PDA

View Full Version : Broadheads for my wife.

bcbrez
08-09-2011, 07:04 AM
My wife shoots a PSE Chaos @ 50lbs with a 24" draw. I'm not sure what speeds she is getting. What broadheads are others finding work well with this kind of set up. Right now she is using Magnus Buzzcuts for deer. She hasn't got one yet but they seem to fly ok at the range.

Jetboater
08-09-2011, 07:17 AM
my wife has the same set up and is shooting 85gr slick tricks......or G5s both shoot really well....

bcbrez
08-09-2011, 07:21 AM
Yeah I'm shooting slick tricks but I wasn't sure how much penetration they would get from a slower bow.

knockturnal
08-09-2011, 07:40 AM
I'd recommend a cut on contact whatever it is that you go with. My fiancé shoots 85gr montecs

Ruger4
08-09-2011, 07:44 AM
Montec 100 grainers wifes Vendetta XS this year

bcbrez
08-09-2011, 08:51 AM
Thanks guys, I was leaning towards the cut-on-contact for sure.

Bowzone_Mikey
08-09-2011, 09:59 AM
prolly 85 gr ... fixed .. would be ideal ... muzzy MX3 or some Ultimate steels ... would be my my choice ... of course alot of testing would be involved as to what weight flys the best out of that setup

Bow Walker
08-09-2011, 10:28 AM
Given the probable short length of her arrows, I'd go with a b'head that was 85 grains for sure. 2" Blazers will certainly be enough to guide the shaft and will further reduce weight, thus upping speed.

Be careful about the spine of her arrows as well. It would be easy to get into a shaft that was too weak or too stiff, further affecting arrow flight adversely.

I'd suspect a 500 spine would be optimal for her setup.

Bow Walker
08-09-2011, 10:28 AM
Why do I always seem to be "following" BZM on these threads? I gotta get up earlier in the mornin.........

BCsniper
08-10-2011, 10:47 AM
Mine is shooting the 85 grain slick tricks.

Bow Walker
08-10-2011, 11:54 AM
I use Slick Tricks as well. Using a lower poundage bow, it might be a good idea to go with a broadhead that has less of a "cutting resistance" to it.

Slick Tricks have four blades, and as such those blades can increase the friction of the cutting surface - especially if the blades are not as sharp as they could be.

Other heads have three blades (Muzzys and such) which will reduce the cutting area friction somewhat. Two-bladed heads - not expandables - further reduce the friction and increase the penetration factor slightly, which all goes towards a quicker kill.

Expandable heads are generally not recommended for lower poundage bows because it takes a certain amount of energy to both open the heads, and to penetrate the hair, hide, and possibly a bone (or two) to get at the vitals of the animal.

Give yourself all the advantage(s) possible and go with the deadliest broadhead that you can find. Keep them really, really sharp.

Rectifier
08-10-2011, 09:19 PM
A similar question here, my wife just turned her Diamond Edge up to its 40lbs max and has decided she wants to take a deer with it this fall on our elk trip. Of course I'm super stoked, so I handed her one of my Muzzy 100gr 4 blades and said try it out.

They hit perfectly like my field points (X-force @ 50lbs, X-weave 200 arrows), they hit perfectly like Mike's field points (Omen 65lbs, X-weave 300 arrows), but when she shoots them (Edge 40lbs, Beman Hunter Jr. arrows) they hit so low they miss my block at 20 meters. Over a foot low. Yes, she is shooting 100gr field points.

She is shooting 2" groups with field points so it's not her fault, why so low? Only thing I can think is the Beman's are spined too low, but they fly great with the field points, and spine reaction is supposed to kick them to the side, right?

Slugman
08-11-2011, 05:42 AM
With super short arrows, the nice advantage is being able to really bump up the weight on the front(FOC!) making the arrow as efficient as possiable for penetrating the animal. Shorter the arrow the stiffer it spines out! As far as effiecient broadheads go look for COC heads that have the classic long taper, like Magnus Snuffers or NAP Hell Razors. The simple mechanical advantage of these 'wedge' designs will ensure the most effecient use of the energy her bow and set-up are putting out! Built some Studs for Jason Petersons wife with a very similar specs - short arrow, 500grn and 125grn up front and they flew like a dream and always got it done!

Slugman
08-11-2011, 05:44 AM
I believe the FOC on those arrows was very healthy around 18% I believe - huge advantage for accuracy as well as penetration!

The Dude
08-11-2011, 06:17 AM
Broadheads for your wife? Has it really come to that?
I suggest counselling first. :D

Been out of bowhunting for a bit, so I can't improve on the good advice already here. :-)

Bow Walker
08-11-2011, 09:08 AM
A similar question here, my wife just turned her Diamond Edge up to its 40lbs max and has decided she wants to take a deer with it this fall on our elk trip. Of course I'm super stoked, so I handed her one of my Muzzy 100gr 4 blades and said try it out.

They hit perfectly like my field points (X-force @ 50lbs, X-weave 200 arrows), they hit perfectly like Mike's field points (Omen 65lbs, X-weave 300 arrows), but when she shoots them (Edge 40lbs, Beman Hunter Jr. arrows) they hit so low they miss my block at 20 meters. Over a foot low. Yes, she is shooting 100gr field points.

She is shooting 2" groups with field points so it's not her fault, why so low? Only thing I can think is the Beman's are spined too low, but they fly great with the field points, and spine reaction is supposed to kick them to the side, right?
First off, I'd get the bow tuned perfectly - center shot, nocking point on the string, tiller measurements, peep height, etc. T

Then start looking at shooting form for the two different points - is she dropping her bow hand prematurely to see where the b'heads are going? Make sure that she's shooting consistently with each type of arrow.

Silly question, but was she using the correct pin for the distance? Simple mistake to make....

Rectifier
08-11-2011, 06:07 PM
Yeah, perhaps the bow is out of tune, I did some reading and found nock point can change how broadheads hit up and down vs. field points. I'll have to take it in and have it tuned, I also need her arrow rest adjusted to shoot Blazers since they contact the rest (too tall) though that's not an issue for this test.

Otherwise her form should be the same, she can shoot 2 FP's in the bull, then the broadhead 1' low, then 1 more FP, back in the bull. Using 20m pin which is her top pin. I don't see why she would pull the shot on a broadhead more than a field point, so it must be a mechanical issue.

Mountain Man
08-11-2011, 06:45 PM
Couple confirmations for you,

I agree with the guys, cut on impact, 85 grain, slick trick or montec.

A few local women shoot the razor edge's at 40lbs. I agree with "bw" have the bow serviced just to start. The reason I say this is broadheads can be finicky if the bow is out of tune it will contribute, but you may not notice it as much with fp. I do see a lot of bows every week especially right now and im always amazed that people dont realize there bow is way out of tune.

Take your razor and do the following,
Center shot on that bow is usually straight or right angle. Typically straight behind the string, If its being shot with a d loop and fall away rest. If its being shot of the string with a whisker biscuit than thing's are different. So need to know some other things first.
Turn the bow all the way to peak and see if you even get peak.This is a test, even though she dont shoot at peak it will give one indication of string stretch.
Messure the brace height is it in spec ?
Messure the axle to axle is it in spec ? This can be a bit off as this bow has so much adjustment that its tough to have the planets align at every single draw length.
See if she has any cam lean ?
Check the timing marks and see if both top and bottom cam are syncronized just before she reaches full draw is one cam firing before the other.

There are aprox 10 things on a check list that should be looked at to see how far out of tune the bow may be.

I kinda hate to say it but due to a womens typical set up sometimes a mechanical broadhead will produce the best results as far as accuracy. The only risk you take there is proper deployment or mechanical failure. I have seen well tuned bows that dont shoot a fixed bladed broadhead all that well but will shoot lights out with a mechanical. Just an option, I prefer fix blade. And definatley reduce the drag from what you gave her with a 3blade not 4 blade 75 or 85 grain broadhead not 100 if you can help it.And yes these little factors can make all the difference in the world.

Riverbc
08-11-2011, 08:00 PM
nothing wrong with the Magnus Buzzcuts she's already shooting...Especially if they are the 4 blade. Cut on contact 4 blade head. Kind of like a two blade with 2 smaller bleeder blades. The op stated they fly well from her bow. They are a good quality blade. They have a warranty second to none.
"LIFETIME REPLACEMENT GUARANTEE
Our Magnus Lifetime Replacement Guarantee is very simple. If at any time you break, bend or have a concern with any Magnus Broadhead, send it to us and we replace it.

As a example: When you shoot thru a animal and the broadhead hits a rock on the ground and is damaged, send it in and we replace it. ITS THAT SIMPLE"

Bow Walker
08-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Yeah, perhaps the bow is out of tune, I did some reading and found nock point can change how broadheads hit up and down vs. field points. I'll have to take it in and have it tuned, I also need her arrow rest adjusted to shoot Blazers since they contact the rest (too tall) though that's not an issue for this test.

Otherwise her form should be the same, she can shoot 2 FP's in the bull, then the broadhead 1' low, then 1 more FP, back in the bull. Using 20m pin which is her top pin. I don't see why she would pull the shot on a broadhead more than a field point, so it must be a mechanical issue.

If you take the bow in for a tuning session - take the wife in as well. A bow has got to be "tuned" to the shooter to be as effective as possible.

Boorman's will certainly tune the bow - but with your wife there, she can do some test shooting (fp's only) and they can then adjust the bow to her as well as tune up her shooting form. Or, at least they should be offering that sort of service.

Bow Walker
08-12-2011, 09:40 AM
ALSO - when (or if) using Slick Tricks - they can be a bit finicky to tune to the arrow shaft simply because they come with a washer that goes between the ferrule and the arrow insert. Sometimes that washer can induce a wobble when you spin-test the arrow because it can be a bit off center.

This is corrected by loosening the broadhead and adjusting the washer and then re-tightening the head on the arrow. Spin-testing arrows with broadheads is the only way to positively be sure that they are 'married' to the shaft.

I've often wondered if a small rubber washer would be better than the metal one. I'm going to do some experimenting to find out.

Stringy
08-12-2011, 06:58 PM
BC Brez, your wife is already shooting the best broadhead she possibly can already, don't change a thing. The Magnus stinger 100 gr is a super good broadhead penetrates with very little effort and has enough front of center to fly great. I know this to be true because my daughter and i have used these for years with great results, the proof is in the freezer year after year. Why change a good thing?

xtremearchery
08-15-2011, 12:07 PM
Couple confirmations for you,

I agree with the guys, cut on impact, 85 grain, slick trick or montec.

A few local women shoot the razor edge's at 40lbs. I agree with "bw" have the bow serviced just to start. The reason I say this is broadheads can be finicky if the bow is out of tune it will contribute, but you may not notice it as much with fp. I do see a lot of bows every week especially right now and im always amazed that people dont realize there bow is way out of tune.

Take your razor and do the following,
Center shot on that bow is usually straight or right angle. Typically straight behind the string, If its being shot with a d loop and fall away rest. If its being shot of the string with a whisker biscuit than thing's are different. So need to know some other things first.
Turn the bow all the way to peak and see if you even get peak.This is a test, even though she dont shoot at peak it will give one indication of string stretch.
Messure the brace height is it in spec ?
Messure the axle to axle is it in spec ? This can be a bit off as this bow has so much adjustment that its tough to have the planets align at every single draw length.
See if she has any cam lean ?
Check the timing marks and see if both top and bottom cam are syncronized just before she reaches full draw is one cam firing before the other.

There are aprox 10 things on a check list that should be looked at to see how far out of tune the bow may be.

I kinda hate to say it but due to a womens typical set up sometimes a mechanical broadhead will produce the best results as far as accuracy. The only risk you take there is proper deployment or mechanical failure. I have seen well tuned bows that dont shoot a fixed bladed broadhead all that well but will shoot lights out with a mechanical. Just an option, I prefer fix blade. And definatley reduce the drag from what you gave her with a 3blade not 4 blade 75 or 85 grain broadhead not 100 if you can help it.And yes these little factors can make all the difference in the world.

I agree 100%.

warnniklz
08-15-2011, 01:31 PM
1 should take her out

taylor1
08-22-2011, 10:08 AM
id go with cut on contact broadheads. not expandables or bone breakers, the cut on conatact will slice the arrow through which will help on penetration. broadheads i would think of areo ones like g5 montecs or nap hellrazers. those wuld be my first few options and they are supposed to fly like field tips so that helps with shighting in and shooting consistent wiith em.

willyqbc
08-22-2011, 11:20 AM
I would agree with those who have stated her current Magnus broadhead is going to give about as good penetration as possible. When choosing a broadhead for my son (45#, 25" draw), penetration was my primary concern and the long, tapered, cut on contact magnus 2 blade gives him what I believe is the best penetrating properties in a broadhead. He shot a doe in the shoulder blade last year with an 85 grain montec and it got enough penetration to kill her......but just barely. I believe every extra blade is gonna impede penetratin on a bone hit....thus the switch to the 2 blade Magnus.

Just my opinion
Chris

Bow Walker
08-22-2011, 11:24 AM
another thought Chris...

If a 2-blade like the Magnus does hit a bone it is likely to "skip" off that bone and continue to penetrate. Ribs, on a deer, are fragile enough that hitting one of them will not impede penetration as the arrow will most likely just break the rib or push it out of the way as it continues into the animal.