PDA

View Full Version : MURRAY LK. to ANDERSON CRK.

~T-BONE~
09-02-2006, 12:38 PM
We are thinkin of trying this run even though I've never piloted this area before. Has any one made this trip? I've heard its about 80km, but i'm just not sure of the road conditions or if we'll be able to do it with the truck....
Also at what point is the height of land between region 3 and 8, just in case its clouded in and we do this trip before the 10th. Would hate to let a trophy walk away:-? Thanks for any replies

longhairmtnman
09-03-2006, 09:58 AM
T-bone here's what I recall of the area. The road from Hwy 5 to Murray lake is narrow and passable with 2wd. Murray lake is it's own little community. After this, the country opens up nicely. Very pretty in the fall. I've never been up the Maka fsr to Utzillus if that is the way your going, but it looked 4x4 to me.(had 2wd only, it was muddy at the time) Use the spius fsr and no problems. There are tons of spur rds, but the main you should expect logging activity. As for access to sub-alpine, it's not that high in elevation where I went through. I saw more moose than deer! let me know how you make out, I'd be interested to hear.

Steeleco
09-03-2006, 10:54 AM
The Maka creek fsr is not 4wd in this type of weather but it maybe in later fall. There are a few ugly spots that are bumpy but a truck with height should be OK. That said a long wheel base might have trouble on some corners as they are pretty tight.

~T-BONE~
09-03-2006, 11:45 AM
Also at what point is the height of land between region 3 and 8, just in case its clouded in and we do this trip before the 10th. Would hate to let a trophy walk away:-? Thanks for any replies
Disregard this portion of my post I realize its not open as well till the 10th.
Was thinking 3 15......:oops: :oops: :oops:

bighornbob
09-04-2006, 04:44 PM
When I worked in there afew years ago the bridges were pulled across maka creek and the road to the bridge completely deactivated, So you cant go to Anderson creek. That was then it may have changed the last couple of becuase of the forest companies chasing beetle. I would phone Aspen Planers in Merritt and see if the road is open.

BHB

Jelvis
09-04-2006, 05:53 PM
Best mule deer hunting just below summit, on Merritt side, now in MU 3-13 according to the B.C. Pocket book, which is equivalent to a Black Book for a used car dealer.

~T-BONE~
09-04-2006, 06:12 PM
Steady and I traveled down from Murray lk. to Gillis lk. passing the Maka fsr.s (3 in total all heading in westerly directions) coming out at Coldwater crk. ending up on the southeast side of Merrit. From here we went west down the Nicola ending up at Spius crk. Seen lots of Springs and White fish.(But aren't allowed to fish for spring) Also along the river spoted 2 larger Black bears one about 6+ and another around 5 8) Up Spius they call it Prospect crk. which has lots of spurs and will take you to some alpine. Just saw some mulie does 'n' fawns..

Steeleco
09-04-2006, 06:48 PM
The area east of the creek known as Jack Swartz road has been very active for bears each time I've been in there. Just missed a nice chocolate this weekend last fall.