PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Line

Shooter Jr.
08-08-2011, 11:03 PM
Recently i have been fishing the campbell quite a but and have talked to a few guys and they all swear by the Maxima Ultragreen fishing line for everything, they have yet to tell me why and it makes me wonder, is it really any better than others?
what kind of fishing line do you use and why? And is the Ultragreen really that good?

3kills
08-08-2011, 11:10 PM
maixma ultragreen! and i use it cuz the guy that i get fishin advice from sold it to me when i asked him for spider wire and i value his advice as he is a dam good friend and fisherman. however i havent got a fish this year LOL

Whonnock Boy
08-08-2011, 11:17 PM
Maxima is the best. I use no other. 10lb test is more like 15 for all the others. In a bind I tried some Berkley 8lb fishing Steelhead a couple years ago. First fish I hooked broke off. Honestly, that was the one and only Steelhead I have lost to that reason. The only times I have problems is with user error in other applications. Test it yourself. Buy some 6lb Maxima along with various other brands of the same test. Wrap it around your hands and try to break each one. You will see the difference. Don't learn from your own mistakes, learn from others.

Shooter Jr.
08-08-2011, 11:21 PM
Might reconsider the cheaper stuff and buy some Ultragreen.

steelheadSABO
08-08-2011, 11:36 PM
15lb Maxima ultragreen is all I have ever used but last year I ran some 12lb trilene big game i think it's called and caught two steelhead in two days and it seemed plenty strong.

Whonnock Boy
08-08-2011, 11:43 PM
15lb Maxima ultragreen is all I have ever used but last year I ran some 12lb trilene big game i think it's called and caught two steelhead in two days and it seemed plenty strong.

It's 12lb! Off course it should be plenty strong. Switch that over to 8lb Maxima and you might have landed 4 Steelhead, hooking a couple leader shy fish. :-D

300wsmBrowning
08-08-2011, 11:50 PM
I hate maxima, seems to tangle easier, Pline flouroclear is all I use now. Super strong, better knots, more abrasion resistant, and harder to see in the water! Try it out...you won't go back.

coach
08-08-2011, 11:51 PM
Maxima Ultragreen all the way! It's all I ever use for leaders on the Fraser. 25 pound test. Superior strength and abrasion resistance to anything else I've tried. If the line lets me down, it's my own fault for not checking it for cuts or nicks.

Johnnybear
08-08-2011, 11:57 PM
Ultra green out on the banks of WCVI too! Good stuff. All my guide buddies run it as well.

Can't go wrong with it Shooter Jr.

Shooter Jr.
08-08-2011, 11:57 PM
i've heard the new flourocarbon is crap, any comments on the flourocarbon line?

coach
08-09-2011, 12:04 AM
I've used Barkley vanish on my trout and kokanee rods. Works fine and I catch good numbers of fish with it. But it sure doesn't have the strength of ultragreen. I'm not sure I would trust it on a fish of a lifetime. I'm sure there are better fluorocarbons out there. I guess it all depends on where you are fishing and what you are fishing for.

recoil
08-09-2011, 12:55 AM
I use ultragreen also, not only good breaking strength but casts well and doest have the "memory" of cheaper brands, bonus is it has low visivility and very good abrasion resistance. The first thing i do when i buy a new reel that already has line on it is take it off and put ultragreen on.

longstonec
08-09-2011, 04:51 AM
We use Big Game here for salmon. I prefer it over Maxima. Its not as stiff and lays on the reel better and can get it in clear or white. Used maxima as well and both are top notch lines as far as mono goes. Its really a matter of preference. I will have between 10-36 reels out there at one time and cant think of a time when the line has failed without having a good reason. damaged mainline or the usual place..knots. wet your knots before pulling tight!

steelheadSABO
08-09-2011, 02:17 PM
@Whonnock Boy The 12lb is my mainline and I use 6lb ultragreen for my leader. My dad landed a 19lb wild steelhead on 6lb ultragreen leader and 15 lb ultragreen mainline if that says anything about it's strenth

noahs ark
08-09-2011, 02:22 PM
Yup that maxima ultragreen in some versatile stuff.

08-09-2011, 02:33 PM
Fluro carbon for tippett line only. I hated it on my sinning rod.
Ultra green, Trilene xt, Berkley big game, to me they are pretty much the same.
Trilene seemed to stay on a spinning reel better then Maxima. The maxima wanted to unwind itself off the spool.
But i only use Maxima Ultra on my Level wind and on the Shimano 2000 for Offshore. It is tougher.
Flurocarbon is way too much money for me.

Again, as in all fishing it is very "What your doin' with it" Relavent

Buck Skin
08-09-2011, 05:37 PM
Maxima ultragreen! Great stuff very strong.

Sitkaspruce
08-09-2011, 09:06 PM
Berkely Big game is limper and the same toughness as UG. I run both and I am slowly changing over to BG, mainly because it is a lot cheaper and last as long, if not longer.....plus you can get it cool solar green and bright blue, which makes it easier to pick up against the water backdrop.

Just my opinion.

Cheers

SS

pescado
08-09-2011, 09:29 PM
For my leaders I run Maxima Ultragreen. For main line I normally run Ultragreen but have used Berkley Big Game. When I mooched alot, as the fishing slowed, I would occasionally switch to Diawa Crystal Clear but you have to bump it up a bit as it's soft but works well. It's hard to beat Maxima Ultragreen in the Salt Chuck as a consistent durable go to line.

Fisher-Dude
08-09-2011, 10:12 PM
Maxima Ultragreen. The Best by Test!

I have some 8 lb Maxima Chameleon on my old spinning reel that I got for Xmas in my teens - 30+ years later, and that shit will cut your fingers if you try to snap it!

One of my ice fishin' buddies insists on Berkley, and he's breaking off constantly on 2 - 3 lb fish with 10 lb test line. Junk! He always asks me why I catch more fish than he does using the same lure 10 feet away from him. One word: Ultragreen.

Krico
08-09-2011, 10:23 PM
Ultragreen all the way baby! Have used nothing else for 15 years plus. Great abrasion resistance and line stretch. If you tie your knots right, play fish properly, and remove any line with nicks/fraying (don't get lazy, it will cost you fish!) the line will do a great job for you. I use it icefishing, in the rivers and the ocean. Didn't like the Berkley Big Game in the past, but with some glowing reviews here I might try some next time I need a reel spooled up.

shoot to kill
08-09-2011, 10:33 PM

20lb main and 12-15lb leader.....they arent that leader shy......

Shooter Jr.
08-09-2011, 10:41 PM
wow, going to have to go pick up some Ultragreen.

Shooter
08-09-2011, 10:43 PM
I think I have some :wink:

5 spike
08-10-2011, 04:52 AM
fishing report please jr. when i was by the other day you said you were heading to the river. lets hear all about it. oh ya ultragreen the best.

Ride Red
08-10-2011, 06:25 AM
Ultragreen all the way baby! Have used nothing else for 15 years plus. Great abrasion resistance and line stretch. If you tie your knots right, play fish properly, and remove any line with nicks/fraying (don't get lazy, it will cost you fish!) the line will do a great job for you. I use it icefishing, in the rivers and the ocean. Didn't like the Berkley Big Game in the past, but with some glowing reviews here I might try some next time I need a reel spooled up.

Exactly right. As with any line, look after it and it will look after you. That being said, I've been using Maxima since the 80's without any issues for everthing from trout through to sturgeon. But, I run braided for my main line on my sturgeon reels. Recently though I've been trying Power Pro braided for my baitcasters. I'm using the 50lb which gives you a 12lb diameter and am impressed so far on the castability of this line. You can drift fish or bottom bouce, then switch to spoons and chuck them a really good distance. The line comes off your reel straight with little to no resistance. (ceramic guides are preferred ) We were in the states earlier this year and I bought 1500 yards for $119.00. A 300 yard spool here ranges between $35 & $43. Only time will tell if it stands up.

Fishhound
08-10-2011, 08:14 PM
TUFF line with Seagaur Flarocarbon for leader only way to go

Deer Sausage
08-10-2011, 08:36 PM
Maxima ultragreen is great. I used it as a salmon guide in the charlottes and i use it now for trout. Great consistency, smooth surface, durable, fairly supple with little memory. Really wonderful mono. In flyfishing there is a craze for fluoro tippets. I find you really have to moisten fluoro or it will "burn" the knot as you tighten and it can really get weak! Moisten and test the knots, if it passes its good stuff. smaller and index of refraction is closer to that of water so less edge contrast in water. I tried a few fluoro's until I found one I like....maxima fluoro! Tip of the week....i use a 4lb tippet for chironomids and use a fair bit of tippet. I bought the "one shot" size spool instead of the leader material size...its considerably less $ per length for that size spool. Good luck.

hillclimber
08-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Only use Ultragreen. Never used anything else and probably won't.

kitnayakwa77
08-11-2011, 01:38 PM
Used Berkely once, and only once, breaking off on fish. It seemed really brittle, where the Ultragreen has more stretch. It's great stuff all most people use up here is ultragreen. I've heard the flurorcarbon is not very good, but haven't tested it myself.

300wsmBrowning
08-25-2011, 11:27 PM
Try PLine Fluoroclear!!....seriously, it's really strong and has the low vis of regular fluorocarbon. It is a copolymer line with a fluorocarbon coating so you get the knot strength of a normal mono plus the benefits of fluorocarbon. I use it on my spinning and bait casting reels and never have any problems and I fish every month of the year, it cost a bit more then maxima but I think its worth every penny.......don't knock it till ya try it.