PDA

View Full Version : double vision

Big Lew
07-29-2011, 07:30 PM
Over the past two years, I've been struggling with seeing double sight pins when shooting my compound bow. I'm wearing bifocals, the lower 2/3's being clear, non prescription glass. It's supposedly a common problem with older folks. (I'm 65) I'm still able to see my target clearly, and am still shooting tight and consistent groups by adjusting my sights so that I aim at the top of the double vision. I've tried shooting with one eye, which helps a bit, but doesn't correct the situation. I've heard people talking about a lenses clarifier within a peep and would like to know if anyone has tried one and if it worked to reduce or eliminate seeing double sight pins. Any help would sure reduce this frustration and be appreciated, thanks.

Bowzone_Mikey
07-29-2011, 08:31 PM
yep I shoot with one when I use a lens in my sight ....
look here
http://www.specialtyarch.com/products-page/clarifiers/

you will need a new peep to insert the clarifier in
http://www.specialtyarch.com/products-page/peeps/14-large-peeps/
something like that ... I use a superball peep in my target bows

donny.brooke
07-31-2011, 06:23 AM
i think what you are looking for is a varifier, they are used with a sights that dont have a lens in them, a clarifier is used in conjunction with a lens on a sight to give you a power factor like a rifle scope.

Big Lew
07-31-2011, 07:40 AM
Yes, the clarifier isn't what I'm looking for, it's a rectifier, which doesn't work in conjunction with a lens on the sight ring. Haven't been able to find anyone yet with similar problems though that have used one with success. One source, (in the optometrist and lens grinding field) suggested replacing the dominant eye lens (preferably from a spare set) with a total prescription lens, eliminating the bifocal all together, and having the lens grinder alien the optimum placing of the prescription with the eye while in shooting position. His further comments stated that they do it all the time at his lab.....going to look into it further, as I know of a archery teacher that is also beginning to have problems. The rectifier might also solve the problem, especially for those that don't wear glasses. Thanks, everyone, for your comments.

Bowzone_Mikey
07-31-2011, 04:35 PM
Friend of Mine in Calgary does as you you stated with grinding his prescription closer to the nose of his glasses ... seems to work for him .. as he is usually on Canadas world cup team

Bow Walker
07-31-2011, 05:57 PM
I had a problem with the pins being blurry or fuzzy, while the target was clear. I wear glasses that have the progressive lenses in them - correcting for long, middle, and short distances. I'm of an age with Big Lew.

I tried using a clarifier along with the magnifying lens within the sight housing - left the pins blurry, but cleaned up the target just fine.

Then I tried a verifier without any magnifying lens in the sight housing. The target was still clear (because of my glasses) and now the pin(s) are clear as well - because of the verifier.

If I recall correctly, the verifier comes in with a pink dab of paint on it(?) It's inly one strength - most people only need this one strength to correct the problem. Anyway, it works great - but as BZM said you will need a Specialty Peep to screw the verifier into the aperture.

Big Lew
07-31-2011, 07:23 PM
Thanks for your information, "Bow Walker", you've spelled it out very clearly. May I bother you with 2 more questions?

On another site-- responders stated they had problems seeing through the verifier if looking toward the sun....have you been bothered with this phenomenon?
--responders also cautioned that the Specialty Peep was a bit heavy, and might dislodge on high speed bows. Would you think this is a valid
concern?

Bowzone_Mikey
07-31-2011, 08:48 PM
Thanks for your information, "Bow Walker", you've spelled it out very clearly. May I bother you with 2 more questions?

On another site-- responders stated they had problems seeing through the verifier if looking toward the sun....have you been bothered with this phenomenon?
--responders also cautioned that the Specialty Peep was a bit heavy, and might dislodge on high speed bows. Would you think this is a valid
concern?

sun shooting ... I have seen this before .. and ya thats pretty valid You can get the model with a shade hood or at 3d shoots get yer buddy to stand beside you with his hat in hand and shade your peep, while hunting ... stick to the shadows a bit more and choose your shot if you think it will be a problem ....as far as the specialty peep being heavy ... its way lighter than a peep with tubing .. ya its heavier than a few tubeless peeps out there ... but by 4 grains at most .... .... as far as on fast bows dislodging ... Cant say I have ever had that problem and I have had one installed on all my horney speed bows, (Hoyt Super Tec, Bowtechs 101 and 82 airbornes, Martin Fury etc all IBO speed ratings at better than 330fps....) I have even shot them without tying them in to be certain of where I need them ... Install them correctly in the middle of the string (not with 20 strands on one side and 4 on the other ... serve them in correctly and they will not go anywhere .... I can see them leaving the string if the bow was dry fired however and not tied in properly.

Big Lew
07-31-2011, 09:09 PM
Great! Thanks "Bowzone_Mikey," for thoroughly answering my inquiries. It looks like my best approach would be modifying a spare pair of glasses, but if that's too costly, or it's difficult to find a lab to customize a lens, I'll try a 'pink dot' verifier, as "Bow Walker" suggests.

Bow Walker
08-01-2011, 06:41 PM

concern?
Mine hasn't been a problem as far as coming loose is concerned - just make sure to serve it in well...as in tight.

Shooting from sun into shade is always a problem - especially for me. Dark as all get out.

The sun would have to be at a very special angle to give you any glare in the peep verifier, but it could happen I guess. It's not happened to me yet.

Not much you can do if you're hunting, but like Mikey says, if you're at a 3D just get a buddy to shade you with his smelly, sweaty hat.....

Big Lew
08-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Now that's what this site is all about, genuine folks stepping forward to help one another, thanks, I really appreciate it....hope I'm able to help someone in return.

Big Lew
08-19-2011, 09:01 PM
Wayne, at "Big Game Archery" in Abbotsford gave me a call yesterday to advise me he finally received a 'verifier kit', and to drop by. Stopped in to-day with my bow and tried it out. There are 5 different lenses, the first one made the target sharper and very clear, but didn't reduce my problem with seeing double sight pins. As I tried each of the others in succession, the pins became more clear and the double vision was gone by the 3rd lens. The last, and most powerful lens made the pin exceptionally clear, but the target was a bit fuzzy. Please note that these lens are a vision correcting tool, not a magnifier. I am very impressed with the results and ordered the middle one. As soon as Wayne gets it in and sets it up for me, I'll let you all know how well it does, meanwhile, for those of you that are also plagued with fuzzy or double vision sights, arrange to try out a verifier kit....I think you will be astonished at how well it addresses the problem.

P.S. Take your bow with you and hold the verifier in front of your eye where your peep would be, and then hold your bow out as if you were
shooting, and aim at a target using your bow sights. This way, you are using your own pins, not the over-sized one from the kit, and you
are also insuring the pins are at your bow's set-up distance. I also found it was better to go outside and aim at a target within your normal
shooting range so that you can find a balance between a clear and sharp pin, and a reasonably clear target.

Big Lew
08-28-2011, 03:06 PM
Well, I just got back from the range after trying out my new verifier peep sight. To say that I'm satisfied is an understatement for sure! I think I picked the right one for my sight problem, because the small pins were very clear, and although the target wasn't razor sharp, they were quite clear, even in the shadows. After taking a few practice shots at 40 yards, a group of air gun enthusiasts came over to watch, putting the pressure on. I probably shot the best 8 arrow set of my life, 2 bulls eyes at 30, 2 at 40, and 1 at fifty, with 3 others within 2 1/2 inches. Only time will tell if I was just plain lucky, or it was the clear pins and new bow.