PDA

View Full Version : Question about the tat.

bwhnter
07-28-2011, 09:59 PM
I have a friend that is headed up to hunt the Tat. He was wondering what the river crossing was like and any tips that people are willing to share. he leave at 4 am and i think that he is a little nervous about high water levels. Since i have never been there i thought that i would see what you guys that have been there have to say.

Thanks in advance.

mfarrally
07-28-2011, 10:12 PM
Not too bad when I went accross. There are two in a row then your off to the races. Take your time and find the shallow sections

jml11
07-28-2011, 10:39 PM
The river levels are also controlled by the rate of glacier melt...so on hotter days the rivers are higher later in the day, lowest first thing in the morning.

Last year the Tat was knee deep going in (am) and waist deep coming out (afternoon). It was very hot when I was up there too and didn't rain much. I imagine a severe rain event would cause the rivers to rise quickly though. FYI They are damn cold!!! The parton is smaller than the tat and is braided where you cross so it as much easier crossing. Both crossings are within the first 500m of trail so he will find out quickly if it is doable or not!

bwhnter
07-29-2011, 06:16 AM
Thanks i will let him know he is just about in fort Nelson by now.

srupp
07-29-2011, 06:33 AM
Good luck to him.....and straight shooting....looking forward to a great read....

cheers
Steven

Call of the Wild
07-29-2011, 06:48 AM
Good info, on a side note what's to expect for river level in North East BC (Alaska hwy to east range)? With all the rain we had the last two months I'm wondering about river and creek condition for crossing.

Best of luck for the hunt!

MattB
07-29-2011, 07:51 AM
I'm guessing the rivers could be higher this year and there is going to be more snow in the mountains. Bringing a small rubber dingy would be a good idea for the first 2 crossings. Everything else is a breeze!

bcmulie
07-29-2011, 08:17 AM
At the first river crossing the road runs right down to the river. Don't go straight across there, as it's pretty deep. Your buddy should angle upstream from where the road runs down to the river, as it's much shallower that way. The second river crossing wasn't an issue at all when I was in there. Good luck to your buddy.

Alan

bwhnter
07-29-2011, 10:12 AM
I passed on all the info. Thanks a lot he doesn't seem quite as nervous.

luckynuts
07-29-2011, 10:47 AM
Good info, on a side note what's to expect for river level in North East BC (Alaska hwy to east range)? With all the rain we had the last two months I'm wondering about river and creek condition for crossing.

Best of luck for the hunt!

Well I'm North of FSJ and I still can't access more than half of my remote wells on quad due to high water levels in the creeks even just quading on the pipelines many of them are to saturated for the 800:evil:. This has been one of the wettest years yet with more to come.

W.

07-29-2011, 10:50 AM
just tell him to be careful this doesnt happen...
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?56272-Why-you-shouldn-t-camp-on-a-gravel-bar...in-a-rain-storm...&highlight=flooded
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/jflex48/36050_480063765055_577910055_7288057_1016992_n.jpg

Just Joshin ya, This is a different river. But your thread made me think of this :)

Call of the Wild
07-29-2011, 01:25 PM
Well I'm North of FSJ and I still can't access more than half of my remote wells on quad due to high water levels in the creeks even just quading on the pipelines many of them are to saturated for the 800:evil:. This has been one of the wettest years yet with more to come.

W.

You're right it's been a very wet year. I still have my job in Peace River AB area and the water level is very high from the Peace River it self to ponds and small creeks around here. Mostly flat land here and I'm starting to wonder if I'll be able to access my sheep spot at the end of August. I'm going to scout/stash salt and few beers for three days mid August and working on a couple back up plan. I'll know more then for sure.

Also By then some guys will be back into civilisation and will know the condition then for us guys going later, either way I'm heading out in a month so it can change by then. One thing I know for sure is the bugs are VERY bad this year.