PDA

View Full Version : Murray River float??

CanuckShooter
08-02-2011, 09:15 AM
Has anyone ever boat hunted the Murray River from Tumbler towards Chetwynd?? Is it safe and possible to float a small boat downstream between these points during September?? Are there any natural hazards that someone comtemplating this trip should be aware of?? ie. falls, major rapids etc???

lunatic
08-02-2011, 09:26 AM
I hunt the Murray regularly in the fall. Usually by September the water is very low from around where the Gwillim River enters right through to where the Murray enters the Pine. This area is referred to as the "painted canyon" and there has been more than one drowning in this area but that is usually during spring conditions and the proper safety equipment (life jackets) was not used. There are a few good rapids and one "shelf" where the river drops about 3 feet. No problem in a jetboat and is done regularly with canoes. I see no problem this year in a small boat as water levels are probably the highest i have ever seen them for this time of year. The river is still at about June levels right now. I will probably do a jetboat trip today as we actually have a nice day here for a change and with the shitty summer we're having the boat hasn't hit the water yet this year. I'll let you know what it's like if I do.

lunatic
08-02-2011, 07:50 PM
Well I got the boat out and went downriver as far as Salt Creek today. Water levels are high as I stated but September is still a month away and if it doesn't rain too much it will drop fast. Hard to believe how much it changed with the flood level rains we've experienced this year. At one point where Bergeron Creek enters, the gravel has been pushed probably 20 feet further into the river. We went in the early afternoon and saw a solitary goat and 5 young wolves.

CanuckShooter
08-02-2011, 10:21 PM
Do you have any idea how many hours/days it would take to float all the way to the Pine??

elkdom
08-02-2011, 10:33 PM
make it several days and float the Murray to the Pine, then the Pine to the Peace river at Taylor BC,, then the Peace River to Clayhurst Bridge near Alta boundary, a about a 4 or 5 day slow easy trip, moose, elk, and fishing !:-D

lunatic
08-03-2011, 08:13 AM
make it several days and float the Murray to the Pine, then the Pine to the Peace river at Taylor BC,, then the Peace River to Clayhurst Bridge near Alta boundary, a about a 4 or 5 day slow easy trip, moose, elk, and fishing !:-D

What he said! That is a great trip that I have done before. If you just wanted to just go from TR to the Pine it could be done in one long day. The best hunting is usually from around where the Gwillim river enters down thru the flats at Lone Prairie.

Ghillie
08-03-2011, 04:28 PM
I hear its an awesome trip in a jetboat! Kinuseu falls are supposed to be quite spectacular....

lunatic
08-03-2011, 06:41 PM
I hear its an awesome trip in a jetboat! Kinuseu falls are supposed to be quite spectacular....

Yes......they are. But that requires going up the river! :)

mookie_monster
08-28-2011, 12:39 PM
So lunatic, I hear you give free rides?? Up river that is :)

vip_ruger
08-28-2011, 01:08 PM
I have did thaT TRIP 15 times or so in a rubber boat have popped 2 boats and had to hike out ,the first day is easy then after that u better pay attention 1 wrong move and wrong move and it could make for a shit show it takes about 3 days

Mountain Hunter
08-28-2011, 08:35 PM
Are mt goats regularly spotted along there?

lunatic
08-28-2011, 08:38 PM
yes......mostly downriver.

daycort
08-28-2011, 09:11 PM
I have also done this trip. we have done it in 3 days but we felt rushed to make our pick up time at the old camp ground where it hits the pine. It is a fun river if you know how to use a raft. 5 days would give you lots of time to explore. It is very thick country though, lots of alders and buck brush.

dawsonhunter
09-14-2011, 02:23 PM
I just got off the river last week, There is a few hairy spots but all and all great trip... The shelf was unexpected but fun... The zodiaks performed well... I do agree with "VIP_ruger" pay attention thing that dont seem a big deal turn quickly... We did it in 5 days, the next time i will do it in 7, It took 23 hrs float time but the wind does affect you in the slow waters... Enjoy

leadpillproductions
11-14-2016, 01:37 PM
Old thread but figure id ask , can a small river boat get back up the the shelf drop?