PDA

View Full Version : Hand held radios for Hunting or bush work..

Long bow
08-09-2011, 08:01 AM
Let me start by saying, I know this topic has been beaten to death,...well search dosent always get you the most up to date info..
so, as a year has past, and the new season is here, are there any good new radios out there..what seems to work? Does a CT radio that states 45 km radius, (but you may only get 5) work better than one that claims 18?
Are the same radios in the states more powerful than ours? What makes for a good field radio these days?
Thanks

Singleshotneeded
08-09-2011, 10:24 AM
If you don't need more than a few km. of range, get a GMRS radio in the States, they have 5 watts, ours are two or three!
If you want a good 10 km. of range, check places like Amazon and Cabelas online for a UHF marine radio on sale. If you go
down and get them, rub some dirt on them, install Canadian-labelled batteries from Circuit City into them, and put them in
your glove box under some work gloves. Mail the receipt and instruction manual to yourself from the US post office, in a
self-addressed envelope you bring down with you. Enjoy!

BigBanger
08-09-2011, 12:56 PM
That sounds like a great plan!

Salty
08-09-2011, 01:24 PM
I wouldn't advise a marine radio the coast guard gets a little worked up when they detect transmissions from land. Coordinates are given for every broadcast (in case its your last as your boat sinks). I've heard them give people hell for using the radios on land.

I bought a couple cheap Cobra radios for hunting purposes from crappy tire a few yrs back they work OK.

Slinky Pickle
08-09-2011, 02:13 PM
I picked up some Puxing PX-777 radios a while back. They put out 5W so to be legal you would need to get a radio license :wink: Mine came with an ear piece and mic (I think it's standard) that is VERY handy for when you're just sittin' an watchin' and don't want to make a bunch of noise.

You can easily get 5km out of them and I have had them reach out well over 15km if we had line of sight between the radios. As far as bang for your buck, they are pretty awesome.

You can order them in VHF or UHF.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=puxing+777&_sacat=0&_odkw=puxing&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Steeleco
08-10-2011, 09:08 AM
at what point do you need a licence?

Long bow
08-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Thanks for all the good info....those 777's from china look good, and ALL reviews, by people more experianced than I say good things about them..thanks again for some great info.
Long bow

crazy ducker
08-10-2011, 11:24 AM
are they programmable

Slinky Pickle
08-10-2011, 12:34 PM
Yes, they are programmable and you can order the programming cord to go with them. As far as I know, any radio over 3 watts requires a license. Someone please correct me on that if I'm wrong.

gizmo_85
08-10-2011, 12:52 PM
I have a HAM lic, You need a license depending on the band you are transmitting in. GMRS/FRS are cover in Canada by there frequency range same as with the OLD cb radio. You are limited by how much power can transmit. 4 watt for CB.. and 2 watts for gmrs/frs. ..
IF you have a marine license that only cover you for VHF marine same as a HAM only cover you for the Amateur band, not both.. its a pain.. but if want to be follow the law..

luckofthedraw
08-10-2011, 02:44 PM
Here's my previous thread and I still stand by these for the $ spent.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?63325-radio-s-thought-I-d-pass-on-this-find.&highlight=radio

Tuffcity
08-10-2011, 09:25 PM
Coordinates are given for every broadcast (in case its your last as your boat sinks).

That works if your radio is DSC (Digital Selective Calling) and is connected to a GPS.

With the amount of inane chatter on marine VHF's there is no way the CCG could/would/want to keep track of a position for every radio transmission even if it did broadcast positions (other than distress calls).

4pointer
08-10-2011, 09:32 PM
VHF handhelds are ok. Maximum is 7watts before you need a license. There is many channels. Stay off 9 and 16 and you'll be ok. For in car, get a 25 watt VHF(need a license). For every watt, its 1mile range. 7 watts means 7miles but I've used them further than that. For the guys who know the area(region 7), not sure the mileage but a far drive, my hunting groups, one at Moberly Lake was able to reach the other group at Hasler Valley with handhelds. Also, I was at the top of Dear Mt(8-5) and i was able to reach my brother at the top of Lawless FSR(big attenna hill).