PDA

View Full Version : Pack loaded for sheep

leadpillproductions
07-28-2011, 10:37 PM
Pack so far weight 47 lbs still need to put tarp in but thats about it , Cavebear is on the rd as we speak spending the night in willy's puddle . We are heading out nice and early sat morning will be in the mnts before night fall . Sheep better watch out .

stoneguide
07-28-2011, 10:49 PM
Good luck! Hope to see some pics soon with some happy hunters. How long you packing in for? Wish my pack would slim down to that weight for my late Aug. hunt.
SG

kayjayess
07-28-2011, 10:53 PM
I am at 58 lbs this evening without any food in my pack. Bit on the hefty side.

leadpillproductions
07-28-2011, 10:55 PM
I have to be back at work on the 11th . I might freez i might starve but damit im going to get a sheep then i eat tell im sick .

kayjayess
07-28-2011, 11:06 PM
Haha, Headed out in 5 hours time - catching the 515 ferry in the morning and back on the 14th. Good luck and look forward to seeing your sheep pics when you return.

scottwh
07-28-2011, 11:12 PM
Lucky buggers! Anyone wanna trade a sheep tag for a buffalo tag LOL! Good luck to you all!

moose2
07-28-2011, 11:13 PM
My partners are heading up tomorrow to get set up. I can't make this one , so its hard to watch them go. I get my turn in late Sept at least I may be able to use my grizzly tag then. Good luck to everyone making the opener I am looking forward to the stories and the pictures. Remember when your on a mountain trying to get some sleep the night before opening day that counting sheep dosn't help. lol
Good luck everyone
Mike

Orangethunder
07-28-2011, 11:39 PM
47lbs! Nice work man. I think my pack was 147 on my first sheep trip. I only made it 200 yards that week but had fun. My next trip it was under 100 but I was about 285 so the difference was nominal. Last time my pack was about 60 with food for 8 days. Just counting the seconds until we head out on the 8th. Good luck to all who get to hunt that first week.

BCbillies
07-29-2011, 07:16 AM
Leaving within the hour . . . pack loaded for 15 days . . . 80 lbs and feels good! :)

Ruger4
07-29-2011, 07:21 AM
I leave next Aug 2012 for Mouflon in Austria !! I have a bit of time to pack !! :mrgreen:

SHAKER
07-29-2011, 07:38 AM
:cry:............. TAKE ME WITH YOU! I can't stand having to take 2 months off hunting this year!:cry: Good luck to you lucky buggers who are make'n the trek, I want to hear all about it.

Call of the Wild
07-29-2011, 07:58 AM
It's kind of hard to hear you guys going out sheep hunting. I guess there will be great stories to read before I head out.

I'm packing the backpack tonight should be around 60 pounds all loaded up.

hellojello74
07-29-2011, 08:36 AM
Have fun boys, we are all jealous.....

stoneguide
07-29-2011, 08:46 AM
Man this thread sure got the itch to get in the mountains fired up!!!! Just got the permit to accompany paper work for my goat hunt so now just have to wait and see if my new employer will give me the days to go. Im stressing now. Anyways my pack for the trip will be in that 70lb weight for 11 or 12 days. Ive hit the gym this spring and dropped 15lbs so that should help. Also carrying a rifle that is over a pound lighter so should be a bit nicer I think.

Lets get the ball rolling for 2011 guys, get some curls on the ground!!!!!!!

SG

troutseeker
07-29-2011, 11:34 AM
Ok, I would really like a list of gear for that 47 lbs pack, pretty please. when you come back and you finished caping that sheep of course!

Orangethunder
07-29-2011, 11:57 AM
Ok, I would really like a list of gear for that 47 lbs pack, pretty please. when you come back and you finished caping that sheep of course!

Probably a cast iron frying pan, 4x6 tarp, 30 rounds of ammo, roll of duct tape, axe and 5lbs of salt. Isn't that mandatory sheep gear?

leadpillproductions
07-29-2011, 12:16 PM
Man is this tough to do on a cell phone , i will try to list gear tonight if i have time still a bit of stuff to do afger i get off work

BiG Boar
07-29-2011, 12:42 PM
Just got into Fort Nelson. 18days in the wild! Can't wait...

Feel sorry for most of the guys reading this from home.

pappy
07-29-2011, 12:50 PM
I have my pack at 49.5 lbs right now, I need a couple more mountain house mush packs and to pick up a new rain jacket and I'm good to go. Again this year its only a four day trip but I'm happy to get out there.

LYKTOHUNT
07-29-2011, 01:04 PM
Leaving Sept 10 pack weighs about 6000lb, moose hunting, 20 ft travel trailer LOL
I envy you sheep hunters, one day . Have fun, be safe, and all come back.

cavebear
07-29-2011, 02:48 PM
my packs at 80, told lead i want to see what hes bringing because im not giving up my food or clothes :)

kayjayess
07-29-2011, 03:58 PM
Just leaving Quesnel now. Will be a long drive through the night for our early morning arrival up north. Airplane is leaving at 830 tomorrow so there is some motivation. Final weight for 15 days was 81 pounds.

yukon john
07-29-2011, 05:09 PM
In Vancouver airport right now headed for whitehorse, then a plane ride back into bc, good luck boys and stay safe.

mark
07-29-2011, 09:45 PM
All my sheep gear for 2 weeks is spread out on the rec room floor, looks like lots of stuff, havnt weighed it yet! I roll on friday the 5th.

leadpillproductions
07-29-2011, 11:16 PM
Well the weight came in at 52lbs leaving at five in the morning everyone have a great trip will return with lots of pics and video.

leadpillproductions
07-30-2011, 04:35 AM
435am loaded up just heading out wish everyone luck

ryanb
07-30-2011, 04:56 AM
Leaving ft Nelson right now, the boats loaded with 120 gallons of fuel and packs are loaded for 14 days. Good luck boys.

Backcountry archer
07-30-2011, 10:10 AM
Pack so far weight 47 lbs still need to put tarp in but thats about it , Cavebear is on the rd as we speak spending the night in willy's puddle . We are heading out nice and early sat morning will be in the mnts before night fall . Sheep better watch out .
That's impressive weight for a pack full of hunting gear etc.

It is so rewarding every time you manage to lower your pack weight by even a pound at the very most.

Good luck on your hunt.................wish I was heading up there.

Backcountry archer
07-30-2011, 10:20 AM
Man is this tough to do on a cell phone , i will try to list gear tonight if i have time still a bit of stuff to do afger i get off work

So you can keep us posted along the way? At least until you start out on the trail?

Remmy
07-30-2011, 02:10 PM
heading out on the 5th, packed unpacked,packed,unpacked hoping to be 55lbs with my rifle. This is for a seven day hunt.

Good Luck.

leadpillproductions
08-03-2011, 08:34 AM
Well trip was cut way to short , my cronic feet problem screwed me again . we did put a stock on two legal sheep one a real crancker . There was a ton of people in the valley and all over the mnt had the sheep on a mnt that u cant get to unless your a sheep lol . Then on the way down yesterday from the mountain we had our trail marked with flag tape to help us down in the dark to get to camp some jack ass took our markers down and threw them in our camp , We had full intentions to removing our tapes when we were finished with the hunt .So we desided to pull up hunt and head home n ot wanting to be in the valley with a hunter like that not knowing if they were on their way out and out truck being next . So if the person happen's to be from hbc i would like to have a little chat with you thx. will post pics in the next few days .

Iron Sighted
08-03-2011, 09:59 AM
Sorry to hear about your foot issue and your trip being cut short, as well as the the problem with your markers being removed. I know how you feel though, just got back from a hiking trip with my wife, was supposed to be a couple nights out but she was feeling bad halfway in to the first day and throwing up throughout the first night so we packed up and came back the next day, then on the trip out my new hunting boots(took them to try and break 'em in) were giving my feet some real grief, still a little sore this morning too. Oh well, at least like yourself we still got out and got to see some beautiful scenery, though we didn't see any sheep like you did(I wish, would've made my day), we did see a bunch of marmots lol.

spear
08-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Sorry to hear that, Hopefully next year is another story and you can bury one into that cranker Ram. Looking forward to the pics

RJ
08-03-2011, 01:24 PM
Thats a tough break. Lots of time left if you're feet heal up!

gbear
08-03-2011, 09:01 PM
Know how you feel. My sheep trip ended before it started this year. My partner injured himself training 2 days before we were to leave.

leadpillproductions
08-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Ya it sucked had two real nice ones spotted , feel bad for my hunting buddy cavebear (sean) but he was a stand up guy and will be doing hunts with him in the future thats for sure . Very stand up guy!

todbartell
08-03-2011, 10:42 PM
what's wrong with your feet? No problems during summer training? Too bad your hunt was cut short, its alot of travel miles for a couple days in the hills. Better luck next time

leadpillproductions
08-03-2011, 10:52 PM
The doc figures its gought they did some tests a couple weeks back to see if kidneys r giving to much of an acid that flares up from time to time ,no feeling in big toes cant bend them .very painfull

troutseeker
08-03-2011, 11:15 PM
Really sorry to hear about your problems and the jackass on the hill. Next year man!

I had to cancel this year, my knee is not as strong as I'd like it to be yet, the surgeon did tell me 2 years after an ACL graft, I thought i'd be ok sooner, but not strong enough yet.

I'm real interested in your gearlist to reach that 57 pounds, please?

BCHunterTV
08-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Sorry to hear...get better and get out there next year

hunter1947
08-04-2011, 02:23 AM
Maybe for next year you can do something about toughening up the bottoms of you feet before you go on this hunt or better sock and foot wear ??? maybe walking around on the open ground with out foot wear on or something that will put some thickness on the bottom of your feet ????.

And yes you are right there are all kinds of jack asses out there in the wild and they don't stop and think for a moment that hey maybe this means something to someone ells that is hunting in here.

Don't be disappointed with the outcome of your hunt you seen fantastic counting on your hunt as for sheep you learned from this year what to do for next years sheep hunt.

looking forward to your seeing your pictures that is something special to have from a hunt from hi up in the sheep mountains ,there will be next year my friend :) ..

Brambles
08-04-2011, 06:15 AM
field amputation would have worked too, christ, you got 10 toes, you could have spared one or two to get a good ram.

Coming_out_heavy.
08-04-2011, 08:58 AM
Im the guy who took down your marking tape. I didnt know you had just put it up, I was cleaning up after some meat head as far as I was concerned. I found garbage all over that damn valley. AND I have footage of the ram you were after as you and the other 8 people around you were all after the same sheep, what a gong show in there. Also, if you wanna have that chat, I live in Fort Nelson too..... There is no need to put up 60 marking ribbons ALONG A CREEK for god sake.

bigwhiteys
08-04-2011, 09:19 AM
Im the guy who took down your marking tape. I didnt know you had just put it
up, I was cleaning up after some meat head as far as I was concerned. I found
garbage all over that damn valley. AND I have footage of the ram you were after
as you and the other 8 people around you were all after the same sheep, what a
gong show in there. Also, if you wanna have that chat, I live in Fort Nelson
too..... There is no need to put up 60 marking ribbons ALONG A CREEK for god
sake.

Bahahahahaha..... Sounds like an August 1st hunt up Laboucane creek! One way in.... One way out... And a valley full of hunters.

Carl

moose2
08-04-2011, 09:21 AM
Im the guy who took down your marking tape. I didnt know you had just put it up, I was cleaning up after some meat head as far as I was concerned. I found garbage all over that damn valley. AND I have footage of the ram you were after as you and the other 8 people around you were all after the same sheep, what a gong show in there. Also, if you wanna have that chat, I live in Fort Nelson too..... There is no need to put up 60 marking ribbons ALONG A CREEK for god sake.

So your footage is of a live one or did you get one. How were the creek crossings up that way. Have you heard of rams being taken yet.
Mike

Slee
08-04-2011, 09:26 AM

That's awesome, it really is a small world.

Coming_out_heavy.
08-04-2011, 09:35 AM
You know the place bigwhiteys. So does your dad. Another note for ol leadpill...... who the hell walks up a small valley when you are the FIFTH car to park at the trail head? I felt dirty being the second one in.... Thats my last opener hunt that isnt by plane or boat. And I am not kidding about 8 people being on that same ram either. I watched 2 guys watching the ram, watched 2 guys stalking the ram, I was with a guy above the ram watching all this shit show, and then walking out I find a ribbon trail with ribbons 15 feet apart marking a trail that is ALONG a creek. ( not exagerating ). The good news is the ram gave this whole mess the slip.

And about taking the ribbons down. By this point in the trip, I had found piles of garbage, 4 tarps, fuel canisters, an old sweater, plastic bags. I planned to take garbage I could carry out with me and then when the ribbons went right to your tent I tossed them there for you to pack. That is a disgustingly dirty valley garbage wise. Whether it is the resident hunters or the guide, a few people should be ashamed of themselves. How long does it take you to get up a mountain hanging that much ribbon anyway??? holy shyit.

Coming_out_heavy.
08-04-2011, 09:36 AM
Its live, the sheep gave everyone the slip. He is a real beauty. If he lives another year..... wow.

So your footage is of a live one or did you get one. How were the creek crossings up that way. Have you heard of rams being taken yet.
Mike

bigwhiteys
08-04-2011, 10:02 AM
You know the place bigwhiteys. So does your dad.

I can't stop laughing.... Maybe some should refer back to the sheep hunting etiquette thread. These kind of conditions don't make for a fun hunt... Especially a sheep hunt.

Carl

leadpillproductions
08-04-2011, 10:16 AM
Ya thanks for that , could have been a hard walk of the bluff at night , screwing with someones safety really not that cool . Not knowing if we were still useing is a different story . Did seem a little fishy we we just used trail then 1hr latter tape was gone looks like u were on the trail hiding not sure how we missed each other .

leadpillproductions
08-04-2011, 10:26 AM
I didnt see much for garbage but we did try to stay out of everyones way and just stick to the one part of area . I take it u were the one with white jeep?

358mag
08-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the update theres alway 2 sides to every hunting story and when it comes to Stone's sheep hunts theres alway a few more !!!!!
Next year there will be 16+ guys chasing that ram around

leadpillproductions
08-04-2011, 10:43 AM
I would like to say the garbage wasnt from us thats for sure , the tape yes but we were useing it lol.

todbartell
08-04-2011, 11:42 AM
GPS work well for setting waypoints. Think of it as invisible marking tape

bigwhiteys
08-04-2011, 02:13 PM
I'd love to hear the story the "first" guy up the drainage would tell... hahahaha... Works hard and plans carefully to be there early, spent a bunch of coin on new gear, works his ass off to hike up the drainage, Surprise! The same scenario probably played itself out in several locations guaranteed, minus the flagging tape.

Next year there will be 16+ guys chasing that ram around

That ram might not make next year... There is enough info in this thread already I'd expect someone who knows the country to be on him quite quickly.

Carl

bigbear1985
08-04-2011, 02:32 PM
I can say that ram is dead pm me for pics ill only reply to certin ones

moose2
08-04-2011, 05:27 PM
Ya thanks for that , could have been a hard walk of the bluff at night , screwing with someones safety really not that cool . Not knowing if we were still useing is a different story . Did seem a little fishy we we just used trail then 1hr latter tape was gone looks like u were on the trail hiding not sure how we missed each other .
I have used small chunks of toilet paper hung on branches to mark trails it shows up really well at night when a light hits it. If you end up heading out another way it will dissolve after a couple rains. There will be no ribbon hanging there for years to come.
Mike

proguide66
08-04-2011, 05:51 PM
I would like to say the garbage wasnt from us thats for sure , the tape yes but we were useing it lol.
I am NOT trying to sound like a 'dick' with this post but this is an honest question.
In such a small area I am quite curious as what is going through the mind of the 5th vehicle driver when he parks there and heads on up??...the 'spot' is 'just' big enough for two vehicles at the same time..but FIVE???
Also , while hiking along a creek bed wich is 100 yrds wide and coming from a box end drain , WHY would you leave 12" strips of red tape along the creek bed every 15 ft just inside the bush line??..the ONLY way a guy could get lost in that place is if he went in blind with a seeing eye dog and wolves killed it in the night...NO other way to get lost.
We find lines of blue.red,pink tape on our trails in the NE often and no one ever seems to take em out...bit of an eye sore in that paradise up there:-?.

mfarrally
08-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Ha sounds like you guys all had fun. 5 trucks for 1 area....add huge grizzlies, poached sheep and i would have said you were in the tat.

bigwhiteys
08-04-2011, 06:42 PM
ProGuide isn't really exaggerrating on this drainage... It's not large, you can reach the head in less than 7 hours hike and it's one way in, one way out. It would be incredibly tough to get lost in there, even in the dark.

Sheep Hunting Etiquette (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?69754-Sheep-Hunting-etiquette&highlight=sheep+hunting+etiquette)

Carl

Orangethunder
08-04-2011, 06:49 PM
Boy I thought about doing a walk in until I read this. 45 guys, garbage everywhere and double parking sounds more like fishing the Vedder than hunting Stones. At least nobody got hurt.

blackbart
08-04-2011, 07:42 PM
I know of some guys that are always looking for "lightly used" back packing gear if anyone has some for sale. The type of gear that results in a 47 pound pack for a ten or so day hunt would be puurrfekt!

Coming_out_heavy.
08-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Shyit it wasnt THAT bad in there!

willy442
08-04-2011, 07:46 PM
Clearly a quality resident Stone Sheep Hunt. One with lots of hunters and opportunity. Why all the grumbling, it should be clear. Open up resident opportunity and then sit back and watch the gong show. ABSOLUTLEY HILARIOUS!

Bet there are some guy's out there now supporting LEH in high access areas.

358mag
08-04-2011, 08:06 PM
Clearly a quality resident Stone Sheep Hunt. One with lots of hunters and opportunity. Why all the grumbling, it should be clear. Open up resident opportunity and then sit back and watch the gong show. ABSOLUTLEY HILARIOUS!

Right on Willy442 that should get the BCWF crew going, fire up the popcorn machine and put a few more cold beer in the cooler and dont forget its still the outfitter-guide fault

leadpillproductions
08-04-2011, 08:37 PM
LOL IT wasnt for getting lost lol it was for coming down a tricky hole filled if u could call it a trail .Well u guys have fun with the tread !

Coming_out_heavy.
08-04-2011, 08:47 PM
No William.

Gateholio
08-04-2011, 08:57 PM
The rams got away so no conservation concern so no need for leh

willy442
08-04-2011, 09:29 PM
The rams got away so no conservation concern so no need for leh

Better read through again Gates. The Ram was shot by some one else. Point being I'm sure all were happy to awake and see each other. Small spot of which I know well. The garbage left by clowns in there is as rediculous as 8 hunters looking at each other. Then again, I guess if you don't know any better when it comes to hunting sheep they were probably all happy. LMAO.

Coming_out_heavy.
08-04-2011, 09:33 PM
LEH areas can be crowded too. It was a screwup, one that can be avoided by having a backup plan for your backup plan. I know some fishing holes that get crowded too, we gonna LEH fishing now willy? I'll do my part and not hunt areas on the opener that are easy to access. Lesson learned, nothing more really.

And gatehouse, that ram MAY have gotten dusted. Still hoping for a reply from the guy who said he had it down. I think it was more pretty than big anyway, not that THAT is a bad thing!

Gateholio
08-04-2011, 09:43 PM
I will believe it was killed when I see pics. Talk is cheap!! :)

willy442
08-04-2011, 09:49 PM
LEH areas can be crowded too. It was a screwup, one that can be avoided by having a backup plan for your backup plan. I know some fishing holes that get crowded too, we gonna LEH fishing now willy? I'll do my part and not hunt areas on the opener that are easy to access. Lesson learned, nothing more really.

And gatehouse, that ram MAY have gotten dusted. Still hoping for a reply from the guy who said he had it down. I think it was more pretty than big anyway, not that THAT is a bad thing!

Not talking about LEH every where. Just in the highly accessible areas along the hwy. It would be best for sheep and hunters. Unless you have blinders on like FD and a few others. But then again if you're the second to 8th guy in you deserve what you get. I just feel for the first guy that got to watch the gong show come up the valley.

willy442
08-04-2011, 09:53 PM
I will believe it was killed when I see pics. Talk is cheap!! :)

Like I said. I know the country well and valleys, in every direction the flood of hunters, would have been the same. That Ram would need better protection than Osama Bin Laden had, to survive past Aug 3rd.

leadpillproductions
08-04-2011, 09:55 PM
I do appreciate the area willy with out your help i wouldnt have known about the area ,i dont think i would go up for the opener but it sure is a beauty of a valley hey and i did get to see two legal rams . It is my fault for not having a backup plan that wont happen next time thats for sure . That is why we didnt push further up the valley stuck to the little part we were hunting .

Gateholio
08-04-2011, 10:01 PM
Even if one ram is dead, there still is no conservation concern so no need for leh....

358mag
08-04-2011, 10:30 PM
Like I said. I know the country well and valleys, in every direction the flood of hunters, would have been the same. That Ram would need better protection than Osama Bin Laden had, to survive past Aug 3rd.
Just wait Willy BCWF will be the sheeps body guards next year no worrys its all good no conservation concerns

moose2
08-04-2011, 10:50 PM
[QUOTE=proguide66;957140]I am NOT trying to sound like a 'dick' with this post but this is an honest question.
In such a small area I am quite curious as what is going through the mind of the 5th vehicle driver when he parks there and heads on up??...the 'spot' is 'just' big enough for two vehicles at the same time..but FIVE???

I am with you on this one Steve.
One vehicle parked at a trail head to a box canyon would be enough for me to hit plan B and move on. I like to know that I am the only one in there. I prefer to pick areas with a way out the back even if its steep. That way I can move on if someone shows up, and not loose out on the ground I covered. Chances are if the drainage is full of people the sheep will be over the top as well so if I have to walk another day to find some I will do what it takes. These people that hunt the same areas are decreasing their odds as well as everyone elses. It dosn't make much sence to me. I don't like to light a fire in sheep country I was told by an old sheep hunter that is the quickest way to let a smart ram know your there. I am sure a bowl with 5 hunting parties in it would be full of smoke smell.
I haven't heard back from my partners yet, has anyone had any news about rams being shot yet.
Good luck to all the sheep hunters ( now or later )
Mike

Kirby
08-04-2011, 11:04 PM

And how long has this flood of hunters been occuring? And yet on a 3 day hunt the newbie guy with no experience and medical issues is still able to stalk legal rams? Seems like you just have a burning desire to restrict residents from doing what they have been doing for decades. Glad to hear the rams are hitting the ground and Willy442 is back to try and ruin resident hunting.

But hey what do I know, I'm just sitting here mac and cheese.

cavebear
08-04-2011, 11:06 PM
willy and lead thank you for an amazing experience,

Never done it before and definately learned somethings, as lead has stated the marker tape was due to loose rock covered in moss and holes in the trail, I like to do everything I can to ensure safety.

And in the end it was a good trip because we saw some sheep I got to travel from nanaimo to toad river and took some great pics,
Thanks again lead for an amazing experience sorry if it had negative effects on anyone elses trip.
Sincerely,
cavebear

leadpillproductions
08-04-2011, 11:40 PM
Not a problem would do a hunt with u anytime , with out the feet issues i have no doubt we would have both shot a ram ,mine ofcourse would have been the bigger of the two.

leadpillproductions
08-04-2011, 11:46 PM
http://thumbp2-sk1.thumb.mail.yahoo.com/tn?sid=2818305615&mid=ADvHtEQAAYI1TjuNPgsYVwcJ2Yw&midoffset=1_414702&partid=3&f=458&fid=Inbox&w=717&h=478&httperr=1
Here is one of the little guys that that was hangin with the big boys

fireguy
08-04-2011, 11:47 PM
This is why I would rather go for stones in October, the hunting pressure is nothing compaired to August, there is the weather issue at times but I find it very enjoyable and all you August hunters are moose hunting or trying to find the elusive monster mulie

willy442
08-05-2011, 01:00 AM
And how long has this flood of hunters been occuring? And yet on a 3 day hunt the newbie guy with no experience and medical issues is still able to stalk legal rams? Seems like you just have a burning desire to restrict residents from doing what they have been doing for decades. Glad to hear the rams are hitting the ground and Willy442 is back to try and ruin resident hunting.

But hey what do I know, I'm just sitting here mac and cheese.

Kirby: As a matter of fact I sent the newbie into the area, with alot of information. One would think though that when people are parked at the trail head, others would move on. Unfortunately in our resident hunting circles it is clear this does'nt happen. TOO MANY IDIOTS out there.

Like most on this site you babble before you have any idea what you are talking about. Guess we should leave sheep management to you, gates and a few others on here.

willy442
08-05-2011, 01:03 AM
Even if one ram is dead, there still is no conservation concern so no need for leh....

Gone from; Chef to Moderator, to wannabe guide/packer, to BCWF advocate and Biologist. Quite an accomplishment for a guy from Pemberton.

Coming_out_heavy.
08-05-2011, 01:52 AM
Willy, the fellas you sent there with alot of information were the fifth vehicle to park there for god sake. Holy christ man, if a career of sheep hunting turns a guy into a miserable old prik like you then holy shyit im gonna quit before that happens. Im sure there was the odd gong show even back in your hayday in the 60s.

GoatGuy
08-05-2011, 01:57 AM
Kirby: As a matter of fact I sent the newbie into the area, with alot of information.

Being the guy who preaches conservation and spreading hunters out it's shocking that you would send more people into the areas you've stated require LEH.

Really makes no sense.

Heard you did this with a young guy last year as well.

Why not send people into some of the tougher spots where they can put some boot leather down and spread themselves out?

willy442
08-05-2011, 06:29 AM
Being the guy who preaches conservation and spreading hunters out it's shocking that you would send more people into the areas you've stated require LEH.

Really makes no sense.

Heard you did this with a young guy last year as well.

Why not send people into some of the tougher spots where they can put some boot leather down and spread themselves out?

There are pockets and places in many of these valley's that never see people. When given knowledge of these places one may go right in amongst the idiots and still find the Rams others have walked by.

When one is going to help a newbie and send them on trip into sheep country. I believe one should some what assess the capabilities and knowledge of the other and first and foremost not set him in a situation that could result in undue hardship. This being the sitution here as the posts indicate.

Last thing Mr. Zeman. I do help newbie sheep hunters. Who have you offered anything other than studies and stats? Also according to your prior posts. There seems to be no concern with accessible sheep along the highway. So where's the problem?

willy442
08-05-2011, 06:32 AM
Willy, the fellas you sent there with alot of information were the fifth vehicle to park there for god sake. Holy christ man, if a career of sheep hunting turns a guy into a miserable old prik like you then holy shyit im gonna quit before that happens. Im sure there was the odd gong show even back in your hayday in the 60s.

COH; Not that miserable. Just the mightyness of some on here pisses me off. Other fact. The kid was told to be in there prior to the season ready for opening day or to expect it to be allready occupied.

moose2
08-05-2011, 07:14 AM

Hey Willy
Would you not be concerned about them starting LEH for stone sheep, and then have the MOE coming up with the idea of opening it for any size ram in order to sell more LEH cards. I could see it 300 to 1 odds for a any size ram near the hiway. Then you would see 5 and 6 year old "dink" rams being taken in these areas by hunters that may have never hunted sheep if there wasn't a lottery for an easier ram. I think from other posts of yours that I have read this would upset you and is not the direction you think sheep managment should go in. I was just wondering what your thoughts were on this subject.
Thanks Mike

bigwhiteys
08-05-2011, 07:40 AM
Being the guy who preaches conservation and spreading hunters out it's shocking
that you would send more people into the areas you've stated require
LEH.

Really makes no sense.

Heard you did this with a young guy
last year as well.

Why not send people into some of the tougher spots
where they can put some boot leather down and spread themselves out?

Truth be known, anyone who sends me a PM asking for sheep info get's the information on this area. I've probably given it out to 10+ people now... WHY on gods green earth would I (or Willy) even consider sending some dude from the Internet that I don't know into one of the "tougher" spots? We'll save those for family, close friends and serious sheep hunters. Everyone else can find their own spots or ask on here and take their chances. I quite enjoy my hunts without other people around. This site is full of sheep info vultures who'd sooner walk to a big red X or follow someone elses trail, then climb a god damned mountain and have a look around them.

Carl

leadpillproductions
08-05-2011, 07:44 AM
We were in there two days before opener,maybe i will go in a week before the opener , but calling us idoits makes you the one that looks like an idoit .No disrespect meant . I do appreciate the help from before.

Gateholio
08-05-2011, 07:50 AM
Gone from; Chef to Moderator, to wannabe guide/packer, to BCWF advocate and Biologist. Quite an accomplishment for a guy from Pemberton.

You can't change the facts that no conservation concern = no need for leh ;)

Kirby
08-05-2011, 07:52 AM
There are pockets and places in many of these valley's that never see people. When given knowledge of these places one may go right in amongst the idiots and still find the Rams others have walked by.

OR

Which one is it?

Kirby
08-05-2011, 07:54 AM
Kirby: As a matter of fact I sent the newbie into the area, with alot of information. One would think though that when people are parked at the trail head, others would move on. Unfortunately in our resident hunting circles it is clear this does'nt happen. TOO MANY IDIOTS out there.

Like most on this site you babble before you have any idea what you are talking about. Guess we should leave sheep management to you, gates and a few others on here.

Ok so you know about the gong show every year and yet you still sent them there? Just like the guys in the west koots... say they is a problem but still willing to send guys in there to hunt. Perhaps you should take a stance do you believe there is a problem? Then stop sending hunters in there.

Gateholio
08-05-2011, 07:55 AM
COH; Not that miserable. Just the mightyness of some on here pisses me off.occupied.

Now that is some funny shit right there. I actually burst out laughing :)

proguide66
08-05-2011, 08:11 AM
I do appreciate the area willy with out your help i wouldnt have known about the area ,i dont think i would go up for the opener but it sure is a beauty of a valley hey and i did get to see two legal rams . It is my fault for not having a backup plan that wont happen next time thats for sure . That is why we didnt push further up the valley stuck to the little part we were hunting .
Here is some free advice,
One obvious point is you and your freind lack experience and confidence in the bush up there.
Those mountains are steep buggers and to successfully stalk a ram in those hills you NEED to be physically capable.
Next time you want to try for a ram , go late in the season.The crowds will be thin , the rams much lower.Although some spots are close to the highway , rams are on tour all the time.We have had numerous pics of sheep on the highway and have had the same rams harvested by clients 20 miles away same season.
Next time you hit a spot where it looks like a 'private parking lot' , DONT GO THERE! Your average guy would hesitate going in 'THERE' with 1 vehicle let alone 4.
You say you didnt push farther up but guess what? those rams had 12 eyeballs on them before you saw them.This means you would most undoubtedly would compromise another hunters stalk and as well , another hunter that was there BEFORE you.
There is VERY many access areas for stone sheep in the province.They are as well not the smartest game animal to hunt.Next time do more homework and have at least 3 or 4 options for a hike as it will help keep the peace with fellow hunters and make a much better chance for you and your partner to maybe bring back a trophy.

Coming_out_heavy.
08-05-2011, 08:11 AM
Now that is some funny shit right there. I actually burst out laughing :)

Yah Gatehouse, exactly.

leadpillproductions
08-05-2011, 08:17 AM
Here is some free advice,
One obvious point is you and your freind lack experience and confidence in the bush up there.
Those mountains are steep buggers and to successfully stalk a ram in those hills you NEED to be physically capable.
Next time you want to try for a ram , go late in the season.The crowds will be thin , the rams much lower.Although some spots are close to the highway , rams are on tour all the time.We have had numerous pics of sheep on the highway and have had the same rams harvested by clients 20 miles away same season.
Next time you hit a spot where it looks like a 'private parking lot' , DONT GO THERE! Your average guy would hesitate going in 'THERE' with 1 vehicle let alone 4.
You say you didnt push farther up but guess what? those rams had 12 eyeballs on them before you saw them.This means you would most undoubtedly would compromise another hunters stalk and as well , another hunter that was there BEFORE you.
There is VERY many access areas for stone sheep in the province.They are as well not the smartest game animal to hunt.Next time do more homework and have at least 3 or 4 options for a hike as it will help keep the peace with fellow hunters and make a much better chance for you and your partner to maybe bring back a trophy.
Ya you bet thats will be the plan for next year thats for sure , we wont have that problem again , but it was a great expereance anyways , even learned a few things good and bad .

BlacktailStalker
08-05-2011, 08:25 AM
A guy went sheep hunting. A bunch of other guys went sheep hunting. They all went to the same spot. They all probably spent their 2 weeks off rat racing with other guys for the same sheep. Obviously none had morals, leaving garbage and to ignorant to back off and let whoever they saw stalking the ram, have a chance at the ram.
What a shitty way to spend days off, competing with other guys, looking at other guys garbage.
I bet the next drainage over was empty, but too 'hard' to get to or too far :lol:

willy442
08-05-2011, 09:12 AM
We were in there two days before opener,maybe i will go in a week before the opener , but calling us idoits makes you the one that looks like an idoit .No disrespect meant . I do appreciate the help from before.

Leadpill; Relax buddy, I was not refering to you as an idiot. You are a new sheep hunter that went out hunting on information from an old guide. You made it into the area, found sheep, and made it out. That makes for a successful starter trip regardless of those on here that are chucking shit at you. The only issue I have with what you did was the ribboning and if your plan was to remove every piece of it prior to leaving, then I fail to have an issue with that either. Good job and better luck next time, now you've got a little more knowledge than you had and that's what it's all about.

willy442
08-05-2011, 09:16 AM
Ok so you know about the gong show every year and yet you still sent them there? Just like the guys in the west koots... say they is a problem but still willing to send guys in there to hunt. Perhaps you should take a stance do you believe there is a problem? Then stop sending hunters in there.

Why would I. The BCWF and it's members (the resident hunters of BC) see no issue with sheep along the highway. I think it's a better idea to keep building up the gong show until something is done about it.

willy442
08-05-2011, 09:21 AM

You and your partner were not the first parked there and still went in. Let me add both of you are experianced sheep hunters with plenty of knowledge in the area and of places to go.

willy442
08-05-2011, 09:25 AM
Hey Willy
Would you not be concerned about them starting LEH for stone sheep, and then have the MOE coming up with the idea of opening it for any size ram in order to sell more LEH cards. I could see it 300 to 1 odds for a any size ram near the hiway. Then you would see 5 and 6 year old "dink" rams being taken in these areas by hunters that may have never hunted sheep if there wasn't a lottery for an easier ram. I think from other posts of yours that I have read this would upset you and is not the direction you think sheep managment should go in. I was just wondering what your thoughts were on this subject.
Thanks Mike

LEH will do nothing to manage sheep. It is tool that dispurses hunters in this kind of situation. It would allow reasonable hunting close to the highway for thoise who draw instead of the August nightmare that is now out there.

Coming_out_heavy.
08-05-2011, 10:14 AM
You and your partner were not the first parked there and still went in. Let me add both of you are experianced sheep hunters with plenty of knowledge in the area and of places to go.

I have yet to be on a sheep hunt and not run into a guide or another resident hunter Willy. The 70s are gone. The days of being alone out there are gone. Its normal to have more than one hunting party in an area now, thats why we made the call to go in. Had we been the third crew in, we would have made a new plan, guaranteed.

Last year was a great example. Another group of residents were in where I went, and a guide/hunter. The area was larger than this one we are dealing with now but the piont is that even out in the middle of nowhere, where 9/10 sheep hunters will never go, there are always people around. This recent case was just a TAD overboard.

You tell me about a spot where I wont see a guide or resident hunter, and Ill call you a bullshyitter.

GoatGuy
08-05-2011, 10:51 AM

When one is going to help a newbie and send them on trip into sheep country. I believe one should some what assess the capabilities and knowledge of the other and first and foremost not set him in a situation that could result in undue hardship. This being the sitution here as the posts indicate.

Last thing Mr. Zeman. I do help newbie sheep hunters. Who have you offered anything other than studies and stats? Also according to your prior posts. There seems to be no concern with accessible sheep along the highway. So where's the problem?

I'm not the one worried about conservation, that's goes on about over-hunting and too much pressure. You complain about conservation and needing to spread hunters out, and everyone who asks you gets sent in to the same spots? Really?

GoatGuy
08-05-2011, 10:57 AM
Truth be known, anyone who sends me a PM asking for sheep info get's the information on this area. I've probably given it out to 10+ people now... WHY on gods green earth would I (or Willy) even consider sending some dude from the Internet that I don't know into one of the "tougher" spots? We'll save those for family, close friends and serious sheep hunters. Everyone else can find their own spots or ask on here and take their chances. I quite enjoy my hunts without other people around. This site is full of sheep info vultures who'd sooner walk to a big red X or follow someone elses trail, then climb a god damned mountain and have a look around them.

Carl

Send more people in to the same spots, when complaining about over-hunting? Really?

Justify it by 'saving those spots for friends, family and serioius sheep hunters'? Friends and family first, conservation last?????

Seems one of the family got a hot tip to head into one of the busy spots not too long ago - most have be on the disowned side.

Typically try to send people into spots that don't get as much pressure and warn them about spots that get hunted hard, not send them all in there. Guess there's a fundamentally different approach to hunting.

GoatGuy
08-05-2011, 11:08 AM
Best thing too Willy, is you always go off about guys shooting 7 yr olds.

Sending an inexperienced person into an area with lots of hunters just sets 'em up for rushed decision making.

Really unbelieveable.

bigwhiteys
08-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Sending an inexperienced person into an area with lots of hunters just sets
'em up for rushed decision making.

Really
unbelieveable.

Or it sends them into an easily accessible area so they can get their feet wet, hunting sheep. They saw a legal ram which is more than what many guys will see on their first trip. Anyone with 1/2 a brain and the desire to hunt sheep would have spent a few days scouting other locations or maybe learning the country a little more, you can glass the shit outta the mountains with sore feet and you drive by a LOT of sheep hunting to get that far in the first place.

Some guys take an inch and want a mile... Other guys are given the inch and they WALK the miles to learn the rest.

Seems one of the family got a hot tip to head into one of the busy spots not too
long ago - most have be on the disowned side.

What are you talking about? It's been 5 years at least since I've been up there. It's actually a good spot for late season hunters. You know sweet f-uck all about my family that isn't 4th or 5th party heresay bullshit.

Carl

Kirby
08-05-2011, 11:42 AM
LEH will do nothing to manage sheep. It is tool that dispurses hunters in this kind of situation. It would allow reasonable hunting close to the highway for thoise who draw instead of the August nightmare that is now out there.

So its about creating YOUR ideal hunt? Here is a thought from the guys that went in there...

And in the end it was a good trip because we saw some sheep I got to travel from nanaimo to toad river and took some great pics,
Thanks again lead for an amazing experience sorry if it had negative effects on anyone elses trip.
Sincerely,
cavebear

Ya you bet thats will be the plan for next year thats for sure , we wont have that problem again , but it was a great expereance anyways , even learned a few things good and bad .

Oh and from Willy:

Good job and better luck next time, now you've got a little more knowledge than you had and that's what it's all about.

So it was a succesful hunt without LEH??

GoatGuy
08-05-2011, 11:48 AM
Or it sends them into an easily accessible area so they can get their feet wet, hunting sheep. They saw a legal ram which is more than what many guys will see on their first trip. Anyone with 1/2 a brain and the desire to hunt sheep would have spent a few days scouting other locations or maybe learning the country a little more, you can glass the shit outta the mountains with sore feet and you drive by a LOT of sheep hunting to get that far in the first place.

Some guys take an inch and want a mile... Other guys are given the inch and they WALK the miles to learn the rest.

Family, friends, others, then conservation - it really makes no sense. If conservation was a true fear and somebody asked where to go, these types of spots would be the last ones on the list.

What are you talking about? It's been 5 years at least since I've been up there. It's actually a good spot for late season hunters. You know sweet f-uck all about my family that isn't 4th or 5th party heresay bullshit.

Carl

Wasn't referring to you.

bigwhiteys
08-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Family, friends, others, then conservation - it really makes no sense.

You work your a$$ off for as long as my family did learning the country up there and then tell me how much of it you want to freely giveaway to people? Over my 2 decades of going up into that country I've learned quite a bit on my own two feet too. Anyone I have provided info to knows what to expect. It's not like I say "Go Here" and then leave the rest to mystery, while I tear up with laughter at their impending misfortune. Anyone I've given info too, has been specifically told to avoid August and I've always given them a backup plan and several areas to check out. I've got literally HUNDREDS of PM's through this site for sheep info... Believe me when I say, less than 1% deserve it. Thankfully we have the right to pick and choose who receives it, everyone with sheep info has that choice.

Wasn't referring to you.

Well I only know of 1 active sheep hunter in the family...? Ask Bridger where he sheep hunts(ed) with my Uncle, pretty sure it isn't there.

Carl

bigbear1985
08-05-2011, 12:26 PM
did i miss anyone? im sorry for the one pic i tried to crop out the back ground a bit but the close up ones you can sure tell its the ram. to bad we shot in in the horn we are going to lose inches on the 3rd measurement

willy442
08-05-2011, 12:33 PM
I'm not the one worried about conservation, that's goes on about over-hunting and too much pressure. You complain about conservation and needing to spread hunters out, and everyone who asks you gets sent in to the same spots? Really?

You make statements like that. Correct me if I'm wrong. But do you not actively involve yourself in the BCWF an organization that is supposed to represent resident hunting in the province. I see it clearly now "you still see unlimited opportunity at the expense of wildlife as the way to go".

willy442
08-05-2011, 12:39 PM
Best thing too Willy, is you always go off about guys shooting 7 yr olds.

Sending an inexperienced person into an area with lots of hunters just sets 'em up for rushed decision making.

Really unbelieveable.

Actually; I believe after many emails and tips, the people involved were probably better qualified and able to judge a set of sheep horns prior to squeezing the trigger than you and most on this site. Like I said " if you are going to help out a newbie it's a little more involved than x on a map".

Again another shit slinging email from one of our up and becoming BCWF leadership candidates. Amazing and yes UNBELIEVEABLE!

willy442
08-05-2011, 12:42 PM
So its about creating YOUR ideal hunt? Here is a thought from the guys that went in there...

Oh and from Willy:

So it was a succesful hunt without LEH??

Funny how you quote from the newbies that went in on my direction and yes they learned. What about the others?

willy442
08-05-2011, 12:45 PM
Family, friends, others, then conservation - it really makes no sense. If conservation was a true fear and somebody asked where to go, these types of spots would be the last ones on the list.

Wasn't referring to you.

You know as well as I do that if the Rams are there and mature rams are shot. Not the 6&7 year old dinks, there is no conservation concern so stop playing games.

BigBuck155
08-05-2011, 02:12 PM
Me and my dad (swampthing) are leaving in about an hour for a week up the toad river for sheep, going to be great. My dads pack wieghs 50 pounds with everything, and my pack wieghs 51 pounds with everything.

GoatGuy
08-05-2011, 02:25 PM
You work your a$$ off for as long as my family did learning the country up there and then tell me how much of it you want to freely giveaway to people? Over my 2 decades of going up into that country I've learned quite a bit on my own two feet too. Anyone I have provided info to knows what to expect. It's not like I say "Go Here" and then leave the rest to mystery, while I tear up with laughter at their impending misfortune. Anyone I've given info too, has been specifically told to avoid August and I've always given them a backup plan and several areas to check out. I've got literally HUNDREDS of PM's through this site for sheep info... Believe me when I say, less than 1% deserve it. Thankfully we have the right to pick and choose who receives it, everyone with sheep info has that choice.

Well I only know of 1 active sheep hunter in the family...? Ask Bridger where he sheep hunts(ed) with my Uncle, pretty sure it isn't there.

Carl

It's just too funny when willy complains about too many hunters off the highway, too many young rams being harvested, over-hunting, pulls the conservation card, and the need for LEH, then send people in to those spots.

The irony of the situation is tragic. From the absurd to the sublime.

elkdom
08-05-2011, 02:28 PM
Me and my dad (swampthing) are leaving in about an hour for a week up the toad river for sheep, going to be great. My dads pack wieghs 50 pounds with everything, and my pack wieghs 51 pounds with everything.

take lots of wet weather equipment/gear, recently in that area creeks out of many drainage's are very high and dangerous , do to recent heavy rains, and late snow melt.
a lot of hunters have called it quits ,and so far this Aug there is not the usual numbers of camps or hunters, so far in that area,

whitetailsheds
08-05-2011, 02:59 PM

Good luck BigBuck.....got my fire stirred up an hour ago. Saw a 167 Stone come into Corlane's....terrific bases! Great ram.....hunter had indicated he may put it on here. Anxiously awaiting my departure for Dalls, partner is doing some healing after nailing a moose last week.

Kirby
08-05-2011, 03:53 PM
Funny how you quote from the newbies that went in on my direction and yes they learned. What about the others?

Your damn right I am gonna quote the guys you sent in there. Guys that you are explicidly saying shouldn't be there... then you send them there. See the problem?

You know as well as I do that if the Rams are there and mature rams are shot. Not the 6&7 year old dinks, there is no conservation concern so stop playing games.

So its not about conservation its about your ideals. What YOU picture as a perfect hunt, what YOU want to see. At least you can admit its not about the sheep its about you.

primitive
08-05-2011, 05:49 PM
I purposely avoid going on opening day because of the crowds, and the fact that I hunt with a recurve. I've only been on 3 Stone Sheep hunts (late August, and two hunts the last 10 days of the sheep season in October). I have never seen another hunter, and albeit some of the big rams have been shot already all I am really looking for is that one ram which cranks me up and will spend days trying to get under 30 yds for the shot. For me its more relaxing not having to hurry, and less stressful than having to look over my back to see who is gonna pound him at 800 yards. Heading up on my 4th Stone hunt in 3 weeks. Good luck you guys, chill out a bit, this stuff is suppose to be fun!

...my pack generally is around 80 pounds, but i usually take my Kifaru and stove. My lab's pack is 20 pounds

LeverActionJunkie
08-05-2011, 07:41 PM
Wow sheep hunting sounds like some intense $H!T. I would hate to eff up and get chewed out for a dozen pages of the interweb. Better stick to shootin meat bucks.

Frans
08-05-2011, 08:26 PM
I get to a little over sixty pounds for a four day trip in the fall. That is excluding water for the day. And excluding the rifle. I could probably cut some with lighter gear, but I'm not very good at starving and I'm always cold, so I reckon I'll never make 47 lbs.

Oops, guess this thread took a different direction. :-)

Frans

Walking Buffalo
08-05-2011, 08:43 PM
I get to a little over sixty pounds for a four day trip in the fall. That is excluding water for the day. And excluding the rifle. I could probably cut some with lighter gear, but I'm not very good at starving and I'm always cold, so I reckon I'll never make 47 lbs.

Oops, guess this thread took a different direction. :-)

Frans

60 lbs + water + rifle :confused:

That's at least 80% of your body weight....

See you in the hills on the seventh.
Now I have no need to ask where to go, I'll just follow you. :-D

Frans
08-05-2011, 09:02 PM
60 lbs + water + rifle :confused:

That's at least 80% of your body weight....

See you in the hills on the seventh.

Now I have no need to ask where to go, I'll just follow you. :-D

Yeah, I know... It's not quite 80%, but pushing 50%. It's all a bit much. Didn't weigh the pack for the three-day hike we did last weekend, didn't feel quite that heavy. When we have that coffee maybe we can compare packing lists.

Thanks for the tea!

Frans

springpin
08-05-2011, 09:24 PM
So what did you have in your pack for a mere 47lb, would like to know.

I'm sure it will happen soon so,,,IBTL

Buck
08-05-2011, 10:19 PM
My pack is 75lbs for 14 days with everything but water.Still need to tweak things a bit.It has taken a lot of climbing to get comfortable with that weight.My hip muscles get sore so i am gradually adding more weight.Hope to get over a 100lbs into my routine so 70 feels better on Go Day.

Ambush
08-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Going sheep hunting again this year. But I don't think I'll talk about it here. People here get real pi$$ed off when you talk about sheep hunting.

moose2
08-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Going sheep hunting again this year. But I don't think I'll talk about it here. People here get real pi$$ed off when you talk about sheep hunting.

I don't I am looking forward to the pictures good luck on your trip.
Mike

todbartell
08-05-2011, 11:34 PM

quite being a dramatic whiney cry baby :mrgreen: post up a hunting story upon return about how you got screwed around by a fellow HBC'r, so it will entertain us. It's about as close as all us aspiring sheep hunters can get to being there!

Ambush
08-05-2011, 11:43 PM
quite being a dramatic whiney cry baby :mrgreen: post up a hunting story upon return about how you got screwed around by a fellow HBC'r, so it will entertain us. It's about as close as all us aspiring sheep hunters can get to being there!
OWH OWH! I didn't even go yet and you're tearing me up! I'm going to draw a cartoon of a ram butting you off a cliff and post it on here.:evil:

Gateholio
08-06-2011, 12:22 AM

If LEH does nothing to manage the sheep, then there is no point in LEH.

"Dispersing" hunters shouldn't be the job of government, unless there is a conservation concern.

There are plenty of areas that have crowded conditions for deer, elk, moose as well. Those that hunt in the crowded areas do so by choice, regardless of the species.

elkdom
08-06-2011, 08:05 AM
If LEH does nothing to manage the sheep, then there is no point in LEH.

"Dispersing" hunters shouldn't be the job of government, unless there is a conservation concern.

There are plenty of areas that have crowded conditions for deer, elk, moose as well. Those that hunt in the crowded areas do so by choice, regardless of the species.

x2! a recent online website advertisement by a GO in northern BC proclaims,

" 50x Trophy Stone Sheep taken by our Clients in 5 Years" boasting 99.9% stone Sheep hunter success, the Advertisement URGES potential Sheep hunters to BOOK NOW as GO Sheep allotments MAY change for the year 2012!

and yes, residents DO hunt this area as well!,,,,,,,,,,,,,but most residents do NOT spend $50,000 for most of their sheep hunts hiring a Licensed GO !

leadpillproductions
08-06-2011, 08:10 AM
Has anyone seen the pic of the dead ram yet , just wondering if its is a nice as i think it was.

stoneguide
08-06-2011, 08:32 AM
I love this thread. Sure maybe guys shoulod have moved on when they saw other vehicles. But like some have stated there are no conservation issues so that obviosly means there are more than enough rams for everyone. Second how do they know the other groups didnt push on into other areas? How do they know how many people stayed in the vacinity that they wanted to hunt? Many of the guys that hunt these crowded areas are guys that have little or no experience on these types of hunts they hunt them because the infromation is easy to get and it is a great stepping stone for their sheep hunting carreer.

The guys that originated this thread were sent into an area that was good for a first time sheep hunter and still had the oppertunity at legal rams. Its not unethical to hunt in a general area as someone else. It starts when guys try and beat another group that are already stalking or by hunting right on the same mountain close to where you know other hunters are. To me they had a decent hunt and barring the feet issue had agreat chance to come home with their trophy.
There are a bunch of guys critisizing the info given to these guys but i dont see Gate, Pro Guide or any of the other experts giving up any of their hidden low pressure sheep hunting hot spots.

At least the guys that went into this crowded area went and arent just sitting at home on their computer judging and critisizing everyone elses movements and hunts!

Look forward to seeing the "Internet Experts" post their stories and photos this season and see how things are supposed to be done. There will be allot of guys waiting to judge and critisize im sure once you guys hit the feild.

As for the removing of marker tape... well to me that isnt a good thing to do. Not everyone is super experienced in the backwoods. Its easy to tell if marken tape is recent so its best to leave it be unless it looks to be a year old. A guy would feel like a dick if someone got lost or hurt because you didnt want some marker tape in the area you hunt. I would for sure be pissed off if the area was littered with garbage or old marking tape all over but not if someone had recently marked their trail. Most of the time from what ive seen guys remove markers becaus ethey are mad that others are in the area not just because the markers are there.

Anyways good job putting the effort in guys and its to bad that the trip was cut short but even the bad trips to the back country are better than sitting at home.
SG

elkdom
08-06-2011, 08:40 AM
I love this thread. Sure maybe guys shoulod have moved on when they saw other vehicles. But like some have stated there are no conservation issues so that obviosly means there are more than enough rams for everyone. Second how do they know the other groups didnt push on into other areas? How do they know how many people stayed in the vacinity that they wanted to hunt? Many of the guys that hunt these crowded areas are guys that have little or no experience on these types of hunts they hunt them because the infromation is easy to get and it is a great stepping stone for their sheep hunting carreer.

The guys that originated this thread were sent into an area that was good for a first time sheep hunter and still had the oppertunity at legal rams. Its not unethical to hunt in a general area as someone else. It starts when guys try and beat another group that are already stalking or by hunting right on the same mountain close to where you know other hunters are. To me they had a decent hunt and barring the feet issue had agreat chance to come home with their trophy.
There are a bunch of guys critisizing the info given to these guys but i dont see Gate, Pro Guide or any of the other experts giving up any of their hidden low pressure sheep hunting hot spots.

At least the guys that went into this crowded area went and arent just sitting at home on their computer judging and critisizing everyone elses movements and hunts!

Look forward to seeing the "Internet Experts" post their stories and photos this season and see how things are supposed to be done. There will be allot of guys waiting to judge and critisize im sure once you guys hit the feild.

As for the removing of marker tape... well to me that isnt a good thing to do. Not everyone is super experienced in the backwoods. Its easy to tell if marken tape is recent so its best to leave it be unless it looks to be a year old. A guy would feel like a dick if someone got lost or hurt because you didnt want some marker tape in the area you hunt. I would for sure be pissed off if the area was littered with garbage or old marking tape all over but not if someone had recently marked their trail. Most of the time from what ive seen guys remove markers becaus ethey are mad that others are in the area not just because the markers are there.

Anyways good job putting the effort in guys and its to bad that the trip was cut short but even the bad trips to the back country are better than sitting at home.
SG

are YOU replying to this thread from a mountaintop, using satellite hook-up, on a laptop, while "stoneguiding" ??? lol

stoneguide
08-06-2011, 08:50 AM
Nope taking the year off. Time to hunt for myself and help some friends. 19 days till I leave for your great province to hunt for a goat and to help out two friends that are BC residents and first time sheep hunters learn the ropes some sheep area and maybe get a crack at their first rams.
SG

elkdom
08-06-2011, 08:56 AM
Nope taking the year off. Time to hunt for myself and help some friends. 19 days till I leave for your great province to hunt for a goat and to help out two friends that are BC residents and first time sheep hunters learn the ropes some sheep area and maybe get a crack at their first rams.
SG

me too, probably wont buy a sheep tag this summer, I think I will concentrate on others stories of success and hardship, maybe lend a hand recovering broken the usual, quads and boats and assorted gear,

best of luck to you,,,,

Nathaniel Poe
08-06-2011, 09:06 AM
SG

Are you going to keep with tradition and take a teenage girl cook with you so you can make sexy time with her while your wife and kids are back home in Alberta? LOL!!!!

Ovis17
08-06-2011, 09:12 AM
Where are the mods...... This is getting stupid.

leadpillproductions
08-06-2011, 09:39 AM

SG
Finally some thats gets it thanks for the post . If a guy that has no idea about sheep hunting can get into the sheep like we did wow what will i be able to do when i learn them better lol

bayou
08-06-2011, 09:54 AM
SG

Interesting sounds like your taking them after sheep in exchange for a goat one reason I dont like acompany permits. Looking forward to your "Internet Expert" story and photos.

todbartell
08-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Are you going to keep with tradition and take a teenage girl cook with you so you can make sexy time with her while your wife and kids are back home in Alberta? LOL!!!!

looks like someone has some dirty laundry!

ElectricDyck
08-06-2011, 10:04 AM
Since this thread degraded into an leh debate, here's my opinoin:
I love BC's great opportunitys to hunt. A guy on a small budget can still have success without horses, quads, planes etc. by researching areas, exploring, hiking harder, farther, finding an overlooked area, getting lucky and having a great adventure in general success or not. To me it's not about success but the challenge, getting out there and having an adventure. If it were too easy I don't know if I'd love it so much.That goes for all animals, not just sheep. LEH without a conservation concern is for people who like putting in minimal effort and don't appreciate the challenges that come with competition. That aside, I was up in the Northern Rockies in a popular drainage, talked about on here a lot, in late September and did not see another hunter. Just sheep, goats and caribou. If it were leh I might not have had the opportunity to experience the beauty of the Northern Rockies.
Thanks to all who still post their pictures and stories, although the drama keeps it interesting my favorite is the trip reports.

stoneguide
08-06-2011, 10:24 AM

LOL well ill gladly discuss my personal life with anyone thinking it concerns them but it will have to be in person and ill buy the beer! If you guys wish to battle wits and put your hunting knowledge to good use and contribute to the threads ill gladly join you on here. I see that so far you haven't posted anything worth while On this thread yet. And tilt goes for you also Todd. If you have to resort to what you have posted in sure there is nothing you can contribute to any fellow hunters!

todbartell
08-06-2011, 10:33 AM
I'm just here for the entertainment

Gateholio
08-06-2011, 11:22 AM
I suppose it's time to lock this. Anyone wanting to discuss LEH or related topics, please use the "NEW THREAD" button.