PDA

View Full Version : Stone Sheep for Alberta Residents...

GooseSlammer
08-07-2011, 10:50 AM
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on here, and I haven't had an opportunity to review the BC Hunting Regulations yet (which could take some time!). So I figured I'd ask the "locals" and see what I could learn quickly to get me started...

I'm an Alberta resident and I'm interested in taking a Stone Sheep (possibly next year, depending on tags, etc.) and I'm wondering about the rules for B.C. residents taking out Alberta residents on a non-guided hunt. (I can't recall the BC term for it, but in Alberta we call it something like a "hunter host" license.) Are there good areas for Stone Sheep where this would be permitted?

Secondly, I have seen a debate in the past (in Alberta) about "swapping hunts" and whether or not that would be considered "financial gain" and therefore require regular guiding permits. I live in Southern Alberta and I set up a lot of unbelievable goose hunts every fall. (Canadas and Mallards mainly). I'm hoping to trade off a few days of world class goose hunting in exchange for someone taking me out for a Stone Sheep. It's easy for me to line up a few days of Honkers with their feet down over the decoys, and I'm hoping that an experienced sheep hunter out there might be interested in becoming friends!

Can anyone let me know the details about this sort of a trade off? I know there's nothing ethically wrong with it (it totally makes sense to me) but I want to make sure there aren't any legal issues with putting this sort of thing out there. Does anyone know?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. - the goose hunts I line up every year (lots of them!) are as good as they get, so maybe there's even a guide out there that would like to trade off hunts?

Thanks guys and gals! :-D

Bighorn hunter
08-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Hey Gooseslammer

Stones are not available for a hunter host situation, you would have to talk with a GO and purchase a tag from them

Good luck
BH

Walking Buffalo
08-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on here, and I haven't had an opportunity to review the BC Hunting Regulations yet (which could take some time!). So I figured I'd ask the "locals" and see what I could learn quickly to get me started...

I'm an Alberta resident and I'm interested in taking a Stone Sheep (possibly next year, depending on tags, etc.) and I'm wondering about the rules for B.C. residents taking out Alberta residents on a non-guided hunt. (I can't recall the BC term for it, but in Alberta we call it something like a "hunter host" license.) Are there good areas for Stone Sheep where this would be permitted?

Secondly, I have seen a debate in the past (in Alberta) about "swapping hunts" and whether or not that would be considered "financial gain" and therefore require regular guiding permits. I live in Southern Alberta and I set up a lot of unbelievable goose hunts every fall. (Canadas and Mallards mainly). I'm hoping to trade off a few days of world class goose hunting in exchange for someone taking me out for a Stone Sheep. It's easy for me to line up a few days of Honkers with their feet down over the decoys, and I'm hoping that an experienced sheep hunter out there might be interested in becoming friends!

Can anyone let me know the details about this sort of a trade off? I know there's nothing ethically wrong with it (it totally makes sense to me) but I want to make sure there aren't any legal issues with putting this sort of thing out there. Does anyone know?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. - the goose hunts I line up every year (lots of them!) are as good as they get, so maybe there's even a guide out there that would like to trade off hunts?

Thanks guys and gals! :-D

I'm not sure what you mean by "setting up" hunts. Are you an outfitter?

elkdom
08-07-2011, 11:12 AM
B.C. >( abbreviation for BRING CASH ),,,

approximately $40 thousand,,,,,,,,,,,,,

budismyhorse
08-07-2011, 11:55 AM
No you cannot hunt stones sheep in BC. Sorry.

tread lightly fella, your walking on some pretty thin ice talking about trading hunts with strangers.........

Rackmastr
08-07-2011, 12:25 PM
No you cannot hunt stones sheep in BC. Sorry.

tread lightly fella, your walking on some pretty thin ice talking about trading hunts with strangers.........

x2...but it did give me a good chuckle thinking about a goose/duck hunt swapped for a Stone sheep hunt....

GooseSlammer
08-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Looks like that saves me a lot of reading in the regs...

Just curious about the "tread lightly" comment though. Is that from a legal perspective? All I know is that I want to hunt a Stone Sheep at some point and most guys don't have the kind of goose spreads, etc. that I have. Just thought it would make sense to trade off experience on one side for the other...

Thanks guys.

P.S. - 40K? Really? That's insane....

Walking Buffalo
08-07-2011, 12:59 PM
x2...but it did give me a good chuckle thinking about a goose/duck hunt swapped for a Stone sheep hunt....

Maybe his goose shoots are that good? :mrgreen:

Didn't get an answer to the Outfitter question.... I wonder how the "setting up" is paid for. :wink:

Bear Chaser
08-07-2011, 02:13 PM
A stone sheep hunt for a "few days of world class goose hunting". Besides the legal aspects of this proposal it should be pointed out that world class goose hunting opportunities exist everywhere that there are geese not least of which is the BC Peace region; a few hours drive from the best stone sheep hunting in the world.:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen :

Call of the Wild
08-07-2011, 02:47 PM
A stone sheep hunt for a "few days of world class goose hunting". Besides the legal aspects of this proposal it should be pointed out that world class goose hunting opportunities exist everywhere that there are geese not least of which is the BC Peace region; a few hours drive from the best stone sheep hunting in the world.:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen :

Very funny!!!! Some times I'm amazed at the words used to describe an animal and specially on marginal ones: world class, a monster, a big buck, a one in a life time buck, giant, a freek, a true giant and so on. Like I can judge too if I'll be impressed.

GooseSlammer
08-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Calm down kids... Just trying to get some answers to a straightforward question.

P.S. - No, I'm not a guide. And P.S.S. - My goose shoots ARE that good! :) Also, just for interest's sake, I worked for a waterfowl guide about ten years back for a couple of seasons, and the going rate at that time was about $450 US per day per guy (then $600 Canadian or so) and we had an average of 4-5 guys for 3-5 days. $600 X 4 guys = $2,400 X 4 days = about 10K. Goose guides are expensive too, but there are major cash costs for scouting (fuel), lodging costs, and about 10K in gear if you want to do it well. I'm sure sheep hunting is tough, tough business and I think it would be an awesome experience, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how they justify 40K for 10 days in a tent... (plane costs too, I suppose - but still seems super high to me)

Also, funny enough, that thought of becoming a BC resident crossed my mind, but it's not really worth the hassle to pull the trigger on a few new critters... I'll just put some cash together and wait for a last second cancellation at some point. I'm sure I can find a good deal if the timing is right.

At least that settles the "hunter host" question that I had, which was what I needed to know.

Thanks for the input everyone.

forest walker
08-07-2011, 03:45 PM
Calm down kids... Just trying to get some answers to a straightforward question.

P.S. - No, I'm not a guide. And P.S.S. - My goose shoots ARE that good! :) Also, just for interest's sake, I worked for a waterfowl guide about ten years back for a couple of seasons, and the going rate at that time was about $450 US per day per guy (then $600 Canadian or so) and we had an average of 4-5 guys for 3-5 days. $600 X 4 guys = $2,400 X 4 days = about 10K. Goose guides are expensive too, but there are major cash costs for scouting (fuel), lodging costs, and about 10K in gear if you want to do it well. I'm sure sheep hunting is tough, tough business and I think it would be an awesome experience, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how they justify 40K for 10 days in a tent... (plane costs too, I suppose - but still seems super high to me)

Also, funny enough, that thought of becoming a BC resident crossed my mind, but it's not really worth the hassle to pull the trigger on a few new critters... I'll just put some cash together and wait for a last second cancellation at some point. I'm sure I can find a good deal if the timing is right.

At least that settles the "hunter host" question that I had, which was what I needed to know.

Thanks for the input everyone.
I am still confused gooseslammer. Are you saying for me to hunt with you for a day you would only cost $450 a day? I may be interested in that. It seems like you know what your doing and I would love a good goose hunt or 2. Let me know what you would charge me

Gateholio
08-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Sheep hunts cost lots of $$$ because of demand. Or, "what the market will bear" :)

Depending on how the economy goes for the next few years, we may see the demand dwindle.

hawken
08-07-2011, 05:05 PM
I am still confused gooseslammer. Are you saying for me to hunt with you for a day you would only cost $450 a day? I may be interested in that. It seems like you know what your doing and I would love a good goose hunt or 2. Let me know what you would charge me

Going Fishing?

Darksith
08-07-2011, 06:53 PM

haha, perfect

Moose Guide
08-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Christina falls Outfitters does a stone hunt for $12,000 plus a license $180+sheep tag$680+$10,000 trophy fee

dana
08-07-2011, 07:53 PM
If he were an Alta goose guide, maybe he should contact some BC stone outfitters and see if they would be willing to do a trade. :)

Eljaih
08-08-2011, 09:36 AM
Gooseslammer, The answer to your question can be found at the Province of B.C. website and checking out the Permit Aithorization Bureau. Find the "Application to Accompany Non-resident/Alien While Hunting Big Game In British Columbia."
The following is from the Application form:

APPLICANTS MAY ACCOMPANY EITHER OR BOTH:
a) a non-resident - a person who is not a resident of British Columbia but who
(i) is a Canadian Citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, OR
(ii) has his/her sole or permanent resident in Canada and has resided in Canada for the 12 month period immediately prior to the
date of this application.

b) a non resident alien (a person who is neither a resident nor a non resident) whose relationship to the applicant falls within the
following categories: father, brother, son, uncle, nephew, grandson, grandfather, mother, sister, daughter, aunt, niece,
granddaughter, grandmother, spouse, father-in-law, mother-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-

mountainman
08-08-2011, 02:01 PM
Going Fishing?
Actually in Alberta anyone can pick up a Waterfowl Guide license for cheap. There are no areas per say but some of the big guide outfits do wrap up access very quick every year.

1/2 slam
08-08-2011, 02:07 PM
Gooseslammer, The answer to your question can be found at the Province of B.C. website and checking out the Permit Aithorization Bureau. Find the "Application to Accompany Non-resident/Alien While Hunting Big Game In British Columbia."
The following is from the Application form:

APPLICANTS MAY ACCOMPANY EITHER OR BOTH:
a) a non-resident - a person who is not a resident of British Columbia but who
(i) is a Canadian Citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, OR
(ii) has his/her sole or permanent resident in Canada and has resided in Canada for the 12 month period immediately prior to the
date of this application.

b) a non resident alien (a person who is neither a resident nor a non resident) whose relationship to the applicant falls within the
following categories: father, brother, son, uncle, nephew, grandson, grandfather, mother, sister, daughter, aunt, niece,
granddaughter, grandmother, spouse, father-in-law, mother-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-

Sorry. NOT for Stone sheep. Guide/Outfitter is the only option. Other than moving here.

Rackmastr
08-08-2011, 02:27 PM
Actually in Alberta anyone can pick up a Waterfowl Guide license for cheap. There are no areas per say but some of the big guide outfits do wrap up access very quick every year.

Things have changed in recent years and there are now 'areas' for Bird Outfitters in Alberta. They are managed by APOS and its seperated by WMU. They did it in an attempt to stop over-crowding in certain areas and although there are numberous outfitters in some areas, there are restrictions on selling areas, new outfitters hunting the areas, etc. I think the ultimate goal they were looking for is 4 outfitters per WMU. I dont have all the details but things have changed in recent years.

forest walker
08-08-2011, 02:57 PM
It's all been done now Rack. 4 in every area now. Used to be 4 areas per outfitt as well till last year. I have 10 or 11 now and have tied up a few zones with more than 1 allocation in those zone. It saves a lot of hassle for me this way!

Rackmastr
08-08-2011, 03:05 PM
It's all been done now Rack. 4 in every area now. Used to be 4 areas per outfitt as well till last year. I have 10 or 11 now and have tied up a few zones with more than 1 allocation in those zone. It saves a lot of hassle for me this way!

Ya I knew they had the auction and had sorted out a lot of the zones, figured the date had passed that they had it down to 4. Either way was mainly just posting for mountainman so he had a brief explanation.

Robert
08-08-2011, 03:31 PM
The "Accompany to Hunt" application and "Accomapany to Hunt -Report/Declaration" application both specify Mountain Sheep and the roayalty fee is $250. The applictaions, tags, and licences will run you about $700.00. As for as I know a Canadian citizen in the company of a BC hunter can hunt sheep, all species are listed on the form, so you dont need to hire a Guide Outfitter at $40,000.

If any body has information that says different please provide the whereabouts...

whitetailsheds
08-08-2011, 03:44 PM
The "Accompany to Hunt" application and "Accomapany to Hunt -Report/Declaration" application both specify Mountain Sheep and the roayalty fee is $250. The applictaions, tags, and licences will run you about $700.00. As for as I know a Canadian citizen in the company of a BC hunter can hunt sheep, all species are listed on the form, so you dont need to hire a Guide Outfitter at $40,000.

If any body has information that says different please provide the whereabouts...

Yes it does. Applied several times over the last 20 years. Never had it granted. Everything else in terms of tags....they pretty much do.
Finding it in writing as you request Robert is another thing.....never seen it in print. But I do know they don't grant the tag.

Deaddog
08-08-2011, 03:50 PM
4Permits to Accompany may not be available
for all species and areas (for example,
thinhorn sheep). Please contact the Permit
and Authorization Service Bureau toll free at
1-866-433-7272 (Victoria: 250-387-2928) for
more information.
4Royalties are payable

yukon john
08-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Christina falls Outfitters does a stone hunt for $12,000 plus a license $180+sheep tag$680+$10,000 trophy fee

and the last ram they killed was 5 years ago

Moose Guide
08-08-2011, 05:11 PM
and the last ram they killed was 5 years ago

Then they must be over run with them by now:)

elkdom
08-08-2011, 05:52 PM

lol, good luck with that !(non resident accompanied BC sheep hunt)

for non-residents of BC, the only way! is to PAY a BC Licensed Guide Outfitter with allocation of those species

ps; same deal for Grizzly, NO non resident accompanied hunt for BC G Bears

JAGRMEISTER
08-17-2011, 07:13 AM
Simple! You are young, move to BC for a few yrs to get your rams!