PDA

View Full Version : The bull river

mikeboehm
08-04-2011, 11:11 PM
Me, rectifier,and seanfallory are going up the bull river to hunt for the 9 day bow hunt. Weve never been there. Just wondering the conditions up there. Maybe some tips. Just wondering if its a good place to bow hunt. Maybe a goog place to camp and set up a couple wall tents.

hunter1947
08-05-2011, 01:37 AM
Me, rectifier,and seanfallory are going up the bull river to hunt for the 9 day bow hunt. Weve never been there. Just wondering the conditions up there. Maybe some tips. Just wondering if its a good place to bow hunt. Maybe a goog place to camp and set up a couple wall tents.

I just was up at the bull river drainage at the 77k mark on Wed this week thats where they are logging ,I went for a ride in a logging truck they have 21 trucks hauling steady up there 7 days a week the road is very narrow in places so you should have a radio in your truck so you know where they are ,you would not catch me in there without a radio.

Mikey Rafiki
08-05-2011, 09:13 AM
The best places to camp are all along the river, just off the main road. I imagine there could be a few poppin' up already. There will be a lot of competition out there so I usually stay off the beaten track. I got a spot lower down where I wade accross the river, but you want a few guys with you on that pack out.

Just spend a lot of time glassing, and once you spot a good group make a move. If the warm temps stay the bulls will be higher up in the creeks keeping cool.

And good advice by Wayne, there are some tight spots in the 30k's where you don't want to run into a loaded truck.

Bigbear
08-05-2011, 09:39 AM
I would Head Up the Wild horse Instead. alot more quieter, and some good Elk. Lots of places to set up camp.

dmace
08-05-2011, 09:58 AM
Make sure you check , high up in the slides ,

bozzdrywall
08-05-2011, 10:28 AM
The wild horse is a great spot lots of elk up there. Better bring good boots the bulls will be high this year. The bull river is also a good spot there is lots of country but also lots of hunters as well. One thing to remember in these areas there is a ton of G bears so be careful and pack protection if you can. Best of luck to you pm me and I can tell you a little more than Iam willing to post.

Husky7mm
08-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Just wing-it and "get in were you fit in" cause that is how it is. Remember there is no cow season above 1100 mt period. So many people seem to miss this. And bring bear spray.

The Hermit
08-05-2011, 10:54 AM
Yeah bear spray and a shotgun with slugs!

mikeboehm
08-05-2011, 12:16 PM
I have 3 cans of bear spray an my remington 870 with 12.5" bArrel

Husky7mm
08-05-2011, 01:11 PM
How does a dead bear feel about being sprayed with pepper spray?;-)

trapperRick
08-05-2011, 03:16 PM
I would pick the Wild Horse less traffic, good Elk and some grouse for lunch, take the 12 g for bear and pepper spray for seasoning

mikeboehm
08-05-2011, 03:39 PM
Where is the wild horse

happyhunter
08-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Where is the wild horse

Depends on which way your coming from but if you turn onto the wardner/ft steele rd off hwy 95 by the esso, the wildhorse will be the first fsr on the left. Lots of bugs out this year.

hunter1947
08-06-2011, 01:57 AM
I agree that the wild horse has a lot less pressure I was way back in the back end of the wild horse drainage about 5 years ago and only saw a handful of hunters I liked the big burn back there it makes it good for glassing and if you do go up there for your hunt keep an eye on the slides on your right lots of glassing..

Husky7mm
08-06-2011, 09:57 AM
Dont kid your self, lots of hunters and camps up the wild horse, some camps stay half the season, also a G.O. territory.

Weatherby Fan
08-06-2011, 10:40 AM
Can you take the Wildhorse FSR and get through onto the Bull River rd ?

Husky7mm
08-06-2011, 11:00 AM
Not by vehicle. By foot though the bush. An old road goes thought to top of the world park, which joins into the lussier, by foot.

Weatherby Fan
08-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Not by vehicle. By foot though the bush. An old road goes thought to top of the world park, which joins into the lussier, by foot.
Husky 7mm thanks for that as thats what I thought,we hiked in that way from the Galbraith Creek side a few years back.
WF

Bobfl
08-06-2011, 11:59 AM
Be careful lots of grizzly, I'v hunted there before ,lots of competition. The two mauled in there tent in 2009 where camped down from me. I would request do not sleep in a tent or store your game close to your sleeping quarters

Weatherby Fan
08-06-2011, 12:10 PM
[QUOTE=Bobfl;957950]Be careful lots of grizzly, I'v hunted there before ,lots of competition. The two mauled in there tent in 2009 where camped down from me. I would request do not sleep in a tent or store your game close to your sleeping quarters[/QU

We have found the same thing,lots of grizzly all over up there,best be on your toes for sure.

Husky7mm
08-06-2011, 03:52 PM
An increase in problems with g bear every year. You dont even know how many shoot shovel and shut up incidents have happen as of late, as well as what is reported. Bears and bear problems, but we better axe the leh tags:roll: because we have reach the maximum harvest. Perhaps someone has to get killed first:icon_frow:???:

mikeboehm
08-07-2011, 12:23 AM
Is there any vehicle restrictions on the bull river or wild horse fsr

hunter1947
08-07-2011, 03:15 AM
An increase in problems with g bear every year. You dont even know how many shoot shovel and shut up incidents have happen as of late, as well as what is reported. Bears and bear problems, but we better axe the leh tags:roll: because we have reach the maximum harvest. Perhaps someone has to get killed first:icon_frow:???:

This is a little off this subject but I put in for LEH Grizzly bear in this region and found out later that they caned the LEH in this region 4-22 because there where a few sows shot out of season this is what I heard not sure

bayou
08-07-2011, 07:14 AM

Do you know how many shoot shovel and shut up incidents have happened of late, and do you agree with this kind of practice. You make it sound like you have first hand knowledge of this.

budismyhorse
08-07-2011, 09:22 AM
If you are a bow hunter and want to try and get to know the area pretty much chalk this trip up to learning. Don't hunt where the crowds are....and oh yeah, pull out a map and the regs regarding access and closures. Don't rely on secOnd hand info.

Side note.... There are goid elk in every valley in the east koots..... But everyone hounds the bull ......spread out ffsakes. The largest elk in the east kooks are in the st Mary..... A huge valley you can spread out in hunt hard and have a way more enjoyable trip..... But it's tougher to access so everyone flocks to the poor easy access bull.

budismyhorse
08-07-2011, 09:27 AM
My advice.....of living here for 30 years....if you are coming from the LML..... Do yourself a favor and research another spot with less hunters gonging around.... You will have all the elk opportunity you can handle and less stress. Pm me if you like...., I'm picturing the bill right now for you and it will be a mess this year....... And that goes for the tiny wildhorse.

BlacktailStalker
08-07-2011, 09:48 AM
Do yourself a favor and research another spot with less hunters gonging around.... You will have all the elk opportunity you can handle and less stress.

Every elk hunters dream !

ELKOHOLICBC
08-07-2011, 09:50 AM
The bull river is a good spot but as everyone says very busy and lots of Grizz. You better be a good caller and willing to put some miles on to get to these bulls (its steep and thick). Also you better be with a crew that can pack them out especially the bow season with the heat,it would suck to loose one.I know of 6 road closures in there and the GOs hunt these closures pretty hard. You have to find your own little hidden holes and they change every season if the bulls are in them or not due to pressure and what the weather conditions have been. It took me quite a few years lots of good advice and tips from my hunting crew and lots of miles to find some good hidden holes. Great spot but as everyone says there are better and worse. Just pick at spot in the EKs and stick with it until you figure it out. Good luck. Also as wayne says if thier hauling that much a must to have a radio in there.

mikeboehm
08-09-2011, 07:54 AM
Also antlerless elk are open with bow in zone 4-3X

bforce750
08-09-2011, 08:27 AM
Do you know how many shoot shovel and shut up incidents have happened of late, and do you agree with this kind of practice. You make it sound like you have first hand knowledge of this.

Pretty DUMB question, I dont think anyone would agree with this practice...correct me if I'm wrong but I beleive the count for sows shot in the last two years was over 30

bforce750
08-09-2011, 08:29 AM
Also antlerless elk are open with bow in zone 4-3X

All Of zone X actually and it ranges from m moyie lk pretty much to canal flats and south to newgate all below 1100 meters

aggiehunter
08-09-2011, 06:11 PM
And those grizz have definitely figured out when to head for Zone X....bow season!

bayou
08-09-2011, 08:23 PM
Pretty DUMB question, I dont think anyone would agree with this practice...correct me if I'm wrong but I beleive the count for sows shot in the last two years was over 30

Its said to be used on this site quit a few times even some moderators on here have said to do it on more then one occasion, and by the amount of animals found left in the bush it seems some practice this.

Husky7mm
08-10-2011, 12:10 PM
People blab and but I'm not a rat. What are you implying? There are lots of bones in the bush. There wouldn't be lots of bear problems if there weren't lots of bears!

The Dude
08-10-2011, 12:39 PM
No Elk in 4-3.
No Elk in 4-22.
Move on, folks, nothing to see here............. :D

rocksteady
08-10-2011, 12:48 PM
In the Picture Valley area, below the Steeples, from Fort Steele down to about Jaffray, there has been a sow grizz, who each year comes into the area during bow season to take some elk from hunters. She has taught her cubs this feeding tactic as well....She then stays there all of rifle season...

Last fall there were 6 different grizzlies (mom and a couple of her sets of cubs) in this area scaring hunters off their kills. 2 of them were shot by hunters allegedly as a last resort, when the bear charged......The CO's were involved in these incidents, I do not know the outcome (validated or charged by CO)

She has learned that this is an efficient way to feed and she has taught her cubs....Too bad that the bears end up being killed....Can't we all just get along ????

hunter1947
08-10-2011, 03:18 PM
When and if you do hunt up the bull river and you do drop a bull elk or other get the animal out of the kill zone ASAP or you might loose it to a grizzly.

I was up there today for a logging truck ride and the truckers saw two grizzlies on the road yesterday when they where hauling down there loads from up at the 77k mark..

ravensfoot
08-11-2011, 12:07 PM
Been up to Bull river 3 times now and even though I hunt the bush I saw way more hunters than game. If you think you hear a bull calling, think again, it is more than likely another hunter. However, you really can tell the difference, not many people put in the time to practice, it really is amusing to hear all that human bugling going on in the bush. Find the roads that no longer have road access (Lime creek and south of Van Creek) get in and hike. Warm weather, they're up high.