PDA

View Full Version : Question about calling.(deer and moose)

sarg
08-01-2011, 09:06 PM
this is my first year tring to call in deer and moose, so i have some question about calling.( i've spent tons of time going through thread about call)

deer is first. i have 2 calls and a rattling bag, my first call is a squeezin bleat deer call and the other one is a primos "the long can".

-which one would be better or will both work?
-can i use both at the same time (mixing it up)?
-is the rut the only time calling works for deer?
-if i'm calling moose the first week of oct, can i call deer in at the same time or will it f**k every thing up or wast of time.? (i'm not picky yet on bucks)
-how long should i wait in between using the "the long can or the squeezin bleat b4 using it again?
-does it matter if i rattle first or call first?
-should i wait between calling and rattling or can do one after another?
-is rattling better then calling or is calling better the rattling?
-do rattling bags work
i think thats it for my deer question.
for moose i dont have much for question,i've spent tons of time on youtube learning how to call, and i've read "big boars thread" on calling moose about 5 times now.lol
-but the one thing is can i call in moose and deer at the same time in the begging of oct?and agian not picky on bucks yet>
thanks for ur help
sarg:-D

NaStY
08-01-2011, 09:37 PM
You tube can be your next best friend. Cheaper than buying a bunch of DVD's to watch........

nap
08-01-2011, 09:46 PM
No one can give really give you the answers you want, just get out there and do it all, try your deer calls and finish with a moose call, keep track and let us know how it goes. Just remember, if there is no animal to here your call they will not come, even if it is the right time of the year.

CanuckShooter
08-01-2011, 11:07 PM
Don't call too much, less is sometimes more....try using your calls when you can observe the deer. I used a deer call in 7-10 and it attracted the does...I used the same call in 5-14 and they took off like they were just shot at, so nap is right nobody can 'really' answer all your questions.

Jelvis
08-01-2011, 11:09 PM
I use Comehere deer a mouth one you blow through and a grunt tube.
I've seen them work great in the rut time is when I used both and turned a nice buck back to me and right up to the old stump I hid through.
Use a light quieter call at first and stop and wait five minutes or so then another lighter one and wait and listen, bucks when closing in will circle around the area your calling from to smell what the rock is cooking. It's a habit for safety reasons.
Jel Use your call in rut time for good results and rattle some antlers too. Use tinks2

Pre '64
08-02-2011, 04:03 AM
With any calling, 90% of game will come in downwind of your location, esp buck deer. For whitetails, You have to be well hidden but with an opening on your down wind side far enough so the animal will be visible before he winds you. If there is a good breeze and it's steady in one direction you should be able to see at least 60-100 yards on your downwind side. Calling in wide open areas will make whitetail buck too cautious , they prefer cover to feel at ease, unless you are dealing with young bucks. Don't call too much, once every 3-5 minutes, the deer can pinpoint your location and walk directly to your spot and don't forget they will be looking directly at you, so keep very still, rotate your eyes and make any head movements slow. If you have a caller AND A SHOOTER, HAVE THE SHOOTER SIT DOWNWIND ABOUT 60-70 YDS FROM THE CALLER AND HE WILL SEE MORE DEER. Use a grunt call for a few minutes so any buck which is close will hear it and come in. If nothing comes after 10 minutes or so use rattlin antlers and rattle every 5 minutes or so and then a few grunts in between.

ONE, MORE THING, YOU HAVE TO BE IN A GOOD SPOT WHERE YOU KNOW THERE ARE LOTS OF DEER IN THE AREA, YOU CAN'T CALL A BUCK THAT ISN'T WITHIN 300-400 YDS AT BEST. As for Muleys, I have no idea about calling them.

hunter1947
08-02-2011, 04:47 AM
I have just got into calling for WT deer and I am no pro by a long shot ,I found that rattling can doe bleep and grunt worked well for me last fall I called in 10 WT deer bucks last Nov using the method I said above 4 of these bucks where in the 125 point range.

What worked for me is rattle first then use the doe bleep can two times then call with a few grunts ,then shut up and look and listen for 10 min then repeat again keep doing this while you are set up ,like I said this method worked well for me.

Crimson Viking
08-02-2011, 08:52 PM
OK Ill pick one question.

Yes Rattle bags work... Personally I prefer the smaller piece ones , that sound like smaller antlered buck as to not scare off your target buck.

I have used them very successfully in the rut. It brought a big WT buck in, that i though was gone after had bailed into the bush 400 yards away. He popped out of the bush line 50 yrds away looking for other bucks. My first experience at rattling in a buck, it was awesome.

Jelvis
08-02-2011, 09:21 PM
In late October early November is best,especially early morning just when light comes out, the bucks start to recede into the lower thicker bush.
Start walking up and in the dark and make your way up a couple hundred feet then peel to the side with wind in your face and walk and come up and look on the little benches. It's now light enough to legally shoot and look hard.
This where a call might work to make a buck move and you can pin-point the buck.
Do not forget to use cammo face paint and clothes, be still and hide your body shape behind an up turned tree stump or a darker colored boulder etc.
The deer will look in your direction for the deer (you) making the call, so only move very slow and be silent. Once the buck is in a good shooting line and close enough for a sure shot, decide to shoot or pass.
If you spot a deer in the distance moving quick with nose to the ground, it's a buck smelling a does trail, that's when you hide and give a call, if he stops and looks, wait, then if he starts coming, move very very slow and get ready for a possible shot.
Jelly .. When calling give it a kinda lonely wanting company drawl .. a Booty call.

huntwriter
08-02-2011, 09:34 PM
this is my first year tring to call in deer and moose, so i have some question about calling.( i've spent tons of time going through thread about call)

deer is first. i have 2 calls and a rattling bag, my first call is a squeezin bleat deer call and the other one is a primos "the long can".

Both these calls work great, but here is the snag. Both calls are meant to produce doe in heat bleats. This means the calls are limited to the height of the rut, a very short period during the hunting season. Make these sounds at any other time of the season and deer will call the bluff.

-which one would be better or will both work?Both calls reproduce very good authentic deer sounds, but as stated above they are limited to the rut only.

-can i use both at the same time (mixing it up)?Yes you can. Your chances of attracting a buck are much better if you sound like two different deer.

-is the rut the only time calling works for deer?No calling works at any time during the hunting season. The trick is learning the right sounds that are appropriate for the time of year. When deer communicate verbally they broadcast unmistakable messages to other deer. Knowing how and when to deliver the right message is paramount to calling success.

-if i'm calling moose the first week of oct, can i call deer in at the same time or will it f**k every thing up or wast of time.? (i'm not picky yet on bucks)As stated you can call deer at any time of years but have to know what sounds to make. The calls you own only work during the rut. Observe when the does start to act antsy around late October and into November. That's the time to use doe in heat calls.

-how long should i wait in between using the "the long can or the squeezin bleat b4 using it again?Good question. The majority of hunters call to loud and to often and then wonder why calling doesn't work. Deer are not "talkative", they only call if they have to say something. Only call 1 to 2 times then quit for an hour before calling again.

-does it matter if i rattle first or call first?Don't rattle during the rut when use doe in heat bleats. This tactic only works on land that is managed for trophy bucks where the buck to doe ratio is close to equal. Where we hunt the buck to doe ration is something like 1 to 20. There is no need for bucks to fight over breeding right as there are plenty of girls to go around for every buck. However, rattling works great during the pre-rut when bucks spare with each other. Keep the rattling simple, more like tickling the antlers together rather than a full blown fight.

-should i wait between calling and rattling or can do one after another?As stated above where we hunt we do not need to do both. But to answer your question where this tactic works we use the doe bleat first, then wait a few seconds and make a few buck grunts and then start rattling, beginning slow and then work up to more aggressive rattling. The best way to learn how to rattle is to watch a video, or in nature, how two bucks fight.

-is rattling better then calling or is calling better the rattling?This is not a yes and no answer, it all depends at the situation, time of year, buck to doe ratio, weather and a few other things.

-do rattling bags workRattling bags work great, sometimes better than antlers. Most hunters are way to aggressive and to loud when they rattle, a rattle bag can prevent that because it is not as loud and it is hard to imitate aggressiveness.

One a side note. Do yourself a big favour and don't watch to many videos on You-Tube or commercially available videos. Because:
A. Most of what you're shown are hunts on managed property where the buck doe ratio is near to equal.
B. Many of the commercial and some You-Tube videos are made by call manufacturers that want to promote their product and make it sound good for you the hunter not necessarily the deer.

Everything to do with calling and rattling is due to timing, situations and as with most everything related to this subject less can be more.

One more tip. In addition to the calls you own purchase an adjustable grunt tube that lets you produce normal social doe and buck grunts that work throughout the hunting season. Most of the times the deer just say "hello" to each other, which is a short sequence of two to three gentle grunts.

Hope this helps.

sarg
08-02-2011, 10:09 PM
thanks hunterwriter thou were great tips exactly what i was looking for. thank u

"One more tip. In addition to the calls you own purchase an adjustable grunt tube that lets you produce normal social doe and buck grunts that work throughout the hunting season. Most of the times the deer just say "hello" to each other, which is a short sequence of two to three gentle grunts."

is there many adjustable grunt tube to chooce from? or are they pretty easy to pick out.
thanks againe for you help
sarg

Backcountry archer
08-02-2011, 10:20 PM
I've had only a little luck at calling Mule Deer, this was while I was rattling and only a few times did it work. I need more work at my technique I'm sure. My nephew whom had no experience managed to rattle in two large Mule deer bucks on two separate days,.......go figure.
I've had no problem calling in Bull Moose from Sept. 15th through till November 3rd.

I'm gonna pay attention to some of the Deer calling tips as mentioned earlier.

huntwriter
08-03-2011, 05:29 AM
thanks hunterwriter thou were great tips exactly what i was looking for. thank u

"One more tip. In addition to the calls you own purchase an adjustable grunt tube that lets you produce normal social doe and buck grunts that work throughout the hunting season. Most of the times the deer just say "hello" to each other, which is a short sequence of two to three gentle grunts."

is there many adjustable grunt tube to chooce from? or are they pretty easy to pick out.
thanks againe for you help
sarg

It's a very common call available everywhere. Any brand will do.

gwillim
08-03-2011, 06:32 AM
Something that has worked for me is to wander slowly through an area until I start to see fresh tracks, or start to smell that "buck" smell. Then I tuck in behind a fallen tree and use my doe bleet can. Better yet is to have a dusting of snow, so you can easily tell if the tracks are fresh. Has worked great for me the last few years. I've also had luck with lightly ticking antlers together (for white-tail).

Wrayzer
08-03-2011, 06:47 AM
Just from my own experiences, I havent done a lot of early season calling, but what has worked is Late October using an old set of antlers, trying to do some rattling for a whitetail I'd seen the day before, rattled in a raging rutting Muley looking to have a go. Make sure you have good coverage (blind, tree stand) and always watch your wind.

My experience with calling worked in mid November with a foot of snow, I used some logs as a natural blind, sat still and used Doe bleats to be exact. Called in a Doe to the call with a nice 5x5 whitey buck chasing her scent a ways behind, doe took off, I kept the doe bleats going, about once every 30 seconds, and it sent the buck on a wild goose chase zig zagging trying to zero in on my "doe" scent trail,

Moose calling, we had a bull come within 20 yards of us, first week october, all we did was cup our hands and let out a juicy cow call. Could hear the bull grunting coming at us from a mile away.