PDA

View Full Version : i have a question ?

wsm
08-04-2011, 08:56 AM
Is there, or is there not a definite difference between buck and doe tracks? If there is what is that difference? thx in advance

Steeleco
08-04-2011, 09:19 AM
If you can see all four, the front feet on a buck will be wider apart then the back, the reverse is true for does. For me if you've only one or two the size and depth can be a good indicator, but not a sure thing. It could be a large doe or a mid sized buck. Hopefully we can both learn something from your question?

Mikey Rafiki
08-04-2011, 09:22 AM
If they have the same size hoof they will leave the same track. Bigger, heavier animals leave bigger tracks, and since bucks are generally larger they are more likely to be leaving the larger tracks. I have heard that bucks are more likely to leave dew claw marks on their tracks, but that falls in the same line as bigger deer leaving bigger, deeper tracks.

The width between the tracks as mentioned above is also a good indicator.

08-04-2011, 09:53 AM
In the Rut you can see their due claws as well. Bucks tend to prance around.

Weatherby Fan
08-04-2011, 10:01 AM
David Long states that track size is not always a good indicator of the size of the buck that left them,but says if you find a track over 3 inches in length you should start paying attention to the deer that made them !

steel_ram
08-04-2011, 10:35 AM
There is no definitive difference. Just indicators.

Barracuda
08-04-2011, 10:57 AM
if the tracks appear to be made by a six legged deer then it is a buck and a doe:-D

other then that i can only guesstimate the sex ive seen huge does and tiny bucks so even track size,depth or dews isnt a real indicater it seems

Bow Walker
08-04-2011, 10:59 AM
I was always under the impression (and taught) that buck tracks were larger (obviously) and also the two parts of the hoof print were not "pigeon-toed" as is the case in the female tracks.

Buck hoof prints were more parallel to each other (the two parts) as opposed to those of does, which tend to pinch in at the front. Also buck tracks were supposed to be blunt at the tips - doe tracks were supposed to be sharper at the tips.

This is what I was taught, anyway. I await any enlightenment....

Barracuda
08-04-2011, 11:07 AM
i was told pretty much the same thing but even seeing the deer and walking up to where they have been standing the tracks left no clear indicaters of sex.
perhaps my eyes cant pick out the subtle clues ? I would love to know exactly what to look for.

08-04-2011, 11:18 AM
I was always under the impression (and taught) that buck tracks were larger (obviously) and also the two parts of the hoof print were not "pigeon-toed" as is the case in the female tracks.

Buck hoof prints were more parallel to each other (the two parts) as opposed to those of does, which tend to pinch in at the front. Also buck tracks were supposed to be blunt at the tips - doe tracks were supposed to be sharper at the tips.

This is what I was taught, anyway. I await any enlightenment....

Me too,
When i look at a track now i couldnt tell you what i see, just look at it and think nice buck, small buck And doe.

But you can tell difinitavly by their crap. Buck crap has the prostate dimple in it and doe crap doesnt.

huntcoop
08-04-2011, 11:45 AM
I was always taught that a buck track had the dew claws showing.....but I've heard other theories as well.

http://thejump.net/albums/Bukmastr/Img_0525.jpg

brig
08-04-2011, 12:07 PM
I've followed tracks with dew claws clearly showing and ended up finding does on several occasions, so I don't think you can use that as a reliable sign for a buck.

08-04-2011, 12:19 PM
Alot of the "Splayed" Hoof thing is ground type as well if its in mud or on the road. These all change the track id somewhat, waether the animal was walking or running etc. Thats why it isnt as simpls as it sounds.

wsm
08-04-2011, 02:07 PM
after reading through this thread it seams there is no perfect answer. but any constructive comments are welcome . there has been a lot of things already said that make sense .thank you for your help . please keep em coming

huntcoop
08-04-2011, 02:12 PM
There is no definitive difference. Just indicators.

I think this is the best answer, so far.

Darksith
08-04-2011, 02:59 PM
I have heard that if in a bit of snow, and you see the deer draggin its feet a bit, that is usually a tired buck with his head down sniffing for a doe in heat.

Pre '64
08-05-2011, 08:54 AM
I have spent many days over the years tracking whitetails in the snow and here are some of the things I've noticed. This only applies to snow tracking.
1. As Steeleco mentioned, a big buck, not a small buck, will have a wide chest and there will be sort of two strings of tracks where a doe has more of a tendency to walk with feet together and the track is more like a single line. After a while you can spot a big wide chested buck by this feature alone.
2. When a buck pisses the urine dribbles and is spread along a line in the snow. A doe squats and it's all in one place.
3. In thick woods a buck with a good rack will avoid going under bushes and will walk in more open areas where the racks doesn't get caught up in stuff. A doe will duck under anything. you will see the buck go around things more. If it's open country then this wouldn't apply.
4.An older buck will drag his hoofs when the snow is only like 2 inches deep especially in the rut when they are tired from running does. A doe picks her feet up more and doesn't leave the marks unless the snow gets deep.
5.If he's feeding you will sometimes see the impression of a bucks rack in the snow if the snow is deeper than 6 inches. maybe just one antler and you can miss this as it may only be 2-3 inches long in the snow.
6. If the deer is walking and the dew claws and very evident and the foot is splayed then it's an indication it is an old, heavy buck. If the tracks are running then they all show dew claw marks and will be splayed outward.

Some does have big feet, I tracked what I thought was a good buck for 3 hours and was having second thoughts when I saw the deer going under a lot of brush. Soon I saw her bedded on a little ridge and she jumped up and took off. 3 hours wasted. she was a huge doe.

wsm
08-05-2011, 09:16 AM
Some does have big feet, I tracked what I thought was a good buck for 3 hours and was having second thoughts when I saw the deer going under a lot of brush. Soon I saw her bedded on a little ridge and she jumped up and took off. 3 hours wasted. she was a huge doe... i had a similar experience. hence why i asked the question

moose2
08-05-2011, 09:23 AM
I have heard that if in a bit of snow, and you see the deer draggin its feet a bit, that is usually a tired buck with his head down sniffing for a doe in heat.

Good point Darksith this is what I look for when snow tracking bucks. It is a good indication that your following a buck and the lines created by this hoof drag are easy to follow even when the trail gets mixed up with other tracks. Another advantage to this is the buck may be tired and moving more slowly than normal, and he will stop to check out any does slowing him more. Splayed hooves with dew claws showing may just indicate a running deer( buck or doe ) its not a for sure thing. A good way to learn some things that might help is homework. Watch a doe leave or small buck running or walking and go check the tracks do the same if you spook a big one. If you do this enough times you might get an idea what to look for and know if there are any common diferences. In the snow urine as mentioned helps id them as well , during the rut its common for does to have traces of blood in thier piss as well.
Mike

moose2
08-05-2011, 09:29 AM
To add a bit to pre 64's great post. When hunting around ranches and cattle leases does and fawns will usually crawl through or under a fence where a large racked buck will normally jump it. These tracks are easy to read in the snow or mud.
Mike

Barracuda
08-05-2011, 09:37 AM
ive seen big does leave drag marks in snow also so im pretty sure the drag marks are indicative of a big ol deer simply dragging its feet regardless of sex

Jelvis
08-05-2011, 11:51 AM
If you catch a track over 3 and a half inches long rounded toes and wide it's a big deer probably a buck. I go by how deep the track sinks in the ground that is a good indicator how heavy it is. It's all relative and varies with ground conditions now, when it was made, deer track by itself or a couple deer to compare with.
A big mule buck has a track like a calf moose size almost 4 inches long.
On frozen ground the track will look smaller in the rut cuz during the peak bucks walk with their weight leaning forward on tip toes kind of.
If you see a track that looks like you could drop an apple into it, it's a biggin.
Jel .. When you shoot a deer, take it's hoof and make a track into the soft ground
Then you will see what size of deer on average make tracks like the one you just got.
It's a no brainer like fishing salmon in a seiner .. you got the skinny on full grainer

hunter1947
08-06-2011, 02:21 AM
I myself have found that it is very hard to tell the difference between a mule deer track when the deer are in there younger years ,but when the deer gets older there due guards are more visible that they leave behind the rear hoof and there hoofs are a lot bigger then that of a doe.

When you see a aged mule deer track it can be 3 inches wide and 5 inches long without the dew guards this will be a buck track ,the front hoofs spread more apart sometimes when the are on the move this is a sine that it is a buck track..