PDA

View Full Version : elk hunting in the kootenays

goleafs
08-09-2011, 05:32 PM
So I am a newby regarding elk hunting so I am going to try the bowhunt around Cranbrook. I also want to try to bag a whitetail. Any suggestions on where I should try to set camp and concentrate in a certain area?? Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. Good luck to everybody for this years hunt..

aggiehunter
08-09-2011, 06:04 PM
Go there...be prepared for hot....hot....hot...weather

hunter1947
08-10-2011, 01:47 AM
So I am a newby regarding elk hunting so I am going to try the bowhunt around Cranbrook. I also want to try to bag a whitetail. Any suggestions on where I should try to set camp and concentrate in a certain area?? Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. Good luck to everybody for this years hunt..

Just south of Cranbrook about 8k there is a logging road called the peavine road head on up there to the 9 or 10k mark turn left at this why there is fair elk and WT hunting up off this road you can see this road on a back roads map book from the EK there is good hunting anywhere up in the backend of the peavine ,good luck ,H-47..

Mikey Rafiki
08-10-2011, 07:58 AM
Get out there and do some scouting. There's tons of area around there to explore and it's hard to find a place without whitey's and elk. You might just stumble into a great spot that nobody else knows about, cause I'm sure people are taking notes from H-47 and there will be a few people camping up 10k Peavine!:-D

Anywhere around the bottom of Mt. Baker has some nice whiteys, and the Elk are around, maybe just a little higher.

Husky7mm
08-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Well being that Peavine is 5 mins from town, you dont have to camp there. Usually about 8-10 trucks up every branch road cause its so handy. Dont forget to bugle out your window and and enjoy the gongshow.:)

Bobfl
08-10-2011, 05:30 PM
Your new to elk hunting and you want to take one with a bow, any you never hunted elk before, am I reading this right. All I can say is YOUR OUT OF YOUR FLIPPIN TREE. Put the bow away and use a gun, If you have never hunted elk before you have alot to learn about these animals. You will never get one in close enough for a bow on a first trip knowing nothing about this animal
These animals are not only intimidating when they are grunting you down at 50 yrds, they are mad enough to run you over if you are in there way. I wish you luck if you try, your gonna need it

hunter1947
08-11-2011, 01:36 AM
There are areas unscaled with hunters if yo want to head 20k back into the peavine and put a little foot work on ,we took a few nice 6 point bulls out of this area but a way back into this area you just got to look and scout you will find they are there ,you will also find less logging trucks as you get back into this area further ..

budismyhorse
08-11-2011, 06:36 AM
People have to realize.... These are huge areas.... Pick one and get at it. They all have elk and whiteys.

hunter1947
08-11-2011, 07:54 AM
People have to realize.... These are huge areas.... Pick one and get at it. They all have elk and whiteys.

X2 agreed your so right..