PDA

View Full Version : LEH Sheep 8-09A Any ram advice

anethema
08-02-2011, 09:01 PM
Hey guys, love this site!

Anyways, I was one of seven drawn for Any Ram sheep hunt in 8-09A. I have been hunting a few years now, but am not an old hand by any means. I have only killed deer at this point.

Here is a map of where I am allowed to hunt.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/docs/region8_maps/sheep_8-09_Zone_A.pdf

Does anyone have advice as to hunting areas or any other tips to help make this a successful hunt? I will be doing some scouting, but the hunt begins in September so getting close to the wire.

If it matters I'm currently shooting a 30-06 and planned on hand loaded 165 grain TTSX as this is what I use for deer and currently load for this gun. I visit the range but usually only do 100 and 200 yard shooting. So if sheep are usually shot much longer I should perhaps do more practice at this as well.

Thanks everyone I really appreciate it.

gerrygoat
08-02-2011, 09:22 PM
Can't offer you much advice, but congrats on your draw I applied for it as well. Your load is good and you will want to practice farther out just in case you need to this is a once in a lifetime permit :)

limit time
08-03-2011, 05:00 PM
pm sent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

barry1974w
08-03-2011, 06:01 PM
That's the draw I normally apply for. Congratulations on a great draw, have a good hunt, good luck.

doubled
08-03-2011, 09:23 PM
Buddy of mine got that a few years ago I believe. He came home empty handed even after he had a 250 yard wide open shot. Animal was on a cliff and would have dropped straight down to no where good he said. He passed on it after looking at the cliff for a while.

walks with deer
08-04-2011, 03:26 PM
hmmm the vaseux herd is easy pickings cant tell you that far north I would go scouting now.

walks with deer
08-04-2011, 03:28 PM
as per shooting distance these things have little hunting pressure I know that you should be able to close the gap

I have been 5 yards from rams in open season area`s take your time move slow get above them if you can.

anethema
08-07-2011, 04:21 PM
Thanks though. Ya I don't expect to get that again any time soon. I was really applying for the shared moose hunt in 3-12 but threw this in as a hail mary as I've always wanted to do a sheep hunt.

I really appreciate the PM's and advice everyone. Sorry on the late replies I was just camping for the last few days haha.

I will be scouting real soon here and checking on places.

I will reply to PM's as well but thanks for all the information.

tbocking
08-08-2011, 08:07 AM
I had that draw a few years ago send me a pm i'll help ya out