PDA

View Full Version : Junior Hunting Licence Question

Radar
08-31-2006, 08:36 AM
Ok I've been reading the act, the synopsis as well as other information and I'm still a little confused. This question has nothing to do with Firearms, that is all clear in my head. It is to do with the actual hunting licence.

My daughter is 12, she is taking her CORE, lets say she has passed.

I can now apply for a hunter number for her, she gets that then we go and get her a Junior Hunting Licence, she can then hunt with me and shoot a deer lets say. This is were I am confused.

With her Junior Hunting Licence does she need to buy a Deer tag? or does it go against my deer tag?

The way I read it when she has a junior licence everything she hunts goes against my tags and bag limit.

So now it's LEH time, can she put in her own LEH cards? if she gets drawn and I get drawn for a anterless deer, does tha mean she can shoot one and I can shoot one?

If her shootin a deer goes against my bag limit and tags, at what age does that change?

Hope my questions are clear. Any help would be appreciated.

Radar
08-31-2006, 09:05 AM
OK I think I have now answered my own question, if someone can confirm that would be great;

From ages 10 to 14 a youth can hunt but needs a Junior Hutning Licence, all animals go under the supervisors tags and bag limit

At age 14 assuming they have their hunter # a youth can obtain their own hunting licence, have their own tags and enter LEH.

At all times up until they are 19 the youth must be directrly supervised by a hunter with a valid licence and tags.

After 19 they must also have their CFSC & a PAL.

You know it's no wonder the number are dwindling, it was painful to find the answers......

mainland hunter
08-31-2006, 09:07 AM
yup, thats how i read it

Radar
08-31-2006, 09:10 AM
Thanks, glad I finally got it straight between my ears!

Joe89
08-31-2006, 09:14 AM
I just went a couple of days ago and got my 11 year old son his own hunting licence and his own tags. He did complete the core course and has his own hunter number.

Here is a quote from the regs

"When a BC resident who is 10 years of age or older completes CORE, he or she is entitled to a BC Resident Hunter Number Card, and to have a bag limit of his or her own, to purchase a hunting licence and to enter the limited entry hunting draw."

The junior licence is for someone who has not completed core.

"The junior hunter need not have completed a hunter training program but must be accompanied and under the close personal supervisin of an adult who carries the proper licences."

Schmaus
08-31-2006, 09:30 AM
Your allowed a regular hunting license if you are 10 years old and have passed core. If you have a junior hunting license they hunt big game under your license but I think they have their own bag limit of small game.

Radar
08-31-2006, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the information, so that also makes her (anyone with a BC Hunter Number) eligble for LEH Draws. Because I was thinking;

if not I'd found a way that Youth Hunters are unfairly penalised:

My daughter is 12, she has her CORE, we go get her a BC Hunter Number tomorrow, it is dated Sept 2006.

By the time she is able to get her own hunting licence (age 14) and enter LEH, she will have had her hunter number passed the "deadline" shown in th LEH synopsis for New Hunters making her ineligble for New Hunter Draws, even though she has been below the age to enter any LEH draws, let alone New Hunters!

Radar
08-31-2006, 09:49 AM
Sorry for throwing this out, in different sectios of th regs it seemed to contradicte certain other areas, but now with what you posted and section 2 on page 8 of the synopsis it is clear as mud!:lol:

Joe89
08-31-2006, 10:11 AM
By the time she is able to get her own hunting licence (age 14) and enter LEH, she will have had her hunter number passed the "deadline" shown in th LEH synopsis for New Hunters making her ineligble for New Hunter Draws, even though she has been below the age to enter any LEH draws, let alone New Hunters!

Not sure what you mean here. She can enter LEH now (age 12) and get her own hunting licence, my 11 year old entered this year and got his whitetail doe draw. She will be able to enter the new hunter draws next year also.

CanAm500
08-31-2006, 10:49 AM
At all times up until they are 19 the youth must be directrly supervised by a hunter with a valid licence and tags.

I thought you just had to supervised by someone with just a licence, not tags?

< Now Im confused > lol:lol:

Radar
08-31-2006, 02:46 PM
OK I just spoke to the CO......

If you have a Junior Licence you do not need CORE, you must be supervised by someone with a valid hunting licence and tags for what you are hunting, in addiition to PAL. Anything you successfully hunt goes on the supervisors hunting licence/tags.

If you have your own hunter number becuase you have taken CORE(and are under 19), you have your own licence and tags, but are supervised by someone with a valid hunting licence & PAL. Anything you tak goes on your own licence/tags.

Clarity, what a beautiful thing......