PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day 3x2!!!

cowboy-up69
09-02-2006, 02:02 PM
Welll, yesterday was opening day for youth season so I decided to take out a couple buddies that are legal to hunt in the youth season. We get up almost to where we wanted to go at about 5:15 am, just pulling the truck over and the radiator blew up!!!! So that kinda blew all our plans away for that morning. Then we decided to go back out at 6pm for an eveing hunt. Well we go up to where we wanna be, and my buddy tells me to drop him off at the bottom of this huge cut block, and we drive up to the top on the road along the cut block. So we did that, and we met at the top jus at dark. He comes over and says "I got him!, I got him!" Me and Rob thought he was bullsh*tin, and then he showed us the blood on his boots. So we gathereed all our knives and stuff, and walk out in the block to get him. Brett was soo excited he didnt know where he was! We finally found him, probly about 800-900 yards from the road, in crappy walking terrain. So gutted him the best we could with no flashlights or anything, and then started dragging him back to my truck. It took us about 2-3 to get him back to the truck, we were alll beat after that!!!! Loaded him up and took him to his grampas and hung him, and skinned him and finsihed cleaning him up. I couldnt get any pics in the field, but I got 2 of Brett skinning him, and a few more on my cell phone that I'll get up later on tonight! It was a great night, my buddy kinda regrets getting his deer on his first day of the season, but thats all huntin, gives him more time to concentrate on elk and moose huntin now!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/cmare8/IM001951.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/cmare8/IM001950.jpg

Caveman
09-02-2006, 02:10 PM
Great job guys, looks like a whole lot of good eating and good times with a couple good friends to me.

Schmaus
09-02-2006, 03:46 PM
Wicked, good to hear.

kishman
09-02-2006, 03:56 PM
Nice job fella.

Will
09-02-2006, 04:21 PM
Congrats to your Buddy !
Love to see the Bucks hitting the ground already:smile:

huntwriter
09-02-2006, 04:38 PM
Nice job and nice little buck. Good on you to take out young hunters and intoduce them to hunting.

CanAm500
09-02-2006, 05:20 PM
Good job. Glad to see someone take a deer during the youth season.

Jelvis
09-02-2006, 05:59 PM
Nice size whitetail, probably the best meat for whitetails at that size and antlers good but how can you preserve the antlers, how close to shedding were the velvet?

elkster
09-02-2006, 07:22 PM
way to be! nice whitey! its sure good to see someone bloody.:lol:

Caveman
09-02-2006, 07:38 PM
When I went to Whitehorse to hunt ,my buddy up there carries a vile and needle of fermeldihide (spelling ?), to inject into the Velvet. He has a awesome Caribou in full velvet mounted on his wall, chocolate brown velvet. Very Cool
how can you preserve the antlers by Jelvis

Bigbuckadams
09-02-2006, 07:50 PM
Congrats!! Good job guys.....Have to wait 'til the 12th to get out myself:frown: .

bayou
09-02-2006, 08:48 PM
In a previous thread about the youth season it was said that a youth must be directly supervised by some one with a valid license and tag that is 19 or over so if im reading this story correctly this was not done.
Im just wondering if Im reading this wrong

30-06
09-02-2006, 09:12 PM
i think it was legal cmare is 19 and licensed..nice deer bdore

cowboy-up69
09-02-2006, 10:03 PM
Nice size whitetail, probably the best meat for whitetails at that size and antlers good but how can you preserve the antlers, how close to shedding were the velvet?

it aint a whitetail, its a muley, looks like a hwitey though! And It was legal cause Im 19, allowed to hunt on my own. And thanks guys! I'll get the other pics up soon!

PGKris
09-02-2006, 11:56 PM
WhooHoo! Nice buck!!! Hopefully I can pull off something similar tomorrow!! Sweet way to start off the season!
Kris

bayou
09-03-2006, 11:32 AM
Ya Im not trying to stir things up just trying to sort out the regs.Im guessing now this was a bow kill for what I can find youth seasons are restricted to hunters under the age of 19 so since you say your 19 you were not hunting in the youth season but in the bow season any ways thats what I could find under region 8

ianwuzhere
09-03-2006, 12:06 PM
rite on- good pix

cowboy-up69
09-03-2006, 12:27 PM
Ya Im not trying to stir things up just trying to sort out the regs.Im guessing now this was a bow kill for what I can find youth seasons are restricted to hunters under the age of 19 so since you say your 19 you were not hunting in the youth season but in the bow season any ways thats what I could find under region 8

Im 19, too old to hunt in the youth seasons. But, I took out a buddy of mine, which is 16, who is allowed to hunt in the youth season, with me as long as he is under my supervision. It is perfectly legal. He shot it, not me. Im allowed to hunt bear with a rifle, and any bucks with a bow.

Radar
09-03-2006, 01:36 PM
Nice deer! Got to take them when you can!

mrdoog
09-03-2006, 01:54 PM
Way to go guys!

Sitkaspruce
09-03-2006, 03:40 PM
Sorry to stir the S**t but i have to say that it is a whitetail buck. Too much white on the tail and belly for a mulie. However I will stand corrected if I (we) can see the other pictures to show us if we are wrong. More pictures please, at least to clean up this post.

Thanks

30-06
09-03-2006, 07:20 PM
look at the first pic.the antler with 2 tines.it looks liek a mulie's. mulies are in forked pairs that antler is a forked pair.

30-06
09-03-2006, 07:22 PM
did he not put this form up to congradulate the guy on his deer..or to have people say bad things about them???

Jelvis
09-03-2006, 07:51 PM
I'm with ya on that one, let the young hunters show and tell, they should be happy with that nice buck and now I noticed the tail is too small to be a whitey I didn't look at it close, just commented I wasn't judging you, I'm too old to know all the stuff for the young hunters and all the regs anyway nice looking first deer, keep up the hunting photos There good quality.

DBM
09-03-2006, 07:58 PM
I just got back from hunting princeton with my son, funny to see this post now. I think the fact it's hanging upside down reveals more white on the tail than we're used to seeing.

My first impression was whitetail but the rack and donkey ears sure look like they belong on a mule deer to me. What general area were you hunting in? All I saw were mule deer up where we were.

alremkin
09-03-2006, 08:16 PM
I think it's a mulie too, but from the pics it's hard to tell for sure.

youngfellla
09-03-2006, 08:39 PM
Congrats on the deer, nicely done. Good eating right there. Nice of you to take out some youth hunters as well.:)

That deer is a Muley as far as I am concerned. Tail looks too short to be a Whitey, pics are not too clear but looks like he's got some big ears, and short brow tines, and is forked like a Muley. My 2 bits.8)

BlacktailStalker
09-03-2006, 09:50 PM
Nicely done.

mrdoog
09-03-2006, 10:05 PM
The second picture sure shows a long ear. The butt patch doesn't appear to extend down the back legs.
And what kind of honourable whitetail shows a little flag like that?
Let the guys enjoy their Muley.

ZENYO
09-03-2006, 10:14 PM
Congrats guys.. Well Done!

Marc
09-04-2006, 06:56 PM
OK this post has been edited and brought back online please keep it on track. If you've got a beef with someone take it to PM.

Marc/Admin

bsa30-06
09-04-2006, 06:59 PM
Cliff, i've been away on a unsucessful hunt, just got back a few minutes ago,and as i was reading this Marc unlocked it.Congrats to you and your buddy's, nice lookin deer.

dana
09-04-2006, 07:09 PM
I'll say it again, congrats on a great early season buck. Nice to see some kids with the desire and the gumption to hunt like you guys. Way to go. BTW, early season bucks are some of the best eatin' game around.

Marc,
Glad to see to see you cleaned this thread up. It was not the kind of thing that young hunters should have to hear. I sure hope some of the naysayers come on and apologize for their actions.
Pure Muley without a doubt.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/cmare8/again-1.jpg

talver
09-04-2006, 07:15 PM
Congrats on the nice buck thats going to be some real good eating guys just make sure you guys leave us guys some deer. Once again congrats on the nice buck always goood to see youth doing something productive with their time hold on I must be getting old I sound like my parents

mtnmax
09-04-2006, 07:29 PM
Congrats guys, looks awsome.
I hope to get out and sit in a stand on Thursday.

alremkin
09-04-2006, 07:31 PM
I think the important lesson in this is to see how people like to jump on hunters for anything they can. The group at this site is certainly much more hunter friendly than the population at large. Imagine that you had done something worng, which can happen an honest mistake, but you were seen by a group of anti hunters, the nightmare that would unsue. As hunters we need to use care in our pursuits and you've handled this situation well. Congratulations on your first buck and how you've handled it, pun intended, and may there be many more.:)

mrdoog
09-04-2006, 08:34 PM
Guys, I had faith that you were right.
I think your camera angles, combined with skinning in progress led some members on this site to misjudge you.
Would be nice to see a few apologies coming your way.

goathead
09-04-2006, 09:17 PM
Thanks Marc for reopening this thread.Its good to see our young hunters doing what we all enjoy hunting.good job guys nice mulie buck for the freezer.

dawn2dusk
09-05-2006, 08:26 AM
What a beauty. Look at that velvet. Way to go! Thanks for the post.

Rainwater
09-05-2006, 10:59 AM
Hey I know I stated I was choked about the Youth season within the confines of the BOW ONLY season but congrats to all you young guys. My bowhunting partner and his son and myself went out and he shot a real nice 4 pt, full velvet. Heres the best part, he had to go back to school and we are going bowhunting with some of his chops in the cooler!!! LOL

shortroot
09-05-2006, 11:18 AM
Congrats on the buck, boys. Two of them at that.

I too, at first glance, thought it was a whitey, but upon further inspection noticed that it looks similar to a whitey's tail due to the fact that it appears that the tail has been skinned part way towards the spine. From a quick story and a couple of pics I can not, and did not, make comment on the totality of the hunt and its legalities, I only assume that the young hunters thought it AOK, thus posted their story and pics. The last pic posted by DANA gives me a clear view of a MULIE:)

The fact that there was an unsupervised youth hunter is another story. I for one know plenty of young hunters that I would not have a concern leaving by themselves, unattended, while I was hunting nearby. On the other hand I also know plenty of young hunters I would be afraid to have walking by my side with a firearm. The same can be said of hunters over the age of 19, some good, some bad. My mother used to buy a license and take me out hunting from 13-19, so I could hunt when my dad was working. She could buy a license, but has never shot anything in her life, never shoots a gun, and knows very little about the changes in regulations from year to year. From the age of 13, crappers even younger, I have been reading hunting regs and hunting with family and friends. For me to have had to wait to hunt by myself until I was 19 was legal red tape. At the time I knew more about game, firearms and the bush than most of the people I went hunting with, yet they were responsible for me:roll: .

I do not disagree that there needs to be checks and balances for public safety, but there are instances when bending the rules isn't as big of a "crime" as it's made out to be.

I say congrats to the boys on a wonderful harvest and the best of luck on the rest of your season and future seasons.

BEST OF LUCK,

GS

Elkhound
09-05-2006, 11:31 AM
Congrats boys....early deer always taste yummmmy. Was out with the wife looking for bunnies on the weekend and ran into 4 deer. 2 were nice bucks standing broadside 30rds away. I have to get a bow.

GoatGuy
09-05-2006, 01:57 PM
Congrats - good on ya!