PDA

View Full Version : Pack Alarm

rcar
08-07-2011, 09:38 AM
Has anyone used anything like this and has anyone seen it available for sale here in Canada?

http://www.packalarm.net/

I will be heading into grizzly country solo and thought this might give me a few extra seconds if a bear decided to head into my tent. After reading the story of Brambles & Rattlers grizzly experience I thought it prudent to take a few precautions.

KB90
08-07-2011, 10:22 AM
Looks Pretty cool

http://www.youtube.com/user/msk1310msk1310

Bear Chaser
08-07-2011, 10:38 AM
8 ounces and 50 bucks shipped looks pretty good to me.

The Silent Stalker
08-07-2011, 10:37 PM
Wow, that would not be a bad investment for camp at all. That would sure help you sleep when your alone, or even with other people. Looks like a good deal.

high and to the right
08-08-2011, 04:13 PM
I phoned the guy (Tom) today to talk about his invention. I'm heading north on Friday (Moose and Griz hunt starting Aug 15) and he said he would send it priority so I get it by Thursday. He used to live in Alaska and two of his friends were killed when a Griz attacked their tent in the middle of the night. He had experimented with all kinds of inventions but nothing worked that well until he was fishing with someone and discovered the tough, thin slippery line used by his partner that seemed to glide through anything. Sooooo I decided to get one for those times I use a tent in my spike camp. At base camp I have a trailer but I may try putting it around the hanging quarters. I've fed enough bears with my good meat in the past.

beni
08-08-2011, 04:54 PM
Very cool idea, would be good investment for anyone spending nights in the bush

Ry151
08-12-2011, 01:15 AM
An old timer helicopter pilot told me once that when they slept in tents in grizz country that they would rub bacon grease on a spry can and then they would through it in the bushes. He said they never had problems after that.

fearnodeer
08-12-2011, 06:05 AM
Thats a great invention

The Dude
08-12-2011, 06:20 AM
:wink: Maybe Lip Ripper would like one for his garbage cans...........

4ptbuck
08-12-2011, 10:25 AM
it kinda reminds me of the old laptop security devices.
It had a cable that you loop around something. Vibrations would set it off. Screamed like the dickens.

Coming_out_heavy.
08-12-2011, 01:34 PM
Nothing wrong with that, wow. Might make it tough to have a dog in camp but it looks like it has its place.

Stresd
08-12-2011, 02:38 PM
Dirt cheap at that price, so I ordered one to try out. Figured if nothing else, at the very least. I could use it to train my dog to keep out of the garden.:lol:

ThinAir
08-13-2011, 07:58 PM
Well....another "why didn't i think of that" piece of equipment I NEED!

Ride Red
08-13-2011, 08:22 PM
I know some old time hunters who hunt up Dease Lake every year. They use the portable jogger alarms around their camp and meat poles. They're 130 decible and have had good success with them. When they walk they have them on their jackets. There's a tether that attaches to your jacket, then pull the unit from the tether and toss on the ground and start backing up. So far they have been good for them.

alberta hunter
08-19-2011, 10:00 PM
I pack a few little solar light to put around my tent area, they were only 2.00 each and give enough light to see 20 yards away

BCsniper
08-19-2011, 11:42 PM
Looks like a great invention and definitely worth the try. If any of you guys have it arrive - write a review so the rest of us know your thoughts, although with the season fast approaching - looks like $50.00 is well worth the investment to try it out.

todbartell
08-19-2011, 11:53 PM
bunch of women on here or what? :D maybe get a night light and an extra blankey

Jagermeister
08-20-2011, 12:43 AM
bunch of women on here or what? :D maybe get a night light and an extra blankeyI remember a LML guy that hunted the Ft St James area frequently. One day he gets tagged by a grizzly, It has him on his back and in his words, "It was plucking my stomach muscles like guitar strings......." He ended up killing the bear by stabbing it in the neck with his knife. He said he was never going to go hunting again. Now I don't know whether he did or not. And in this case a pack alarm would have done him no good.
We all know about the encounter that Brambles and his partner had. In their case, the PackAlarm probably would have given them ample warning of intrusion. Depending on how much perimeter they would have set out would have determined how much advance warning they would have received.
Nobody ever expects an attack, but having a warning device would definitely give one a greater sense of security than not having one at all. Being woken up by a grizzly pouncing on you is not my idea of a wake up call.
PackAlarm, solar lights, good to go.
Call me an old woman if you want, but I want to be around for a while longer.
FYI, bought one. Where I'm going, apparently there is an abundance of grizz. Hopefully I will be able to sleep with one eye open instead of two and better still, I will not have a first hand experience review to report.

Ron.C
08-20-2011, 01:34 AM
Looks like an excellent piece of kit to me. Inexpensive and compact. If I was hunting this year, I'd be buying one for sure. I look fwd to hearing some feedback from you guys that do pick one up and try it on a pack in hunt.

Stresd
08-20-2011, 07:43 AM
Looks like an excellent piece of kit to me. Inexpensive and compact. If I was hunting this year, I'd be buying one for sure. I look fwd to hearing some feedback from you guys that do pick one up and try it on a pack in hunt.

I picked one up too and it arrived the other day.. Definitely small and light enough to throw in your pack. Alarm is good and loud. Be interesting to see how the trip line holds up as it is very light. Set it out in a straight line across the back of my shop (40'). Buddy triggered it when he walked in though the back. Scared the shiit out of him when it went off. Without actually trying it in a camp yet it looks like it should work quite well.

fearnodeer
08-20-2011, 08:00 AM
Just ordered on myself, will work great around a game pole at camp if no ones around.

bccanadian
04-01-2012, 05:42 PM
I'm not in the market for one right now but I definitely will be getting one before the summer gets here. It's a great idea.

Moose Guide
04-01-2012, 06:06 PM
Get used to getting up several times a night to defend yourself from man eating deer, elk, squirrels, moose or whatever! If it starts to rain will rain drops set it off? Will a branch waving in the wind set itoff every 6 minutes or so? That would make for a restful night!

rcar
04-02-2012, 12:49 PM
Get used to getting up several times a night to defend yourself from man eating deer, elk, squirrels, moose or whatever! If it starts to rain will rain drops set it off? Will a branch waving in the wind set itoff every 6 minutes or so? That would make for a restful night!

When I first started reading your post I thought you were relaying your experience and what a person can expect with the unit but it seems more like questions/criticisms on something you have not used??

I have used this unit only once on a 5 day trip in Grizz country. The peace of mind sure helped me sleep at least a bit better.

The alarm will go off when the trip wire is hit and indeed that can be the dreaded man eating deer or elk but since it is set around knee high small animals won't trip it. Rain won't trip it. Waving branches won't trip it. A sleepy camper heading out for a wizz sure will though! As long as you set it up properly it should function as advertised. At least that was my experience last fall.

vortex hunter
04-02-2012, 12:55 PM
I bought One from a fellow off here best money ever spent EASY TO USE ... I will sleep better hunting ALONE

swampthing
04-02-2012, 08:12 PM
If you hunt with a partner you can save yourself some money. Just as he starts to snore you yell "hey, what was that!!!!". At this point you roll over and have a good night sleep because your partner is now well awake and will be listening intently all night long.

argyle1
04-15-2012, 09:27 PM
I tried to buy one of these some time ago, but the dealer didn't seem to want to return my e-mails , so I checked ebay----I bought 10 similar alarms from a guy in Israel, and they all work awsome, for $10 each, frieght in .
just checked and they are still on ebay

bucket
09-21-2012, 07:08 PM
Solar lights ? What's the method there ?

I remember a LML guy that hunted the Ft St James area frequently. One day he gets tagged by a grizzly, It has him on his back and in his words, "It was plucking my stomach muscles like guitar strings......." He ended up killing the bear by stabbing it in the neck with his knife. He said he was never going to go hunting again. Now I don't know whether he did or not. And in this case a pack alarm would have done him no good.
We all know about the encounter that Brambles and his partner had. In their case, the PackAlarm probably would have given them ample warning of intrusion. Depending on how much perimeter they would have set out would have determined how much advance warning they would have received.
Nobody ever expects an attack, but having a warning device would definitely give one a greater sense of security than not having one at all. Being woken up by a grizzly pouncing on you is not my idea of a wake up call.
PackAlarm, solar lights, good to go.
Call me an old woman if you want, but I want to be around for a while longer.
FYI, bought one. Where I'm going, apparently there is an abundance of grizz. Hopefully I will be able to sleep with one eye open instead of two and better still, I will not have a first hand experience review to report.

argyle1
09-25-2012, 09:44 PM
$10 on ebay---i bought 5---different name but they work well--look under personal alarms