PDA

View Full Version : got turned around in the bush

adamgarbett
08-07-2011, 09:47 PM
a couple of weeks ago i was on a hike trying to find a new spot to put up my trail cam. i was in a some what familiar area but was paying all my attention to spots to hang a cam and no attention to where i was walking or any landmarks to follow out, zig zagging around fallen trees and bushes ect. Long story short i realised i was turned around and started to panic :???:. I have been in the bush a few times since but i cannot shake that panic feeling or feeling like its gunna happen again.

has this happened to anyone elts? How can i shake the feeling.

what are some of your tricks and tips when adventuring into the thickets??

Thanx

porcupine
08-07-2011, 09:51 PM
New tecnology - GPS - helps a whole lot.

waistdeep
08-07-2011, 09:58 PM
For me the first thing that worked was when I ventured out in the woods, i remembered to always take my compass, since that was in my daypack, it became standard - if i am in the woods I have my stuff. Stuff gives me confidence if i am turned around its ok, give me some time and I will figure it out

Steeleco
08-07-2011, 09:59 PM
New tecnology - GPS - helps a whole lot.

Bingo, at least if you mark the point where you started the walk and have some reference to it should you get turned around, knowing where you are in relation to where you started will help avoid the panic. Panic kills more people than most are aware.

Turn it on, mark the spot, turn it off till you need it. The batteries will last forever that way!

leadpillproductions
08-07-2011, 09:59 PM
The first and only time i was lost was when i was 13 , man was i scared started to run untill i calmed down then i could figure out what the hell was goin on . I was like 100 yrds from my trail . Tough to shack the feeling .

jeff
08-07-2011, 10:00 PM
ive had that feeling numerous times myself and decided to buy a handheld gps and have upgraded twice but havent had that issue since and before you go any distance bring spare batteries and a compass for backup

finngun
08-07-2011, 10:04 PM
gps-- or old- fashioned red tape [or whatever]every forks of the road where you are going to

The Silent Stalker
08-07-2011, 10:19 PM
I'm hoping to invest in a good GPS unit this year. Until I do, I always carry a roll or two of flagging tape, tie little bits just about eye level every 50 yards or so. If I'm walking into an area "just to look" and I don't know it, I'll tie a few pieces on the way in, if I don't think I'm coming back I take them on the way out and just put them in my pocket until I need them again. Hint, buy the camouflage tape so nobody spots your trails and scoops your spot!

leadpillproductions
08-07-2011, 10:23 PM
Watch out for putting flaging tape on the trails some people dont like that lol

Black Lab
08-07-2011, 10:23 PM
I've never been lost. I've just been on some longer walks. :-D Seriously thou, get a good GPS and a compass and use it. I've never really used my compass that much. I think a compass and map kinda go together. And I rarely have a map with me. Some areas are quite easy to get lost in. No landmarks etc. Other not so much. Try and pay attention to where your going and places where you leave a trail, mark it somehow. You can never learn enough Bush Crafts. Lots of books around to. If your really worried about it pick yourself up a "Spot" I think they are less than $100

Gun Dog
08-07-2011, 10:31 PM
First, I turn around and look where I've been. The trail and landmarks can be completely different. Second, I check my bearing using the sun or a compass. Third, I have a GPS which is useful for linking up with other trails I've been on.

todbartell
08-07-2011, 10:51 PM
I don't go hunting without my GPS! Mark the truck/quad as a waypoint and shut it off. Keep some spare AA's in the daypack too

Big Lew
08-07-2011, 11:01 PM
I've traveled in all types of backcountry including dense bush, swamps, and mountains since 1958. There have been times I've been 'turned around' or confused about exactly where I was, or which way to get out or to a specific spot. Sometimes during the last 10 years or so I have used a gps unit, and even for a person not very knowledgeable about them, they work great. But before that I used a compass, watch, sun, tape, white thread (surveyors thread on large tapered spools), and even stars, usually in conjunction with detailed maps. Additionally, I paid attention to the prevailing winds, including noticing which way trees and vegetation was leaning. On exposed open ridges usually there will be wind patterns around rocks, small shrubs, and grasses. I have rescued or found several lost persons over the years, and I would say that 3/4's of them ended up in their situation because they panicked when they became confused, and then started hurrying or running in multiple directions until there was no way they could figure which way to go even if they finally stopped and rationally thought about it. That's the Cardinal rule when you become disoriented or confused about where you are, or which way to proceed.....stop, sit down, relax for a few minutes, and then try to mentally think it through....never start rushing about, quite often it ends in death from falls or exhaustion and exposure.

The Hermit
08-07-2011, 11:06 PM
I've had that feeling numerous times myself and decided to buy a handheld gps and have upgraded twice but havent had that issue since and before you go any distance bring spare batteries and a compass for backup

Exactly. A couple times been to that moment when panic was palpable, not taking over but enough to make me take notice and sort my shit out http://www.mutineerz.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_runaway.gif

... was VERY happy to get back - exhausted but happy, smiling, and a little more aware! http://www.mutineerz.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_ttozzz_knows.gif

I'm a older now and starting to think that on longer trips, the danger of forgetting where I am is equal to that of getting lost on the way in or out!! ;-)

Bought a GPS and... its all good. http://www.mutineerz.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_lmao.gif

Brambles
08-07-2011, 11:14 PM
Being a guy who's hunted mountains his whole life ,,,, when ever I hunt tree'd flat country, I have to be very careful to pay close attention, I've been turned around a couple times, but I normally don't go into an area without doing lots of map work first so I can usually find my way out

papaken
08-07-2011, 11:25 PM
I have had that panic feeling a couple of times when out in the bush. It can be quite scary. Luckily I remembered to stop sit down and assess my situation. I now have a GPS but have always carried a compass and checked maps before heading out. So even though I was "misplaced" I always found my way out. Do some prep work, carry the proper equipment, learn to take care of yourself if you do get misplaced and above all "DON'T PANIC"

hunter1947
08-08-2011, 02:56 AM
The one thing you should get is a GPS learn how to use it mark your truck or other before you leave them ,I come close to getting turned around a few time when shed hunting this spring I was concentrating on the ground and not the layout of the land ,I mark where my truck is at all times now every time I come back using the GPS I also use the old compass for a back up just in case the GPS does not work..

Lone Ranger
08-08-2011, 03:47 AM
Snap branches as you go, easy habit to form. Its gotten my straightened out a few times over the years... however, one of these times my luck dictates that I'm going to encounter a place where I turn around and every branch behind me is snapped :? LR

Walksalot
08-08-2011, 04:56 AM
Anyone who has spent any amount of time in the bush has gotten turned around. Get a compass and learn how to use it. Get a GPS and learn how to use it. Not to many people I know have a natural sense of direction and I know I sure don't.
It is a God awfull feeling when one gets turned around and more than once I have been blindly following the compass. Every one has a fear of getting lost other wise the compass makers and gps makers would not sell many units.
That feeling you get in your guts is just your little voice inside you warning you to be carefull because in the bush things can go south in a big way.

dave_fras
08-08-2011, 05:08 AM
me and my cousin actually got really lost a few years back! the fog ended up rolling in and we could only see 15 yards! we ended up being lost for a good 2 hours before the fog lifted!... we ended up doin 2 huge loops... and at one point we were only 50 yards from the quads!... now my gps is my bestfriend

doubled
08-08-2011, 05:43 AM
Always note where the sun is in the sky. Watch for drainages, bodies of water, etc. Around here, there is usually a road within a km or two somewhere around you. Worst case you have to walk a little further to get back to where you want to go.

Keep a cell phone with you and a GPS, no problems then.

Fisher-Dude
08-08-2011, 05:52 AM
I just make sure I have lots of diesel and a paid-up On-Star subscription, that way I can always find my way home. :wink:

trapperRick
08-08-2011, 07:38 AM
Get a GPS unit called BACKTRACKER it marks three points of REF and is a compass, it casts about $70 bucks and is very user friendly.

blackwater moose
08-08-2011, 08:05 AM
if you are nervous, try purchasing a backtracker from bushnel, they are the cat's ass for getting around in the bush

Popove
08-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Flagging Tape!! There i was!

Flingin' Sticks
08-08-2011, 08:50 AM
I've been turned around more than once, and I've also been looking for those who get 'turned around' many times. GPS/Compass is great, but from experience (again, on both sides) S*** still happens. Can't remember who said it, but most problems start for people when they panic...at some point getting lost is going to happen, so it may be better to plan for that eventuality, including how you will react. Remember STOP: stop...think...observe...plan.

Another exercise that I found incredibly helpful for getting over the fear of getting lost/fighting panic was to essentially put myself in a controlled situation and force myself to stay out. your mind will be your own worst enemy when in the bush. Maybe try going out one night with nothing more than you would realistically have in your day pack and stay out in the bush...make a fire, shelter, etc. and learn what it feels like to be in that situation. You will be surprised at how difficult this can be mentally, but with that understanding it will be easier to fight off panic if/when you find yourself in that situation for real.

brian
08-08-2011, 08:57 AM
I can get lost in a closet and not knowing exactly where I am does not bother me, it has happened so often. The number one rule I use is no matter how far I go from the road, I assume I can get lost. So I pay attention to the sun if I can see it, take compass bearings, spend a lot of time with maps, and lastly I make heavy use of my GPS.

Walksalot
08-08-2011, 09:08 AM
I carry a pack with me where ever I go. It is not the extended trips which will get you into a pickle it's the "oh I will just sneak over here for a couple of hours" which seems to turn into a bit of a situation.
Also, I have had my GPS go south on me but my compass has never let me down.

Big Lew
08-08-2011, 09:25 AM
"Walksalot"----Also, I have had my GPS go south on me but my compass has never let me down.

x2! But I also had problems with a compass once. It kept pointing to a highly mineralized outcropping I was trying to circumnavigate. Once I realized the problem, I moved further away and everything was back to normal. Most of us were taught how to make a rudimentary compass out of iron nails, pins, staples, fish hook, etc. when we were kids, so even if you break or lose your compass, you have backup. Alternately, unless there's very dark clouds, making a simple sun dial will assist you on direction.

Jim 1367
08-08-2011, 09:27 AM
I got lost in a snow storm once following a deer. By the time I broke off the chase my tracks had blown in, the snow was coming down hard and I realized I had lost my compass. It had fallen out of my pocket before I left the camp. Being as the terrain was timbered and quite a few creeks and hills I had no idea which way to head. Talk about feeling like a dumbass my first thought was to keep going because there was no way I was going to admit I was lost. I fought that feeling and sat down to think. Long story short my wife called the state police(we were 8 hours from home). A guy that lived a few miles away heard it on his scanner and came and looked for me. Found me at 8:30 that night. I had a fire going and was as comfortable as I was going to be considering the circumstances. When he asked me if I had ever been lost before I told him no. That is when he told me something I will never forget. "I guarantee you will never be lost again". He was right, I never take things for granted and always pay attention to where I am. Your wits and abilities are your best defense from getting lost. Gps's are great but you should never count on them alone.

When we got back to camp two game wardens came in thinking thatI was still out there. Their comments were a guy that sits still is easy to find, the guy that won't admit he is lost will wander around all night.

adamgarbett
08-08-2011, 10:53 AM
Wow I can't thank you all enough for all the response. And all the good advise. I am still learning about bush tactics and am grateful for and advise I can get and I'm absorbing it all like a sponge. so thank you all again and again.

Adam

r0adki1l
08-08-2011, 12:12 PM
I just skimmed thru this thread maybe some one else mentioned it. pay attention the rivers, sun etc... I was out geocaching one time when my gps kept bouncing around in the trees then finally the batteries died, Don't think it mattered much since it was fairly dense canopy in there. wandered around a bit thinking I knew where I was got completely turned around and same thing started to panic... ran around in the bush for a bit then remembered S.T.O.P. Stop, Think, Observe, and Plan. I then remembered that when I walked in the sun was at my back so i then turned around and followed the sun out after 3 hours i finally got back to the trail. i was about 100 meters from where i went in. that was the last time i relied on my gps they are a wonderful tool but the can die loose signal etc... keep a compass as back up and know how to use it!!!

The Dude
08-08-2011, 12:21 PM
If you never leave the road, it will never be a problem. :D

adamgarbett
08-08-2011, 01:47 PM
Road hunting is only fun on cold cold cold late November mornings

1/2 slam
08-08-2011, 02:03 PM
It's a lousy feeling. When it happened to me the most important thing I did was sit for 10 minutes to calm down.

Jagermeister
08-08-2011, 02:25 PM
I had it happen to me years ago.
Went on my way through the forest, it wasn't dense scrub pines that you find after a fire.
The weather closed in on me real fast, snow started falling and visability dropped to about 30 feet. Thought that I better backtrack.
It was not too many minutes back before I lost my footprints as the snow was falling hard and filled them in totally obliterating them.
Of course, I had left my compass in the truck as I did not think I would need it because I was not going far and the sun was peeking through the clouds.
The area that I was in was accessed by only one road. Heard a gun shot in the distance and I got a fix on the road. Knowing that a person will deviate right or left depending on left or right handedness, I choose to start lining trees in the direction that I wanted to go. Line up three trees and walk to the first and line up another so that I had three trees lined up at all times. No too long and I hit the road but was not sure if I should go left or right. Decided on right and set off. Snow still falling like crazy. After about a mile and a half, I came upon my truck. Lucky for me that I choose the right direction.
After that, the first thing that I made sure I had was my compass and after that the snacks, some kind of fire starter and water. Lastly the the firearm.
It took a while to build my confidence back up. Still take my compass, the gps and 2 fresh batteries.

Darksith
08-08-2011, 03:00 PM
its been said, but not the easy way. I have never owned a GPS, I just bought 1, but more for the maps than as a tool to get me outta the bush. When you leave your truck, note the shadows off the trees. This is the easiest way to find your way back if you get turned around. It works great b/c you can't forget to snap a twig or tie a ribbon, you aren't searching for anything just to find your way out which can also lead to panic if you can't find your marker. Note the shadows, note the time, and note the terrain. If you go up and you see the shadows going up the hill in the morning, you know in the evening the shadows should be pointing down the hill. If they don't you have gone over the hill and are now coming down the wrong side. Its pretty easy to get on top, circle a couple times then drop off the wrong side. Also another thing to think about is noise. Is there a railway close that you can hear a train, a hwy, anything. Remember which ear you are hearing things as you leave your truck, they can help get you close to it on the way back.

buck nash
08-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Always have a compass and a "safety bearing". For example if the road you drove up on goes north and you got out of your truck and went into the bush on the right side of the road, this means you're travelling roughly east. Use your compass to comfirm. Then you know your safety bearing is due west. Even if you don't follow your exact route back, you know you're gonna hit that rd by going west eventually.

Also a good idea to have looked at a map before you head in so you have a better idea where things are when you bump into them.

nature girl
08-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Sometimes when my boyfriend and I are walking in the forest if I have a stick every once in awhile I will drag the stick on the ground or drag my foot to leave a mark. It may sound stupid to some but I like it.
Most of the time we dont go back the same way anyways.

Mountaintop
08-08-2011, 07:23 PM
Lots of good info here from people who have learned the hard way. Panic is your worst enemy and your brain and experience your best survival tool. My best advice is the old farmer's wisdom, if you find yourself in a hole, stop digging. Sit down, assess your situation and don't feel like you have to do something right away. I never go into the back country without supplies that could carry me through a day or two if I had to sit and wait out a rescue. Remember to take the 10 essentials including a space blanket, plastic tarp, water and windproof matches, food and water. Always tell someone where you are going and when to expect you back.

brian
08-08-2011, 07:59 PM
Someone above mentioned that you tend to veer off course, you can do this even when using a compass. A good technique I have used on compass bearings is look for closer visible landmarks that are on your course and head for them, then take a new bearing at each landmark. I will also sometimes intentionally veer off course in one direction to help me find a location that will be hard to find with a single bearing. For example if I know the FSR I parked on runs east west and it is south of me. I will go SSW so I know that I should walk east on the FSR to find my truck. Another tip which gives me a sense of security, all my electronics share the same battery type (and I carry a few to spare). So if my GPS runs dead and my spares are for some reason caput, I can still raid my mini-maglight or my head lamp for extra batteries if necessary.

lovemywinchester
08-08-2011, 08:12 PM
I was turned around near whistler this spring shed hunting and came pretty close to this bear. I had my rifle so I felt safe and managed to get back out safe and sound. Having your gun in hand is a big confidence builder when turned around. Plus your day pack with the essentials to do an overnighter if need be.
http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/shed/11.jpg

Little Red Man
08-08-2011, 08:17 PM
Some great advice about equipment (GPS and backup maps and compass). Also, helps to have with you (I ALWAYS do now) enough provisions (extra clothes, matches, space blanket, food, water, etc.) so that you can spend a night in the bush if you absolutely have to.

Has happened to me once, and luckily nothing bad happened.

Best advice I could give (and some I got as a youngster in Scouts) is to keep your head up once in a while and look around you and most importantly BEHIND you so you have some mental clues when heading back out.

Also, I am with a Search and Rescue outfit, and the number one killer when lost is PANIC. If panic sets in, you need to STOP and take stock of the situation. Get your breathing and your brain under control and THINK.

It is hard, once this has happened to you, to shake thefeeling in the future, but looking at it positively, you have definitely learned a lesson from this mistake.

Big Lew
08-08-2011, 08:28 PM
"Darksith" mentioned paying attention to noises such trains, traffic etc. which is a good idea, but also be aware that some noises in mountainous terrain will echo about and bounce off the opposite mountainside. I know of many people that have headed toward someone's holler or whistle, only to find when they got close, the person calling was on the other mountain. I remember a good friend and I whistling for our dogs in such a situation and becoming worried that they weren't coming in. Luckily mine was a yellow lab, and we saw them almost at the top of the adjacent mountain heading away. Only by whistling very loudly once they reached the top, did they stop and turn around and see us jumping and waving our arms. Boy did they race back. I guess they were getting as anxious as we were.

DMAN009
08-08-2011, 08:36 PM
Wow I cannot believe how many people rely on GPS. I understand that it is an important tool and is quite useful, but there is one thing that I think is so much more valuable. That is not getting caught up in the excitement and paying attention to your surroundings. I tend to focus on mountain peaks. I remember where my "home base" is based off of surrounding mountain peaks. Most often than not, you can always view different mountain peaks from your location in BC. Always try to triangulate your position by locating 3 or 4 mountain ranges.

Also preplan, look at google earth and know the area before hand. Know that if u can determine which direction you are looking at, that you will have confidence in what "might and should" be there if you head that direction. Also, creeks/rivers tend to lead out to civilization on most cases.

OH YEA!!!!!! DONT PANIC!!!!!!

Walksalot
08-09-2011, 05:41 AM
My son was concerned about getting lost in the woods from the stories he heard from my Search and Rescue experiences. He wanted to get proficient with the compass and one of his questions was to do with how often you check your compass. I told him there was no set answer to that question because topography and timber type can change quickly in this corner of the world. One day we set off on a bit of a trek through the bush with a mountain lake as our destination and tried to show him what works for me. I downloaded the the way point using the Map Source program. It was close to a 6km trek one way and that day he learned all about following a bearing and how often he checked his compass. Once we left the cutblock and got into the bush there were no land marks to be seen. He started out using trees as destination marks and he would take a bearing, focus on the tree and walk to it. I explained to him that in a hunting situation this was not realistic because you should be trying to look all around for game and a person spends more time focusing on a tree than one does looking around. He found out that he checked his compass at least every 50 yards to maintain a fairly straight bearing and once and a while we stopped to look around a different things and when we went to carry on he found out that even though he had just checked his compass that after looking around directions can get muddled up and even though we had not traveled any distance at all another check of the compass was in order to maintain our bearing to the lake. He used his GPS about half a dozen times to make sure we never got to far off course and each time he was not far off at all. The lake we were trying to get to was just over the height of land and we broke over the crest of the mountain and one more check of the GPS showed we were within 100 meters of the lake. We had our lunch and then he led us back through the bush to the truck.
That day he learned that combining the compass and GPS one has less chance of getting into a pickle if the GPS should malfunction. By using the compass needle as your reference point one can follow a fairly tight bearing while doing a faily good job of trying to see game. The cut block we parked the truck in was rather large so it did give us a bit of leeway if we got off course a bit.

Flingin' Sticks
08-09-2011, 07:13 AM
Sometimes when my boyfriend and I are walking in the forest if I have a stick every once in awhile I will drag the stick on the ground or drag my foot to leave a mark. It may sound stupid to some but I like it.
Most of the time we dont go back the same way anyways.

Not Stupid at all. Trust Me, Search and Rescue will love you for this if they are ever needed, as it tells us exactly which direction you went.

open-sights
08-09-2011, 07:56 AM
Wow, what a fantastic thread. Some real good advice given as well regarding GPS info, there will always be a chance that you have nothing but yourself to rely on. I started tracking a deer in an area where deer seemed to be few and far between last season. Cut a real fresh track and followed it for just over 2 hours in light snow before I realized that I had no clue where I was and that the deer had taken me on a pretty twisty turny route. I was not super familiar with the area to the north and east of where I started and hit panic mode when I realized what I had done. It was remembering at first light where the sun was when i was spotting in correlation to where my main trail was and what general direction I should be going - using the sun as a kind of point of reference, knowing if I held it to the right side of my face I would eventually cut the trail and I did, but for an hour - the second guessing and fear was well above comfort levels i am accustomed to.

Big Lew
08-09-2011, 08:10 AM
Very good story, "Walksalot", good lesson for your Son. When I was a teen, my best friend, and a brother would practice traveling from point A to B by selecting a starting location, and then by using a compass, go to another location such as a small pond about 2-3 miles through thick bush. Alternately, on a sunny day we would use a watch and the sun to do the same. We would make it fun by making our own field compass and by making a rudimentary sundial. It is relatively easy to travel by using the sun and time, but a true measure of woodsmanship is being able to successfully make your way when it is socked in by cloud, snow, or fog. Gps units are so accurate, it's like walking along a sidewalk now-a-days, but if their system fails, then what?

coquitlam
08-09-2011, 10:52 AM
Great thread , it describes many of the tactics that I use to stay safe. 2 things I can add.
-Bring a deck of cards, if you find yourself lost sit down and play a couple games of solitaire as it will help cut the initial shock and allow you to start the process of getting your head straight. (a search and rescue buddies trick)
-Keep that compass in your pack away from metal or magnetic gear. I always carry 2 compasses at 2 different parts of the pack or my body

noahs ark
08-09-2011, 02:13 PM
Allign the sun between 2 shadows of trees with old mans beard on the same side while standing exact opposite side with both arms in the air.
Were not all mantrackers get a gps

Davey Crockett
08-09-2011, 02:59 PM
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but I always print maps for the areas I hunt. I use a gps but if or when the batteries go dead, the compass and map work very well.

adamgarbett
08-09-2011, 05:44 PM
wow thanx again to everyone and all the helpful hints. Much appreciated

GreyDog
08-09-2011, 05:52 PM
When I have gotten mixed up (and it has happened more often than I like to remember) it has always been when I was reasonably close to home. Familiarity breeds contempt and I was paying little attention to my surroundings. It usually just meant I had to walk a little further. Sometimes the terrain runs a little differently than one might expect. I have had situations where it almost seemed like I had stepped into another dimension!
One time, I walked in a big circle three times. Twice to the left and once to the right! I kept coming back to the truck when that was not my intent. The fourth time, I finally managed to stay straight. This was on the Bonaparte plateau on a cloudy, dreary day. A compass would have saved me a lot of walking but I was comfortable in that locale and too complacent. Now that I have some more years on me, I still get turned around but it takes me longer to get very far off course. My biggest problem is that moment of disorientation when I first wake up unjder a strange tree! GD

Phreddy
08-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Join your local ground search and rescue team. Learned a lot in the last few months taking the basic training course.

Shooter
08-09-2011, 10:11 PM
One time when I decided to go out mushroom picking and I couldn't find my compass at home so I grabbed my kids cheapo "toy". When I got to where I was going to head into the bush I took a quick compass reading and started heading uphill. I figured I am going west uphill so to come back I will head East downhill... easy enough. Well as I headed "uphill" I saw a few mushroom over there, then more over there. Oh look some more there. Before I knew it I looked up and I was in the middle of a bowl. It was uphill all around me, and nothing looked familiar because I had been staring at the ground so much. No problem, I took out the compass took a reading and headed off East back towards the road picking more mushrooms as I go. Before too long I came to a creek, I hadn't crossed a creek. I took the compass out again and it said I was heading South.... I put it down and picked it up again immediately and realized that it now said West.... SHIT!... I had that minute of panic and I just started heading the way I "thought" I should be going. That only happened for a couple minutes before I managed to calm myself and sit down for a minute to collect my thoughts. While I was sitting, WAYYYYYYY off in the distance I heard the very faint noise of a Semi-truck heading down the highway :) It's no fun being turned around in the bush but you always need to remember the MOST IMPORTANT thing is to stay calm and sit down for a minute to clear your head before you just start running off in a direction.

Shooter
08-09-2011, 10:23 PM
another tip is that you can use your wristwatch as a compass. (I learned this trick after my mushroom picking incident)

What you do is take your watch and holding it in front of you line up the hour hand with the sun. Lets say it is 2pm.

You then draw an imaginary line halfway between the hour hand (2pm) and 12 on the watch. So halfway would be 1pm.

That imaginary line points South. You now know your bearings, North would be a line heading to the 7 oclock direction, East = 10 oclock, West = 4 oclock.

If you have a digital watch just draw a picture on the ground depicting the time it is and do the same procedure.

buck nash
08-10-2011, 12:31 AM
http://www.swalter.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/dont-panic.jpg

Pre '64
08-10-2011, 03:07 AM
When I started hunting with hounds (coon and bobcat) I was about 18 yrs old. This is what gave me complete confidence in navigating the woods. NO GPSs back then. When chasing hounds, you go where they are unless you think they are circling back, and if they going out of hearing you run to catch up so you don't lose their location (Of course now they have GPSs on the hounds and a laptop to find them). Anyway, in your mind you must have 'the big picture' of the general layout of the country you are in and you travel in straight lines to the hounds and cover a lot of distance. When you shoot the cat or can't find them dam hounds your only choice is to use your compass and walk out and hit a road somewhere and then walk to your truck.

I think it might be worth a try to try and get out with someone who hunts with hounds and use your compass and you will soon gain a great deal of confidence. You could do this hiking but with the dogs it's different, when the dog handler says lets go, you go, and you don't know what you are heading into in a lot of cases, and you better have an idea in your head which direction you have to head get back out.

When I deer hunt now I never walk on trails and head into areas where no other hunters will be and spend the day and then head back out and now with a GPS it's easy.

Jelvis
08-10-2011, 08:25 AM
If you get turned around but the weather isn't too bad try to pick a direction you think is close to right and go direct as possible no looping or circles.
Listen for roadways and listen for distant sounds of human life, ie, trains, dog barking, semi trailer trucks jake breakin.
Think don't panic, ask yourself what's the worst thing that could happen out here?
Realize you have a rifle and if you need to, build a camp fire.
Find any kind of trail and see where it leads but do not go down stay level or go up but don't drop down too fast until you see something on the horizon that tweeeks your interest.
No use getting all scared and nervous and moving too fast, you could break a leg or poke an eye.
Hunt in a good area over the years and get to know it like your living room.
This confidence will help you enjoy hunting more and focus on the pray better.
Jello .. When walking in turn a round and see what it looks like from behind .....

adamgarbett
08-10-2011, 07:29 PM
right on jel. i like that advise, well put (as useual):-D. thanx a million :cool:

Phreddy
08-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Actually, as a member of the local ground and inland water search and rescue team, I can assure you that the absolute worse thing you can do if you find yourself lost is move around. The average person in the bush, covers about 2.6 km an hour. If you stay put, you cut our search area to about a 5 km radius from the last place seen or last known location. For every hour that you go wandering around trying to find your way out, you basically double our search area.
If you find yourself lost, stay put, build a fire, preferably in an open area, and plan to spend the night. If you follow a few basic survival tips, it can make the night a relatively warm and comfortable one. If you decide to ignore them, well, lets just say you will probably discover a new level of discomfort. Always carry enough food and water in your daypack to last you through 2 days. It doesn't take a lot of room, is light weight, and will likely save your life.
You can last 3 minutes without air, 3 days without water, and 3 weeks without food.
Wander around and you'll likely be one of the folks we find too late.

Big Lew
08-10-2011, 10:16 PM
As I'm sure "Phreddy" will attest to, it's a tremendous feeling when you successfully find someone that's been lost. I've been very fortunate that I've not been a victim, and that I've been able to find several individuals that were lost. One such person was a 14 year old mountain biker in a Washington State Park that had become separated from his parents and gone completely down the wrong side of a mountain. There was a cold rain all afternoon and He was extremely tired and hyprothermic when I found him well after dark. Actually brought tears to my eyes when he was re-united with his parents, after lending him some dry clothes and giving him a nice warm supper etc.

greenhorn
08-11-2011, 08:13 AM
Neat thread!

The only problem I have with the STOP rule is that it takes a conscious decision to give up trying to find your way out. I know I've been turned around, lost I guess, and the last thing that crossed my mind was to sit and wait for someone to find me. The first thing that crosses my mind is to get into problem solving mode and figure it out. Search and rescue folks would probably yell at me for this, but I feel that if I have 6hrs of daylight left I'd better try to help myself... If I'm still lost and just can't figure it out I'll start a fire and throw wet stuff on it so they can find the smoke.

Personally, I'm a flagging tape and compass user. Tape is visual confirmation of your route, and north is always north. On the other hand, I've watched GPSers walk around in circles while there GPS struggles to get a fix in thick cover, kinda funny to watch... i ask them what they're doing and they say "i have to move around so the arrow points in the direction that i'm heading"

Two of the best tricks I was taught was how to use the stars, or sun, to find a bearing. Being able to find the north star can be really helpful, and knowing which direction the sun rises and sets is also a big bonus. Using these as a back-up to confirm what you compass/gps tells you can add confidence. The other thing I note is where the FSRs, or nearest FSR is. If you know that your east of a FSR that flanks you in a north-south direction, then west is the way out....

Gun Dog
08-11-2011, 08:52 AM
I don't like sitting around. It gives you time to think about how cold it gets at night and how shorts and a T-shirt doesn't cut it. One time I was caught out a dusk without a light I kept going -- slowly -- and eventually hit a main trail but I knew exactly where I was. (My friends made sure they were well rested and well fed before they came looking for me.)

bcmulie
08-11-2011, 09:44 AM
1. Spend a lot of time in the bush. The more time you spend, the more confidence you will develop and the better your sense of direction will be.
2. Carry a map and compass. I ALWAYS carry a compass and always know the bearing that will take me out to safety. It's been over 10 years since I've needed to use it, but I still carry it - you just never know. Also, make sure it's not an electronic compass.
3. Be alert to the possibility that mineral deposits may mess with your compass (although 9 times out of 10 if your compass says north is one way and you say it's another way, your compass is right). One of my dad's hunting partners was lost for 4 days in -20 degree weather north of Grand Forks a number of years ago. His compass wouldn't work properly due to mineral deposits. Luckily he found an old trapper's cabin (without a roof) and was able to get a fire started. Eventually a search and rescue helicopter found him, but he still ended up spending several days in hospital recovering from frost bite. Ironically, his last words to my dad before he set off hunting were "you can't get lost here".
4. Like others have said, if you are lost don't panic. Sit down and take the time to think about how you ended up where you are. If you are inexperienced, you are better off staying put.
5. Be prepared. I always carry a rain jacket and pants and a survival kit with a space blanket, a pen flare gun, 3 flares, first aid equipment and fire starters. Also food, water, toque and gloves. With those items and my compass I'm pretty confident I can survive until the search and rescue team finds me. Be mentally prepared as well. Sooner or later you will get turned around if you spend enough time in the bush. I've only walked in a circle once, but when I did it sent a chill down my spine. Knowing what to do in that situation, and having thought about it in advance, will serve you well.
6. A GPS is a nice tool, but I would never rely solely on one. In open country I've used a GPS a few times to guide me out of the bush in the dark, but I've had other situations where the GPS led me astray. One time north of Pemberton I hiked up through the timber into the alpine after dark. I had previously GPS'd a camping spot in the alpine, so when I broke out of the timber I turned on my GPS to guide me the last few hundred meters to camp. The GPS would tell me 200 m NW to camp and I'd head in that direction, then it would tell me 150 m S, then 300 m E, and so on. Finally I turned it off and headed the direction I thought camp was, and managed to find it in the moonlight

bcmulie.

Big Lew
08-11-2011, 09:59 AM
Good post "bcmulie", I also carry a small knapsack containing survival gear whenever I set out, not just for hunting, and I always carry a compass. As I earlier stated, although it's rare, compasses can be influenced by mineral deposits, but the interference doesn't last long. Lately, I have used a gps, but I'm old school, and would never totally rely on one.

Phreddy
08-11-2011, 10:18 AM
As I'm sure "Phreddy" will attest to, it's a tremendous feeling when you successfully find someone that's been lost. I've been very fortunate that I've not been a victim, and that I've been able to find several individuals that were lost. One such person was a 14 year old mountain biker in a Washington State Park that had become separated from his parents and gone completely down the wrong side of a mountain. There was a cold rain all afternoon and He was extremely tired and hyprothermic when I found him well after dark. Actually brought tears to my eyes when he was re-united with his parents, after lending him some dry clothes and giving him a nice warm supper etc.

For sure Big Lew. There's only one thing that feels better in those situations and that's when you find out that it was a false alarm and the person, especially a kid or elderly person forgot to let concerned family or friends know they had returned home, etc. We had one of those incidents last weekend in Tulameen with a kid. I'd far rather have one of those experiences after hours of searching than the experience of finally finding the subject, who is usually quite traumatized from the experience.
In a search, the "probable direction of travel" of a subject is usually downhil.
The "preferred" direction of travel for a subject is none.

Phreddy
08-11-2011, 10:23 AM
I don't like sitting around. It gives you time to think about how cold it gets at night and how shorts and a T-shirt doesn't cut it. One time I was caught out a dusk without a light I kept going -- slowly -- and eventually hit a main trail but I knew exactly where I was. (My friends made sure they were well rested and well fed before they came looking for me.)

That's what a well thought out daypack is for. After all, what does a space blanket, bic lighter, firestart sticks, a few trail mix bars and water bottle, along with a few other necessities weigh? Not as much as the feeling one gets when lost that they wish they'd been prepared for the worst when they left the trail. The difference between old woodsmen and bold woodsmen is that there are very few old bold woodsmen. Anyone can get lost. The secret is to use enough common sense so that you can be found before it's too late.

ravensfoot
08-11-2011, 01:16 PM
All good information!!
I have been "turned around" in the bush a couple of times and have also found people that have been equally "turned around". It's not a good feeling being lost but as the others before have said, if you are prepared then the worries and panic are less.
KEYS to success -
#1. Someone knows your general location and expected time back.
#2. Compass (mandatory) GPS (optional) Tie it to your belt so it cant get lost. Use it the entire time hiking, not just when you are lost.
#3. Watch
#4. Survival Kit (matches, space blanket, candies etc)
#5. Pencil and paper.

One trick I use is to create a 15 minute box. First take a compass bearing of the road/trail you are leaving. Enter at 90º to the road and walk only 15 min in a streightish line. turn right at 90º walk for 15 min then turn right 90º again and you will hit your road in about 15 minutes. This is a great reliable way to scout an area. do not deviate from your compass bearing and if you do, make a mental note of the time and compass bearing when you do make the deviation. The paper and pencil comes in handy if you do get mixed up. It allows you to sit down if you are lost and back track on paper what your path deviations were. This also helps you to calm down by focusing on the details of the route you took. (I have used this method of figuring my way out when turned around).

Good luck!

bcmulie
08-11-2011, 02:34 PM
I totally forgot Ravensfoot's #1 - letting someone know where you are going. I usually leave a map behind with my hunt locations and camp marked and/or mark points on google earth.

bcmulie

horshur
08-11-2011, 03:07 PM
Sir...you are out and wrote the post and that is what I would take confidence in for next time

Jelvis
08-11-2011, 05:45 PM
If your hunting with one or two other hunters with you in the same area out hunting together back up a ridge off a road then you can have some things to do if getting dark and your turned around.
When you left the vehicle you step away about twenty feet and look at your compass needle, turn the compass base arrow onto the direction of red tipped needle saying, N. North. Look where you intend to hunt and read the compass direction to your spot then think the opposite way from that and that's how you come out.
The truck is parked there by the road and the road goes generally straight either way for a k or two so that's your limit to come out on that road til it turns.

Big Lew
08-11-2011, 07:17 PM
It's taken me many years to get to my level as a woodsman, that's not to say I'm at the top by a longshot. I learn new stuff every year, and I haven't enough years left to get to the level some have achieved, but even those at the top of their game can get turned around in some of our varied terrain. One of the main reasons I prefer to hunt alone is the ugly feeling when your partner doesn't show up when he's supposed to. It's happened to me many times, and I never know how long I should stay at the rendezvous spot before I start looking for him. The only time I take someone now is if they agree to hunt together, or stay reasonably close.

adamgarbett
08-11-2011, 07:26 PM
ravens foot.

good avise im going to try that this weekend.

what should i look for in a "good" compass

Jelvis
08-11-2011, 08:56 PM
All you need for a compass is two, lol, two compasses for about ten bucks or more each, read one, have the other in a separate pocket. Always have two minimum.
Buy at any big box store like Wally's World, or a smaller place like Surplus Herby's.
Or your local outdoor sports type that supplies for hikers, ridge runners, hunters and fisherpeople.
In Van try Reliable Gun.
The point is have a back up compass one in one deep pocket you read and another in a buttoned pocket as a double. Look up compass use and learn to read and walk in the right direction in the forests and fields and around rivers, lakes, and streams.

Gun Dog
08-11-2011, 09:59 PM
That's what a well thought out daypack is for. After all, what does a space blanket, bic lighter, firestart sticks, a few trail mix bars and water bottle, along with a few other necessities weigh? That just means there's no epic tale of survival and, more importantly, no book and movie deal. ;)

Jelvis
08-12-2011, 01:27 PM
If your turned around in the ridges and darkness is settling in fast, slow down and stop.
Look for a higher hill and stay up, now wait til it's dark and fire three hail mary's.
Shoot 1 wait a second shoot two, wait a sec than Bam! number 3. Now silence listen.
Your buddy will fire one back. BOOM! off in the distance, check direction of shot and start walking.
Radios are ok but can have harsh limitations when back in and around a few hillz.
Note: Wait til after dark to shoot or someone could be hunting and not hear.
Jel .. BAM, BAM,BAM! .. Hey guys fire back I'm all earz .. Where the h am I?

Walksalot
08-13-2011, 09:52 AM
If you are turned around loose daylight and elect to fire three shots unless you get an answer fairly quickly save your ammo. The chances are that Search and Rescue won't be out looking for you, unless they have a very good reason to set out in the dark, until the next day. Also traveling through the bush at night may not be the best idea unless you have a compass + flashlight and can follow a bearing. A better idea might be to take a bearing on the reply to your distress signal and sit tight until the next morning. I am pretty sure it will be a long night but I think that might be your best option.

TyTy
08-13-2011, 10:21 AM
Not fool proof, but if you know what you are doing with a GPS and Compass (a map is a bonus), you should be able to find your truck or a road always.

1. Enter a Way-Point on your GPS; either because you have been there and marked it (your truck), or input the coordinates off a map.
2. Wait for good satellite reception, generally +- 10 meters is the best you can get for a fix.
3. Hit the page untill you find the distance and bearing.
4. Use a compass to stay on bearing, and estimate your distance.
5. repeat to close in on an exact location.

TyTy
08-13-2011, 10:25 AM
And also look up the declination of your location (the difference between True North and Magnetic North). On Van. Island the declination is 18.5 degrees east.
Its good to pick up a decent compass too, cheapys are cheap for a reason.

Davey Crockett
08-13-2011, 10:42 AM
A useful site to look up declination

http://geomag.nrcan.gc.ca/apps/mdcal-eng.php

ravensfoot
08-13-2011, 05:46 PM
Jelvis is right, a good idea is to have two compasses. I had the same compass for the last 10 years and this past year it finally developed a large bubble and wouldnt work. Just glad it didn't happen in the field. A good compass is better than a cheap compass, my son bought a cheap $15 compass at crappy tire and it was a real piece of junk. The compass doesent have to be fancy, it just has to work. I prefer the Silva Brand, this is what I usually use. http://store.silvacompass.com/products/345164/Starter_1-2-3
http://mediacdn.shopatron.com/media/mfg/583/product_image/thm/t360_2c622146a184f6ea7a4046cca25adfef.jpg?13132826 72

Phreddy
08-13-2011, 08:27 PM
If you are turned around loose daylight and elect to fire three shots unless you get an answer fairly quickly save your ammo. The chances are that Search and Rescue won't be out looking for you, unless they have a very good reason to set out in the dark, until the next day. Also traveling through the bush at night may not be the best idea unless you have a compass + flashlight and can follow a bearing. A better idea might be to take a bearing on the reply to your distress signal and sit tight until the next morning. I am pretty sure it will be a long night but I think that might be your best option.

Exactly. It's one hell of a lot easier to find someone within a 5 km radius than it is in a 10 or 20 km radius because they decided not to sit tight.If you really want to see what the difference between looking for the two is, join your local search and rescue team. It'll cure your wanderlust in the event you get lost.

Big Lew
08-13-2011, 10:19 PM
Just to give an example about 'panic' and of what "Phreddy" is advising.....I have a Brother-in-law that was in very good physical shape that went hunting in the swampy badlands near Prince George a few years ago. Knowing the area, and that he would be hunting in foggy conditions, I advised him to take extra care not to leave well defined pathways, make sure to use a compass, take along a survival pack, and if he does get lost, build a fire and stay put. Well, he saw a moose on the other side of a swamp meadow, so decided to try for it. The moose kept moving from one swamp meadow to another, with my Brother-in-law following, hoping for a shot. After skirting several meadows, he lost it and then realized he had no idea where he was, or what direction to go. He panicked and started running. The more he ran, the more panicked he became, pulling himself through bush and devils club, ripping his clothes, and all the while he kept hearing my advice in his head, but couldn't stop. He had run over 5 miles before he was so tired, all he could do was walk. During this time he kept firing his rifle, but he wouldn't stay put. There were woodsmen in the area. They heard his shots and knew he must be in trouble, but couldn't catch up with him. Fortunately, they knew the area, so raced their truck on roads that brought them ahead of him and were able to save him. If they hadn't been able to get ahead of him, he would have been so far from his hunting area, he likely would have parished before being found. As far as I know, to this day, he hasn't gone hunting again.

buck nash
08-13-2011, 10:52 PM
If you can get one of the older sylva rangers, you're not gonna find a better compass. The newer sylvas aren't as well made as the older ones though. They were better made before being bought out. The Silva made Brunton Type 15TDCL is an excellent compass. It seems to be equivelent to the old sylva ranger. It has a declination screw, glow in the dark dial and arrow, common scales printed on the body and sighting mirror. Great for serious orienteering but for most trips where I'm fairly familiar with the area, I just use a little keytag compass.

Having a back-up compass is not a bad idea but seems redundant when you're also carrying a gps.

http://jerkingthetrigger.com/blog/2010/09/22/review-brunton-15tdcl-compass/

Phreddy
08-14-2011, 08:26 AM
Just to give an example about 'panic' and of what "Phreddy" is advising.....I have a Brother-in-law that was in very good physical shape that went hunting in the swampy badlands near Prince George a few years ago. Knowing the area, and that he would be hunting in foggy conditions, I advised him to take extra care not to leave well defined pathways, make sure to use a compass, take along a survival pack, and if he does get lost, build a fire and stay put. Well, he saw a moose on the other side of a swamp meadow, so decided to try for it. The moose kept moving from one swamp meadow to another, with my Brother-in-law following, hoping for a shot. After skirting several meadows, he lost it and then realized he had no idea where he was, or what direction to go. He panicked and started running. The more he ran, the more panicked he became, pulling himself through bush and devils club, ripping his clothes, and all the while he kept hearing my advice in his head, but couldn't stop. He had run over 5 miles before he was so tired, all he could do was walk. During this time he kept firing his rifle, but he wouldn't stay put. There were woodsmen in the area. They heard his shots and knew he must be in trouble, but couldn't catch up with him. Fortunately, they knew the area, so raced their truck on roads that brought them ahead of him and were able to save him. If they hadn't been able to get ahead of him, he would have been so far from his hunting area, he likely would have parished before being found. As far as I know, to this day, he hasn't gone hunting again.
You'd be amazed at how many times similar incidents with less fortunate results occur. Like I said, "Stay put!"

Jelvis
08-14-2011, 01:04 PM
Many things affect what you can do if lost or mixed up.
1. weather .. from comfortable early season to extreme fall conditions
2. landscape topography ie. hills, rocks, windfall, slope etc
3. Time of day ... earlier on still lots of light or late and getting darker etc.
4. knowledge of area
5. hands on experience been there b4
6. with another
7. by self
8. courage
9. thoughts
10. actions taken etc.
11. many more variables like this one: Your physical and mental condition....pow
12. have a reliable compass
Jel .. :-D .. wow .. lots to think about ..

geologist
08-29-2011, 01:52 AM
Before you go into the bush, orient yourself so that you know the direction that the main roads are running. generally they parallel the topography. So if the main road runs NE-SW (azimuth 045) and you go hunting NW of the road you know that no matter what, if you walk a line perpendicular to the main road ie. SE or azimuth 135, sooner or later you will hit the main road.

Easy peasy, you just have to orient yourself before setting off and have a compass that works and you know how to use. Chance favours the prepared mind.

Walksalot
08-29-2011, 06:47 AM
I think this site gives you the declination for True North because of the fact you are using lat and long. If you are using the grid lines on the map to navigate with you have to use Grid North which is a tad bit different. It probably would not amount to much if you were traveling a short distance but over a longer distance it can add up to a fair amount of inaccuracy. A course in map reading is a real asset because you read a lat and long reference different than you read a grid reference. Oops, I was trying to quote Davey Crockett's post but something went south.

RoscoeP
08-29-2011, 07:41 AM
Get a GPS unit called BACKTRACKER it marks three points of REF and is a compass, it casts about $70 bucks and is very user friendly.

Bushnell makes these, pretty simple and cheap. Won't do everything a full GPS will do but it will get you back to where you started. Pretty much all hunting/fishing stores now have them. Still would not hurt to carry a compass as backup if you learn to use it. Cheers Roscoe

Hydrojet
08-29-2011, 07:49 AM
Hint, buy the camouflage tape so nobody spots your trails and scoops your spot!

how am I supposed to find the spot again!

The back tracker also has a compass in it. Very easy to use. Only down fall is it only remembers three spots. Saw them at Cascade in chilliwack for 70 some dollars too.

gunsight
08-29-2011, 08:43 AM
somethings i have learned and have trusted in many situations how it will work in you're forest you can check and see if it is the same their first off no you're land marks out here in saskabush no mountain land marks,i use two important things for direction other then compass or gps,our poplars are a lighter color on the south side do to sunlight and moss on spruce is higher on north side exception about moss can be in dense swamps their their is the tendency to be on both sides due to lack of sunlight you're cottonwoods should be the same will check it out this weekend going to quesnel to barry my wifes mother will be their for a while.

Davey Crockett
08-29-2011, 02:18 PM
I think this site gives you the declination for True North because of the fact you are using lat and long. If you are using the grid lines on the map to navigate with you have to use Grid North which is a tad bit different. It probably would not amount to much if you were traveling a short distance but over a longer distance it can add up to a fair amount of inaccuracy. A course in map reading is a real asset because you read a lat and long reference different than you read a grid reference. Oops, I was trying to quote Davey Crockett's post but something went south.

I take it that you are talking about UTM girds and yes they can be slightly off True North, depending how far you are from the boundary of the UTM zone. In my experience, they are usually well within 0.5-2 deg which will not have any appreciable difference for the average user who walks a general compass bearing to get somewhere (i.e. pull out your compass every few hundred meters).