PDA

View Full Version : Asking for help RE: Bison hunt

moosinaround
08-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Hey guys, Moosinaround here. I am humbly asking for some help for the late Nov, early Dec bison hunt in 7-57 zone B. I don't usually ask for much help when it comes to folks hunting spots, but I am having a bit of trouble finding the quality of maps I would be happy to head off on an adventure with.

Google is ok, but the resolution is poor. Since this area has been wet this season, I was just looking for a really good map that shows an accurate road system on it, so I can see what the topography looks like and put together some plans and back up plans.

Any help would be appreciated, and could be sent by PM, or you could send me your number and I will call you on my dime, oops quarter;)!!

Thanks a bunch, the moose hunter turned Tatonka hunter, Moosin

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
08-08-2011, 08:17 PM
hey moosinaround machelaney in fort st john has good maps foe 50 bucks with all the boundries sorry cant spell to manny luckys...lol

orion
08-08-2011, 08:30 PM
McElhanney Geometrics of Fort St. John (250 787 0356) have published an excellent map called "Redfern Lake & Sikanni River Trails" that I found invaluable especially with some additional help by those that have been there before. The package you get from MOE is almost useless but does a good job explaining the rules of the roads as there are many road closure rules that apply in this area.

When is your hunt (a VERY important part of the planning)? Are you going to stay with Mike & Dixie at the ranch lodge or are you going to camp at the airport or???

PM me if you have any other ques.

This was a great hunting experience for me and I would encourage anyone with the draw to take advantage of it.

Bear Chaser
08-08-2011, 08:32 PM
hey moosinaround machelaney in fort st john has good maps foe 50 bucks with all the boundries sorry cant spell to manny luckys...lol

Oops forgot to mention that in PM.

McElhanney
Tel (250)787-0356

Caveman
08-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Mike, I have two maps that another guys was asking for from work. Quite nice! I'm having them scanned, I'll run an extra set off. Postage tube is all it would cost you. Shows A & B It's a McElhanny Marion Lake & Robb Lake 1 - 75000 approx 3' x 4' the second I had laminated It's a McElhanny Unit 7-57 30" x 20" 1 - 150,000. Either that if you can wait, I'll be coming through your way in Sept on route to Chetwynd or I'll be in 7-07 in Oct for a moose draw. You could pop by for a beer

moosinaround
08-09-2011, 07:19 AM
Thanks guys, I am going to make some phone calls on my next days off and see if I can wrassle up some maps. I will also be searching some of the excellent posts on this Freakin awesome hunting forum!! Moosinaround -soon to be tatonkinaround!!

moosinaround
10-08-2011, 09:58 PM
So, I am developing the A-Frames, the wall tent stove is built, and wall tent will be set up this week to check out any issues. Still open to any suggestions you experienced bison hunters could share. I will be up there from the 21-28 November. Thanks again guys, Moosin

Fraink
10-09-2011, 03:37 AM
Take a good skimmer to pull behind the sled, Cosco was selling a real tuf one last year for about $140. I was there in 96 with a buddy, he got his about 10k past the ranch wich is about 44k? from the highway ( might be 171 rd). We stayed at the bucking horse lodge, it was -35 when we were there with only about 14" of snow. Get the hide off quick. His was a brute, 17" around the base of the horn, we couldn't even roll him over, we had to take him apart to move him. Excellent hunting experience, you will want to go back.

anethema
10-09-2011, 10:27 AM
Ya not as useful as a dedicated hunting map but the online bc mapping thing is really great.

http://webmaps.gov.bc.ca/imf5/imf.jsp?session=2328388781841445970

There is pink mountain and the area around it with all roads and trails big and small.

If you hit the print button you can select your paper size and it will create a map with a nice legend, title, etc.

you can enable, disable contours, rivers, roads, whatever you want. Love that tool.

Wrayzer
10-09-2011, 10:32 AM
Guys all have good suggestions for maps, and if your relying on google maps, try Bing.com maps, it will all be black and white for the area up there but the resolution is a lot better.

anethema
10-09-2011, 10:52 AM
Ya online cadastre there in my link has orthophotos too. Click layers on top, and the layer selector will appear on the right. At the bottom is the base layers. Open that folder up and click orthophotos.

moose2
10-09-2011, 03:18 PM
We stayed at Sikanni river outfitters it cut way down on our gear and gas. It was room board and 3 good meals $100 per person per day and you wake up in the hunting grounds. I would not do a winter bison hunt any different. They were also helpful with directions of the area. We booked 3 days and stayed 2 , left successful ( 2001 )
Mike

10-09-2011, 03:22 PM
I dont know crap about where your goin' But good luck Moosin' Hope you whack a gooder.

moosinaround
10-18-2011, 08:10 PM
Buying my tags tomorrow! Dam I hope they send me a lucky tag!;) Moosin