PDA

View Full Version : grouse hunting with my son

gary mok
09-02-2006, 04:40 PM
Any good suggestion area for grouse hunting around lower mainland cause this will be the first time I go with my son who 's 7 years old,it's going to be lovely:lol: ,I think so.you can pm me the detail, thank you for your help.I am living in Vancouver,hope can reach the place in 2 hours,little guy less patient:sad: .

Steeleco
09-02-2006, 05:55 PM
You'll need a map, but if you go up the West side of Chealis lake then over the top of Mystery creek and finally back down the west side of Harrison it might just get you some luck. Lots of little side roads to walk or drive and lots of open areas to look for bigger game. Good luck, and take a camera, you don't want to miss those little smiles!!!

gary mok
09-02-2006, 10:51 PM
You'll need a map, but if you go up the West side of Chealis lake then over the top of Mystery creek and finally back down the west side of Harrison it might just get you some luck. Lots of little side roads to walk or drive and lots of open areas to look for bigger game. Good luck, and take a camera, you don't want to miss those little smiles!!!Thanks again!!! sounds like owe you one more time since last time you helped me to posted a pic:lol: ,I might call you out and buy you a drink!!! Gary

Steeleco
09-03-2006, 09:19 AM
Your welcome. Just get the little one hooked on hunting, we need more kids to take up the hobby!!!

longhairmtnman
09-03-2006, 09:35 AM
Sowaqua cr. Exit 192 from Coq. hwy. Go early, stay late. Dawn and dusk are the best time. good luck.

FlyingHigh
09-03-2006, 02:04 PM
how do you clean and prepare grouse for the cooking pot? i've never done it before and the area i'm hunting this fall is open for them, so i would like to try to get one or two. thanks.

Steeleco
09-03-2006, 02:22 PM
The way I do it is:

Place the bird on it's back, open the wings wide and then stand on them. Next, grab the legs and pull upwards towards yourself. Toss the goo in your hand in the bush, and pick clean the breasts on the remaining part.
Some people fillet the breast's while others stuff them and bake or roast, I fillet and pan fry them in camp, seldom do they come home, but I don't shoot that many!!
Make sure if your packing them home to leave at least one wing attached in case your stopped at a game check!!

gary mok
09-03-2006, 03:47 PM
Sowaqua cr. Exit 192 from Coq. hwy. Go early, stay late. Dawn and dusk are the best time. good luck.Thanks buddy:) .

Radar
09-03-2006, 08:32 PM
I'm with Steelco, I don't shoot that many, but I like to pan fry them in camp, also clean them the same way.