PDA

View Full Version : where can we catch lake fish? 1st timers

new trigger
07-28-2011, 02:51 PM
The wife and I don't fish yet, but have her sisters kids for a week how have never been outside of the city and we're going camping in the Chilliwack lake area.
Can anyone help with an idea of ware we can try fishing and hopefully some suggestions of what to use for bait.
I know I'll have to get a license, but hoping to have some good fun trying and maybe get lucky and catch something

Thanks for any help you can offer

bforce750
07-28-2011, 02:54 PM
Chilliwack Lake is a great place to fish , trolling or ancored dropping roe in about 60ft of water....you can't beat it probably the best fishing lake from Abby to Hope...good luck

bforce750
07-28-2011, 02:58 PM
Ohhh yes, if you dont have a boat, its pretty tough to catch anything ,,,but if you drive to the left side of the lake where the big creeks enter you can fish roe on the bottom and catch some really nice dollies

noahs ark
07-28-2011, 04:16 PM
chilliwack river is open to trout fishing right now but remember most rainbows are returning steelies and all wild fish must be released.
These eager buggers will smash just about anything just float and a bit of wool.

andrewscag
07-30-2011, 08:57 AM
Fred's Custom Tackle out in Chilliwack is a very good resource both online and in person. Along with the advice you get there, they usually have a pretty good idea of whats going on and where and can set you up if you need anything to get out. Its still a just bit early right now, but the salmon will be running hard in the Vedder/Chiliwack very soon. If your borrowed kids are in to fishing you might want to swing by the river and check out some guys pulling them in. Good oportunity to teach them about the salmon life cycle, see some fish, and walk along a beautiful river. Course then you'll want to try yourself so don't say I didn't warn you!

RayHill
07-30-2011, 10:45 AM
The water is up to high right now in the Vedder, it might take a month to come down.

new hunter
07-30-2011, 11:06 AM
If your new to fishing I suggest the old fashioned float and worm , it has yet to fail me .
Get yourself some berkley power bait as well {trout }. I usually set a 3 foot lead off a torpedo float {you can put a drop of water inside the float for extra weight , then bomb it way out their } , then bait a number 8 bait holder with half a worm , then put about a dime sized peice of power bait around the head of your hook , just above the worm .
I have found this bait combination works way better than just a worm or powerbait on its own and is pretty well fool proof .
If your kids are new to fishing this is probably your best bet as they are pretty much garunteed to get a few bites if not a fish { nothing turns kids off fishing like boredom }.
I don't know your skill level , but if your new to fishing I suggest you don't try fishing in the mid afternoon as this time of say is rarely productive . Take the kids swimming int the hot part of the day , then wait till around five or six at night before you get the rods out . You'll notice the fish start to jump as the day cools off , these hours are known as the bite and is when fish do most of their feeding .
If you want to try something a little more advanced than a foat I suggest you pick up a couple panther martin {spinners} , I like rainbow trout pattern , and plain silver if you can find it . Don't buy big lures, fish are oppurtunists and usually go after small tackle rather than large . The worm power bait combination has worked well for me when used on a spinner s well .
Feel free to p.m. me if you have any questions , I'm happy to help get a couple kids into fishing .

crazybushcreature
07-30-2011, 01:20 PM
The water is up to high right now in the Vedder, it might take a month to come down.

What u talking the river is too high. its high but not too high. lots of fishable water. just have to look for it. Ive seen a few guys walking out with there fish. And ive seen more jumpin and rolling. We had my buddies youngsters out the other day on the vedder fly fishing for trout. they had a blast caught a few lost a few was good times. Worm and bobber is always good. Wedding bands,crocs, flatfish. And yes freds is a great place to stop in and chat about fishin.

nature girl
07-30-2011, 02:47 PM
New Trigger you could always take the kids to a trout farm there are a couple in Mission.