PDA

View Full Version : Gps??

walnutz
08-09-2011, 08:59 AM
I thinks it time for me to buy a GPS and im just looking for some advice on what ones are good ect.... I would like something pretty basic to use but reliable.I dont need anything to fancy just something to get from A to B.Im new to the GPS world so would prefer something user friendly.Thanks for any help. Cheers

Steeleco
08-09-2011, 10:24 AM
Buy good buy once. I've had a Garmin 60Csx for some time now and believe they're discontinued? But they should be cheap if you can still find them and compared to the new units they're very basic. It's replacement is the 62Csx and go for around $300 Checkout gpscentral.ca

buck nash
08-09-2011, 10:39 AM
I had a magelin and it completely froze up on me. The status dial just kept going around and around but it would not load up. I pulled the batteries and replaced them. Same thing. Did some internet research and discovered that it is a common failing in magelin units. So I would stay away from them. I replaced it with a garmin legend HCx. It's a bit more expensive but has proven reliable. It's simple to use and interfaces well with your computer and has a slot for micro sd which allows you to install additional maps (ie. backroads map book). It''s been dropped a few times and has been exposed to some nasty weather conditions and still works like new. I've been using mine with the computer to build my own maps and map out game trails for the upcoming season. The only thing I don't like is that the screen could be a bit bigger. I think I paid about $250-$300 for 2 years ago.

Buck
08-09-2011, 11:09 AM
I second the Garmin 60csx i bought mine through Costco online for $199.00 shipped to my door.This unit works great.Fast startup and never looses the connection.I have the BC Backroad map in it as well super unit .

Barracuda
08-09-2011, 12:09 PM
my garmin etrex finally died after a dozen years of service good unit til it finally died. im surprised it lasted so long Would like another cheap basic one that way i can chuck it in the boat , mc etc

MichelD
08-09-2011, 12:30 PM
I cheaped out and bought a Magellan 200 on sale and it died. Go Garmin.

Mikey Rafiki
08-09-2011, 12:33 PM
Garmin. The 60csx or the new 62. The Oregon is a pretty nice unit, touchscreen and you can get aerial imagery. Touchscreen isn't as fun in the winter if you want to keep your gloves on.

I have the 60csx and it's plenty rugged and holds a signal well. Get the Topo Canada map rather than the BC Backroad if you can.

Iron Sighted
08-09-2011, 12:39 PM
I've got a 60CSX too, it is a great unit. It is rumored to get better reception than the newer Oregon units as well. The display and interface are not quite as nice as the Oregon, but still very usable/functional.

brian
08-09-2011, 12:47 PM
I use a Garmin 60c (discontinued) great little unit, takes a beating and keeps on going. Look for decent antennae in whatever you buy. You want to be able to get reception in nasty conditions. I loose my reception in heavy clouds with strong blustery winds.

bubba350
08-09-2011, 03:51 PM
Garmin garmin garmin!

sarg
08-09-2011, 04:08 PM
i have a garmin 60cx it being great so far, i just senn them on sale last week at landon drugs for $199 i think.

Gun Dog
08-10-2011, 09:47 PM
Something you can download maps into is the only way to go. Then you need maps (they're manufacturer specific). I have a Garmin (Legend & GPS 60Cx) and Garmin's TopoCanada. Friends have the Backroads digital maps which are very nice but version 2 has serious compatibility issues. Another thing to consider is receiver sensitivity. Some, like my GPS 60Cx will work in the house or deep in the forest. Others, like my Legend, need clear sky. Another another thing is batteries. You need good rechargeable batteries & charger and/or a 12V adaptor if you're using a vehicle. Another another another thing is a mount if it's going in a vehicle. RAM Mounts makes a wide variety of mounting solutions.

www.gpscentral.ca (http://www.gpscentral.ca) has the good prices.

J-F
08-10-2011, 10:27 PM
I got (or "my wife got me") a Garmin Etrex H, the basic one (what I wanted). I'm not into technichal stuff when I'm out in the bush, all I need is to get back to the truck ( all she wanted was me getting back to the truck, otherwise the life insurance won't kick in until a few years later if the body isn't found!).

In one simple word, I got what seemed the easiest and most reliable from web opinions, that I could find. And cheap to boot. And even cheaper this year, go see http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/gps/gps/etrex-h/prod250671.html

I like the low weight, the power on two AA batteries ( I carry two extra, just in case), the absence of gadjets that keep your eyes on the GPS instead than on your surroundings. It fits me.

JF