PDA

View Full Version : Gun shy,,,

Rub
08-02-2011, 10:01 AM
Last years was my first year hunting, and although I didnt get anything, I did have a good year. Unfortunately I busted my right collar bone and tore my rotator 3 weeks ago and I am feeling a little gun shy right now. I know I have a few weeks left to heal before the season starts, but I am worried already that I may develop a flinch.

I have an X-Bolt 30.06, and my hubby has suggested that I have my stock cut down a bit as he feels I am reaching just a tad. Maybe then I would have room for a limb saver? Ive never been affraid of the kick, but I am worried about injuring my shoulder more.

Anyone know of a good place to have that done in the Okanagan area? Any ideas on how long it takes and the cost?

Thanks,
Kristal

Foxton Gundogs
08-02-2011, 10:26 AM
In 1966 I broke my right collarbone playnin football, I was told to lay off hunting for the season, not being one to miss out I taught myself to shoot south paw pretty rediculous at first but by the time water fowl season started I was a passable left handed shot. Swithced back to the right side next season and have never had the need to rehone the skill. Interesting note I actually became a better shot with a hand gun lefty and still shoot lefthanded hand gun to this day.

Rub
08-02-2011, 10:38 AM
Thats interesting Foxton Gundogs - I have had a few people suggest that as well. I am a photographer by profession, and I shoot with my left eye open, so maybe I should go to the range and see!

Foxton Gundogs
08-02-2011, 10:47 AM
I started with a 22 and a rest and worked up from there wasn't easy but I got my share of ducks that year and a nice 3ptBT so I guess it worked to some degree. My biggest challenge was getting the shoulder swing action together when shooting shotgun. I never did get the pump action down and shot a sidexside all that year, again I started out small with a 410 and worked up.

RJ
08-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Look at some reduced recoil ammunition as well. Limb savers are nice and gooey, should definitely help. Maybe try Del Selins in Vernon?

Rub
08-02-2011, 10:58 AM
Yeah I will go out with the .22 first, work my way up from there for sure.

TPK
08-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Sounds to me like the perfect excuse to buy anothe rifle !! Maybe something in a .243 ... then when you're all healed next year you can switch back to the .06 if you like

Rub
08-02-2011, 11:29 AM
Haha TPK - there is no shortage of rifles in this house but a new one for me would be nice!!

todbartell
08-02-2011, 11:51 AM
the Xbolt's factory pad (Inflex) is as good as any aftermarket Limbsaver or Decelerator type. Try practicing left handed as mentioned above

MillBay
08-02-2011, 03:01 PM
My first rifle I started shooting after a pellet gun when I was 14 was my dad’s 30-06 rem pump, had a steal but plate. Then he bought me a 7MM rem mag just before I turned 15. My Dad got it for me because the wholesale sports outfit we sold fishing gear to said it was the only Left handed bolt they had. Those 2 guns developed a flinch that I fight to this day. Not good to over gun youngsters or newbie's.

FirePower
08-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Picking up left handed shootin is just a matter of practice if you have left/right eye control. Burn lots of powder and don't get discouraged.

08-02-2011, 03:44 PM
Yep, As Foxton suggests go lefty. Dont risk further injury, its not worth it. Bring a shooting stick to rest your rifle on when you'r trying to shoot all goofy.
take a smaller rifle to the range just to make sure you dont jar your shoulder from recoil.

You should be worried about developing a flinch. You are new to the sport and possibly in the "High risk" catagory. Take it easy and dont wreck all the other seasons left for you to hunt. Just make sure the deer is standing still and you have a good rest,,,,,,, And pre pair for scope bite! im sure you might creep up to close shooting off hand!

Good luck!

Surrey Boy
08-05-2011, 07:57 PM
To go along with TPK, it's time to think like a man! You'll need a new gun chambered to the newest, fastest, overbore magnum with cartidges that cost >$4 per. Then comes the custom fit stock and recoil padding, and get a gunsmith to machine you a real fancy muzzlebrake. You'll need it light, so go with the high-end mountain edition of whatever rifle you're looking at. Finally to get your confidence up an uberkleer scope is in order just to help you be sure that you're holding it steady at the moment of truth.

Your husband will understand if he really loves you.:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

jeff
08-05-2011, 08:27 PM
when the game your after is in front of u your adrenellan will take over and pain what pain i had a dislocated shoulder that was out for 6 hours till i got from moose camp to hospital it was more painfull than any of the broken bone ive ever had i was in a sling and could hardly lift arm but a moose walked out the next evening and my gun was shouldered and i shot 3 times and didnt feel a thing so i think youll do just fine dont even worry about it good luck

Rub
08-05-2011, 09:43 PM
Found out today I also tore my AC. Physio said not to shoot anytime soon if I want to keep healing. Haven't got out to try left yet, but I've been keeping my rifle handy and pick it up about 30 times a day and look with my left. It's feeling natural already...

buck nash
08-05-2011, 11:55 PM
Shooting left handed is a good skill to have anyhow. You never know when you're gonna want to shoot from the left side of tree or need a rest that doesn't work right handed.

I am a photographer by profession, and I shoot with my left eye open, so maybe I should go to the range and see!

You're halfway there already then.

the Xbolt's factory pad (Inflex) is as good as any aftermarket Limbsaver or Decelerator type. Try practicing left handed as mentioned above

x2 I've got one in 270. Great recoil pad on these guns.

Foxton Gundogs
08-06-2011, 11:09 AM
Found out today I also tore my AC. Physio said not to shoot anytime soon if I want to keep healing. Haven't got out to try left yet, but I've been keeping my rifle handy and pick it up about 30 times a day and look with my left. It's feeling natural already...

Good for you keep working on the south paw, I shot all last duck season with a BADLY sprained shoulder DON'T DO IT!!!! And don't let anyone BS you that with age comes wisdom LMFatAO

FirePower
08-09-2011, 09:07 AM
Hows the lefty conversion coming?

Iron Glove
08-09-2011, 11:14 AM
Broke my left collarbone playing football about 45 years ago and now the right side is messed up with rotator cuff problems from too much hockey abuse. I'm a lefty and the collarbone has never caused a problem but it healed over decades, not months. :) With advancing age and all the sports related injuries, I've been slowly adding recoil pads to some of the rifles and also trying a .243 where applicable to help with the recoil.
Don't rush the healing process, you've got many, many years to enjoy hunting.

Rub
08-16-2011, 08:53 PM
It's official - I am a way better shot with my left than my right!! Scope is clear, I'm far more steady, and its probably more comfortable than I ever would have imagined!