PDA

View Full Version : Sturgeon Bait

steelheadSABO
08-09-2011, 01:33 PM
Finally got myself a proper sturgeon set-up 8 foot trophy xl sturgeon rod and a 89$ penn 320gt2 with some 80lb braided line. In previous sturgeon expeditions I have used eels with the best success but they are pretty pricey. So in your opinion what is the best bait for sturgeon fishing the upper fraser river. Chicken livers? Roe? Sardines? Also is it possible to buy Eulachon or do you fish for them? I will be fishing the upper fraser.

frenchbar
08-09-2011, 03:52 PM
bring lot's of roe!! and a couple six paks for the guide lol

sarg
08-09-2011, 04:10 PM
i got them on a ball of dew worms,leaved over fish, and roe,

doubled
08-09-2011, 04:42 PM
Fresh roe with the skeins removed seems to be pretty good. Leaseman (mike) has good success with oolies and has a line on a supplier.

NaStY
08-09-2011, 09:18 PM
Fresh bait will work best this time of year for the big ones. Spring roe and bellies will be the ticket. As soon as sockeye opens then that will work just as good if not better. Oolies wont do as well this time of year.

Stockmonkey
08-10-2011, 07:11 AM
Rob's Baits in Richmond has tons of roe, oolichans, lamprey, salmon gills, etc.... All kinds of sturgeon, salmon and trout baits.

Jetboater
08-10-2011, 07:21 AM
when you say upper do you mean past alexandria bridge or below it, as past you cant use finned fish, but roe and worms work well, below that the fish are feeding well on pike minnows, stink bait, and fresh roe and bellies.....

steelheadSABO
08-10-2011, 09:40 AM
yea I'm talking up in Lillooet

reach
08-10-2011, 10:18 AM
when you say upper do you mean past alexandria bridge or below it, as past you cant use finned fish, but roe and worms work well, below that the fish are feeding well on pike minnows, stink bait, and fresh roe and bellies.....
The tidal boundary is the train bridge at Mission, not the Alexandra bridge. The regs are strange... in non-tidal waters of region 2, for sturgeon only, you can use the head or the headless body of fin fish (or roe of course) but you can't use fin fish whole or cut up in any other way. So if you're using oolichans you have to cut off the head to be legal.

Anyway roe works great. Use whatever species are in the river at the time.

p.s. "upper Fraser" normally means McBride area... calling Lillooet "upper Fraser" screams "I'm from the Lower Mainland" :D

Edit: If the Alexandra bridge is the region 2-3 boundary then Jetboater is 100% right that no fin fish can be used above it except for roe.

srupp
08-10-2011, 02:43 PM
hmmm I dont think its the ditch eels that help Mike...he just doesnt wash his hands after peeing....

steven

steelheadSABO
08-10-2011, 03:37 PM
Well When I say upper fraser I mean upper from where i'm at at the time of me posting the comment. Which is in the lower mainland :)