PDA

View Full Version : Black Bear attack in Port Moody

laredo318
08-08-2011, 02:18 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2011/08/08/bc-bear-attack.html?ref=rss

B.C. man survives mother bear's clawing

Mother bear killed, cubs stranded in tree

CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/credit.html)

Posted: Aug 8, 2011 12:33 PM PT

Last Updated: Aug 8, 2011 2:08 PM PT

Supporting Story Content

A B.C. man says he's lucky to be alive after walking away from a bear attack Monday morning with just a few minor injuries.

Ken Hogue was walking his dog just before 6 a.m. PT near his home in Anmore, near Port Moody, when he spotted a mother bear and her cubs.
"As I come over the crest of the hill, the mother bear turned around and saw myself and my dog so she made a beeline straight for us, so I dove down a small embankment just off the road there but she was on us like in a matter of seconds," Hogue said.
http://maps.google.com/maps/api/staticmap?center=49.294680,-123.013916&zoom=9&markers=size:mid|color:red|49.314534,-122.856317&path=color:0x0000FF80|weight:5|49.31445,-122.86869&maptype=terrain&size=220x220&sensor=false (http://maps.google.com/?q=anmore bc)Anmore, B.C. "It sort of nudged my dog ... and then it came right at me ... the mother bear was right on top of me and she clawed me on my right arm and just sort of stood over me, almost face to face. And so I was just waiting for her to sort of finish the job."
Hogue laid on the ground for several excruciating minutes, waiting for the bear to continue her attack.
"Basically, I just waiting for her jaws to come down and sort of finish the job ... Basically, that's what was going through my mind: Is this how I'm going to end my life? Being killed by a bear?"
'Very fortunate'

When nothing happened, Hogue slowly looked up and saw the mother bear slowly walking away, glancing back at him every few seconds.
Hogue grabbed his dog and started moving slowly back up the embankment, when the dog escaped his arms — once again drawing the attention of the mother bear.
"Fortunately, my next door neighbour came by in his car and so I waved at him. I said, 'Help. I've been attacked by a bear,'" Hogue said.
The car was enough to scare the bear away, and Hogue's neighbour called 911.
He was taken to the hospital with just a few scratches on his arm and a deep gash on his head, where he struck a rock while scrambling to get away from the bear.
"I'm just glad that it didn't go any further or was any worse than what it is," Hogue said. "I believe I was very, very fortunate that no more damage was done."
The mother bear was shot and killed by conservation officers, but her three cubs were left stranded in a tree in a trailer park, near the entrance to Buntzen Lake.
"So what you have is a clutch of conservation officers and RCMP kind of circling the tree trying to get these three cubs out," said CBC reporter Jason Proctor, who was at the scene.
"One of them just fired a tranquillizer gun at one of the cubs in an effort to try to get it out of the tree, so we're just basically waiting to see."
Proctor described it as a "very tense situation."

Jagermeister
08-08-2011, 02:34 PM
"down a small embankment just off the road"
Now there was a smart move. He may not have been found for a long time if he had been severely injured or killed. I'd rather have my ass chewed off on the road than down the embankment. He gets a Darwinian Award from me for that one. Oh, and he should get a bigger dog, one that at least would have attacked the bear while he was getting chewed.

reach
08-08-2011, 03:57 PM
If it wasn't a predatory attack I'm not sure why they needed to kill the bear. Now they'll have to find a foster home for the cubs.

It's probably not bad, in the grand scheme of things, to put some fear of humans back in bears, but the way people are nowadays I'm surprised they were so quick to kill it.

Ghillie
08-08-2011, 04:09 PM
Oh, and he should get a bigger dog, one that at least would have attacked the bear while he was getting chewed.

I agree. A larger dog most likely would have sensed the bear as a threat and attacked it. His small dog is pretty much bear bait hehe :mrgreen:

Spy
08-08-2011, 04:09 PM
If it wasn't a predatory attack I'm not sure why they needed to kill the bear. Now they'll have to find a foster home for the cubs.

It's probably not bad, in the grand scheme of things, to put some fear of humans back in bears, but the way people are nowadays I'm surprised they were so quick to kill it.

Total agreement the bear left him alone,they should have let her be!But I was not there & well don't know all the facts!I wonder how old the cubs were & if they will make it alone?

walks with deer
08-09-2011, 01:20 PM
I have had sows bark and charge me a few times while out hunting.

I suprised the sow every time and she had babys what happened to whistleing singing or anything when your a granola muncher out for the hike.
plain and simple he got to close if it was a predater attack he would be dead.

Salty
08-09-2011, 01:57 PM
A fed bear is a dead bear. People need to learn one simple thing, do not leave anything in your yard that a bear would want to eat. And take your garbage out the morning its going to be picked up and not before - keep it in the garage or whatever other than that.

Mr. Dean
08-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Dead because it's a repeat offender. Its been relocated before.

gamer
08-09-2011, 02:31 PM
I agree. A larger dog most likely would have sensed the bear as a threat and attacked it. His small dog is pretty much bear bait hehe :mrgreen:

The bear was facing off with a barking dog(not his little one) when the guy showed up and it left the dog to charge him. In this case a bigger dog didn't help him any. It is all too easy to say what we ourselves would have done in any kind of situation. Seeing as how Ken is a family friend I am just glad he survived it.

Popove
08-09-2011, 02:38 PM
Another case of us humans living in the animals environment Whats new?

elkdom
08-09-2011, 02:39 PM
was his dog ,registered?:?

licensed? on a leash?

and dogs around bears, unless a very aggressive and able large dog,
are more likely to get you mauled , than prevent you being mauled!

and that is even more dangerous when CUBS are in the vicinity,

the sow bear was protecting her young, too bad for urban guy,,,

gutpile
08-09-2011, 05:18 PM
Another case of us humans living in the animals environment Whats new?

Humans belong on this planet just as much as animals and Popove you allso live
on a former animals environment.

fuzzy
08-09-2011, 07:29 PM
My brother in law lives a 5 min walk up the hill from newport village in pt moody, he was charged by a black bear a couple of weeks ago in an urban trail walking literally 5O feet from a busy rd. Fortunetly the dog squared off and the bear decided to go elsewhere. My concerns are that if it had been a kid with no dog he woulda been mince meat. People feed these bears and until someone gets chewed on they dont kill em. For goodness sakes they are not endangered and if they are seen eating garbage in an urban setting or being fed they should destroyed. It is a waste of my taxes to relocate these things only to have them return it might sound cold but put the cubs down too.

fuzzy

marbles67
08-09-2011, 08:32 PM
the guy got lucky