PDA

View Full Version : Thermal cell

bearhunter338-06
07-30-2011, 08:54 AM
I am thinking of getting myself a Themalcell, to keep the Mosquitoes away from me when I sit out on my porch. Any one use them, how well do they work.

Backcountry archer
07-30-2011, 09:27 AM
Swear by it! We use it all the time and it works excellent.

buckhunter
07-30-2011, 10:16 AM
i know a few people that use them and they love them.

hotload
07-30-2011, 10:29 AM
Ditto on all that. Heed all the advise and buy it....................

Backcountry archer
07-30-2011, 10:49 AM
I have the butane with wafer type of ThermaCELL. You can get a holster or case for it to attach to your hip or pack. I think it will work better staying stationary though.
My sister has the candle type of ThermaCELL, but I don't think it works quite as good.

Steeleco
07-30-2011, 12:35 PM
They do work great, but as the lit included will advise, they don't work too well at higher altitudes.

M.Dean
07-30-2011, 01:15 PM
I've got one that my Son bought me and it works great! We've got a covered patio on the back of the house and before I remembered to try it this year the mosquitoes and horse flies drove us nuts! I got the case on this one so you can wear it on your belt, or strap it to your pack or where ever you like. I'm real impressed with them, so go buy one, Today!

todbartell
07-30-2011, 03:57 PM
yep they work well if you're sitting in one spot

Ogopogo
07-31-2011, 07:50 PM
on sale at princess auto right now

r106
07-31-2011, 08:02 PM
on sale at princess auto right now

How much?? I just bought on today from crappy tire. I might return it if it's alot cheaper from princes auto

lunatic
07-31-2011, 08:10 PM
Yep they work. Same active ingredient as mosquito coils but about 22% more potent if memory serves me right!

Bowzone_Mikey
07-31-2011, 08:16 PM
I bought a few at PA for like 9 bucks ... love em .... way easy to refill the butane cartriges too ...

I havent been able to source the mats individually but Off Coils work great on the heated surface

here is a vid on how to refill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4tnkcShT74&feature=related

I went to scheffied and sons in my local mall and bought one of those multi tip bottles that way I have the split end tip that will fit over top of the Ronson brand nozzle that I can buy at extra foods for like $2.99

Blacktail
07-31-2011, 08:32 PM
yup
got one
works........AWESOME

ufishifish2
08-01-2011, 11:03 PM
I work in the bush atleast 5 days a week. I believe that ThermaCells are absolute garbage and do not work at all if there is any breeze at all (which there almost always is). I used them all last season with zero positive results. It was like the unit was not even working at all. I would sit up in the woods eating my lunch and gett eaten alive. I even left it burning in my truck and they would still fly in the windows to bite me!
Alas, it has sat in my truck with spare butane canisters and tonnes of those little wafer scent pads. I have not bothered to try it out even once this year. Useless!!!
Swing by and borrow mine Burke!!! These guys above are nutz. The ThermaCell smoke must be rotting their brains!

buck nash
08-02-2011, 12:08 AM
I got one a few weeks ago after reading a thread where everyone agreed they were the best thing since sliced bread. I think one poster said it changed his life!
I'm with ufish, It did nothing. We were camping at nahatlatch lake and the bugs were vicious. This did nothing to slow them down from what I could see.

lunatic
08-02-2011, 09:38 AM
I got one a few weeks ago after reading a thread where everyone agreed they were the best thing since sliced bread. I think one poster said it changed his life!
I'm with ufish, It did nothing. We were camping at nahatlatch lake and the bugs were vicious. This did nothing to slow them down from what I could see.

Well both of you guys can send me yours then if you don't want them. They seem to work great on the "Northern Variety". We were out on the Wapiti FSR last week and the little *******s were relentless. We lit up two of the Thermacells at our table and they pretty much disappeared. Yes, in a wind they are not very effective and it states that right in the instructions.

todbartell
08-02-2011, 12:18 PM
I find in the wind, the bugs aren't too bad ;)

maybe they forgot to turn them on? :D

Bowzone_Mikey
08-03-2011, 06:34 PM
I find in the wind, the bugs aren't too bad ;)

maybe they forgot to turn them on? :D

I am thinking ...

usually when there is a breeze ... the bugs generally arent around anyway ...

BCHunterTV
08-03-2011, 11:25 PM
it works great!