PDA

View Full Version : calf moose hunter 7-03

finngun
07-30-2011, 06:44 PM
i got cow or calf moose draw oct 10---7-03 area
never been area,is it high country or swampy or what?

how many lb. meat you can get from averige moose calf...?
i know it is still running:-D but just curiosity..
i never really been much of moose hunting..new experience

thanx about any info..f-g:)

Jelvis
07-30-2011, 07:12 PM
a little calf is born in june 10 so july, aug, sept october 10th
4 months old with milk from it's mom. Meat? about 40 pounds deboned lol. I ain't joking either lol.
It says take calf when seeing a cow calf combo because the little calf will die anyways if mom dies.
Try to get a dry cow if possible way better eating also and hundreds of pounds of meat.
A dry cow is at least a yearling and hasn't got a calf to worry over and watch all the time.
The wet cow has been baby sitting and worrying about the calf she has, and isn't as relaxed as a dry cow would be and doesn't eat as well either.
Personally I wouldn't shoot a four month old calf, no meat, very little flavor because the meat is very pale red from drinking milk, that's my opinion.
Mu 7-03 has a good amount of moose. Some flatter roads to drive in spots and some driving upward.
Hwy 5 joins Hwy 16 at Tete Jaune Cache, about 15k west of that junction a road up the Small River runs back into moose and mule deer. Another 6k west of the small river is the Horsey River road runs northeast from Hwy 16, some moose and deer.
At 53 k west from the Tete junction a road runs north west runs along the Holmes River, decent moose and goat.
Fair moose hunting also from McKale and moose from East Twin.
Jelvis .. Moose are relatively large so bring meat saw and a couple sharp knives and a knife sharpener, some rope. You still hit the end of the moose rut so should be good hunting. Others might say I luv little calves to eat yummm, that's them.
lol :-D not me too tiny and tasteless from the milk only 4 months old for ---s---e.

Gateholio
07-30-2011, 07:48 PM
There isn't much meat on a calf, but it's nice and tender. :) Think of it as veal!

finngun
07-30-2011, 11:16 PM
well- well jell 40 lb meat out of calf moose ..hey it is much better than bambi i shoot long time ago... i got 25 lb meat out of it..but meat was exellent....best meet ever, said my wife wet cow-dry cow saunds funny to me ... if cow is coming out of lake......i think it is a wet cow???right? shoot it before she get dry...ok?

Jelvis
07-31-2011, 09:28 AM
finnigan flannigan well well well, maybe you want calf, then again finnigan 50 pound would be nifty, dry cow, wet cow, brown cow, no wholly cow.
Take it, leave it, you made up your minds, there's no udder kinds.
Jelly Ban Deli .. up a tree in 7-03

KB90
07-31-2011, 09:32 AM
Take two guys, you shoot the cow and buddy shoots the calf during calf season. 2 for 1

Jelvis
07-31-2011, 12:58 PM
I wood go out on a limb here by saying, most of the people out on a back road driving and looking are in PG area in Region 7. But Region 6er's too and most of them wood knot know a calf if they seen one by itself standing by a little conifer tree. They wood knot know what size moose it was or what gender. They maybe only see a few a year. I recommend using a spotting scope first and look close.
Short nose? Long nose? Color and leg shape, body proportions, bell length, antler? etc.
Mu 7-3 is by the Alberta border look up Smoky River and fill your quiver.
and Forgetmenot Cr. Zeke.
Fraser River on the west. Go vest young mon to the edge of the Mighty Fraser River.
You want more kill Try the Morkill River dress warm do not start to shiver. Pnewmoanyah.
If you feel comfortable on clear blue waters North vest of McBride, access roads appear my friend and drop downward from Highway 16 to the Mighty Fraser River.
Can you swim lol? Have experience along.
Good moose and deer hunting yah dats right along much of dis s-t-r-e-t-c-h by (Boat)
Don't gloat.
Learn to float take all precaution in water safety and always wear a good life jacket
Now if you try the tributaries ( water in form of rivers, creeks running into Fraser )
One being the famous Morkill navigable for at least (short) distances but whoa nelly
Jello Hello Mellow Yellow .. dah Morkill the Holmes and the Nor vest of McBride
Got it in yah Mu 7-3 up from Tete Jaune Cache right to just Nor West of McBride.
Meet yah @ Micky Deez in Micky Bride for a hot coffee who knows? 7-3 nah hice.

elkdom
07-31-2011, 01:03 PM
are you "OFF" your MED's again Jelvis ?? :cry:

steel_ram
07-31-2011, 01:09 PM
What's a "dry cow"? A cow that didn't get bred? A cow that has lost it's calf? or a cow that is unfertile? Of the three, only the last would be desirable to take, the other two would be in prime health and most likely to survive the winter. Pretty hard to tell the difference. Unless you are really in dire straits for food, shoot a calf.

barry1974w
07-31-2011, 01:32 PM
The calf I shot last year was almost two hundred pounds on the hook. I didn't weigh the boxes though.

Jelvis
07-31-2011, 01:40 PM
Any cow whether it be domestic or wild only comes into lactation ( look up meaning in your funk and wagnals) when said cow is havinck a baby ok?
Now if said cow is preggy (bred successfully) and is in good health and completes gestation period ( google gestation please thank you) and drops a calf and it is alive and well, it says, whoa man I want milk mommy. I'm starvinck and tirsty.
Moose calf stands wobbles and walks within minutes of dropping out.
Wet cow ( lactating ) licks calf dry eats the after birth then feeds the little calf wobbling around.
The calf drinks milk for months after and by October the cow will still have milk in her mammories.
Now the calf meat is like a veal state, light red, tender, milky taste and fine grain.
The cow if it's an old one could be the tuffest, ugliest, meat you ever chewed on.
A dry one, is still the best for eating if it's under two and a harf years old and down.
No calf to lactate for, no calf to carry, no calf to teach, no calf to protect, no calf Atall
Relaxes, no calf sitting, eats when it wants, protects itself.
Jel .. Just my way of tinkin like the King Elvis said, Welcome to my World won't you c'mon in, miracles I guess happen now and then .. I'll be waiting here with my arms unfurled waiting just for you welcome to my world. Elvis, R.I.P.

finngun
07-31-2011, 02:27 PM
jel thankyou tankyouvery mucc...as somebody always say..my favorite singer too.. just curious question....after long and hard glassing cow moose you knock it down...no calf anywhere....later you realise...here cames

calf..crying for mom..what you do??? 2 for 1---or what? calf will die anyways..starve or anything.. what is legal think to do..shoot baby..and call cons....? and loose mama meat too.....i'm not sure..

finngun
07-31-2011, 02:44 PM
and here is railway tenderised moose -- hang him high style..http://www.iltasanomat.fi/kotimaa/pendolino-singautti-hirven-ajolangoille-suu-lensi-auki/art-1288404439314.html

Jelvis
07-31-2011, 02:53 PM
If you shot cow, you cancel valid tag for the cow you got. Someone will come along with another cow/calf tag and see the wondering calf, it will come close at first to smell mom and see her but it will go away after a while.
The calf will eat some twigs and drink mineral water but since it hasn't been taught yet cuz it's so young, a wolf might kill it. If it makes it to the snow time, then it's going to have a problem, with deep snow.
Always follow BC Trapping and Hunting regulations to the T. Read them and memorize.
Only shoot what you are validated to shoot.
Mamma Nature will watch over the wild animals a lot better than you flinnigan.
You will have a choice to make, make the right legal one, then you will be happy.
Jelvis .. If your not sure ( Don't Shoot ) Finicky Flannigan is it real or a manicanmoo

.300wsm
07-31-2011, 02:57 PM
Hey Jelvis quit confusing the guy just give him the Gps cooridants to the tree its hanging in..

jml11
07-31-2011, 10:08 PM
Meat? about 40 pounds deboned lol. I ain't joking either lol.

I lost half of my calf last year to a grizz and still put 36 lbs of meat in the freezer all said and done. It was a female and a bit on the smaller side in my opinion. 80 lbs of meat is more realistic.

Jelvis
08-01-2011, 11:59 AM
The point is you can have 50 to 80 pounds of meat off a calf moose that's 4 months old.
Most people mix up a calf moose with a yearling moose. A calf is not a yearling and a yearling is not classed as a calf. One is 4 months old the other 16 months.
By October.
You can have way more great moose meat from a yearling moose .. need leh first
Jel .. Get your facts first then, then you can distort them as you please. lol. imho only

barry1974w
08-01-2011, 01:07 PM
Yearling moose.... Spike fork bull in most situations without LEH.

finngun
08-01-2011, 02:08 PM
well- calf-cow moose hunter is able to legally take spike bull too..of course only one of those..

Jelvis
08-01-2011, 02:43 PM
If you see a yearling cow moose you need a cow moose leh. Hello Jello.
Jel .. A line, is a dot that went for a walk, lol. If your in doubt don't shoot.
Wait to see a group of moose then compare sizes of the two or three you see ..
If one moose is a lot bigger than the other ones take note, why does one appear much larger than the other moose? Think and get your bino's out or have a fitting on your window for a spotting scope and eye the moose closely.
The moose aren't going to fly away. Relax, observe, be aware of the mooses body language and compare the size. Length of face and nose, a calf has a pudgy short baby face and a smaller nose than a mature moose just like a human has when young, very small nose and no knee caps. Less than half the size of a mother moose.
A yearling cow standing beside a mature moose would appear almost the same size as a mature moose therefore too big for a four month old milk drinking baby moose.
Go to the local rancher and see the whiteface cattle a 4 month old baby calf is a lot smaller than a 16 month old yearling heifer, way bigger, check the comparison and translate it into wild cow and bull moose.
"Do not go were the path may lead go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson-

Jelvis
08-01-2011, 06:31 PM
For you flannigan a cow/calf is right up your alley, you see two moose that appear to be a cow and a calf moose together, you have a valid cow-calf leh ticket to rock, now what?
Now what you say, stop jump out and, "Hold it!. You check for knobs of antlers first to see if it's a three point bull moose with a yearling. Your looking through your bino's I hope?
Always slow down the emotions and fever when you see those Canadian moose standing or moving along a dirt road back in moose country. Slow down and think of your mental list when you first see that cow or calf moose, slowdown, stop, look, clear shot line, get out, prepare for a steady place to shoot from by observation, load, go prone, aim, FIRE! POW! You already saw a dirt forested back ground behind moose
See what the animal is doing after shot, prepare for a second shot in case.
That sort of thing, make a mental list and follow it to a T.
Jel What do you get if you pour hot water down a rabbit hole? Hot cross bunnies!

finngun
08-01-2011, 09:09 PM
thanks jelll..---///See what the animal is doing after shot.///.. if animal is still milking mama...something is afully wrong..time to change a hobby.....like lace-making or something like that

moosinaround
08-01-2011, 09:46 PM
My bull calf last year was around 140lbs of tender vittles!! Have had a calf go 180 a bunch of years ago, and have had them go 120, but never 40lbs!! This is bone in of course, field dressed and skinned. Actual meat?? Bet a 100 lbs anyways. Sure was a lot of meat off of mine last year!! May shoot another one this year, maybe mini moosin will shoot one too?!! Moosin

Jelvis
08-01-2011, 09:58 PM
The animal you shoot at panicky finicky flannagin. lol. You must pull the trigger to get off..a shot eh? In your mind finicky?
I see your playing stoopid ..... and your winning big time ..
I'll try once more and if you are playing some sort of mind game with us on here?
You got a thing about a mother or milking? Hobby how about sport?
Hobby is playing with a train set or tying fly's.
Hunting is a sport and a tradition part of the culture we made hunting for meat and now hunting for sport. Ok sport? lol. Good keep it that way panicky Peet.
7-03 has got so much habitat matched for moose finnigan you could get lost and lonely real qwick like. Where moose hang out, bear hang out, wolves, cougar.
You better be prepared with a dang good four buy, winch, tires, cable, chain, shovels, axe, powerful saw, lol. That's barely a start.
Finicky listen up, a moose sixteen months and older can look real big on the ground after you killed it with a well placeed shot in the vitals. Now the work starts.
If it's warm like a late, "indian summer." The meat needs to be prepared for human consumption, this is your responsibility as a valid licensed hunter. Bring all the edibles out for humane consumption.
If you can't or won't do these requirements then do not hunt moose early in the season when it's warmer out in the day. Learn how to understand like a butcher in a high class restaurant how to prepare moose for the table at it's tastiest.
Once you feel comfortable in knowledge get some experienced hunter to show you the ropes as you go. Your name Hugo? lol.
Stick to your dance classes and ah learn a lot about moose in 7-03 that you can for now.
Jelly Side Winder Mu 7-03 Got Moose? by flinnigan flannagan finicky panickyPeet.

finngun
08-02-2011, 11:11 AM
jel-- I see your playing stoopid ..... and your winning big time .. thax jel...my wife says--i dont have to play it... just be normal you--it works....wah-wah welcome to the club

Jelvis
08-03-2011, 12:02 PM
lol good one finicky, I want you to listen for a second or two and try a mind game play
You only need half a mind to do this so pritty well anyone can play it for funandgames
.. picture in your minds eyes a scenario I'll give you an example
Example 1 ... Beginning sequence -->
.............. Your driving up the Holmes River fsr in Mu 7-3 with your hunting partner
... You have all the valid cow/calf moose leh papers to hunt legally it's now or never
... As your talking to the partner and your in off the Hwy 16 on the Holmes
... Your partner and you see a couple moose in a small meadow off the road.
What would you be thinking at the time you see those moose?
and then what would you do?
Now picture this in your minds eyes from the beginning sequence.
Jel .. Picture it in your mind because our thoughts are energy and it will produce it
our thought and beliefs impact the world can you picture in your mind Flinnigan .?

finngun
08-03-2011, 03:58 PM
What would you be thinking at the time you see those moose?-- i woud be thinking----hmm.. why did i left bolt of my trusty sako back to the camp---grrr....getting old or What? ....rest is cencured wah-wah

savage30-06
08-03-2011, 04:31 PM
My calf last year was 200 pounds of meat.Dont listen to jelvis.

Jelvis
08-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Why must you be so, so ah scared to say what you would do?
name the baby wah wah wahhhhh.
Take a mental stand and btw most can't tell a calf from a yearling so don't get panicky
When driving in have you got a rifle leaning against the seat or packed in the back slack?
Do you want a 100 pounds max of boneless organic calf like veal Mcsqueel or not?
Shite or git of dah throne mon.
His Jellyne$$

finngun
08-03-2011, 04:52 PM
thanx sav...maybe jel mix kg..s and lb..s [understandable] ....200 lb calf meat is more than enough for me and to my hunting buddy + deer+grouse+ducks + only God knows what else..hardly can wait oct...oh of course white tale hunting september

maybe 'winnie the pooh' hunting too..happy to be retired--every day is like sunday...cheers...f-g

Jelvis
08-03-2011, 07:50 PM
There's no four month calf with 200 pounds of boneless meat so think b4 you stick two foots in mout ok.
I'm not mixing pounds with kilo's either Finicky. 45 kilo's max or 100 pounds.
People do not weigh the meat, how long since you had calf moose weighed on a butcher's scales when field dressed or debonered? lol. savoy brown is so wrong finnigan.
He's in a fairy land day dreaming lol, a yearling could have maybe, but not a 4 month young calf someone made a mental error in calculations my sophisticated sausage makers.
Jelly Moh Beel .. Oh pearls of wisdom lol .. good gad yah all .. is this real or is it Memorex?

savage30-06
08-05-2011, 08:39 PM
Jelvis are you a washed up 80s punk rocker or somthing?You are confusing people that are trying to put meat on the table.Try giving some useful information,like watch out for mama after you shoot her calf she can kill you or destroy your truck.

moosinaround
08-05-2011, 08:50 PM
While I was field dressing my calf last season, a lucky hunter killed mamma too! Felt bad till I realized I was gonna be eatin fine table fare this winter!! Tasty 100lbs of veal moose Jelly, and you can take that to the Bank!! MoosineatinfinecalfvealthisyearYUM!!!

Jelvis
08-05-2011, 09:11 PM
I ain't saying it is no good shooting calf moose, I think I know why calf/cow is tooled to help some one who can't tell a calf from a yearling cow moose and really screw up the hunting holiday real qwick like.
Give's a hunter a chance on cow/calf but still can't shoot a bull moose bigger than a spike/fork. Now you got to check for a third point which can be hidden by the two points on one side and a two on the tother brothers and sisters.
Otherwise it would be cayoss and mayhem driving down the moosey fsr.
Know your regz, and know your prey and where they live (the land) know yer land
Jelfish

moose69
08-06-2011, 05:59 PM
savage 30-06 is right we got 100 pounds of pure meat each from the calf last year so dont go say crap you dont have a clue about pal and as for the cow as we were driving away just at dark with baby in the back of the truck the cow ran in front of us started up the hill turned and came right at the window on my side turned at the last second and jumped up on the hood smashed in the quarter panel and i had my video camera in my hand but it happened so fast and i was so in aw i didnt get it on film would have been on youtube for sure my window was down and i saw was her huge head and little eyes coming right at me good thing she tuned and took the hood instead it could have been alot worse stop listening to jalvassss he doesnt know what he is talking about 90 percent of the time

Jelvis
08-06-2011, 06:42 PM
I don't know what to say you got me speechless, 200 pounds of deboned meat off a four month old moose calf? What was it on a supplement lol.
Biggest calf ever when alive and whole it was 400 pounds lol.
I guess it was a hundrd pounds when it was born lol, dropped and grew an amazing one hundred pounds a month sucking milk lol.
Jel .. Did you fall from the stoopid tree and hit every limb on the way down? lol.
..I got a real story to tell people a four month old baby calf moose 400 pounds lmao can I use that?

savage30-06
08-06-2011, 06:59 PM
Jelvis what are you smoking man?It says right here in the regs Calf Moose-a moose less then 12 months of age usually less then 5 feet at shoulder height weighing 200-300 pounds.It is not impossible for them to be bigger then that.

Jelvis
08-06-2011, 07:09 PM
less than 12 months a yearling is 16 months in October.
at maximum weight given at 300 pounds alive weight, then after, cutting head off, legs off and hide off with guts all out, it would now weigh 150 pounds then take all waste and bones out you got 100 pounds of boneless meat and I'm giving you an extra 20 to boot so, you said you didn't weigh the boxes also remember? lol.
So you guessed wrong admit it and get on with your life. lol.
Sometimes we make wrong assumptions in life on weights of animals we got.
The butcher won't mind he get's paid by the pound lol.
Jel .. I got one mark on the wall but please cut and run ..

moose69
08-06-2011, 07:28 PM
you for sure fell off the stupid tree! were you their no! is the average calf moose what you say yes! any idiot who reads the regs will know that!there is many people who have shot above average animals! by the sound of you should know this but yes you did fall off that grand old stupid tree right! ive got a great idea how about stop reading stuff everybody already knows and perhaps do your own hunting! oh and i have too say love those 80s wardrobes you wear and i cant forget the hair, i know who you really fake!!!!!

Gateholio
08-06-2011, 08:15 PM
moose69

Please read the rules about using INSULTS on HBC.

Some of you new guys should get used to Jelvis. He will keep going on and on in his Jelvis lingo, and it's easier to just skip right past his posts most rather then get involved in a discussion with him.

I feel sorry for some of the new guy