PDA

View Full Version : Would You Or Would You Not ????

hunter1947
08-02-2011, 05:00 AM
I have been doing a hell of a lot of thinking in the last two months my question is if it where you would you shoot any bull elk in the bow season if it where you ??? http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon5.png.

My thoughts are I should shoot any bull elk I have the opportunity at but then again if I do this my elk hunting is over for the year ,my chances at getting my dream bull will end till next season I know I am the only one that can answer this question but it keeps me awake at night thinking what should I do ??? :confused:.

I can hold out for a nice bull elk and see if I have the chance to put a bow elk mount up on my wall but has to be at least a 250+ bow elk mount :-D..

My in stinks say take any bull with bone on it for my first bull elk to get the monkey off my back ,I have always said to myself Wayne go with your thoughts and you will be satisfied with the outcome ,So if it was you in my shoes what would you do ???? http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon5.png I just want to know what others would do if it where them ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,what would do ??? http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon5.png..

dave_fras
08-02-2011, 05:19 AM
ive always wanted to get bull with my bow!...so... im thinking id do that first!

doubled
08-02-2011, 05:42 AM
Wayne, you have put alot of time and effort into your scouting, setting up of camp, preparation, etc. Why not put that to your elk too - get picky, you have all season with the rifle too if need be. You know when you are at home and look up to see your first bow elk mount that you made the right choice then.

sawmill
08-02-2011, 05:54 AM
I`m the wrong guy to ask,I`m all about the steaks and roasts.I will be looking for a fat 2 year old cow again this fall.Eat like a King all winter:mrgreen:

fearnodeer
08-02-2011, 05:56 AM
I always go with my gut feeling, sometimes it tells me i'm hungry so time to shoot, other times it tells me i'm to full so let it go, on occasion it tells me that i've got to go, so just stop sit down and think about it for a while.

.300WSMImpact!
08-02-2011, 06:12 AM
I have never shot an elk, so if it was me and I lived in an area or could go to an area with any bull with my bow I would shoot the first one I saw, elk for me is for meat, might be a different story if I lived where you do, good luck cant wait to see your pictures what ever you choose

hunter1947
08-02-2011, 06:21 AM
I`m the wrong guy to ask,I`m all about the steaks and roasts.I will be looking for a fat 2 year old cow again this fall.Eat like a King all winter:mrgreen:

Joe I am all by myself no one to feed but me for the game meat so if I do pass on bulls that won't meet my taking then so be it I can always put more then enough other game meat in my freezer for the fall for my needs.

Weatherby Fan
08-02-2011, 06:36 AM
Well Wayne you can go with a plan in place and say Im not shooting anything less than say a 3 point with my bow that way you can get some sleep over the next month :mrgreen: or you can let the heat of the moment do the talking,you've shot enough elk you will know what you want come opening day,either way it would be a rush to arrow a bull elk !
WF

Pioneerman
08-02-2011, 07:37 AM
I have had bow only LEH draws before (twice) and did not get one, could not get close enough. I started off with another big rack in my head and as the end came close all I could think about was how tasty a nice young bull would be in the freezer, but then again I did not have a chance for open season afterwards. Who knows if you took a younger one for the first bow chance and the meat you might not want a big bull again. Although the big bull I did get was about the best meat I have ever had. Good luck what ever you choose

rocksteady
08-02-2011, 07:48 AM
Taking any animal with a bow is a challenge....Only you can decide, at the time when the critter walks into range whether you will take the shot or not.....

I prefer the bird in the hand theory..If its right in front of you and its legal to harvest, let an arrow fly....May not have the biggest hat rack, but still would be a trophy, as it was harvested with a bow....

I set myself low standards (as can be attested to by my large collection of small antlers in my garage) of putting meat in the freezer, as compared to racks on the wall...That way I am not dissappointed when something with small antlers shows up :)

Big Lew
08-02-2011, 07:55 AM
Wayne, as you've stated, you really don't need the meat, you've demonstrated to us your enthusiasm by spending a good deal of time preparing for hunting that monster elk. You also have confided in us your enjoyment of having fellow hunters drop by at your camp that you've spent a lot of thought and effort to put together. So, unless you can see yourself still enjoying your camp, hunting for another species, or helping a friend hunt, I think you should hold out for a bull you would be proud to hang on your wall. For me, I would be proud to take any average or larger bull elk with archery equipment because I haven't shot an elk, and don't keep antlers anyway. I also don't really need the meat anymore, but do need, and dream of "going hunting" all year long, so it isn't as important to shoot any legal game I chance upon. Last year I had many opportunities to arrow 2 and 3 point mulies, but held out for 4 points or better and although I was successful in stalking close to some, never got a ethical shot presented to me, so didn't shoot anything. Not getting anything didn't bother me much at all, because I still had a great time hunting and spending time outdoors.

Fisher-Dude
08-02-2011, 08:02 AM

Yep, me too. I've shot lots of bull elk, one is book. But I'll gladly take another young cow this year, 'cause nothing else is as good on the BBQ!

hunter1947
08-02-2011, 08:22 AM
Wayne, as you've stated, you really don't need the meat, you've demonstrated to us your enthusiasm by spending a good deal of time preparing for hunting that monster elk. You also have confided in us your enjoyment of having fellow hunters drop by at your camp that you've spent a lot of thought and effort to put together. So, unless you can see yourself still enjoying your camp, hunting for another species, or helping a friend hunt, I think you should hold out for a bull you would be proud to hang on your wall. For me, I would be proud to take any average or larger bull elk with archery equipment because I haven't shot an elk, and don't keep antlers anyway. I also don't really need the meat anymore, but do need, and dream of "going hunting" all year long, so it isn't as important to shoot any legal game I chance upon. Last year I had many opportunities to arrow 2 and 3 point mulies, but held out for 4 points or better and although I was successful in stalking close to some, never got a ethical shot presented to me, so didn't shoot anything. Not getting anything didn't bother me much at all, because I still had a great time hunting and spending time outdoors.

This is the wording I like I also got this gut feeling but as others have said and I do agree with them any bull with a bow is a trophy animal..

hunter1947
08-02-2011, 08:24 AM
Yep, me too. I've shot lots of bull elk, one is book. But I'll gladly take another young cow this year, 'cause nothing else is as good on the BBQ!

Not so Pat the smokies from any animal are as good on the barbecue ,LOL :mrgreen:..

hunter1947
08-02-2011, 08:28 AM
Like others have said and I agree I think it will come down to the last few seconds when the bull is standing out from me at 25 yards and me in my tree stand this will be a big decision for me to make at this slip moment will have to wait and see ??? ,the time frame for the 9 day hunt has lots to do with what I will take if it is down to the last two days then I would think I will take anything with bone on its skull..

CanuckShooter
08-02-2011, 08:39 AM
I usually decide based upon the amount of game I am seeing and the time I have to accomplish the task. If there are lots of elk in the area, and I have a fair amount of time, I'll hold out for a larger animal....if I am nearing season end and game is sparse..then the first legal animal goes into the larder!!

Fisher-Dude
08-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Not so Pat the smokies from any animal are as good on the barbecue ,LOL :mrgreen:..

Smokies, yeah, but those NY steaks - they just don't compare!

gutpile
08-02-2011, 09:06 AM
The older you get Wayne, the less time a person has, take the opportunity

hunter1947
08-02-2011, 09:12 AM
Smokies, yeah, but those NY steaks - they just don't compare!

Pat I have to agree with you on your thoughts you are not kidding...

steel_ram
08-02-2011, 09:16 AM
If it's not for the freezer then your primary purpose for the hunt is recreation, you have lots of time, so why cut the ride short?

lunatic
08-02-2011, 09:17 AM
If it was me , i'd hold out for a big one. In the north here we are allowed 3 pt or bigger and cows in the special "agricultural zone" which itself is a joke. This zone extends for miles and miles away from any farmland but that is another story. I have been limiting myself to 6x6 or bigger elk only as I feel there are too many smaller bulls and cows being shot with these liberal regulations. last year I passed up about a dozen 5x5 bulls, some of which were very nice animals. If the freezer is empty, then maybe towards the end of the season I might lower my standards.

CanuckShooter
08-02-2011, 09:21 AM
If it was me , i'd hold out for a big one. In the north here we are allowed 3 pt or bigger and cows in the special "agricultural zone" which itself is a joke. This zone extends for miles and miles away from any farmland but that is another story. I have been limiting myself to 6x6 or bigger elk only as I feel there are too many smaller bulls and cows being shot with these liberal regulations. last year I passed up about a dozen 5x5 bulls, some of which were very nice animals. If the freezer is empty, then maybe towards the end of the season I might lower my standards.

Are not elk like deer?? Those nice 5x5s will probably never get any bigger and will be passing on those genetics to future generations????

elkdom
08-02-2011, 09:30 AM
shooting big game with a bow is a choice, if you can make a clean kill, go for it !

if your not confident with your bow/archery abilities ?? then leave it alone!

wound an elk with a bow ?, to never find it ?, or find it days later ?, rotting away, is not my style!

that would keep me awake at night ! how about you ?

lunatic
08-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Are not elk like deer?? Those nice 5x5s will probably never get any bigger and will be passing on those genetics to future generations????

In many cases, yes. I'm like H1947 though.....I hate to see my season come to a conclusion too early. I actually get better satisfaction now from helping others try to fill their tag.

todbartell
08-02-2011, 09:36 AM
you got nothing better to do. Hold out and hunt all season for the right bull. Btw it's legal to hunt with archery during rifle season too. Buy a couple extra pair of Walmart velcro sneakers and try to wear them out. Buy an extra case or two of Spam and you'll be set

lunatic
08-02-2011, 09:44 AM
you got nothing better to do. Hold out and hunt all season for the right bull. Btw it's legal to hunt with archery during rifle season too. Buy a couple extra pair of Walmart velcro sneakers and try to wear them out. Buy an extra case or two of Spam and you'll be set

Now that is some funny shit! You've been looking at the pictures and videos I see.

elkdom
08-02-2011, 10:07 AM

as usual GOOD / SOUND, advice Bartell!:wink:

just one thing I wanted to add !
leave the "velcro-sneakers at home" when Sheep hunting,

CAUTION!,,,,,,the velcro gets tangled up in the Sheep wool !

moose2
08-02-2011, 10:32 AM
Hi Wayne
I think you should let your trail cam tell you what to do. You said you will be hunting from a tree stand, so set a camera up now and you will have a good idea of the size of the bulls in the area. If you see a big one using your area wait for him. If its only being used by small or medium bulls take the first legal one. Bow hunting is not easy any bull with this equipment is a trophy in my eyes. A rack displayed with an arrow on it looks good anyway it goes 3 pnt or 5 pnt , and as mentioned the meat is great as well. Good luck on what ever you choose.
Have a great season
Mike

todbartell
08-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Bow hunting is not easy any bull with this equipment is a trophy in my eyes.

he's got a crossbow, and 50 days to hunt. Hold out for a 340 bull +

hunter1947
08-02-2011, 01:00 PM

todbartell LOL thats is what I have been doing for 45 years wearing out 4 pair of the velcro sneakers on a two week hunt but I think this year I will not go through so many pairs of then when I am sitting in the tree stand for 6 hours a day LOL :mrgreen:. such good advice coming from you members believe me I am taking in every ones suggestions and thinking about all the posts I have read..

kennyj
08-02-2011, 01:53 PM
Personally I'd hold out for the Big One. It's true that any animal with a bow is a great accomplishment, but I'm after the Big One and I think you are to Wayne.
kenny

hunter1947
08-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Personally I'd hold out for the Big One. It's true that any animal with a bow is a great accomplishment, but I'm after the Big One and I think you are to Wayne.
kenny

You are right Kenny I have shot enough bulls over my hunting days and I know I would not be satisfied with a small bull even if it was my first bull with a bow I know that a bull elk or any animal taken with a bow is a hell of a accomplishment I want something on the wall that is decent bull elk something I can look at and say wow that sure is a nice bull I got with my bow.. ...

pg83
08-02-2011, 02:05 PM
If I were in your shoes I would stay selective. You are holding out for a great Elk and you need to be patient for him to come along. You have a lot of years in you yet to tag another with the bow. Too bad bow season wasnt after rifle season, then you could wait all through rifle season for Mr. Big and if you missed him you could still settle for a smaller bow kill.

Gateholio
08-02-2011, 02:07 PM
I think you should cross the bridge when you come to it. If you see a decent bull and you can make a good shot at it, and you WANT to, then do it.

Stretch
08-02-2011, 02:10 PM
Wayne, in my opinion the thrill of the hunt is in the chase. Sometimes there isn't the need to harvest just because you can. Take all the opportunities to can, make the decision at the time. Your gut feeling will tell you when to harvest.
Stretch

hunter1947
08-02-2011, 02:19 PM
I think you should cross the bridge when you come to it. If you see a decent bull and you can make a good shot at it, and you WANT to, then do it.

Good point Clark ,at the time I might just do what I think I should do I would love to give most of the meat to my hunting partners thats what partners are all about even if it is a small bull..

bearass
08-02-2011, 04:41 PM
Wayne If I were you I would hold out for a good bull. Try 5point or better with the bow and nothing smaller than a 340 inch with your riffle. This is your year . Go get him !!

elkdom
08-02-2011, 07:54 PM
do the "SAME THING" as you did last year!:roll:

nature girl
08-02-2011, 08:13 PM
Wayne go with your gut feeling. If the time is right take it. Or if not there will always be another day. Remember now you are not travelling from the island anymore.

The Hermit
08-02-2011, 08:32 PM
Wayne you will do what your heart tells you in the end and it will be good!

Just one thing buddy, remember you are shooting a crossbow not a rifle - do not shoot it in the shoulder! Only aim for a broadside lung/heart shot with the front leg forward! One fella I know who is an expert rifleman has killed many elk over his 65+ years of hunting in the Koots was pretty disappointed last year when his beauty six point limped away on him after his bolt bounced right back out off the shoulder.

elkdom
08-02-2011, 08:35 PM

Just one thing buddy, remember you are shooting a crossbow not a rifle - do not shoot it in the shoulder! Only aim for a broadside lung/heart shot with the front leg forward! One fella I know who is an expert rifleman has killed many elk over his 65+ years of hunting in the Koots was pretty disappointed last year when his beauty six point limped away on him after his bolt bounced right back out off the shoulder.

is he a member on HBC ?, I do not recall reading a thread about that ?

quadrakid
08-02-2011, 08:36 PM
When that nice 5by5 is broadside at twenty yards the answer to your question will be clear.

The Hermit
08-02-2011, 08:44 PM
is he a member on HBC ?, I do not recall reading a thread about that ?

Nope but chances are you either know him or have heard of him! ;-)

cainer
08-02-2011, 08:49 PM
If your mission is to shoot an elk with a bow, I'd say you've got your work cut out for you. Any bull would be a prize with an arrow. But if you're going for a giant, why not hold out through bow season, and take your rifle and crossbow up with you during rifle season. If Mr. Big shows up close, you can use the bow. if he shows up far-well you'll have that covered too. And in the end, you may hit the grand slam by nailing mr. big with an arrow-or you'll just end up with a lousy old 400 point bull by way of rifle ;) Either way sounds like a win to me.

300H&H
08-02-2011, 11:39 PM
This is easy for me.

I have never shot a elk so any bull would be great.

Thanks again for your help with my LEH.

I will call when Im in town Wayne.

walks with deer
08-03-2011, 12:19 AM
Wayne I know one man who has shot more elk and moe game than anybody with a bow and I will tell you any bull he can tale with a bow is a trophy and he has 3 kids and 6 grand kids and by love of the elk gods I have seen to 6 poionts he has taken with a bow in my camp.
Unless you have done a million miles scouting and are beytound positive you will take huge they are all trophys in the freezer.
I live in the fraser valley and take trophy deer and salmon yearly.however I will not lie a 2 point would have seen the same fate as my 6 and a 10lb sping would have seen the same fate as my 48lb spring eat first trophy is a bonus.

hunter1947
08-03-2011, 01:14 AM

Your post is so true Bill I have been shooting this new 370 FPS bow for the last month and have a good grouping at 10 yards ,20 ,25 ,30 ,35 ,40 ,45 ,50 yards you are so right when you say shot placement this is the key ,where my tree stand will be is about 25 yards back from my baiting station so my shots will be around 25 yards I am 18 feet up my tree stand.

I have put a small bit of marking tape out at 25 yards 6 pieces out 360 degree so I will not have to use the range finder to cause more movement when I call in a bull elk or they walk in to the baiting station..

hunter1947
08-03-2011, 01:19 AM
do the "SAME THING" as you did last year!:roll:

No thanks Doug I don't want to go there :roll:....

lunatic
08-03-2011, 08:09 AM
If your mission is to shoot an elk with a bow, I'd say you've got your work cut out for you. Any bull would be a prize with an arrow. But if you're going for a giant, why not hold out through bow season, and take your rifle and crossbow up with you during rifle season. If Mr. Big shows up close, you can use the bow. if he shows up far-well you'll have that covered too. And in the end, you may hit the grand slam by nailing mr. big with an arrow-or you'll just end up with a lousy old 400 point bull by way of rifle ;) Either way sounds like a win to me.

Just curious why you say this? I can say that about 90+ % of the bulls I have taken were called to within 20-30 yards and could easily have been taken with a bow.

nature girl
08-03-2011, 05:22 PM
Wayne say you did shoot a elk with your bow. There is nothing saying you cant go back and sit in your tree stand and take pictures and videos.

Caribou_lou
08-03-2011, 05:35 PM
When that nice 5by5 is broadside at twenty yards the answer to your question will be clear.

Similar to what I was going to say... myself, I would take a respectable bull. Put a 5x5 bull in front of me and I'll be at full draw!

You seem to have that figured out already. Your waiting for a 250 bull. I think if a bull shows up that's not quite that, you'll have a decision to make. And you won't be regretting it until the season is over! haha

gitnadoix
08-03-2011, 10:08 PM
Most likely any bull,,,,,,and as always the measure of the trophy is what are the memories to you.......if it was after a particular dificult 6 hour stalk on dry crunchy leaves then any elk would be a special memory....if it stood on the road while you were driving in to your area...it might not fill your memory tag properly....

twopointertom
08-03-2011, 10:34 PM
Go big or go home. I agree with Doubled that you have the rest of the season with the rifle if need be. What an animal-what a trophy. May your arrows fly true.

hunter1947
08-04-2011, 02:51 AM
The one thing that eats away at me is what if a shoot a small bull elk like a 5x4 or a 5x5 that is a respectable 230 bull for an archery bull and then latter on in the rifle season I see a 350+ bull when hunting for mule deer or WT deer ????.

I know I will be very upset with myself and this will haunt me for the rest of my life ,I do have 6 weeks after bow season to see if I can find the dream bull I am looking for I will have my tag in my back pocket for this bull.

I did lots of talking to a good friend yesterday about this when ridding in his logging truck he was a guide outfitter and a very good one at that at one time and he has shot some fantastic wall hangers that are on his wall.

The end results from our talk was that I should hold out for something around the 270+ class bull in the archery season and if I get one of this caliber you will be happy you took this animal with a bow even if you see your dream bull in the rifle season having a 270+ bull down in the archery season is a hell of a accomplishment to have done and will overrule the sighting of a dream bull in rifle season.

I have a couple archery bulls on my trail cams that will make a 270 score so if they stay in the area then I have a chance at setting my goal the trail cam will let me know if the bulls are still in the area come the last week of Aug.

I don't have to prove anything to myself when it comes to elk hunting after hunting these fantastic creators for 45 years and taking 27 bull elk I have nothing to prove to myself except trying to get my 340+ elk this year or a decent size archery bull elk the will make the 270+ mark I do have a 7x7 RME head mount on the wall as for a 8x9 Roosevelt elk so I have both of the elk species on the wall .

I have decided that this is what I will do hold out for a 270+ archery elk so I might have some fantastic footage of some nice bull elk that won't make my needs when I am up hi in my tree stand cow calling for Mr big..

I want to tank all you HBC members for giving different ideas on what you would do if you where in my shoes all posts where read from me and I thought about every and each one of your posts..

I will tell you all that if I don't get an elk this year it won't be the lack of trying will it be one heck of a elk season for me to try to for fill my dream hunt and I will tell you this its not always abut getting your animal the most important thing is being able to hunt these fantastic animals as for having good friends in camp to talk about the days hunt latter on in the evenings around the fire ,H-47..

Big Lew
08-04-2011, 07:56 AM
I will tell you this its not always abut getting your animal the most important thing is being able to hunt these fantastic animals as for having good friends in camp to talk about the days hunt latter on in the evenings around the fire ,H-47..

Pretty much what I was trying to tell you, Wayne. Wish you a great season camping, visiting with friends, and hunting; hope you get "The Big One"

Deeboe
08-04-2011, 10:10 AM
If you are like me and you took an elk with your bow--even thought it may be not as big as you wanted it to be, I would still be extremely elated and grateful...
I have taken 3 in my last 4 attempts elk hunting and i can definitely say if i took home a young one with a bow the year i got skunked, hell, i would have been completely pumped.
However i can understand your logic ;)

Hope that answers your question!

Deeboe
08-04-2011, 10:12 AM
BTW, Good Luck this year!!! 1 More month!!

JAFA
08-07-2011, 01:19 PM
I've shot lots of bull elk, one is book.

Do you actually have proof of this, or are you just yapping?

The Hermit
08-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Wayne has lots of elk kills and I can appreciate his decision, however for me, I'll be happy as can be to take a cow with my longbow! This will be my fourth archery elk season and taking one would be icing on the cake! Being in elk camp with the boys is reward enough so taking any legal elk would be a major bonus!

Fisher-Dude
08-07-2011, 03:21 PM
Do you actually have proof of this, or are you just yapping?

Send me some money and I'll mail the score sheet to you. You can put it with your stack of NIL LEH notifications. :lol:

proguide66
08-07-2011, 03:46 PM
Stay focused on the 'Dream Bull'..........one of my main reasons for holding out is getting more time 'in' running around out there....how depressing would it be to tag out soo early on a bull you have already experienced in the past? Keep a blunt in your quiver and spank that decent 5 in the ass and cary on...:-P..go for the DREAM BULL !!!

hunter1947
08-08-2011, 03:06 AM
Stay focused on the 'Dream Bull'..........one of my main reasons for holding out is getting more time 'in' running around out there....how depressing would it be to tag out soo early on a bull you have already experienced in the past? Keep a blunt in your quiver and spank that decent 5 in the ass and cary on...:-P..go for the DREAM BULL !!!
I do agree with you Steve this is exactly what I have been telling myself the last few days http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.png..

hunter1947
08-08-2011, 03:11 AM
Send me some money and I'll mail the score sheet to you. You can put it with your stack of NIL LEH notifications. :lol:

Don't let this past post bother you Pat I know you shot lots of elk over your years just ignore that post..

hunter1947
08-08-2011, 03:13 AM
Wayne has lots of elk kills and I can appreciate his decision, however for me, I'll be happy as can be to take a cow with my longbow! This will be my fourth archery elk season and taking one would be icing on the cake! Being in elk camp with the boys is reward enough so taking any legal elk would be a major bonus!

Bill I wish you all the luck filling your dreams you are tops in my books hope to see some pictures of your elk this Sept...