PDA

View Full Version : Back pack size

new hunter
08-06-2011, 08:27 AM
I'm looking forward to doing some high country mule deer hunting this season and am wanderinghow big a pack I need .
I have a 65 litre mckinley overnight column pack I use for backpacking {top load } and am wandering if that would be big enough to haul out a deer {I hunt solo } or if I should move up to a 70 or 75 . I don't really intend on hunting overnight so my bag only carries some survival gear and room for clothes {field jacket , wet weather pants , spare socks , room for gloves and belaclava }.
I also carry lunch , to bottles of water , some rope and a sili tarp , my bag is usually 1/3 to 1/2 half full and I figure I can hang stuff off the bag if need be .
What would the Ideal size and configuration for a hunting pack be ? I've already blown my budget this year so if I buy anything it will probably be in the hundred dollar range {M.E.C.}.

dutchie
08-06-2011, 09:00 AM
it is plenty big. Probably not going to be the most comfortable tho... packing a deer out that is.

Just know how de-bone and cape properly and there will be no issues.

If you were extending the trip over any longer a period I would recommend something larger.

Dutchie

PS - If you want to buy a Pack from M.E.C..... just know that you will be putting money into the banks of a anti-hunting organization.

new hunter
08-06-2011, 11:03 AM
I thought we all had a long discussion about mec and anti hunting and had come up inconclusive .
Either way thanks for the info , and I'll probably buy my bag from cabellas , it just sucks not being able to try it on first {I would prefer cabellas as it is the same price range and the products are designed for hunting and not backpacking }

springpin
08-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Also check out BassPro Shop. They have a nice pack called the Redhead Spike camp. The pack frame is composite, and the bag is about 116 liters, super comfortable. I was going to buy an Ebrlestock pack, but bought this one instead. I've loaded it with 70lbs of weight, and you don't even notice it. The pack will be great for multiday and day trips.

rollingrock
08-06-2011, 11:40 AM
I think 65L is large enough. It's the design and the set up of the pack that matters.

new hunter
08-06-2011, 02:00 PM
The mckinley is somewhat lacking in pockets , but I've found that if I use my imagination a bit it does just fine for backpacking with the wife .
When we go out I try to carry 60 to 70% of our gear {as much of the heaviest stuff that I can get in before she notices and feels guilty } , and when back packinfg with her theres always alot of crap { too much wet food , never mres , and more pots and pans than I'd care for } .
I guess if it has been fine for that , and the concensus has been that 65litres is fine , I won't rush out to buy anything bigger.

longstonec
08-06-2011, 03:12 PM
Packed a deboned blacktail out in my raincoat last year... dosent work that well. but your 65L pack should have lots of room as long as you dont have the kitchen sink in their also... Camel back bladders for water are great as when they are empty they take up no room. if anything keep your pack and scrap the water bottles and carry a couple camel back bladders. The only drawback to them in my opinion is when the hose freezes and you cant drink.

Iron Sighted
08-07-2011, 08:29 PM
You can buy 1 litre Platypus collapsible water bottles(other companies probably make them too), they are similar to a Camel Back type bladder in that they can be squished down to nothing when empty and are much lighter than standard type water bottles, these are all I use now when backpacking, though I will probably buy a 3 litre bladder for my Eberlestock pack as it is designed to hold one, then I can drink while on the move.

dutchie
08-07-2011, 09:32 PM
I thought we all had a long discussion about mec and anti hunting and had come up inconclusive .
Either way thanks for the info , and I'll probably buy my bag from cabellas , it just sucks not being able to try it on first {I would prefer cabellas as it is the same price range and the products are designed for hunting and not backpacking }

If you ever go into a MEC look at the big board in the front of any of them that has the "endangered species list" then look at the " Mec Supports The David Suzuki Foundation to stop hunting these sensitive animals.... Donate NOW!"

I was given a $200 gift certificate and I was not going to let MEC keep the money without me getting something from it. That is the last time I stepped foot in that door. But I spoke up because they were focused on Bighorn sheep, and Grizzlies. They then asked me to leave... My mom accidentally took a petition with about 500 signatures to stop hunting... it was awesome but then she realized she did it and asked some person to bring it back inside.

They are a Anti-hunting

Dutchie

new hunter
08-07-2011, 10:00 PM
Thanx dutchie , a first person experience is one thing I will take as proof over opinion .
It's a shame they feel that way , I always liked mec for there eforts to preserve some of my local hiking areas which have been under threat , as well as theyre efforts to support families in the outdoors {only place I know of that sells childrens hiking gear } , and of course their prices .
Hopefully they reevalluate theyre position on hunting , I can support not hunting endangered species , but not when the efforts are based solely on popular opinion like the effort to ban the grizzly hunt .
Incidentally , has a anyone seen the movie "the last trapper " . It was a terrible movie , but it was made by the world wildlife fund and was about how human hunting and trapping plays an integral role in balancing wild animal populations and how if we stop hunting nature will go out of balance . Not a theory I personally suscribe to , but it was kind of odd to hear coming from the wwf .