two and leave the rest. Good management I think.

Morel
10-23-2011, 08:40 PM
Even though you said your not considering the possibility of a deer at this time, what you will be doing to find grouse (walking the roads and such) is also a perfect way to find deer. So I would not be surprised if you came across a nice buck or two. I would also suggest walking as quietly as possible and listening hard. Often I have been deer hunting and nearly stepped on a grouse, so when they flush right next to you if almost gives you a heart attack if your not expecting it, but looking back I can recall the small noises a grouse will make that will alert you to it's presense if your close enough but you don't see it, almost like the sound of rustling leaves and sometimes a very faint clucking noise.

Well today I am kicking myself for not following your advice. On my last grouse hunt I got two birds (ruffed and spruce) and figured out how to cook them without making them tough (great) but I also saw a spike buck on the trail. I did not have a tag or ammunition for the deer - my wife is very disappointed that I did not come home with a deer (I love my wife). I had essentially perfect shots from about 25m while we stared at each other (at least a minute or more) and he sauntered off into the bush (I got the sarcasm in his walk loud and clear). I am bragging to my friends that I met the stupidest deer in creation, he is bragging to his friends that he met the stupidest hunter in creation. Lesson learned - nest time I am also brining a tag and additional ammo!

barry1974w
10-26-2011, 06:53 PM
Congrads on getting a few birds. As for the salesman at the gun shop..... I'd take him with a grain of salt as well, half inch ten shot groups with a stock 10/22 would be pretty impressive. One hell of a lot better than than I can do anyway. As for your original question. Take the shotgun, you'll get more birds.

nor'wester
10-28-2011, 10:32 PM
I'm with millbay, the ones on the road are gimmes for the table...take your dog for a walk and see how good you REALLY are with a shotgun...it's funny how many people think hunting grouse over a dog is absurd because they're so stupid when they're standing on the side of a road...see how stupid they make you look when your dog flushes them down a hill through trees when you had no idea they were there;-)

hoochie
11-01-2011, 07:34 AM
12g. clean and quick

MaxQtime
11-01-2011, 10:50 PM
I was deer hunting after work one day, and all I had in the truck was my .303, sure enough on the side of the road I saw a grouse, not wanting to pass up another one(i missed my first one with a 12ga a few weeks earlier, yeah, I know) I decided to take the shot, hit it nice and clean. Even managed to miss the breast.

ItsGrouseTalk
11-06-2011, 08:18 PM
Knocks 'em down everytime. Get a nice clean neck/head shot

11-07-2011, 11:14 AM
Id go with the shot gun. As has been said, as you sneek down the road and see a Fork standing right there you might want to shoot it!

Well today I am kicking myself for not following your advice. On my last grouse hunt I got two birds (ruffed and spruce) and figured out how to cook them without making them tough (great) but I also saw a spike buck on the trail. I did not have a tag or ammunition for the deer - my wife is very disappointed that I did not come home with a deer (I love my wife). I had essentially perfect shots from about 25m while we stared at each other (at least a minute or more) and he sauntered off into the bush (I got the sarcasm in his walk loud and clear). I am bragging to my friends that I met the stupidest deer in creation, he is bragging to his friends that he met the stupidest hunter in creation. Lesson learned - nest time I am also brining a tag and additional ammo!

You werent listening were you?

Foxton Gundogs
11-07-2011, 01:21 PM

Bitter experiance is the best teacher, we've all found that out lol

11-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Yep,,,, I can think of many times i did similar things,,,, but i always got a pocket of slugs. :)

Morel
11-07-2011, 08:29 PM

Actually, I have been listening quite carefully and a lot of comments have gone into my little black hunting notebook.

At the beginning of the season I did not have the confidence to consider taking a deer, the knowledge or the equipment to deal with it in the field. Having been successful with grouse so far this year, I have a lot more confidence, knowledge and a much better idea of the area where I have been hunting. Having missed a great opportunity for a deer, I am now making sure I have the knowledge and ability to take a deer and get it out of the bush if the opportunity presents itself again.

wing shooter
11-08-2011, 09:33 AM
It all depends on if you want to shoot them on the wing or not. Many bird hunters feel that a grouse should never be shot out of a tree or off the ground. The " most sporting way " to take grouse is on the wing. A good pointing or flushing dog will add to this style of hunting and make it more of a system rather than a game of chance. The twelve gauge loaded with light loads and an open choke will not be to much gun as long as the birds are shot past twenty yds. Shooting a grouse as it flies away through thick cover is one of huntings greatest thrills.

Dan Hayes
09-23-2013, 09:12 PM
How can any one talk about shooting a sitting bird with any gun or rifle and claim it to be sporting. Game birds should be shot on the wing when flushed with an o/u or s by s a good shot can walk with a broken gun, hear or see the flush, get on the bird whilst closing the gun and mounting and take it with the first barrel. The second barrel is for shooting a brace ie a left and right
in the case of our grouse that often flush behind branches or fly behind branches the trick is keep swinging through the bird and fire. Almost always shot will find a path through and kill the bird

Kudu
09-23-2013, 09:22 PM
It all depends on if you want to shoot them on the wing or not. Many bird hunters feel that a grouse should never be shot out of a tree or off the ground. The " most sporting way " to take grouse is on the wing. A good pointing or flushing dog will add to this style of hunting and make it more of a system rather than a game of chance. The twelve gauge loaded with light loads and an open choke will not be to much gun as long as the birds are shot past twenty yds. Shooting a grouse as it flies away through thick cover is one of huntings greatest thrills.

What he said!

Sofa King
09-23-2013, 09:42 PM
How can any one talk about shooting a sitting bird with any gun or rifle and claim it to be sporting. Game birds should be shot on the wing when flushed with an o/u or s by s a good shot can walk with a broken gun, hear or see the flush, get on the bird whilst closing the gun and mounting and take it with the first barrel. The second barrel is for shooting a brace ie a left and right
in the case of our grouse that often flush behind branches or fly behind branches the trick is keep swinging through the bird and fire. Almost always shot will find a path through and kill the bird

that's a snooty attitude.
should we wait until a deer bolts before raising the gun on him?
some hunters are just out trying to get meat.

Sofa King
09-23-2013, 09:49 PM

Dutchie

I've been finding the rabbit and grouse really start coming out onto the roads as it starts getting dark.
but nice, smaller trails through the woods usually have grouse on them all day.

The Dawg
09-23-2013, 10:13 PM

Good first post!

Considering most kids first kills are grouse, should we make sure we kick them into the air first, so they get discouraged when they miss ?

After all, it would be "sporting" this way.

I have absolutely no issue with shooting a grouse on the road- Ill take the easiest shot every time.

35rem
09-26-2013, 10:10 PM
Even though you said your not considering the possibility of a deer at this time, what you will be doing to find grouse (walking the roads and such) is also a perfect way to find deer. So I would not be surprised if you came across a nice buck or two.

This is why I like to take my Valmet 412 along. 12Ga over a .308 barrel. See a grouse, use the 12 with #4, see a deer use the .308 with a 150gr GMX. If I really want to go birds only I swap the barrels for O/U barrels. It has taken a bunch of grouse, hare and deer.

Foxton Gundogs
09-27-2013, 08:30 AM
Meat hunting for camp a 22 will do just fine, but for the fun and sport of it a shotgun over a well trained dog is the ultimate experience when it comes to shooting grouse no doubt about it.

itsy bitsy xj
09-27-2013, 09:03 AM
Use the shotty and you know you'll be having bird for dinner

jeff341
02-24-2014, 11:48 AM
I am planning on taking out a savage 24......22 over 410

What size shot in the 410 is best for grouse?

BRvalley
02-24-2014, 02:06 PM

and the only sporting way to fish for trout, is to have one rise to a dry, anything else is utterly barbaric...

I have an 18 month old lab that is a work in progress to say the least, and the times he was worked perfectly, it was a true delight to wing shoot grouse he flushed....but I will just as happily ground shoot grouse with a rimfire, the 100 yd head shots with my 17hmr make me smile just as much as the wing shot birds

02-24-2014, 02:15 PM
Good first post!

Considering most kids first kills are grouse, should we make sure we kick them into the air first, so they get discouraged when they miss ?

After all, it would be "sporting" this way.

I have absolutely no issue with shooting a grouse on the road- Ill take the easiest shot every time.

well,,,
my first kill was a grouse shot on the wing with a 1912 pump 20ga that was put up by a Spaniel.... lol..... but that guy is pretty harsh lol.

Foxton Gundogs
02-28-2014, 06:29 PM

I AM A WING SHOOTER AND A DOG MAN, when I hunt upland I do it over dogs with a shotgun I love it there is nothing like seeing your dog go birdy and watching with anticipation as it flushes a hard flying bird. I also shoot birds for camp meat on the ground with a 22. But as far as the above quote all I can say is when you ride a "high horse" its a long way to the ground when you fall.

1/2 slam
03-06-2014, 11:27 AM
I AM A WING SHOOTER AND A DOG MAN, when I hunt upland I do it over dogs with a shotgun I love it there is nothing like seeing your dog go birdy and watching with anticipation as it flushes a hard flying bird. I also shoot birds for camp meat on the ground with a 22. But as far as the above quote all I can say is when you ride a "high horse" its a long way to the ground when you fall.

Very well put. I really hate the hollier that though purists

biggyun68
03-06-2014, 07:41 PM
I confess I am jerk! I have never wing shot a grouse or any other upland bird for that matter:
I have never had the pleasure:
Please forgive me

russm
03-06-2014, 08:23 PM
I must be a horrible person for only ever shooting them on the ground.

Elkiller
03-06-2014, 08:33 PM
I've killed lots of grouse and rabbits in the same bush. Your best bet to see grouse is right before dark, they seem to come to the roads to eat gravel before they roost. I like to drive real slow with my head lights out, that way you cover more ground alot faster and you have a better chance of seeing them. I've always used a 22 to hunt chickens, because if you see a rabbit or a coyote you might want to lay them down to.
'