PDA

View Full Version : Hunting in the States

BCHunterFSJ
08-09-2011, 04:15 PM
OK, I might have a chance to go pronghorn hunting in the States...

How difficult is it to bring a firearm into the US these days? What kind of paperwork / red tape is there?

How about bringing home the trophy and meat to Canada? Anybody done it??

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

yukon john
08-09-2011, 04:54 PM
going down myself, as far as the rifle goes its easier just to borrow one down there then deal with the hassle. Your outfitter ( if you are using one ) should be able to tell you everything you need to know. What state you headed to?

sheephunter17
08-09-2011, 06:24 PM
It's easy. Type in ATF in google then find the correct form and fill it out. I'm headed to WY next month for an antelope hunt and sent my paperwork in about 2 weeks ago

Blainer
08-09-2011, 06:49 PM
I'm also headed to Wyoming for pronghorn hunt in October.
Negotiated $50 for firearm from outfitter,but still exploring options for skull plate and cape.
Any info. would also be appreciated.

sed8ed
08-09-2011, 06:52 PM
I have done this twice... really easy if you jump through the hoops the way they ask.

First: Get your hunting license at least 2 months before you are going to go.
Second: Fill out this form http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5330-3d.pdf Make sure you type it out then print in duplicate, sign both copies and send them to the address on the instruction form along with a copy of your hunting license
Third: Wait... Expect to wait AT LEAST 6 weeks to get the authorization (my last one took 8 weeks and they faxed it)
Fourth: Good luck with the hunt (I want an antelope burger)

Red_Mist
08-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Any difficulty bringing home the meat?

sed8ed
08-09-2011, 07:06 PM
As for bringing meat across the border... If the state has proven cases of CWD then you must follow the instructions laid out in the BC hunting synopsis, this is a must otherwise they will confiscate it (they checked my game thoroughly) As for transport across the border, as long as you have the hunting license and tag that the animal was taken under and the animal has required proof of species and sex remaining intact then you are clear to cross. This site has a great write up : http://www.biggamehunt.net/articles/hunters-guide-crossing-canada-us-border

BCHunterFSJ
08-09-2011, 08:48 PM
Thanks for all the quick replies! I would be hunting in South Dakota - no outfitter - traveling with my truck camper...

Gunner
08-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Antelope are not affected by CWD,and do not carry it.I would advise that you fax your ATF forms directly to them and provide them with a fax number so they can send them back the same way.Be sure to include a copy of a valid hunting licence for the State in which you will hunt or your permit will be refused.It's not a lot of hassle but you need to cut yourself some lead time,their website says up to 8 weeks,but my permits have always come through faster than that.When you cross the border your rifles WILL be inspected by the USBS.Be absolutely sure to take your PAL AND registration certificates for your rifles,or you won't get them back in to Canada! Good Luck! Gunner

bighornbob
08-10-2011, 01:14 PM
I went down in 2002 and gat a permit from the ATF as described above. In regards to bringing meat back, the whole animal fit in a standard sized coleman cooler. It was not deboned (both hind quaters attached to the pelvis and about 6 inches of spine, one front shoulder all the neck meat, backstraps and tenderloins). Yes they are that small:):) No proof of sex or anything.

When I got to the border this was pretty much my discussion with the border guy.

Border Guard (BG): What were you doing in Montana?
Me: Hunting
BG: Get anything?
Me: Yes a antelope
BG: How many
Me: Just One
BG: is it in the back of the truck?
Me: yes
BG: Do you have rifle?
BG: yes
BG: Do you have all the required paperwork for the gun?
BG: Have a good night!

I later talked to a buddy that works the border and he said in todays day and age, as long as you have permit for something dead and you have some meat in the back they dont really care.

BHB

Gunner
08-10-2011, 01:19 PM
I went down in 2002 and gat a permit from the ATF as described above. In regards to bringing meat back, the whole animal fit in a standard sized coleman cooler. It was not deboned (both hind quaters attached to the pelvis and about 6 inches of spine, one front shoulder all the neck meat, backstraps and tenderloins). Yes they are that small:):) No proof of sex or anything.

When I got to the border this was pretty much my discussion with the border guy.

Border Guard (BG): What were you doing in Montana?
Me: Hunting
BG: Get anything?
Me: Yes a antelope
BG: How many
Me: Just One
BG: is it in the back of the truck?
BG: Do you have rifle?
BG: yes
BG: Do you have all the required paperwork for the gun?
BG: Have a good night!

I later talked to a buddy that works the border and he said in todays day and age, as long as you have permit for something dead and you have some meat in the back they dont really care.

BHBThere is an export permit you can pick up from the USBS on your way down that will cover your meat on the way home.It is a US Fish & Wildlife form but the US Border guys should have it.I downloaded one from the USF&W website before I went down. Gunner